TSW Mock Draft 3.0 Poll - Who should the Bills take at #27

Virgil

Who should the Bills take at #27  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Bills take at #27

• Zay Flowers, WR, Boston Col
    • Bills trade Ed Oliver, Pick #27 to Cardinals for pick #34 and Hopkins’s (Cardinals pick up a lot contract money)
    • Trade Back

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/27/2023 at 12:00 AM

Who should the Bills take at #27?

Due to there being positions of need, I did include some players with a second round grade.  Offensive line and MLB have zero remaining players with a 2nd round grade.

Edited by Virgil

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It will definitely be Flowers if this situation arises. There’s maybe a 10% chance Flowers gets to 27. 

I don't know, Beane seems to value arm length. I know they drafted Shakir last year but that was a day three pick. Not sure he'd spend a 1st round pick on a player with such a severe physical limitation.

• Agree 2

I think if the board falls that way the Bills will choose Flowers but that would not be my choice. I hate the idea of going defense in the 1st Round but would like Nolan Smith or Lukas Van Ness to add as a very good Edge option to pair with Von Miller. Their talent is worth that pick, IMO. Van Ness is versatile and can play inside or out. Ultimately, I chose trade back from #27 to #34 with Arizona for Hopkins (assuming they can make the money work). This gives Beane another receiving threat for Josh with the ammo and flexibility to attack LB and DL in the 2nd Round. The 'Trade Back' option was too vague for me. What are they getting in return?

3 hours ago, bearcat said:

Oliver and 27 for Hopkins? Not Hopkins and 34?

Yeah that trade makes no sense especially when you see it next to the other trade option. Is there a salary retention aspect to either we should know about?

Edit: Also, I love Flowers as a cost-controlled prospect, but that second trade is too good to pass up and 34 seems a better spot for overall value. 

Edit edit: Switched vote to Flowers after trade clarification. Think Cole Beasley+ combined with John Brown+. Dude can work the middle and stretch the field. 

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

JOHN MICHAEL SCHMITZ

To me this would be a very uninspiring 1st round pick. A 24 year old rookie who has only ever played center. I would rather let Bates take over at center in 2024 than reach for one in the 1st round. Schmitz is a player I would be fine with at pick 59.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

To me this would be a very uninspiring 1st round pick. A 24 year old rookie who has only ever played center. I would rather let Bates take over at center in 2024 than reach for one in the 1st round. Schmitz is a player I would be fine with at pick 59.

I'm fine with uninspriring when it means getting a lynchpin for our OL for the rest of Josh's career. Agreed it's a bit of a reach, but in this draft, anyone taken at 27 is going to be 2nd round talent.

Should have been Creed Humphrey. Should have been Tyler Linderbaum.

Taking IOL is never exciting, but it sure is satisfying.

I did end up voting for the trade back with DHOP. We could probably get JMS at 34 as well. So I'd be fine with it.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It will definitely be Flowers if this situation arises. There’s maybe a 10% chance Flowers gets to 27. 

I was between Flowers and the 27/34 swap with getting Hopkins.  Went with Hopkins because he has the production history and will create a situation where you cannot double him and Diggs. 

Use 34 for IOL and get Tank Dell, trade back into 2nd if needed.  I’d be fine coming out of the draft with 3 players who can make an impact next year. 

From Joe Marino's chart last night its a late third for DHop.  Also am wondering abit about the how of that deal.  would need to agree to a restructure during the draft or cardinals would have to eat cap.  We can't just take him on our roster without some financials working through right?  seems tough to do while on the clock.  I put nolan smith but would love DHop too.

6 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

From Joe Marino's chart last night its a late third for DHop.  Also am wondering abit about the how of that deal.  would need to agree to a restructure during the draft or cardinals would have to eat cap.  We can't just take him on our roster without some financials working through right?  seems tough to do while on the clock.  I put nolan smith but would love DHop too.

this is the inside gossip of what the Cardinals actually offered:

“You don’t have to do it this second if you want to see who is coming up on the board for the bills but the Cardinals are willing to offer you DeAndre Hopkins the number 34 pick in the 2023 NFL draft and we will eat $8 million of his $19 million contract this year by giving him a signing bonus before we trade him. This is the same amount it would cost us to release him outright so we’re ok doing it for:

Your 2023 #27 pick in this draft and Ed Oliver”

But after seeing flowers on the board and having him under contract for five cheap years is very tempting, even though I love DeAndre Hopkins

Edited by NeverOutNick
Zay
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

this is the inside gossip of what the Cardinals actually offered:

“You don’t have to do it this second if you want to see who is coming up on the board for the bills but the Cardinals are willing to offer you DeAndre Hopkins the number 34 pick in the 2023 NFL draft and we will eat $8 million of his $19 million contract this year by giving him a signing bonus before we trade him. This is the same about it would cost us to release him outright so we’re ok doing it for:

Your 2023 #27 pick in this draft and Ed Oliver”

Thanks.  I do think this is how it gets done.  A simple restructure by the cardinals to eat money.  Also appreciate you indicating conversations beforehand because that also makes it easier to get done during the draft.  Based of that I guess it would be the Bills wanting to see who is there at 27 (OMG Im still taking Nolan Smith and would be happy Beane didnt take the trade yet).  

3 minutes ago, BillsFanInRaleigh said:

Dude...if Nolan Smith is there at 27 you make that pick. Every single time. 

Yeah I think you have to.  Board seems preoccupied with idea of needing another weapon versus some pretty glaring concerns at edge.

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed it's a bit of a reach, but in this draft, anyone taken at 27 is going to be 2nd round talent.

Should have been Creed Humphrey. Should have been Tyler Linderbaum.

Then take the 2nd round talent at a game changing position. There are several edge rushers still on the board. Jalin Hyatt is available even though he isn't listed as an option. The drop off from one of those edge rushers or WRs to the same position group at pick 59 is going to be a lot more than the drop off from Schmitz to one of the centers available at pick 59.

Humphrey was a bottom 2nd round pick. Are you saying we should have taken him in the 1st over Rousseau? No way I would make that trade even today. Linderbaum is a solid player, on a team that is massively deficient at skill positions and has needs all along the DL.

There's also the unwritten assumption that Schmitz will become a good player. That isn't necessarily true.

Again I'm fine with the player if he's drafted at the appropriate range of his value. As it is I'm not a fan of 24 year old rookies, and for some reason there's a bunch of them in the draft this year. A 24 year old at a less valuable position is a really poor use of a 1st round pick IMO.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.