Education in America

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Look this is very simple.

I don't care if it was Bambi, as a teacher you are NOT allowed to show the kids a video without it being cleared.

She knew this and did it anyway and is now crying "victim"   Which is laughably backed by some of PPP's lower posters.

Oh, here's another quote from her.

Your "rights as a parent, those rights are gone when your child is in the public school system"

Yeah, she's just an "innocent" teacher.

I will point this out- we have two weeks of school left and watching movies is not appropriate at this time in my opinion. I also know that movies need to be cleared by the county and Disney does not allow that clearance at least in OCPS.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, B-Man said:

Look this is very simple.

I don't care if it was Bambi, as a teacher you are NOT allowed to show the kids a video without it being cleared.

She knew this and did it anyway and is now crying "victim"   Which is laughably backed by some of PPP's lower posters.

Oh, here's another quote from her.

Your "rights as a parent, those rights are gone when your child is in the public school system"

Yeah, she's just an "innocent" teacher.

That one line alone is why so many are going with home schooling, vouchers, private, and holding the public schools accountable.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

I will point this out- we have two weeks of school left and watching movies is not appropriate at this time in my opinion. I also know that movies need to be cleared by the county and Disney does not allow that clearance at least in OCPS.

I ask this with utmost respect for those that are noble and with friends and family in education…. do you find that there is an abundance of the personality type in public education that get into the field because of the power trip of bossing around a bunch of kids 6 hours a day? 

I feel like I’ve seen a pattern. 

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I ask this with utmost respect for those that are noble and with friends and family in education…. do you find that there is an abundance of the personality type in public education that get into the field because of the power trip of bossing around a bunch of kids 6 hours a day? 

I've never seen that.  The biggest challenge for young teachers is generally classroom management.  

The slow painful death of public education seems to be occurring and it is being sped up by the politicization of literally everything.  Teachers should absolutely steer clear of influencing children of all ages in the political realm.  It is a bedrock of good teaching to facilitate discussion, not to indoctrinate students with political, ideological or religious beliefs.  The trick is to be able to talk about those subjects in the realm of an objective educational setting, which is becoming increasingly difficult.  As the teaching profession becomes more of a "job", that is to say lower pay, hourly wage babysitting, these standards are eroding...no wonder.  

The family unit is under a lot of stress from economic, technological and sociological dynamics, combined with the cumulative effects of Covid, this has put kids under a lot of stress.  Public schools, IMO, are one of our greatest resources we possess as a country.  If we don't preserve public education, there will be millions of kids deprived of not only an education but a safe place to have a meal, interact with peers, connect with supportive adults,  and to see a truly  accessible route to real success in their lives.   Lots of kids don't have much, public schools offer them a lot.  Public schools are far from perfect  and we should demand that they are objective, open, fair and connected to the wants and needs of the community they serve.  That is not to say that communities can make irrational, uniformed and politically motivated demands of schools which they don't know much about.  

Ask yourself as a professional, parent  or tax paying member of a community what your connection is to your local school.  If the answer is "not much", then that's part of the growing problem.  Far too many people don't know the first thing about their local schools, the laws that govern them, the challenges those schools face,  or the great things that happen on a daily basis on the school grounds.  Go find out.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Teachers are indeed gifted professionals and have to show significant restraint in what and how they communicate with their students. They take great pride in their work but in my opinion most over-value their autonomy in ‘their’ classroom. They REALLY don’t like being told how or what to teach. That was OK and generally understood and accepted when it came to the nuance of algebra. It goes completely off the rails when teachers veer into their personal views on non-curriculum topics such as politics, religion and sexuality. A truly professional teacher knows to stay away from those topics. 

• Like (+1) 3

The “educational harm” caused by the coronavirus pandemic has been “devastating,” according to a recent survey of 26 million K-8 students by researchers at Stanford, Johns Hopkins, Dartmouth and Harvard. The researchers also found that the pandemic “exacerbated economic and racial educational inequality,” as lead authors Tom Kane of Harvard and Sean Reardon of Stanford wrote in a New York Times essay accompanying the release of their findings last week.

Standardized test results have similarly shown that American students are losing ground in math, reading, history and social studies. But the new findings, which are part of the Educational Recovery Scorecard, add important — and troubling — context while also calling for urgent action.

In a survey of 7,800 communities in 40 states and Washington, D.C., Kane, Reardon and their colleagues found that between 2019 and 2022, the average “U.S. public school student in grades 3-8 lost the equivalent of a half year of learning in math and a quarter of a year in reading.”

Long-standing inequalities in education also played a role: The less wealthy and white a community was, the more likely it was to suffer pandemic loss. That means the so-called education gap that policymakers have been desperate to close is only getting wider.

By the fall of 2020, it had become clear that children did not appear to contract serious or fatal cases of COVID-19. Nor did schools become the sites of mass outbreaks some feared. Yet in many districts, particularly those controlled by Democrats, schools stayed closed for in-person instruction well into 2021.

By late 2022, researchers were finding that remote learning had caused pronounced learning loss. In a brief that summarizes their findings, the Education Recovery Scorecard authors bolster evidence for that correlation.

“Districts that spent more time in remote instruction during 2020-21 experienced greater losses,” they write.

And those losses, they found, were especially pronounced in communities where parents were employed in “essential” positions that took them away from the home, writing: “Remote learning may have been particularly difficult when adults were less able to help students, as a result of employment obligations.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/devastating-pandemic-learning-loss-needs-urgent-attention-in-us-national-survey-finds-212616790.html

The pandemic didn’t cause this.  From which we are never going to recover - school doesn’t matter anymore.   

Democrats caused that.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 3

Illinois middle school teacher Sarah Bonner was just minding her own business and doing her job, when out of nowhere, students’ parents called the cops on her!

Can you believe it? Called the cops on a teacher for encouraging her students to embrace reading. That’s literally all Bonner was trying to do!

Well, technically, it’s not all Bonner was trying to do … this tweet and article from NBC News gives a little more insight into where things went wrong for Bonner:

The book shown in the photo in the tweet is NOT the book in question.

It’s weird that NBC News wouldn’t want to show a picture of Bonner with “This Book is Gay” or even just a picture of “This Book is Gay.”

Might there be a reason for that?

There might be, yes:

This isn't To Kill a Mockingbird.

These books have explicit sexual material.

These books are not about teaching acceptance.

These books promote explicit sexual acts.

Stop framing this as hate, or censorship.

Parents need to fight back against sexualizing kids.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2023/05/17/nbc-news-tells-sad-tale-of-teacher-who-just-wanted-to-educate-kids-with-bestselling-lgbtq-themed-book/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Illinois middle school teacher Sarah Bonner was just minding her own business and doing her job, when out of nowhere, students’ parents called the cops on her!

Can you believe it? Called the cops on a teacher for encouraging her students to embrace reading. That’s literally all Bonner was trying to do!

Well, technically, it’s not all Bonner was trying to do … this tweet and article from NBC News gives a little more insight into where things went wrong for Bonner:

The book shown in the photo in the tweet is NOT the book in question.

It’s weird that NBC News wouldn’t want to show a picture of Bonner with “This Book is Gay” or even just a picture of “This Book is Gay.”

Might there be a reason for that?

There might be, yes:

This isn't To Kill a Mockingbird.

These books have explicit sexual material.

These books are not about teaching acceptance.

These books promote explicit sexual acts.

Stop framing this as hate, or censorship.

Parents need to fight back against sexualizing kids.

https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2023/05/17/nbc-news-tells-sad-tale-of-teacher-who-just-wanted-to-educate-kids-with-bestselling-lgbtq-themed-book/

• Thank you (+1) 1

DeSantis's police are descending on a school where children saw a movie with a gay character in it. They are going to interrogate the kids to see if...they saw the movie I guess. 

Don't say gay! 

https://www.hastingstribune.com/ap/national/state-may-question-florida-students-who-watched-disney-film-with-gay-character-in-class/article_c0fbffce-b96c-59cd-aa36-6517755ebc18.html

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I think just as with any job where you work with a captive audience there is certainly an element of that for some of my coworkers, especially the ones who are losers otherwise in life. Overall it is not many but one at the elementary level can cause a lot of issues quickly.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Society in complete free fall.  

Maryland dad beaten to death after protecting his kid in middle school fight

A Maryland father was brutally beaten to death outside of his home while protecting his children from a group of teenagers and adults who wanted to finish a fight that started at school, according to the man’s family.

Christopher Michael Wright, 43, was outside of his home Friday when he was confronted by three teens and two adults that were looking for his fiancée’s 14-year-old son, who had gotten in a fight with another teen at Brooklyn Park Middle School earlier in the day, WBAL-TV reported.

When Wright told the group that the boy was not going to come outside to fight, they told him “’If he’s not going to fight, then you’re going to fight,'” Wright’s fiancée Tracy Karopchinsky told the outlet.

The group attacked Wright, who was then taken to an area hospital where he died from a traumatic brain injury on Saturday.

School officials confirmed the fight at the school and said they are now cooperating with Anne Arundel County police during their investigation, WBAL-TV reported.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/23/maryland-dad-beaten-to-death-after-group-attacks-him-over-middle-school-fight/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

• Angry 1

47 minutes ago, B-Man said:

One way that you know public schools are hemorrhaging students and parents is that the WaPo is giving parents who send their kids to public school the “stunning and brave” treatment.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/the-revolt-of-the-christian-home-schoolers/ar-AA1bSchJ

Aaron had grown up believing Christians could out-populate atheists and Muslims by scorning birth control; Christina had been taught the Bible-based arithmetic necessary to calculate the age of a universe less than 8,000 years old. Their education was one in which dinosaurs were herded aboard Noah’s ark — and in which the penalty for doubt or disobedience was swift. Sometimes they still flinched when they remembered their parents’ literal adherence to the words of the Old Testament: “Do not withhold correction from a child, for if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.”

“It’s specifically a system that is set up to hide the abuse. ... At some point, you become so mentally imprisoned you don’t even realize you need help.” Christina Beall

The Bealls knew that many home-schooling families didn’t share the religious doctrines that had so warped their own lives. But they also knew that the same laws that had failed to protect them would continue to fail other children.

“It’s specifically a system that is set up to hide the abuse, to make them invisible, to strip them of any capability of getting help. And not just in a physical way,” Christina said. “At some point, you become so mentally imprisoned you don’t even realize you need help.”

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Aaron had grown up believing Christians could out-populate atheists and Muslims by scorning birth control; Christina had been taught the Bible-based arithmetic necessary to calculate the age of a universe less than 8,000 years old. Their education was one in which dinosaurs were herded aboard Noah’s ark — and in which the penalty for doubt or disobedience was swift. Sometimes they still flinched when they remembered their parents’ literal adherence to the words of the Old Testament: “Do not withhold correction from a child, for if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.”

“It’s specifically a system that is set up to hide the abuse. ... At some point, you become so mentally imprisoned you don’t even realize you need help.” Christina Beall

The Bealls knew that many home-schooling families didn’t share the religious doctrines that had so warped their own lives. But they also knew that the same laws that had failed to protect them would continue to fail other children.

“It’s specifically a system that is set up to hide the abuse, to make them invisible, to strip them of any capability of getting help. And not just in a physical way,” Christina said. “At some point, you become so mentally imprisoned you don’t even realize you need help.”

I believe most of what this lady says about her childhood but with the exception of a few facts, nothing she says is much different than kids in a regular school. Being in a public school does not protect you from terrible parents, it does not protect you from parents who tell you lies. But one thing in the article that is bullcrap is the "dinosaurs on the ark", I know people who don't believe the dinosaurs are real, but no one believes in dinos and believes they were on the ark. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I believe most of what this lady says about her childhood but with the exception of a few facts, nothing she says is much different than kids in a regular school. Being in a public school does not protect you from terrible parents, it does not protect you from parents who tell you lies. But one thing in the article that is bullcrap is the "dinosaurs on the ark", I know people who don't believe the dinosaurs are real, but no one believes in dinos and believes they were on the ark. 

So, Were Dinosaurs on the Ark?

In Genesis 6:19–20, the Bible says that two of every sort of land vertebrate (seven of the “clean” animals) were brought by God to the Ark. Therefore, dinosaurs (land vertebrates) were represented on the Ark.

How Did Those Huge Dinosaurs Fit on the Ark?

Although there are about 668 names of dinosaurs, there are perhaps only 55 different “kinds” of dinosaurs. Furthermore, not all dinosaurs were huge like the Brachiosaurus, and even those dinosaurs on the Ark were probably “teenagers” or young adults.

https://answersingenesis.org/dinosaurs/were-dinosaurs-on-noahs-ark/

?

The Bible does not list the names of every creature on the Ark. It does say that one set of every kind of air-breathing animal was on board (Genesis 6:19-20, 7:15-16). So, dinosaurs must have been included.

There is evidence that dinosaurs lived after the Flood. For instance, Job saw “behemoth” after the Flood. (Other evidences will be discussed later.)

The Ark was a very large ship designed especially by God for its important purpose. It was so large and complex that it took Noah 120 years to build. Noah used this time to warn people about the Flood and convince them to turn to God and be saved with his

https://christiananswers.net/dinosaurs/j-ark1.html

The Ark had plenty of room for all the animals, including the dinosaurs. It was carefully built to fulfill the needs of each passenger as they rested in safety during the great Flood. Many of the animals may have slept through most of the trip.

Noah did not have to go out and find the animals. God brought each one. This probably included a young pair of each main type of dinosaur. Perhaps God just included the basic types of dinosaurs He first created; not every variety that had developed since Creation.

Young dinosaurs would be small and easier to care for and would use less food. It would have been foolish to fill up space on the Ark with the oldest, biggest adults.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

So, Were Dinosaurs on the Ark?

In Genesis 6:19–20, the Bible says that two of every sort of land vertebrate (seven of the “clean” animals) were brought by God to the Ark. Therefore, dinosaurs (land vertebrates) were represented on the Ark.

How Did Those Huge Dinosaurs Fit on the Ark?

Although there are about 668 names of dinosaurs, there are perhaps only 55 different “kinds” of dinosaurs. Furthermore, not all dinosaurs were huge like the Brachiosaurus, and even those dinosaurs on the Ark were probably “teenagers” or young adults.

https://answersingenesis.org/dinosaurs/were-dinosaurs-on-noahs-ark/

?

The Bible does not list the names of every creature on the Ark. It does say that one set of every kind of air-breathing animal was on board (Genesis 6:19-20, 7:15-16). So, dinosaurs must have been included.

There is evidence that dinosaurs lived after the Flood. For instance, Job saw “behemoth” after the Flood. (Other evidences will be discussed later.)

The Ark was a very large ship designed especially by God for its important purpose. It was so large and complex that it took Noah 120 years to build. Noah used this time to warn people about the Flood and convince them to turn to God and be saved with his

https://christiananswers.net/dinosaurs/j-ark1.html

The Ark had plenty of room for all the animals, including the dinosaurs. It was carefully built to fulfill the needs of each passenger as they rested in safety during the great Flood. Many of the animals may have slept through most of the trip.

Noah did not have to go out and find the animals. God brought each one. This probably included a young pair of each main type of dinosaur. Perhaps God just included the basic types of dinosaurs He first created; not every variety that had developed since Creation.

Young dinosaurs would be small and easier to care for and would use less food. It would have been foolish to fill up space on the Ark with the oldest, biggest adults.

You are literally the  first person I have ever dealt with that claims that dinosaurs and humans were on earth at the same time. I can't argue with someone who disregards science and then disregards religion. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2