Education in America

5 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

cool. You are obviously a religious guy, as am I, so let me ask you a question 

what did you think of trump standing on that stage saying he has never asked for God’s forgiveness in his life and doesn’t think he needs to?

I am indeed a man of incredible faith. I honestly don’t recall the Trump comment but in any event I’m not electing a national pastor. If I was, there would be few if any people in Washington DC. 😉

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

how can you not recall that? That was a watershed moment.

When I say 'honestly' it indeed means honestly. But as I said, I don't generally vote on the personal faith stylings of the people running for office. (I rarely know their faith, nor do I think it's anyone's business.) I elect them to represent ME, not THEMSELVES. 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I could understand that but I don’t think I can stomach voting for someone who bastardizes our religion either.

trump made those comments at Liberty University while courting evangelical Christian voters 

And the current President is a proponent of unlimited abortion. The Trump example is about him. The Biden example is about society as a whole. Once again, I’m not the slightest bit interested in what some politician thinks about his/her own need for forgiveness. (I’ll take your word for it on Trumps comment but with a HUGE grain of salt, considering how often he’s been misquoted or misinterpreted.)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

Unlimited abortions? Stop with the bullshite I thought we were having a respectful conversation guess not

and whatever you got to tell yourself with the “grain of salt”.. I actually withheld the worst part of trumps answer. He said he doesn’t ask for forgiveness because he doesn’t think he ever has done anything wrong, so no need to answer to God, right?

Not trying to take this conversation sideways. Of the two of us, I’m not the one who started putting a litmus test on politicians. I’m assuming you also believe that Trump called the nazis ‘fine people’ and recommended that we all ‘drink bleach’? Neither of which is true. 

(Thanks for the faith discussion while it latest though.)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

“I’m not trying to take this conversation sideways”

and then introduces a sideways comment into MY mouth

ok bud

And ….we’ve officially jumped the shark. Have a great evening Bud. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

I think it’s pretty easy to get back, you can Google trump’s comments on religion and forgiveness to see what I’m talking about since you missed it

I’ll try. Once again, I’m really not trying to be a jerk. We were having a nice faith based conversation and then….boom…up popped Trump. As usual on here. 🙄

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I think it’s pretty easy to get back, you can Google trump’s comments on religion and forgiveness to see what I’m talking about since you missed it.

It’s like the counter argument to your eloquent Old Testament summary

I looked it up . In 2015 Trump said that he doesn’t focus on asking God for forgiveness. He said that he instead focuses on doing better the next time. I have literally no idea why you believe that’s a watershed moment.He understands and acknowledges that he’s a sinner but instead of dwelling on his past sins (which I assume God is obviously aware of) he puts his focus on personal improvement (which I assume God would find admirable).

• Like (+1) 1

Back to actual education information, tomorrow I start summer school, kids start Monday and I had far more kids than prior years fail my class.  Every single student who failed had at least 25 absences with many having 40+, or more than once a week. I will state I did not get any emails asking why the kid failed but the amount of parents that seem to have stopped parenting after COVID is mind blowing.

• Sad 2
  • Angry 1

10 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Back to actual education information, tomorrow I start summer school, kids start Monday and I had far more kids than prior years fail my class.  Every single student who failed had at least 25 absences with many having 40+, or more than once a week. I will state I did not get any emails asking why the kid failed but the amount of parents that seem to have stopped parenting after COVID is mind blowing.

Morning Tim 

Good luck with Summer School.  I only have one question: What does this have to do with Donald Trump? (Kidding!) 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Social media must be playing a role. Those kids--and many adults--are just locked into their phones and oblivious to the real world. They don't socialize much and school has become a place where they are afraid to interact with other real humans 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Social media must be playing a role. Those kids--and many adults--are just locked into their phones and oblivious to the real world. They don't socialize much and school has become a place where they are afraid to interact with other real humans 

This isn't an overstatement. Whole families out to eat with mom, dad, and each kid buried in the phone. Hard to imagine that it's not like that at home too. Might as well live alone.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I looked it up . In 2015 Trump said that he doesn’t focus on asking God for forgiveness. He said that he instead focuses on doing better the next time. I have literally no idea why you believe that’s a watershed moment.He understands and acknowledges that he’s a sinner but instead of dwelling on his past sins (which I assume God is obviously aware of) he puts his focus on personal improvement (which I assume God would find admirable).

11 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

He said he didn’t think he needs to ask for forgiveness for anything 

imagine Jesus on the cross “hey ya’ll you answer to yourself and not God so do whatever you want and only repent if you think you did something wrong”

flies in the face of every message in our religious text, and trump said this at Liberty University of all places, accepting applause from Christians after he told them he’s very religious.

trump is a POS, but whatever I didn’t expect you to get it

There is a twitter account called "Donnie Darkened" that has compiled what they believe is evidence that DJT is the prophesied "beast" featured at the end of the book. Of course whether you buy into that or even any one person being the beast (or even whether it happens in the future) depends on your view of the biblical eschaton.

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, LeviF said:

This isn't an overstatement. Whole families out to eat with mom, dad, and each kid buried in the phone. Hard to imagine that it's not like that at home too. Might as well live alone.

And the text each other instead of having to talk 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I don't think trump is the prophesized beast. 

If it turned out the beast is a fat, sensitive, reality TV star, it would be disappointing. I'm expecting a beast to be a little more bad ass

Now THIS made me laugh! Well done SUNY! 😂

3 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I don't think trump is the prophesized beast. 

If it turned out the beast is a fat, sensitive, reality TV star, it would be disappointing. I'm expecting a beast to be a little more bad ass

It's entertainment more than anything else. Whoever is running the account is absolutely committed to the bit.

20 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not trying to be disrespectful. I have idea what faith traditions you come from. It’s a bit difficult to give a sound bite synopsis of entire religion on a message board. 

However, in short, the entire story of the Old Testament is about mankind’s struggles when they veer away from the teachings of God. They keep coming back but then keep veering back away, time after time after time. 

That’s it in nutshell. I hope that helps. 

you left out  vengeance.  A vengeful God is present throughout the old testament.  While in the new, Jesus is forgiving, many in current society would say to a fault.  But that was his point imo.  I also think the old testament is largely allegorical.  There are people arguing over whether dinosaurs could have fit in the ark for goodness sake.  but yes, i think the allegories point to what you say - humans are fallable, turn away and need to get back to God.

Regarding education, i think the value of education should be taught formally at an early age.  Teach the relationship between education and earnings.  Simultaneously teach simple economics.  Describe lifestyles for different income levels.  Sound rough but it's reality in America and most of the world.  It should motivate the marginal students but not all.  Also elevate the social value of academic achievement in school and lessen the value of extracurricular activities.  That takes parents unfortunately and is a tougher nut to crack.  Finally, aren't cell phones banned in the classroom.  If not, they should be.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, redtail hawk said:

you left out  vengeance.  A vengeful God is present throughout the old testament.  While in the new, Jesus is forgiving, many in current society would say to a fault.  But that was his point imo.  I also think the old testament is largely allegorical.  There are people arguing over whether dinosaurs could have fit in the ark for goodness sake.  but yes, i think the allegories point to what you say - humans are callable, turn away and need to get back to God.

Regarding education, i think the value of education should be taught formally at an early age.  Teach the relationship between education and earnings.  Simultaneously teach simple economics.  Describe lifestyles for different income levels.  Sound rough but it's reality in America and most of the world.  It should motivate the marginal students but not all.  Also elevate the social value of academic achievement in school and lessen the value of extracurricular activities.  That takes parents unfortunately and is a tougher nut to crack.  Finally, aren't cell phones banned in the classroom.  If not, they should be.

Thanks Hawk…well said 

I tried to boil it down to one sentence. 😉

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

you left out  vengeance.  A vengeful God is present throughout the old testament.  While in the new, Jesus is forgiving, many in current society would say to a fault.  But that was his point imo.  I also think the old testament is largely allegorical.  There are people arguing over whether dinosaurs could have fit in the ark for goodness sake.  but yes, i think the allegories point to what you say - humans are fallable, turn away and need to get back to God.

According to orthodox Christianity, Jesus is the God of the old testament. Inability to square that circle results in silly fedora-tier takes about Christianity. 

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks Hawk…well said 

I tried to boil it down to one sentence. 😉

Your summary was excellent.  I have also read the old testament from the beginning in a study group of Catholics.  Lots of difficult to absorb parts that seem inconsistent with the New Testament.  Lots of respectful disagreement among our group on some passages.

5 minutes ago, LeviF said:

According to orthodox Christianity, Jesus is the God of the old testament. Inability to square that circle results in silly fedora-tier takes about Christianity. 

Jesus is part of the trinity as described by St Patrick as a clover leaf.  That's my understanding which admittedly is superficial.

from wiki:

Traditionally, shamrock is said to have been used by Saint Patrick to illustrate the Christian doctrine of the Holy Trinity when Christianising Ireland in the 5th century. The first evidence of a link between St Patrick and the shamrock appears in 1675 on the St Patrick's Coppers or Halpennies. These appear to show a figure of St Patrick preaching to a crowd while holding a shamrock,[23] presumably to explain the doctrine of the Holy Trinity.[original research?]

Edited by redtail hawk