Education in America

2 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

"It is modeling mental math. Take one from the 8 to make 7 and give it to the nine to make ten. 10 + 7 =17 That should be memorized but kids forget (or didn't learn) their tables. That is how people who do math in their head (most commonly) do it, and the purpose of getting kids to do it is to wean them off of calculators that massively slow them down and since they're so slow they avoid it and avoiding it become really bad at it. Way worse than their ancestors or competition."

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

"It is modeling mental math. Take one from the 8 to make 7 and give it to the nine to make ten. 10 + 7 =17 That should be memorized but kids forget (or didn't learn) their tables. That is how people who do math in their head (most commonly) do it, and the purpose of getting kids to do it is to wean them off of calculators that massively slow them down and since they're so slow they avoid it and avoiding it become really bad at it. Way worse than their ancestors or competition."

Yeah, not exactly complex stuff. They're trying to get kids to solve simple addition problems in their heads without rote memorization or the need for a calculator. This says more about "Paul Rossi" at Twitter than it does about our textbooks. There's a reason he's some kind of homebrew journalist and not in STEM.

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yeah, not exactly complex stuff. They're trying to get kids to solve simple addition problems in their heads without rote memorization or the need for a calculator. This says more about "Paul Rossi" at Twitter than it does about our textbooks. There's a reason he's some kind of homebrew journalist and not in STEM.

its not 1972. Everyone has a calculator in front of them or in the pocket. 

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Take one from the 8 to make 7 and give it to the nine to make ten. 10 + 7 =17 That should be memorized but kids forget (or didn't learn) their tables

10+7=17 seems like less info than, "take one from the 8 to make 7 and give it to the nine to make ten"

What next, go from the alphabet to  Emojis?

Wonder if the children in other countries that are eating our kids lunch in STEM topics, are taught this way or still learning the basics/foundation before moving forward.

1 minute ago, Chris farley said:

its not 1972. Everyone has a calculator in front of them or in the pocket. 

10+7=17 seems like less info than, "take one from the 8 to make 7 and give it to the nine to make ten"

What next, go from the alphabet to  Emojis?

Wonder if the children in other countries that are eating our kids lunch in STEM topics, are taught this way or still learning the basics/foundation before moving forward.

I checked to see who this Twitter poster is ... he's a teacher.

And his commenters nail it: the principle here is exactly the same as the principles behind the abacus (which is, well, several thousand years old), which seems to be serving many math student in Asian countries quite well as a learning device.

In their haste to criticize everything they don't understand, people like this Paul Rossi undercut their own arguments.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I checked to see who this Twitter poster is ... he's a teacher.

And his commenters nail it: the principle here is exactly the same as the principles behind the abacus (which is, well, several thousand years old), which seems to be serving many math student in Asian countries quite well as a learning device.

In their haste to criticize everything they don't understand, people like this Paul Rossi undercut their own arguments.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0885201421000411

Shoot, then maybe we should be teaching Abacus classes as well.

21 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Teaching children how to do simple mental math is good and this question is not presented without an initial lesson. The teacher might not be able to do the math properly, which is a different issue, but right now I have kids who can't add 9 +6 without a calculator and this would help.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

i am losing the ability to do math in my head.  Could do it pretty well but it's going.  Use it or lose it.  I don't think I used that method tho. or it could be that weed is legal...

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Haha (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

I knew a few Asian-American parents who do still have their kids learn the abacus (in after school programs they pay for) since it gives them the intuitive sense of how arithmetic works. And the kids certainly excelled in math later on…

25 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

but right now I have kids who can't add 9 +6 without a calculator and this would help.

Agreed. For me it was being a kid obsessed with sports and sports stats - particularly baseball. I used to be able to ballpark batting averages, etc, in my head, like “he needs to go 2 for 5 today to be hitting .300 for the year.” Those skills are gone…age + a calculator in the form of a phone always in my pocket. I do think it helped me understand math concepts at an early age though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Oklahoma authorities approved a Catholic-led bid to open the country’s first publicly funded religious charter school, in a landmark decision that is expected to spur litigation over constitutional limits between church and state.

The split vote from the Oklahoma Statewide Virtual Charter School Board on Monday caps months of debate over government support for sectarian education that has divided the state’s educators and elected Republicans, including Gov. Kevin Stitt and Attorney General Gentner Drummond.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/05/oklahoma-approves-public-religious-charter-school-00100269 

5 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Oklahoma authorities approved a Catholic-led bid to open the country’s first publicly funded religious charter school, in a landmark decision that is expected to spur litigation over constitutional limits between church and state.

The split vote from the Oklahoma Statewide Virtual Charter School Board on Monday caps months of debate over government support for sectarian education that has divided the state’s educators and elected Republicans, including Gov. Kevin Stitt and Attorney General Gentner Drummond.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/06/05/oklahoma-approves-public-religious-charter-school-00100269 

This could significantly change the education landscape across the US.

16 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

go for it...perhaps one of those private boot camp schools grooming militia members.  Onward Christian Soldiers, marching off to war....

Yet I expect you're more than willing to ignore the thousands of tax payer funded school districts indoctrinating children on social justice dogma?  Which do you think has a larger footprint?  You know who these kids are because they can't add 2 one-digit numbers into a single number but they have committed to memory the woke victim hierarchy chart.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Yet I expect you're more than willing to ignore the thousands of tax payer funded school districts indoctrinating children on social justice dogma?  Which do you think has a larger footprint?  You know who these kids are because they can't add 2 one-digit numbers into a single number but they have committed to memory the woke victim hierarchy chart.

Which group has the better educated electorate?

5 hours ago, Tiberius said:

They're going to have to be ready to publicly fund a bunch of other religions' public charter schools then...that's a really scary slippery slope. It's not even that hard to create a new "religion" by the state definition. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman