Juneteenth 2023

9 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Juneteenth is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the emancipation of enslaved African Americans.

Any plans for your day off?  I'm going to a celebration of it at a college.

You all?

I work summer school, no days off. I though did not realize it was a federal holiday.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Juneteenth is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the emancipation of enslaved African Americans.

You all?

Great new holiday.  Long overdue. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

You all?

Meh…It’s Pride month, man…Juneteenth would just take away from my d!ck cutting celebration! 😉

• Haha (+1) 7

What an awesome holiday. We celebrate the country living up to it's own promises of universal human rights. A victory over those who were so racist they would fight and die to keep slavery legal and try to expand it across the country and continent. Glory to the Union army for bringing freedom to the south and starting a reformation in regards to how we view our human family. 

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/stories/historical-legacy-juneteenth

On “Freedom’s Eve,” or the eve of January 1, 1863, the first Watch Night services took place. On that night, enslaved and free African Americans gathered in churches and private homes all across the country awaiting news that the Emancipation Proclamation had taken effect. At the stroke of midnight, prayers were answered as all enslaved people in Confederate States were declared legally free. Union soldiers, many of whom were black, marched onto plantations and across cities in the south reading small copies of the Emancipation Proclamation spreading the news of freedom in Confederate States. Only through the Thirteenth Amendment did emancipation end slavery throughout the United States.

But not everyone in Confederate territory would immediately be free. Even though the Emancipation Proclamation was made effective in 1863, it could not be implemented in places still under Confederate control. As a result, in the westernmost Confederate state of Texas, enslaved people would not be free until much later. Freedom finally came on June 19, 1865, when some 2,000 Union troops arrived in Galveston Bay, Texas. The army announced that the more than 250,000 enslaved black people in the state, were free by executive decree. This day came to be known as "Juneteenth," by the newly freed people in Texas. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

What an awesome holiday. We celebrate the country living up to it's own promises of universal human rights. A victory over those who were so racist they would fight and die to keep slavery legal and try to expand it across the country and continent. Glory to the Union army for bringing freedom to the south and starting a reformation in regards to how we view our human family. 

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/stories/historical-legacy-juneteenth

On “Freedom’s Eve,” or the eve of January 1, 1863, the first Watch Night services took place. On that night, enslaved and free African Americans gathered in churches and private homes all across the country awaiting news that the Emancipation Proclamation had taken effect. At the stroke of midnight, prayers were answered as all enslaved people in Confederate States were declared legally free. Union soldiers, many of whom were black, marched onto plantations and across cities in the south reading small copies of the Emancipation Proclamation spreading the news of freedom in Confederate States. Only through the Thirteenth Amendment did emancipation end slavery throughout the United States.

But not everyone in Confederate territory would immediately be free. Even though the Emancipation Proclamation was made effective in 1863, it could not be implemented in places still under Confederate control. As a result, in the westernmost Confederate state of Texas, enslaved people would not be free until much later. Freedom finally came on June 19, 1865, when some 2,000 Union troops arrived in Galveston Bay, Texas. The army announced that the more than 250,000 enslaved black people in the state, were free by executive decree. This day came to be known as "Juneteenth," by the newly freed people in Texas. 

Personally I find the holiday very moving, for many of the reasons you articulated.   Liberty is such a precious and fragile thing, and this holiday celebrates the extension of that concept and ideal.  It is beautiful. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Hoax.

I will not be duped by this racist thread @redtail hawk

His call for a "celebration" of juneteenth at a college is really a call for a bigoted, racist protest at the college. I know this because I know what he really means. It's that simple. 

So...we know what you're really saying here @redtail hawk. See precedent of "peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard" REALLY meant to do an insurrection. You know when you know, amirite @redtail hawk?

Edited by BillsFanNC

Just now, BillsFanNC said:

I will not be duped by this racist thread @redtail hawk

His call for a "celebration" of juneteenth at a college is really a call for a bigoted, racist protest at the college. I know this because I know what he really means. It's that simple. 

So...we know what you're really saying here @redtail hawk. See precedent of "peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard" REALLY meant to do an insurrection. You know when you know, amirite @redtail hawk?

What's stopping you from starting another hate thread?

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillStime said:

What's stopping you from starting another hate thread?

Probably his meager intelligence.  He just hadn’t thought of it yet.  Too busy looking at his pet rock and wondering why it doesn’t move to think of ginning up a little more hate. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

right thread?

Thank god the races weren’t reversed otherwise we would have another summer of love on our hands. Then they would have to invent another holiday to appease the mostly peaceful protesters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1