Smoke

Process

40 minutes ago, Process said:

Geez it's bad in Buffalo but not like this. 

I'm on Long Island and this afternoon it got pretty bad. Not as dramatic as the video you posted but same basic idea - everything had an orange tinge to it and it got pretty dark out.  

• Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I had no idea what it was the last few days all the way down here in Carolina. It was bad yesterday. We had rain today but if you smell closely (I don't know how to describe it????) You can still get a hint of smoke/burning. 

Monday and Tuesday were smokey af. No idea there was a wildfire tho 

On 6/6/2023 at 5:15 PM, muppy said:

that is the freakiest part about the smoke effect. The sky takes on a pale orange effect and soot will gather on your car windows when it is really bad. Be  glad you aren't evacuated like I' ve had to be twice already. Pack your car fast and get Out. It royally sucks.

In socal we get "santa ana winds" which spur wild fires. NOT my favorite thing. 

Hey Muppy, it's the artist formerly known as KzooMike.....I arrived about a month ago. Does this area actually deal with fires? I always assumed it was further north. 

On 6/6/2023 at 4:15 PM, muppy said:

that is the freakiest part about the smoke effect. The sky takes on a pale orange effect and soot will gather on your car windows when it is really bad. Be  glad you aren't evacuated like I' ve had to be twice already. Pack your car fast and get Out. It royally sucks.

In socal we get "santa ana winds" which spur wild fires. NOT my favorite thing. 

With the Santa Ana's... Isn't there a psychological effect too?   People get a squirrelly?

https://la.curbed.com/2016/4/6/11350250/santa-ana-wind-weather-health

Makes people all crazy:

"There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands’ necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge."

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Hey Muppy, it's the artist formerly known as KzooMike.....I arrived about a month ago. Does this area actually deal with fires? I always assumed it was further north. 

well fires have not come dangerously close to me YET.  There was a fire called the Witchcreek that came the closest and we were evacuated. That fire line jumped from the I-15 across 7 lanes to I-163 and crossed that too. Crazy burned both sides near Miramar.

I really depends where you are located. San Diego is a Huge county

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

With the Santa Ana's... Isn't there a psychological effect too?   People get a squirrelly?

Makes people all crazy:

"There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands’ necks. Anything can happen. You can even get a full glass of beer at a cocktail lounge."

I call them the devil winds hermano. NO BUENO

Was visiting family near Ken West yesterday, and it was pretty bad: both hazy and you could smell the smoke.  Naturally they wanted to sit outside, so today I have a bit of a smoke hangover (is that a thing?).

In Niagara County (Lewiston) it's hazy but surprisingly the smoke smell is minute.

Apparently smoke has gotten as far as Washington, DC area.  

USPTO is allowing employees to take Thursday and Friday as unscheduled telecommute days for employees (nothing said for contractors).  They have done same for snow forecast of an inch so does not necessarily mean very serious.

Smoke on the waaaaattteerr.....

16 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm on Long Island and this afternoon it got pretty bad. Not as dramatic as the video you posted but same basic idea - everything had an orange tinge to it and it got pretty dark out.  

We got up to 230 around 1pm yesterday or so on terms of air quality index last night which is in the very unhealthy range in WNY, but Rochester and Syracuse and places East got the brunt...

Syracuse/Binghamton had an air quality index of 460 at one point yesterday, anything above 300 is considered hazardous and recommendations are that everyone remain indoors at all times at that point.

NYC max was 413, so it was slightly worse in the east central part of the state...NWS had a Twitter post in Binghamton at 9am showing the same orange sky and the lights were still on, temps not moving around 50 degrees due to sun being blocked.

Has been greatly improving now as winds shifted, all the way down to 97 now here which is in the moderate zone...

Index only goes up to 500 so that kinda shows how crazy it's been...

Edited by Big Turk

32 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Smoke on the waaaaattteerr.....

We got up to 230 around 1pm yesterday or so on terms of air quality index last night which is in the very unhealthy range in WNY, but Rochester and Syracuse and places East got the brunt...

Syracuse/Binghamton had an air quality index of 460 at one point yesterday, anything above 300 is considered hazardous and recommendations are that everyone remain indoors at all times at that point.

NYC max was 413, so it was slightly worse in the east central part of the state...NWS had a Twitter post in Binghamton at 9am showing the same orange sky and the lights were still on, temps not moving around 50 degrees due to sun being blocked.

Has been greatly improving now as winds shifted, all the way down to 97 now here which is in the moderate zone...

Index only goes up to 500 so that kinda shows how crazy it's been...

According to the article below, NYC had their worst ever recorded air quality data yesterday - and ironically it was on the same day that  Canada was celebrating National Clean Air Day.  You can't make this stuff up.

https://nypost.com/2023/06/08/new-york-city-recorded-worst-ever-air-quality/

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Related only partially because it was so stupid.

My office went into lockdown today. Someone asked if it was due to the smoke outside. In full view of SWAT and about 60 cops around our building because a suspected armed person at a nearby building.

Smoke causing lockdowns! 🤣🤭🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, boyst said:

Related only partially because it was so stupid.

My office went into lockdown today. Someone asked if it was due to the smoke outside. In full view of SWAT and about 60 cops around our building because a suspected armed person at a nearby building.

Smoke causing lockdowns! 🤣🤭🤷🏼‍♂️

The bad part is that SWAT is mostly ineffective against smoke.  Their bullets go right through it as if it is Keanu in the matrix.  I suppose it’s possible they could scare it away.

Edited by 4merper4mer

On 6/7/2023 at 11:39 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Makes people all crazy:

Great song by extremely talented people. I saw them last year at Jones Beach. Even without Becker they were stunningly great.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

The bad part is that SWAT is mostly ineffective against smoke.  Their bullets go right through it as if it is Keanu in the matrix.  I suppose it’s possible they could scare it away.

depends how dark the smoke is....?

• 3 weeks later...

Well this summer is going to freakin suck.

Going back to last November, this might be the craziest, worst year of weather I've experienced in WNY. And that's saying something.

7ft snow storm

Once in a generation Christmas blizzard

Earthquake

Wildfires

90 degree highs in April

60 degree highs in June

Good times!

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Process said:

Well this summer is going to freakin suck.

Going back to last November, this might be the craziest, worst year of weather I've experienced in WNY. And that's saying something.

7ft snow storm

Once in a generation Christmas blizzard

Earthquake

Wildfires

90 degree highs in April

60 degree highs in June

Good times!

Hey, it could be the summer of 1988 (I think).

Around that time (could have been '87) summer literally never came to WNY.  The calendar advanced and we got into the good months.  It was sunny and "nice" out, sort of, but it never really warmed up, and I recall mostly daily highs in the '60s.  Eventually summer passed, and it started actually getting cold again, and I thought "here we go, another 9 months to go before we maybe get some warm weather again."

These are the formative memories/years in my past which made sure I would not remain in WNY as an adult.

Life is way too short.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.