Juneteenth 2023

its interesting to see the corporate and Limousine liberals hijacking Juneteenth.

Wonder if they even realize the best part is after hours.  you know, when they run back to the enclaves.

Been going to it for decades.  Always been a local event.  

the date/naming is interesting though.  Thats like NY not celebrating July fourth, till November 3rd to mark the end of the war.  or maybe November 3rd as that's when the enemy stopped occupying NY.

Edited by Chris farley

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

What an awesome holiday. We celebrate the country living up to it's own promises of universal human rights. A victory over those who were so racist they would fight and die to keep slavery legal and try to expand it across the country and continent. Glory to the Union army for bringing freedom to the south and starting a reformation in regards to how we view our human family. 

https://nmaahc.si.edu/explore/stories/historical-legacy-juneteenth

On “Freedom’s Eve,” or the eve of January 1, 1863, the first Watch Night services took place. On that night, enslaved and free African Americans gathered in churches and private homes all across the country awaiting news that the Emancipation Proclamation had taken effect. At the stroke of midnight, prayers were answered as all enslaved people in Confederate States were declared legally free. Union soldiers, many of whom were black, marched onto plantations and across cities in the south reading small copies of the Emancipation Proclamation spreading the news of freedom in Confederate States. Only through the Thirteenth Amendment did emancipation end slavery throughout the United States.

But not everyone in Confederate territory would immediately be free. Even though the Emancipation Proclamation was made effective in 1863, it could not be implemented in places still under Confederate control. As a result, in the westernmost Confederate state of Texas, enslaved people would not be free until much later. Freedom finally came on June 19, 1865, when some 2,000 Union troops arrived in Galveston Bay, Texas. The army announced that the more than 250,000 enslaved black people in the state, were free by executive decree. This day came to be known as "Juneteenth," by the newly freed people in Texas. 

Now do the the glorious Union army and the Apache

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

It’s ironic that someone who venerates Irv Weinstein could be so uniformed.  

Honestly - what is it?  I also don't know what venerate means.  Is that like giving somebody an STD?  You better watch your tongue.  Irv never gave anybody the clap.

Edited by Irv
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Irv said:

Honestly - what is it?  I also don't know what venerate means.  Is that like giving somebody an STD?  You better watch your tongue.  Irv never gave anybody the clap.

Google it (Juneteenth).  As far as the clap goes, I’ll invoke Johnny Drama.  Hopefully Irv was at least a suspect at some point in time. 

14 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Google it (Juneteenth).  As far as the clap goes, I’ll invoke Johnny Drama.  Hopefully Irv was at least a suspect at some point in time. 

its interesting how fast this moved to being a thing/Holiday 

10 years ago, no one outside the inner cities had a clue. 

6 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Juneteenth is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the emancipation of enslaved African Americans.

Any plans for your day off?  I'm going to a celebration of it at a college.

You all?

College?  Why not head down to an actual event. you can't be that far from an urban area. 

6 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Juneteenth is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the emancipation of enslaved African Americans.

Any plans for your day off?  I'm going to a celebration of it at a college.

You all?

My company which supplies the hardware that keeps Ukraine in the fight and occasionally serves Americans too, is backward racially though ver forward thinking when it comes to lgbtqia2s+ or whatever acronym Trudeau could not spit out yesterday. Anyway, it sounds very nice. Please promise that you will take precautions. You are likely to encounter black Americans. As we all know, that is a group with significant vaccine hesitancy. I’m not worried about you getting deadly coronavirus from them but per your description these people are stupid and selfish. Please be careful out there. 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

My company which supplies the hardware that keeps Ukraine in the fight and occasionally serves Americans too, is backward racially though ver forward thinking when it comes to lgbtqia2s+ or whatever acronym Trudeau could not spit out yesterday. Anyway, it sounds very nice. Please promise that you will take precautions. You are likely to encounter black Americans. As we all know, that is a group with significant vaccine hesitancy. I’m not worried about you getting deadly coronavirus from them but per your description these people are stupid and selfish. Please be careful out there. 

that's probably a few reasons its going to a college vs the actual events in the cities across the nation.

32 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

its interesting how fast this moved to being a thing/Holiday 

10 years ago, no one outside the inner cities had a clue. 

College?  Why not head down to an actual event. you can't be that far from an urban area. 

This will be a good one.  The guy organizing it spoke to my Rotary club- obliged to this one.

2 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

This will be a good one.  The guy organizing it spoke to my Rotary club- obliged to this one.

LMAO. 

I hope you have a good time.

But the best ones are not on college campuses with rules and cops all over.  just saying

Just now, Chris farley said:

LMAO. 

I hope you have a good time.

But the best ones are not on college campuses with rules and cops all over.  just saying

Will there be any looting and burning? If not, then it's a terrible protest.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Westside said:

Will there be any ex slaves giving speeches? 

descendants of slaves, yes.  I'll bet they have a great event at the Harriet Tubman underground railroad sculpture on the Niagara.  Some amazing stories and proud moments for WNY

https://www.niagarafallsusa.com/media/online-press-kit/discover-the-secrets-of-the-underground-railroad/

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1