Education in America

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's dangerously un-woke to say it, and I wouldn't want it to apply before a kid is about 13, but ...

... there is something to be said for a different/vocational track for some kids. It is not doing them any good to keep them in traditional college-prep high school, struggling through algebra and geometry and a foreign language and all that. There is nothing wrong with letting kids who seem to be continuously struggling (regardless of individualized education plans and other interventions) step away from the academic track and start learning marketable skills that don't require higher math, etc. In fact, we're not doing them any favors by forcing continuing failure on them.

There are programs for this already, and I've worked with some of these people.  Ultimately, that burden lies on the workers who have to work with these people, and the owner gets credit for being a good community businessperson and maybe a lil subsidy to boot.  

A tale of two sets of parents that I know.

One is ultra educated. A lawyer and a legal professional. Kid who is very smart, but not so good at the STEM stuff. Goes to get a masters in library science ("science" ... hah). Gets a job making about $45,000 a year in a place she doesn't want to live. No ability to save money or really get ahead in life. Has some student loans to repay unless Biden forgives them. 26 years old now.

One is the kid of a plumber who restores old cars on the side. High school dropout dad, mom with a diploma. Kid has been in and out of trouble. He's 19 now. Lives at home. Dad lays down the law after charges get dismissed on a diversion program: go get a commercial driver's license. Get a UPS job. Work your way up as a UPS driver. Live at home. You'll make $80,000 a year, set aside 15 or so for taxes, then stick the rest in an account. After 5 years you'll have at least $250 K saved. Move out, buy a house, get into adulthood in good shape at 24 years old. Or ignore me and blow probation and, whatever ...

There are certainly kids that cannot grasp the subject matter but currently 20% of students are chronically absent (missing 15+ days of school in a year).  Even the smart kids will have difficulties if they don't make it into the classroom.

Much of the blame regarding this can be pinned on the parent(s) who either don't know or care about the child's participation in school.  Most schools provide the means (through applications like PowerSchool, Canvas, etc) to monitor a student's attendance, grades and homework assignments daily.  There's no excuse for not opening an app on your phone once in a while to check on your child.

The other problem with parents is they are not holding their children accountable for achievement (or lack thereof).  They would rather their child "be a friend" than perform the duties of a parent.  

I was difficult with both of my kids, checking on their grades/attendance/etc. weekly and setting expectations for what I considered acceptable results.  They are both doing well, and I would like to think I had something to do with it.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...

Teacher Wins Lawsuit After Being Fired for Not Giving Unearned Grades, Now Running for School Board

After winning a significant legal battle against her former employer for wrongful termination, a former elementary school teacher in Henry County, Georgia, is setting her sights on a new goal: a seat on the school board. Sheri Mimbs was fired from Cotton Indian Elementary School in 2017 for refusing to give passing grades even if students had not earned them.

https://redstate.com/jeffc/2024/04/20/teacher-wins-lawsuit-after-being-fired-for-not-giving-unearned-grades-is-running-for-school-board-n2173090

I want to preface this with the fact I have 150 kids this year, about 25 fully supportive parents and 2 that suck, the rest are fine but nothing special to me.  But this kind of situation could happen at any school but it is only with minority students, and it is only given to students with horrible parents. I currently have no students with this designation but I have a coworker who has 4 kids throughout the day who have accomodations that she is not allowed to stop the child from being on phone or video games. All 4 parents have written that she is a racist because she won't help her kids unaware the women has a mixed race spouse and child. Thankfully the kid in article will lose in FL but in other parts of country he would be paid for the teacher trying to do her job. If you want decent teachers you all better put this kid in jail and remove his siblings from his parents. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/student-accused-viciously-beating-aide-155948035.html

• Thank you (+1) 1