Is Desantis the best new candidate since Obama?

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Why? 

Because he's suffering from a progressive neurological disorder which will eventually result in death.  I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  We went through this with my father a few years ago.  What I don't understand is why the wife and family would put the husband and father through the extra strain and stress of public office rather than providing the care and comfort most patients in this condition are provided? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, All_Pro_Bills said:

Because he's suffering from a progressive neurological disorder which will eventually result in death.  I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  We went through this with my father a few years ago.  What I don't understand is why the wife and family would put the husband and father through the extra strain and stress of public office rather than providing the care and comfort most patients in this condition are provided? 

Oh, ok 

3 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I’m mocking you guys. The way you worship trump is ghey

if it was just that, it would be one thing, but obviously his beef was about more than tax breaks 

Once again your reading comprehension skills are REALLY challenged. I didn’t say that was the target. I said that’s the tool he used to get the result he wanted. It’s done all the time in government. Sheeesh 

56 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That would be nice. 

also, Disney is a public company not private and Democrats are the party of big business in 2023. That’s changed markedly. Don’t take my word look at the money. 

Oh yeah dumb on my part.  

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

It is a sign of poor leadership. This Meatball wants to be president of the United States? Is he going to have a beef with every American company that doesn't buy into his "anti-woke" BS?  

he is anti-business cannot be trusted to not personal in that environment

He used the lever of power available to a Governor. When he was interviewed the other night he was asked if he would do the same as President and he said he wouldn’t have that lever available to him. I honestly don’t see what the fuss is about. He wants to keep some long held guardrails on the companies whose target market are the children of his State and he’s shown them that they aren’t going to get special tax privileges if they continue to veer outside of those guardrails. When a Democrat wins the office they can give this multibillion dollar corporation back their welfare. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

And you bought that BS? 

I didn’t say I bought it. I said he was asked the exact question that you were talking about, and that he answered it VERY specifically. But you wouldn’t know that because you just want to rant on and on about a candidate who literally just threw his hat in the ring. 

And so you’ll know that I’m not completely partisan, I’ve really enjoyed hearing from RFK Jr and what he’s had to say in this earliest part of the job interview. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

oh okay

well you shouldn't buy that bogus answer

I cannot imagine ever believing a guy who basically says "yeah, okay, you thought what I did was petty and overbearing but if you give me MORE power I obviously won't do things like that again"

Sheeesh! Once again, reading is your friend. He said he wouldn’t do THOSE things because he wouldn’t have THOSE powers or authorities as President. Try and expand where you get your talking points. 

23 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I didn’t say I bought it. I said he was asked the exact question that you were talking about, and that he answered it VERY specifically. But you wouldn’t know that because you just want to rant on and on about a candidate who literally just threw his hat in the ring. 

And so you’ll know that I’m not completely partisan, I’ve really enjoyed hearing from RFK Jr and what he’s had to say in this earliest part of the job interview. 

Destantis has a hell of a resume.  I would much rather see him in there than Trump or the demented mush head President (or whoever is running the Executive Branch) we have now.  Also agree.  RFK jr. would be a much better choice than slush brain Biden.  What a mess.  

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BillStime said:

I really don’t understand why these idiots come here when the cult created a safe place for them and the other degenerates.

https://www.billsfans.com/forums/

So let me see if I understand. You’re upset because I’d like people to stop dragging EVERY discussion into the verbal discourse gutter? And for that utterly noble effort you label me as a degenerate… okay. 

16 minutes ago, Irv said:

Destantis has a hell of a resume.  I would much rather see him in there than Trump or the demented mush head President (or whoever is running the Executive Branch) we have now.  Also agree.  RFK jr. would be a much better choice than slush brain Biden.  What a mess.  

Ronnie can't beat either of them. He is a loser 

• Haha (+1) 1

Florida is a very well-run state.  There's a reason why the population there is booming and it's not just the weather.  As an example, natural disasters that would cripple states for years, Florida recovers from in months or less.  Desantis doesn't deserve credit for all the successes but he's not a Hochul or Newsom whose states are losing population and clearly going backwards.  Voters see the success of Florida and will give Desantis some credit for that.  Many (myself included) have felt governors make the best presidents as they have held an executive roll where they had to work with a legislature and manage a state budget (among other responsibilities).  As such he has public sector executive level experience going for him as well.

US News Best State Rankings - FL is #10

CNBC America’s Top States for Business 2022: The full rankings - FL is #11

Best and Worst Run States in America: A Survey of All 50 - from 2020 FL is #9

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

We don't really need another DeSantis topic.

But since we have one ...

... his problem, the entire Republican Party's problem, is Trump.

He's allowed Trump (and his amibition) to push him into positions that make him a far less appealing candidate on the national stage. Trolling the libs gets you attention in the new Republican echo chamber. It doesn't help you win the states you'd need to win to actually become President. I like the resume. I think he's smart. I don't mind that he isn't a glad-hander -- we've had a few of those recently (Bush 43, Trump, Biden), and I don't see any of them going down in history as great Presidents. I'm fine with a more introverted, cerebral candidate. But I'm not sure that a more introverted, cerebral candidate pretending to be something he's not is electable.

• Like (+1) 1

Obama, for all his faults, had charisma that is unmatched by most modern politicians. That he ascended so quickly was no accident, but he didn't exactly hurt his case either. He also had the benefit of being up against two of the most unlikeable and boring ***** in modern American political history in his 2008 run (HRC and McCain). The contrast was incredible watching the primary and general season in 2008 unfold. 

DeSantis is a competent conservative governor, but ultimately he is another Romney/Cruz/Jeb up against the DJT juggernaut in the primary. Cruz 2016 is actually the best comparison I can find for DeSantis 2024: middle aged guy with a good conservative track record and qualifications with all of the right things *on paper*, but none of the charm, charisma, or timely levity required to sway the hoi polloi on the debate stage or in the primaries. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

23 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Cruz 2016 is actually the best comparison I can find for DeSantis 2024: middle aged guy with a good conservative track record and qualifications with all of the right things *on paper*, but none of the charm, charisma, or timely levity required to sway the hoi polloi on the debate stage or in the primaries

Agreed. To his credit, flat-out lying doesn't come naturally to him, which puts him at a disadvantage.

If you go back to his initial congressional campaigns, he really wasn't distinguishable from, say, Marco Rubio policy-wise; not as far to the conservative side as Cruz, but with some elements of that too. Which is probably an advantage in a general election, but first you gotta make it through the primaries, and that will be a challenge.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Obama, for all his faults, had charisma that is unmatched by most modern politicians. That he ascended so quickly was no accident, but he didn't exactly hurt his case either. He also had the benefit of being up against two of the most unlikeable and boring ***** in modern American political history in his 2008 run (HRC and McCain). The contrast was incredible watching the primary and general season in 2008 unfold. 

DeSantis is a competent conservative governor, but ultimately he is another Romney/Cruz/Jeb up against the DJT juggernaut in the primary. Cruz 2016 is actually the best comparison I can find for DeSantis 2024: middle aged guy with a good conservative track record and qualifications with all of the right things *on paper*, but none of the charm, charisma, or timely levity required to sway the hoi polloi on the debate stage or in the primaries. 

If DeSantis does win the Republican nomination, I would love to see him and Biden debate. The Dems would never allow it for the obvious reason.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

What a tool 

Mr. DeSantis has also repeatedly declined to answer directly whether President Biden was legally elected in 2020. He also disputed that the events of Jan. 6 constituted an insurrection, campaigned with election deniers in 2022 and even appointed someone who entered the Capitol on Jan. 6 as a state regulator in Florida.

• Haha (+1) 1