Education in America

On 4/25/2023 at 10:43 AM, Big Blitz said:

I give it 10 years then it’s over.  

The real estate tax savings are going to be necessary anyway to compensate for your 15 percent interest rate - but housing costs that hold because the government continues to subsidize it.   

Democrats turned their back on manufacturing.  They’ll do the same with education.  

It all starts at home most parents now of younger children have a "Smart phone or iPad" as a baby sitter so they can tie tok & FB & Instagram & what ever else social media can throw at you instead of limiting the amount of time the kids have to be on SM. 

My wife has owned & operated a day care for 20 years & the children she watches are from 1 yr old to 5 yrs old & she says & i've seen myself the kids are getting worse & worse year after year which a lot of it is caused because there is literally no consequences .

Discipline is a thing of the past there are very few parents any more that will discipline at all only take a toy away or stand them in time out big deal & then we wonder why there are so many shootings by young people because they have grown up in the same type of none disciplinary society every body gets a trophy no matter what .

They aren't taught that losing isn't a terrible thing & again not taught to use losing as a motivation to get better the next time ! 

I hate to see just what the world has become but it is heading straight to hell & i can't say that it should be surprising no rules you can do, be, act, disrespect, and change into what ever you in your own mind can think despite the reality of what the facts tell you & they will look right at them & say the exact opposite of what the facts show .

And the thing that really sucks is it will probably continue to get worse before or if it gets better ...

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Bernie!  Education is a priority.  He wants people to be upwardly mobile and supports efforts to that goal

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3980539-sanders-warns-lawmakers-not-to-go-to-war-on-the-working-class-during-debt-negotiations/

“And I’m willing to look at any other proposals. There’s a lot of waste within government. Let’s go after it. But don’t go to war against the working class of this country, lower-income people. Don’t tell kids that they can’t afford to go to college or cut back on public education in America. We have already too much inequality in America. Let’s not make it worse,” he added.

More Bernie today: And if Democrats and the president get stronger on working-class issues and “take on the greed of the insurance companies, drug companies, Wall Street, all the big money interests, and start delivering for working class people,” Sanders said, “I think Biden is going to win in a landslide.”

If You believe Bernie wants upward mobility you don’t know what that term means. 

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

This kid has more courage then the people in charge.  And more intelligence 

It was a very classy response. A very simple question of why non radically left opinions are ”dangerous”. 

completely acceptable 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Keep ‘em stupid

In part this is retaliation for removal of Silent Sam monument.  Mostly, it's an attack on intellectualism.  Sadly, the research triangle area is probably the most economically successful and prosperous areas in NC and the entire south.  Used to go to a yearly conference at UNC.  Beautiful campus and respected, approachable faculty.  Just what MAGA's hate.  Sadly, it might work.  The best and brightest can move to greener, more welcoming pastures.  Duke can absorb some but not all.  Dumb sh!t NC R's....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Keep ‘em stupid

What a stupid, self-destroying policy. UNC went from "ordinary state flagship university" in my college days (it was a minor league neighbor of University of Virginia to the north) to "one of the top state research universities" in just one generation. What better way to kill that and drive leading scholars away. Republicans are now so obsessed with the owning-the-libs headlines that they're willing to engage in self-sacrifice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

In part this is retaliation for removal of Silent Sam monument.  Mostly, it's an attack on intellectualism.  Sadly, the research triangle area is probably the most economically successful and prosperous areas in NC and the entire south.  Used to go to a yearly conference at UNC.  Beautiful campus and respected, approachable faculty.  Just what MAGA's hate.  Sadly, it might work.  The best and brightest can move to greener, more welcoming pastures.  Duke can absorb some but not all.  Dumb sh!t NC R's....

its the new Silicon Valley.  everyone in Tech is there or moving there.  an in an ironic twist, partially due to the low wages and lack of unions.  coupled with the good schools for researchers, engineers and management. 

Been looking at that area. but between housing, gangs and trailer parks.   the choices are few and far between.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_affiliation_by_U.S._state

In NY Tenure is just the ability to have a hearing before termination if over 3 years in.

Many states are removing Tenure for new hires. its been a trend for a while now.

But MAGA, RED STATE, ANGRY, KICKING PET, MAD.  

amirite

https://theconversation.com/is-it-time-to-eliminate-tenure-for-professors-59959

Edited by Chris farley
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Chris farley said:

its the new Silicon Valley.  everyone in Tech is there or moving there.  an in an ironic twist, partially due to the low wages and lack of unions.  coupled with the good schools for researchers, engineers and management. 

Been looking at that area. but between housing, gangs and trailer parks.   the choices are few and far between.

In NY Tenure is just the ability to have a hearing before termination if over 3 years in.

Many states are removing Tenure for new hires. its been a trend for a while now.

amirite

ahhh yes tenure…. One of the key root causes to the problem of high cost and low accessibility of higher education. 

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Chris farley said:

amirite

Chapel hill?  They must hide the trailer parks really well!  Housing costs would be the major reason I wouldn't move there (and that I like Va better).  One very big advantage is that it is decidedly BLUE.  Prosperous, educated and blue, hmmm... NC overall is purple but guess what areas are bright red...hint- not highly educated areas.  https://www.bestplaces.net/voting/county/north_carolina/wake

Not been keeping up with the tenure question but cutting it has been discussed for decades.  The problem is that academics in high paying fields like tech and medicine can make double or more in the private sector.  It's one reason that there's a nursing shortage:  Not enough nursing school faculty.  But cutting off their nose to spite their face is characteristically MAGA.  Spite, resentment and hate seem very important to them.

Edited by redtail hawk

10 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Chapel hill?  They must hide the trailer parks really well!  Housing costs would be the major reason I wouldn't move there (and that I like Va better).  One very big advantage is that it is decidedly BLUE.  Prosperous, educated and blue, hmmm... NC overall is purple but guess what areas are bright red...hint- not highly educated areas.

Not been keeping up with the tenure question but cutting it has been discussed for decades.  The problem is that academics in high paying fields like tech and medicine can make double or more in the private sector.  It's one reason that there's a nursing shortage:  Not enough nursing school faculty.  But cutting off their nose to spite their face is characteristically MAGA.  Spite, resentment and hate seem very important to them.

When I was there I remember just outside the beautiful campus the area was pretty rough… even worse now it seems.

gun violence and fatalities on the rise- yes checks out, definitely ‘Blue’

https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2022/10/city-crime-in-chapel-hill

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

When I was there I remember just outside the beautiful campus the area was pretty rough… even worse now it seems.

gun violence and fatalities on the rise- yes checks out, definitely ‘Blue’

https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2022/10/city-crime-in-chapel-hill

from the article you cited:

Long-time Chapel Hill resident Frederic Williams said he has never felt unsafe in town.

The most noticeable change over the years, he said, has been students replacing older homeowners, not violent crime.

“I would rather be in Chapel Hill than be in Durham,” he said.

Gun violence happens everywhere, Williams added, and compared to other communities, he thinks of his town as relatively peaceful.

@DTHCityState | city@dailytarheel.com 

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the number of homicides in Chapel Hill this year. There have been five homicides in 2022, not six. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for this error.

Everything is relative.  Look at crime rates by NC county in this link.  Lots of deep red areas worse than Wake County

https://www.ncsbi.gov/Services/Crime-Statistics/Crime-in-North-Carolina-Annual-Summaries/2021-Annual-Summary.aspx

Edited by redtail hawk

9 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

from the article you cited:

Long-time Chapel Hill resident Frederic Williams said he has never felt unsafe in town.

The most noticeable change over the years, he said, has been students replacing older homeowners, not violent crime.

“I would rather be in Chapel Hill than be in Durham,” he said.

Gun violence happens everywhere, Williams added, and compared to other communities, he thinks of his town as relatively peaceful.

@DTHCityState | city@dailytarheel.com 

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated the number of homicides in Chapel Hill this year. There have been five homicides in 2022, not six. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for this error.

Everything is relative.  Look at crime rates by NC county in this link.  Lots of deep red areas worse than Wake County

2021-Annual-Summary.aspx

yeah I saw the back and forth in the article. I remember being there and being surprised at the bad areas near the school. So I was curious what it’s like today- And searched it, couldn’t resist tossing the article to you based on the headline given your elitist blue view, even though the overall article read as more even. 

glad you read it. 

Similar phenomenon around Duke. Not sure why 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

15 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

yeah I saw the back and forth in the article. I remember being there and being surprised at the bad areas near the school. So I was curious what it’s like today- And searched it, couldn’t resist tossing the article to you given your elitist blue view. 

glad you read it. 

Similar phenomenon around Duke. Not sure why 

don't know what you're talking about.  As I said, went there for years.  I think you'd literally need to go looking for serious crime there or just be incredibly unlucky.  Their conference center is right next to the University golf course so if you wander too far (I have), you might get hit by a ball. We were at Duke Gardens a few weeks ago.  The azaleas are especially scary!  I did see a few presumably gay couples strolling and holding hands tho.  Gasp...

Edited by redtail hawk

36 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

don't know what you're talking about.  As I said, went there for years.  I think you'd literally need to go looking for serious crime there or just be incredibly unlucky.  Their conference center is right next to the University golf course so if you wander too far (I have), you might get hit by a ball. We were at Duke Gardens a few weeks ago.  The azaleas are especially scary!  I did see a few presumably gay couples strolling and holding hands tho.  Gasp...

Maybe I’m conflating with Hopkins… presumably gay?… what are you assuming genders now like some MAGA cult member?

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Maybe I’m conflating with Hopkins… presumably gay?… what are you assuming genders now like some MAGA cult member?

maybe...or Charlottesville when neo Nazis show up.  Pretty sure they were gay but could have been bi.  I looked more closely at the sorority pledges walking around.