Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2023-2024

Draconator

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He'll likely be better than the last 4 bums they fired.  Veteran NHL coaches "are available" because they have been fired.  

Appert can't be worse than the previous.  Ruff won't re-sign in 2 years so there will be yet another HC change.  

Team needs to be sold.

Who knows what the future holds. I speculated Ruff was not the long term coach here if he had a short contract. 2 year contract is easy to get out of.  If he takes us to the playoffs both years, or sniffs the cup, that oughta change.  If he’s winning, he should stay HC.

Plenty of teams in the pros have succession plans.  Doesn’t mean it has to be followed.

IMO this is not a succession plan. Ruff and Adams are now tied together and have 2 years to turn this thing around or they are both gone. There's no guarantee a new GM is going to promote an assistant.

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He'll likely be better than the last 4 bums they fired.  Veteran NHL coaches "are available" because they have been fired.  

Appert can't be worse than the previous.  Ruff won't re-sign in 2 years so there will be yet another HC change.  

Team needs to be sold.

Let me guess.  Bob Kraft?

4 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Who knows what the future holds. I speculated Ruff was not the long term coach here if he had a short contract. 2 year contract is easy to get out of.  If he takes us to the playoffs both years, or sniffs the cup, that oughta change.  If he’s winning, he should stay HC.

Plenty of teams in the pros have succession plans.  Doesn’t mean it has to be followed.

In other words, he'll be gone after 2 years.

On 5/14/2024 at 3:00 AM, davefan66 said:

I don't think Ruff wants to be the head coach past two years. Appert is his successor while Lindy will move into the front office as PoHO. That assumes the Sabres make the playoffs and generally improve.

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn’t assume the 2 year contract has anything to do with how long Lindy wants to coach… The Devils gave him an extension late in 2023. It runs for 2 more years.

So for the next 2 years the devils are paying a portion of Ruff’s salary. I think the 2 year contract likely has a lot more to do with that than how long Ruff wants to coach. He’s never even mentioned retirement.

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Years of banging your head against the wall deadens the pain!  😆

Nothing lasts forever. We'll suck again. The universe will return to balance.

I saw this on cbssports.com. How the heck is Utah listed as an "expansion" franchise? They're an existing team that moved. Am I missing something?

2024 NHL Draft lottery

1. San Jose Sharks

2. Chicago Blackhawks

3. Anaheim Ducks

4. Columbus Bluejackets

5. Montreal Canadiens

6. Utah* (Expansion franchise)

7. Ottawa Senators

8. Seattle Kraken

9. Calgary Flames

10. New Jersey Devils

11. Buffalo Sabres

12. Philadelphia Flyers

13. Minnesota Wild

14. Pittsburgh Penguins

15. Detroit Red Wings

16. St. Louis Blues

Frank Seravalli on X: "Sources say Craig Berube will be named the 41st head coach in Toronto Maple #Leafs history. Expect an announcement soon. @DailyFaceoff #LeafsForever" / X

31 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Frank Seravalli on X: "Sources say Craig Berube will be named the 41st head coach in Toronto Maple #Leafs history. Expect an announcement soon. @DailyFaceoff #LeafsForever" / X

Yeah, no surprise there.

I still think it’s a downgrade from Keefe.

I am really curious to see how he has the team play, and what changes the GM makes to the roster. Knowing the type of team Treliving and Berube prefer, I wonder if they’ll transition towards more of a “tough” team now (vs. skilled).

I feel like his system is a poor fit for their current roster. He coaches a hard-nosed, hard forechecking, dump&chase + grind it out along the boards style of play. I don’t see that as a fit for this skilled leafs roster.

Maybe I’m wrong though. Or maybe he changes up his preferred system (doubtful). 

• 2 weeks later...