Education in America

1 minute ago, redtail hawk said:

Jesus is part of the trinity as described by St Patrick as a clover leaf.  That's my understanding which admittedly is superficial.

Human analogies ultimately fail for the obvious reasons. Many do far worse than the clover lol

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Your summary was excellent.  I have also read the old testament from the beginning in a study group of Catholics.  Lots of difficult to absorb parts that seem inconsistent with the New Testament.  Lots of respectful disagreement among our group on some passages.

I’ll simplify it for you. Jesus was/is God’s version of the Great Reset. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I'm not a big fan of teachers, I think by and large they just coast. Someone needs "an extension" on a homework assignment and they get it cause the teachers are afraid to fail anyone for example. The standards should be raised significantly, and they should fail kids that deserve to be failed

A lot of talk about parents and I get that but schools could be better as well, raise the bar at home and at school

Absolutely.   Second and third chances are rare outside of school.  Toughen it up.  But the parent part is important.  Reminds me of the early scene in "Idiocracy" where the kids are running wild, impregnating neighbors and heavily praised for football accomplishments but not academic ones.  Also the little gem that well educated adults are having less kids at the same time those that never valued education are having many.  Art imitating life.

26 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

you left out  vengeance.  A vengeful God is present throughout the old testament.

From the introduction to a fairly recent reprinting of the Book of Johan, Micah, and Nahum:

"Adam, Cain and Noah find God punitive but soothed by the smell of burnt flesh, mostly animal." 

That sums it up.

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Social media must be playing a role. Those kids--and many adults--are just locked into their phones and oblivious to the real world. They don't socialize much and school has become a place where they are afraid to interact with other real humans 

This is not wrong, I made a mistake this year of trying to be "reasonable" about cell phones, which was fine until after Thanksgiving when kids started pushing it. Trying to wrangle them back from there was much worse than if I had simply been zero tolerance from the begining. Most of student in summer school are ones I emailed parents about phones and nothing changed. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

you left out  vengeance.  A vengeful God is present throughout the old testament.  While in the new, Jesus is forgiving, many in current society would say to a fault.  But that was his point imo.  I also think the old testament is largely allegorical.  There are people arguing over whether dinosaurs could have fit in the ark for goodness sake.  but yes, i think the allegories point to what you say - humans are fallable, turn away and need to get back to God.

Regarding education, i think the value of education should be taught formally at an early age.  Teach the relationship between education and earnings.  Simultaneously teach simple economics.  Describe lifestyles for different income levels.  Sound rough but it's reality in America and most of the world.  It should motivate the marginal students but not all.  Also elevate the social value of academic achievement in school and lessen the value of extracurricular activities.  That takes parents unfortunately and is a tougher nut to crack.  Finally, aren't cell phones banned in the classroom.  If not, they should be.

One of the worst teachers I ever had taught me a simple lesson on economics I never forgot. He just drew on the board what it would cost over the course of a lifetime to buy a pack of cigarettes a day. This was like 7th grade and it blew my mind. Later I started figuring things like that using the power of compounding gains, interest, etc. Of course I was open to that idea. Teaching a person that is bad at managing their money to do better is not easy, telling them they have to give up wasteful and expensive habits they are use to doesn't really work unless they are forced to make changes. But ya, schools should be teaching better economic habits, pay off your credit card every month! But with so much disinformation out there (Buy Gold!) people are still going to do dumb things with their money. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

This is not wrong, I made a mistake this year of trying to be "reasonable" about cell phones, which was fine until after Thanksgiving when kids started pushing it. Trying to wrangle them back from there was much worse than if I had simply been zero tolerance from the begining. Most of student in summer school are ones I emailed parents about phones and nothing changed. 

It should be easy in Fla to ban cell phones in school statewide.  That's a ban I'd agree with.

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ll simplify it for you. Jesus was/is God’s version of the Great Reset. 

Nothing about religion is simple imo.  That's we we lean on organized groups to give authority.  I believe that all monotheistic religions are praying to the same God.  Pick a side and live by the rules and you'll be close to where you're supposed to be.  Of course, this could be completely incorrect...

43 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Nothing about religion is simple imo.  That's we we lean on organized groups to give authority.  I believe that all monotheistic religions are praying to the same God.  Pick a side and live by the rules and you'll be close to where you're supposed to be.  Of course, this could be completely incorrect...

You are correct. Religion is indeed complicated....but Faith is actually quite simple.

• Awesome! (+1) 4

Reading, Writing and Planned Parenthood ‘***** Hair Art’ in a Washington Grade School

By Matt Philbin 

Will you uptight conservative parents get it through your reactionary little heads: nobody is trying to sexualize your children – certainly not in our world-class public schools … okay, maybe in Chicago, and maybe the Biden Administration, but nobody anywhere else.

Those people you call “groomers” (hate speech, BTW!) are education professionals who operate according to the latest, cutting-edge thinking about … er, sex and … children …

Consider this latest moral panic from Lincoln Elementary School in Washington State. It seems that on May 9, students saw a presentation of “sex education material from Planned Parenthood that included information about puberty blockers and graphics of ***** hair art.”

Wow, in addition to receiving up-to-date biomedical information, Lincoln Elementary students are exposed to a vibrant arts and crafts environment!

The presentation came from the caring and not-at-all creepy folks at “Teen Council, a sex-education program from Planned Parenthood.” So, these kids are in good hands. Nobody knows more about sex and evading its consequences than Planned Parenthood.

Of course, some stick-in-the-mud parents got upset. “The materials reportedly had neither ‘parental consent’ nor ‘district approval,’ and only came to light when children told their parents.”

Well duh! Teen Council and the brave, forward-thinking school personnel that invited them knew there’d be sky god worshippers who’d go all Puritan at the mere mention of a “’Gender Wheel’ that featured a list of pronouns to address various obscure transgender identities such as ‘femme boy’ and ‘genderfluid person.’”

It’s better to apologize than ask permission – though what Teen Council would have to apologize for is beyond me. Are we supposed to trust parents to talk about sexuality with their kids – let alone talk to them when their young enough to be properly confused? Highly qualified professionals must talk about sex with children early and often so they’re not infected by parents’ retrograde views about sex.

But don’t take my word for it. Kat Tenbarge is a tech and culture reporter for NBC News. It doesn’t get more credible than that. She says:

More at the link:

https://redstate.com/mattphilbin/2023/06/02/reading-writing-and-planned-parenthood-*****-hair-art-in-a-washington-grade-school-n755329

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

On 6/2/2023 at 10:22 AM, SoCal Deek said:

You are correct. Religion is indeed complicated....but Faith is actually quite simple.

This is a point that is often lost, you don't have believe in an organized religion to understand God and Jesus, sometimes the religion actually makes it more difficult 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

This is a point that is often lost, you don't have believe in an organized religion to understand God and Jesus, sometimes the religion actually makes it more difficult 

Still, it makes it all seem disingenuous when the hyper religious evangelicals elevate an obvious unreligious bore like Trump to cult status. It's like the religion, faith, all that don't really stand for anything. How many of the Ten Commandments has he violated with prejudice? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

55 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Still, it makes it all seem disingenuous when the hyper religious evangelicals elevate an obvious unreligious bore like Trump to cult status. It's like the religion, faith, all that don't really stand for anything. How many of the Ten Commandments has he violated with prejudice? 

I think the evangelicals inserted a passage in the bible that says "the ends justify the means"...

54 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Why does Trump have anything to do with religion? Biden claims to follow the same faith I do but acts opposite it primarily. The only thing I see similar between Trump and Jesus is that politicians lie about them all the time. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Why does Trump have anything to do with religion? Biden claims to follow the same faith I do but acts opposite it primarily. The only thing I see similar between Trump and Jesus is that politicians lie about them all the time. 

the difference is that most who voted for Biden don't primarily politically identify as Christians.  Most who support trump do.  They are his hypocritical base and they admire him.  And the messiah figure has been carefully crafted by trump.  He uses religion for votes.  Biden has not.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, redtail hawk said:

the difference is that most who voted for Biden don't primarily politically identify as Christians.  Most who support trump do.  They are his hypocritical base and they admire him.

What a vapid difference, I have not voted for a candidate based on his religion ever, and most people do not, they base it on how he will try and run the country. But as I am a Catholic, who has done more for the pro life movement, Trump or Biden?

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Well you went to a tiktoker to prove your point, so how am I supposed to respond? I will try and find a proper dance video to show you how wrong you are.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandan_Robertson

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2