Education in America

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

What happened 3 years ago?

This sounds impossible, not one I three years? I have taken kids from literally no correct answers on the test to a passing score within two school years. There is no way that education is at the top of their priorities. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

What happened 3 years ago?

That's really sad.  And there's no excuse of "they're not being given the resources they need."

Edited by Doc

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

That's really sad.  And there's no excuse of "they're not being given the resources they need."

But LeBron gets a lot of praise for putting his name and funds behind it. He owes each of the families a sincere apology for having failed them, and he either needs to get more personally involved or take his name off the front door. 

• Like (+1) 1

Today was the first day back for teachers here and we were going through some new policies including the fact that admin must back teachers about referrals for kids on their phones. About 10% of teachers actually argued that kids need phones for stress relief and such things, it was absurd and makes me realize why some people hold teachers in low esteem. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/28/2023 at 8:26 PM, Big Blitz said:

At 30 seconds - she asks teachers to rat out other teachers that aren’t displaying a pride flag or BLM poster 

There are literally states that are forcing the 10 Commandments into the classroom

19 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Today was the first day back for teachers here and we were going through some new policies including the fact that admin must back teachers about referrals for kids on their phones. About 10% of teachers actually argued that kids need phones for stress relief and such things, it was absurd and makes me realize why some people hold teachers in low esteem. 

Yeah, I don’t agree with that. They don’t need their phones in the classroom.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The thing in Texas is ongoing. That is the state that I’m referring to.

I guess it sounds more ominous to say “there are literally states” as opposed to just saying Texas. 

The Texas bill is dead. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my first few days of school after a week of pre planning and have a few comments:

1) every school should make having a phone out a suspend level offense. The simple threat of it has caused the cell phone problem to end.

2) the majority(90%) of teachers are excellent at my school but the low levels ones are all liberals. Several of them openly state they will not listen to the new laws and actually expect our principal to back them up. I have known him for about 20 years and has openly stated he will not back them but they keep acting as if they are above the law. 

3) the divide between the haves and have nots is growing at a crazy level. My school had a median score that would have been top 10% of the 3 low level schools in Orange County, and my school is majority non white. In the English scores the average score of the bottom 3 would have been bottom 10 of mine and several others. Basically being top 5% in some schools would be simply average at others, which is not healthy.

• Like (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/teachers-digging-even-deeper-afford-120746546.html

Articles like this annoy me because they are equating spending money on essentials such as pencils and paper along with a teacher buying her class each a copy of the Great Gatsby. These are not similar and true essentials are not expensive, I got 500 pencils for $12 and like 5000 sheets of paper for $20. Good teachers should be paid more but articles like this make the seem much worse than it is, balloons and tshirts are not essentials. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/teachers-digging-even-deeper-afford-120746546.html

Articles like this annoy me because they are equating spending money on essentials such as pencils and paper along with a teacher buying her class each a copy of the Great Gatsby. These are not similar and true essentials are not expensive, I got 500 pencils for $12 and like 5000 sheets of paper for $20. Good teachers should be paid more but articles like this make the seem much worse than it is, balloons and tshirts are not essentials. 

I’ve never understood these articles and arguments. Anyone who’s ever run a professional service company (which education is) knows that pencils and paper are one of the smallest line items in the budget. The big money is spent on people and benefits. And in the case of public schools you can add the cost of funding lifetime pensions to the list of benefits. Choices are obviously being made LONG BEFORE anyone ever buys a pencil. 

• Like (+1) 1

The school boards are mostly teachers the union promotes.  Then the board promotes what the union and teachers want. 

Parents really don't get much of a say unless you really push at the board level.  Or work to get a diverse board. 

Without that it's just an echo chamber 

On 8/11/2023 at 6:27 PM, Orlando Tim said:

Just finished my first few days of school after a week of pre planning and have a few comments:

1) every school should make having a phone out a suspend level offense. The simple threat of it has caused the cell phone problem to end.

2) the majority(90%) of teachers are excellent at my school but the low levels ones are all liberals. Several of them openly state they will not listen to the new laws and actually expect our principal to back them up. I have known him for about 20 years and has openly stated he will not back them but they keep acting as if they are above the law. 

3) the divide between the haves and have nots is growing at a crazy level. My school had a median score that would have been top 10% of the 3 low level schools in Orange County, and my school is majority non white. In the English scores the average score of the bottom 3 would have been bottom 10 of mine and several others. Basically being top 5% in some schools would be simply average at others, which is not healthy.

I also agree that student should not have their phone out in class would totally support that rule

58 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

The school boards are mostly teachers the union promotes.  Then the board promotes what the union and teachers want. 

Parents really don't get much of a say unless you really push at the board level.  Or work to get a diverse board. 

Without that it's just an echo chamber 

Close. The Union only funds enough Board members to give them a majority on the Board. The Union more or less ignores the other members. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Close. The Union only funds enough Board members to give them a majority on the Board. The Union more or less ignores the other members. 

I would argue that some boards are being aggressive with the non teacher narrative.  See Virginia..

But you pretty much nailed it.  As long as they have the majority. The minority voice is just noise they ignore 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

I would argue that some boards are being aggressive with the non teacher narrative.  See Virginia..

But you pretty much nailed it.  As long as they have the majority. The minority voice is just noise they ignore 

Trust me. I worked within the inner circles of School Districts for decades. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

So much Diversity.  

So much Cringe

And come on, learn to play before using the guitar. 

you could see two of the three in the entire group dying inside.  lol

yes, it would be much better if they made a video of a militia training and then told kids how awful America has become with wokism, right?

• Eyeroll 1

10 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

yes, it would be much better if they made a video of a militia training and then told kids how awful America has become with wokism, right?

IS that what the public schools are doing?  seems like a silly strawman.

You think that class is diverse?  

you think that video was organic and not cringe?

And you believe strumming on a out of tune guitar, without even trying to hold a note is good?

30 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

With the dems going full pro pedo. kids grouping up into a little militia defense wouldnt be a terrable idea. Its the only chance they have. They also have really small hands. Good for reaching in to unlock capital buildings windows and doors. making insurrections go alot more smoothly in the future.

Alot of good ideas hawk. Keep em coming. 😅

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

With the dems going full pro pedo. kids grouping up into a little militia defense wouldnt be a terrable idea. Its the only chance they have. They also have really small hands. Good for reaching in to unlock capital buildings windows and doors. making insurrections go alot more smoothly in the future.

a lot of bad spelling ruck.  go back and get your GED...

• Eyeroll 1

14 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

ITs playing spell checker now. it's found its calling.

8 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

a lot of bad spelling ruck.  go back and get your GED...

Yeah they didnt have any of that english in my school. Full time malitia sun up and down.  you need a book written. not your guy. if you need a true american patriot to protect the freedoms from authoritarians regime that this country has become. im all over it. 👌

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffarukus said:

Yeah they didnt have any of that english in my school. Full time malitia sun up and down.  you need a book written. not your guy. if you need a true american patriot to protect the freedoms from authoritarians regime that this country has become. im all over it. 👌

Show us your battle plans.  Are they in crayon?

15 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

ITs playing spell checker now. it's found its calling.

Wow.  you cut so deep.  Your insults are as bad as your political rhetoric and reasoning.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Meh. up here in NY when violent crime is out of control. our governor calls in the national guard, to protect and keep the immigrants in.

its ok. when crime starts eating its own (already happening), just wait for help. it will show.

40 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

With the dems going full pro pedo.

Every accusation is a confession 

Yup - another classic eye roll from CF.

But you freaks have a problem with republicans, police and clergy running around abusing children but yes - tell us more how Dems are 

40 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

going full pro pedo.

Disgusting ****

Edited by BillStime
  • Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

I would never! Crayons can be melted into a sharp point that can be used to defend freedoms. Using them for drawing is a waste of a critical resource in this war.

8 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Every accusation is a confession 

No i think every confession is a accusation! Lol. Are you really using "i know you are but what am i" all over this board still?

Been awhile. I see nothing has changed around here.

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Agree 1

Just now, Buffarukus said:

I would never! Crayons can be melted into a sharp point that can be used to defend freedoms. Using them for drawing is a waste of a critical resource in this war.

No i think every confession is a accusation! Lol. Are you really using "i know you are but what am i" all over this board.

No I’m just highlighting how pathetic you are with fact.

Now run along you good simp and ignore the complete mess in your own house.

12 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

No i think every confession is a accusation! Lol. Are you really using "i know you are but what am i" all over this board still?

So, I can mark you down as a "Yes" for civil war.  I applaud you for your honesty.  I think you're the only one on the board that will admit it.

11 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Now run along you good simp and ignore the complete mess in your own house.

or the mess they're planning to try to make in ours.  Guess no one ever taught them not to shite in their own backyard.