SI dumping all over McDermott at #22

Toyo321

1 hour ago, Augie said:

THIS is going well…….

(In my best Church Lady voice.) 

Ummm, do other things bother you like this? I mean, there is help out there. Gotta be a gag. 

Yes, yes there is.  Need to first admit that problem before it can be fixed......

On 5/30/2023 at 10:32 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills?  The Chiefs don't prioritize the secondary anywhere near as much as the Bills.   People forget they let Mathieu AND Charvarius Ward walk last offseason.   They have no money invested there to speak of and only the 1 high pick.   The investments between the 2 teams are quite an extreme contrast.      

KC makes substantial changes in an off-season when something hasn't worked. In addition to those 2 safeties leaving in one shot, within the past few off-seasons they (1) re-did 3/5ths of their OL in one off-season, (2) moved on from Hill's contract and replaced with a couple lower-cost options, and before that (3) traded Dee Ford to replace him with Frank Clark when the pass rush was not up to par.  

These aren't knee-jerk reactions either, but proactive moves toward continuous improvement.  And these changes have largely worked because they anticipated better where the roster needed to be, not where it was.  For example, I doubt Reid and Veach would have hesitated at all with letting Edmunds walk or continued over-looking the WR position if Davis was their WR2. 

I have my doubts about whether McBeane, but mostly McD will ever be a good steward of Josh's talents.  Drafting Kincaid is a step in the right direction though. Going to be interesting how they replace the 2 aging safeties...because more high picks shouldn't always be the default answer like it's been at CB.   

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, BillsVet said:

KC makes substantial changes in an off-season when something hasn't worked. In addition to those 2 safeties leaving in one shot, within the past few off-seasons they (1) re-did 3/5ths of their OL in one off-season, (2) moved on from Hill's contract and replaced with a couple lower-cost options, and before that (3) traded Dee Ford to replace him with Frank Clark when the pass rush was not up to par.  

These aren't knee-jerk reactions either, but proactive moves toward continuous improvement.  And these changes have largely worked because they anticipated better where the roster needed to be, not where it was.  For example, I doubt Reid and Veach would have hesitated at all with letting Edmunds walk or continued over-looking the WR position if Davis was their WR2. 

I have my doubts about whether McBeane, but mostly McD will ever be a good steward of Josh's talents.  Drafting Kincaid is a step in the right direction though. Going to be interesting how they replace the 2 aging safeties...because more high picks shouldn't always be the default answer like it's been at CB.   

Yeah Reid is a much more seasoned head coach and I think we've seen McBeane learning on the fly.    When Reid was with Philly it wasn't as efficient of a process.  Benefits of experience are evident.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah Reid is a much more seasoned head coach and I think we've seen McBeane learning on the fly.    When Reid was with Philly it wasn't as efficient of a process.  Benefits of experience are evident.

Mahomes far greater than McNab, that is the main difference between Philly Reid and KC Reid. 

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm coming around now on the learning curve thing not being as quick with certain NFL HC's and GM's.  Not going to be as quick sometimes as others, that mistakes get made, and taking a step back happens.  Still can't afford a playoff exit like the last 2 seasons.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/27/2023 at 6:54 PM, GETTOTHE50 said:

McD is a top 10 coach. His in game management still needs to get better, but he keeps the team in check.

He lead the team through the shooting.

He lead the team through the blizzard.

He lead the team and saved the NFL from itself with Hamlin.

The team still went 13-3 last year with all of that going on.

McD is one of the best leaders in the NFL and easily a top 10 coach.

Like... the culture shift from loser to winner has been drastic.  Playoffs in 5/6 years.  3 straight division titles.  

Andy Reid went 8-8 and then 4-12 before he was let go by Philadelphia.  I would think it'd take 2 non-playoff years, and even then it needs to be like... non-allen injury related.  If we had to tear down to the studs in a year or two (obviously building around allen), i would probably want a culture type coach like this in the building to rebuild.  

23 hours ago, BillsVet said:

I'm hopeful of a benford switch to safety.  He's usually a sound tackler and has some ball skills, and the size for the position.  The challenge will be run fits and angles.  

this poll is so much off season click bait. Expectations are justifiably high and Clappy should feel pressure. Pro sports is a results business and his window is past the halfway point. We need to catch KC with a SB hangover this year

On 5/27/2023 at 6:21 PM, Toyo321 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-head-coach-rankings-andy-reid-bill-belichick#:~:text=NFL Coach Rankings%3A Bills' Sean,22nd among active head coaches.\\

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/rankings/nfl-head-coaching-rankings-which-teams-coach-reigns-supreme/

Sport Illustrated just dumped on him based on The 33rd Team analysis.  I do believe this year he seriously is in the hot seat, now that he to has call the D this year on top of the head coaching duties.

I guess we will see.

As I have said here for I think 3 years now, he absolutely WILL BE ON THE HOT SEAT at some point....

When that point is, only Terry Pegula can say.

And from now until then, a sizable portion of this forum will continue to laugh at such suggestions...they will still be laughing the day his termination is announced, and then say "Wait a minute!  This is nuts!"

Here's the thing to remember: just because the Bills have had a long line or HORRIFIC HCs over the years, doesn't mean our own coaching history is the standard of review for McDermott.

He needs to perform in comparison to the BEST in the LEAGUE.

If he can't, improve him!

Of course, how Terry Pegula would do that is another matter. LOL

Just let Beane find someone and retain him as GM; that would work..

• Agree 1

On 6/1/2023 at 10:34 AM, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I'm hopeful of a benford switch to safety.  He's usually a sound tackler and has some ball skills, and the size for the position.  The challenge will be run fits and angles.  

We're talking strategic and not tactical decision making, i.e. individual personnel moves.  

Former 7th round picks moving around in the secondary aren't strategic moves that will improve the W-L record much. 

JA17 and Von and everyone else making stupid money on this team should pony up money to for a slush fund to get DeAndre.  Hell if you want a super bowl so badly for you team pony up the Dough!!!  Make it happen this year.

Yeah its a business and yeah its a lot of money.  But a super bowl victory is priceless!!!

I’m a McD fan but man if Ross Tucker didn’t make a seriously compelling argument about why McD isn’t a top 15 coach. He did a brilliant job laying out the rationale, mainly McD being consistently out coached in the playoffs. I love McD, I love everything he’s done for the franchise and city. I’m not throwing in the towel in any way but it’s on my radar that there’s a possibility he isn’t the guy to get us to the promised land. I hope I’m wrong because I love McClappy. This is going to be a big year.

On 5/31/2023 at 6:47 AM, Toyo321 said:

This article says it all and is spot on why McD is not the answer.  He will never change because he refuses to admit & fix his shortcomings as the head coach.

https://www.golongtd.com/p/sean-mcdermott-surrenders-again

Everything in this article is 100% spot on.

Just like our loveable Marv, you can't help but root for McDermott. Great man of integrity and brought this team out of 17 years of useless football.  But just like Marv, Sean gets outcoached and dismantled in the playoffs.  I often wonder what a more successful coach would've done with a 16-0 lead in Houston or with 13 seconds left in KC.  Maybe tell Farwell to stay put as you run out on the field with your ST and tell them EXACTLY what you want them to do.  Last year I'll chalk it up to "Hamlin exhaustion".  But Sean is quickly running out of excuses. Farwell takes the fall in 21, Leslie in 22.  Is it Dorsey's turn in 23?  Josh would have to play out of his mind to cover up some of these game management warts.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Clutch points has him at #5.

"For a defensive minded coach in a highly offensively garnered game, McDermott has done wonders in Buffalo. He's done that by putting together good staffs along with a highly-talented roster. Sure, not getting past the divisional round is concerning, but that doesn't change the fact that McDermott has completely changed the face of the AFC East and kept the Bills in constant Super Bowl talks."

https://clutchpoints.com/top-10-nfl-head-coaches-entering-2023-season-ranked

Edited by OldNMBillsFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.