The Ravens’ LB Patrick Queen is rumored to be a trade candidate.

Tipster19

22 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I’m not clamoring to trade Oliver because I have a personal vendetta and/or to trade him just to trade him without a plan. I’ve been pounding the table now about getting a return on a high price asset. I found myself realizing this in the hindsight of Tremaine Edmunds walking out the door and getting nothing in return. If getting a compensatory pick as compensation for a high 1st rd draft pick works for you then fine but it doesn’t work for me. 

One other note. I watched Sal Capaccio the other night and he stated something that I found interesting. At no time under McDermott’s watch have we kept more than 4 DTs on the roster. We currently have 5.

You do understand we weren't getting higher than a 3rd Round Pick in exchange for Edmunds on a 1 year, 13 million dollar contract last season, right? 

You say we "got nothing". But we got last year out of him AND a 3rd Round Draft Pick out of it. That's more than we would have got trading him.

It's the same thing with Oliver. We're either getting him back or another team overpays for him and we'll get a 3rd Round Pick for him. And we'll have him for this season. There isn't a DT left on the market who wouldn't be a dropoff from him this season. So we'd be short changing ourselves for nothing.

Oliver was never going to be traded. If he were, it would be for peanuts. Teams don't trade for guys on one year deals that want to hit the market. If it were to have happened, it would have been by now to fill holes that we've already filled between FA and the Draft.

As for the team never carrying more than 4 DT's on the roster, that's simply false. We brought guys like Eli Ankou, C.J. Brewer, and Brandin Bryant up from the Practice Squad last season. I remember having 6 on the active roster at one point just last year.

2021 we started the season with Ed Oliver, Star Lotulelei, Harrison Phillips, Vernon Butler, and Justin Zimmer. So yeah, saying we've never carried more than 4 is not only wrong, it's fairly common for us to carry 5.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Ford is a primarily a nose tackle and Oliver is a three technique, so signing Ford does not make Oliver available for trade.  Maybe the Bills would part with Tim Settle in a trade, but Settle's disappointing 2022 season didn't do wonders for his trade value.  The key question the Bills would have to answer is why Queen was disappointing last season.  Would he perform that much better in McDermott's scheme?

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

At this stage trading him just leaves us with a huge hole. We will start the season with him as our best defensive lineman if Von is out. 

That would be great but Rousseau was by far the better player in 2022 and Ed has never approached that level of play over any significant period of time.  Ed has a couple big games every year where he looks like an All Pro but otherwise he's never been much more than average in any season(and was bad in 2020).   That has to change and SHOULD change.   He's much too talented to continue to be JAG.   My personal opinion is that he doesn't have the desire to be great and has been coasting on natural talent for the duration of his rookie deal waiting to get motivated by a contract year.   I'm not saying he dogs it but he doesn't prepare well enough to be able to play well without extra motivation(like Thanksgiving in front of the entire country).     They might have gotten a better prepared Oliver if they hadn't picked up the option.  

On 5/3/2023 at 2:58 PM, Rc2catch said:

He wants a contract, they definitely aren’t paying him. All that said similar to Oliver, best case for them is queen to have a career year, get a big free agent deal and reap the comp pick. 

And as much as we joke about Belichick being the wizard of compensatory picks, the Ravens are the actual masters of that. Even though they didn't have any this year they still have the most compensatory picks (55) since the system was instituted in 1994.

On 5/3/2023 at 6:16 PM, Mynamemike said:

I don’t like the idea of moving Ed in general especially to the ravens. Strong chance we meet them again the playoffs and I don’t want an extra motivated Oliver on the other side.  Let big Ed ride out the year and take the comp pick if he can’t be resigned imo. Now Ed to Arizona for Hopkins maybe that’s a deal I might consider.  

It's so funny to me that so many still harbor this dream.

On 5/3/2023 at 7:13 PM, Tipster19 said:

I watched Sal Capaccio the other night and he stated something that I found interesting. At no time under McDermott’s watch have we kept more than 4 DTs on the roster. We currently have 5.

That is interesting.

14 hours ago, SCBills said:

Also, have to wonder if they got sick and tired of playing injured DT’s and calling up PS squad guys all last year.

Good point.

On 5/3/2023 at 8:11 PM, JJGauna said:

Show me a 200+ page thread about him and I’ll consider it.

😂😂😂

17 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

But are they erudite sages of the game?

Or clueless luddites?

Or a mix?

You know, like us? 😁

😂😂

17 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

nice idea. Only problem is the guy blows.

😂😂😂

14 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Trading for Queen would be a drag...

😂

Funny stuff guys... thank you.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If the Ravens don’t want to keep a 1st round pick, he’s probably pretty garbage. But I’m sure there are a 1,000 Queen trades on Ravens’ boards like we have for Oliver. It’s like fans think no other team knows what players are good.

The difference is Ed is actually good. So it makes little sense to sell him for pennies. Whereas Queen... if Baltimore got a 5th back for him that would be a decent return. It is more akin to the Bills trading Cody Ford.

On 5/4/2023 at 9:26 AM, 4merper4mer said:

Let’s objectively analyze the approaches taken by both the Underpants gnomes and by you.

We can define #3, profit, the same way for both.  I’ll even give the Oliver crowd a bit of a break as I think you should,  Profit is revenue-cost.  We'll get to that in a minute as although I think you’re calculating the cost of Oliver correctly from a technical standpoint, you are calculating it incorrectly from a practical standpoint.  Given the definition of profit we’re employing we can proceed.

Step 1

Underpants Gnomes:

Step 1 for the gnomes is stealing underpants.  This establishes the cost of the underpants as near zero.  The only costs involved are the labor expended on the theft and the cost of the inventory.  In the episode, the gnomes look as if they have nothing better to do than steal the underpants and they appear to live in large caves with plenty of space and no rent so the inventory cost is negligible.  In effect their cost is zero.

You:

You’ve established our cost of Oliver as the first round pick we used, his 2023 cap hit plus the third round comp pick we won’t get if we trade or release him.  Releasing him gets us nothing in return for those costs other than the cap hit relief.  In order to profit from a trade, the value you seek needs to exceed your established cost.  I’d argue that you should not include the first round status as part of your cost because we’ve already received three years of play in return.  You don’t feel that play has been up to snuff, but even if it is a bad return, it is still a return.  In addition, we cannot go back in time and undo the pick.  Those costs are what is known as “sunk”.  I think in establishing whether a trade is “profitable” it should only be required to exceed the value of a 2024 3rd rounder plus the lost production we’d get from Oliver in 2023.  

Step 2

Underpants gnomes:

They appear clueless about how to proceed and achieve profit.  The obvious choice would be to sell the underpants and take whatever money they could get.  It would probably be a small number, but given the zero cost, a 100% margin.  Their problem is there isn’t really a market for used underpants.  If I were a management consultant employed by the gnomes I’d point out that they have already resorted to theft, which is wrong, but as long as they were doing that, they should steal piggy banks instead of underpants.  This way they could skip step 2 altogether. I would congratulate the gnomes on their objective and enthusiastic approach to their business despite its current lack of success.  Perhaps some day they will find a solution.

You:

if you agree that the cost of Oliver is a 2024 third plus his potential 2023 production, we can proceed.  When Oliver is gone we instantly receive the opportunity to repurpose his cap $ for 2023 so that would be at least part of the return.  I think you’re saying we could get more production from the use of those $ on other players either traded for or signed than from Oliver.  You haven’t named any players that I’ve seen but we can leave that to the side.  You haven’t named a team that would take Oliver and pay more than the 2024 third we’d already get.  You can’t really give an example of a player that has garnered more.  As a matter of fact, the most recent trade of a player in Oliver’s age range and relative status was D’Andre Swift, who netted a 2025 4th.  You’ve also left out how we’d utilize the $ saved on Oliver.  In a way you have more ??????? than the gnomes but still require higher standards.  If I were a management consultant employed by you, I’d quit.

Overall summary:

Both you and the Underpants Gnomes want to achieve profit and neither can figure out how.  

The gnomes have stalled in their attempt.  They realize they are stalled but continue to enthusiastically try to solve their problem.

You have a conundrum similar to the gnomes as there is no real solution to the problem as you’ve defined it.  In your own words, rather than maintaining enthusiasm in the pursuit of an answer, you’ve resorted to emotionally “pounding the table”.  

I’d say neither you nor the gnomes are likely to achieve your goals without resetting them or changing the approach.  It appears the gnomes have a better chance at success because of their slightly better use of logic and immensely better attitude.  Just my opinion though.

100% entertaining read 👍👍

🤣🤣🤣

13 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You do understand we weren't getting higher than a 3rd Round Pick in exchange for Edmunds on a 1 year, 13 million dollar contract last season, right? 

You say we "got nothing". But we got last year out of him AND a 3rd Round Draft Pick out of it. That's more than we would have got trading him.

A compensatory 3rd round pick is virtually the same as a 4th round pick.  If the Bears got a mid round #2 for Roquan, I suspect the Bills could have received something slightly less for Edmunds.  I know hindsight is 20/20, but looking back, the right move would have been to trade Edmunds while on his 5th year option and used that $12.5M elsewhere.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.