Education in America

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

At least you recognize your diabetes stupidity poor credit obesity, poor curb appeal are self inflicted. That the fist step to breaking your dependency on the government. Realizing they don’t need to control your life. 

Who said anything about poor curb appeal?  Sounds like there’s a little projecting there!  But it’s probably true.  I’m retired from the scene, but from what I hear women don’t care to date angry dudes who wear red hats and think the world owes them a favor because they didn’t do well in school and now have to do such things as clean my car and collect my trash.  

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Who said anything about poor curb appeal?  Sounds like there’s a little projecting there!  But it’s probably true.  I’m retired from the scene, but from what I hear women don’t care to date angry dudes who wear red hats and think the world owes them a favor because they didn’t do well in school and now have to do such things as clean my car and collect my trash.  

I could see why you’d retire with all the health and financial problems. Tell you what, just I completed my annual contribution of a third of my income to you destitute SNAP’ers and leaches, but next year I’ll toss in a couple extra buck just for you. 

Just please Send me a picture for my fridge so I know who I’ve sponsored. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I could see why you’d retire with all the health and financial problems. Tell you what, just I completed my annual contribution of a third of my income to you destitute SNAP’ers and leaches, but next year I’ll toss in a couple extra buck just for you. 

Just please Send me a picture for my fridge so I know who I’ve sponsored. 

Thanks for contributing a couple of bucks to social welfare programs.  I think it’s a way to get in good with St. Peter when you inevitably run into him at the pearly gates.  Hopefully now you have some more time to get to work on your anger issues!

2 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

hopefully we see a lot more of that going foreward.

Your post illustrates why this is a bad idea. 

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Your post illustrates why this is a bad idea. 

How so?  Can you articulate why?

I feel that as long as the public schools keep failing kids, and alienating parents. more and more will be looking to fund kids vs that system.  provides them the same options the rich have.

29 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

I feel that as long as the public schools keep failing kids, and alienating parents. more and more will be looking to fund kids vs that system.  provides them the same options the rich have.

Happy to enlighten you.  You misspelled forward.  It’s a fairly simple thing.  To me, at least.  And, if we weaken public schools through efforts such as those in South Carolina, we risk diluting the bedrock of our educational system.  Which, of course, leaves us with a bunch of people who can’t properly spell “forward.”  Is your grammar (or, largely, anyone’s grammar) a big issue?  Of course not.  But if we can’t get the small things right, we can’t get the big things right.  That does not bode well for the future of our country.  

55 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Now Comes ‘Equitable Grading’ to Dumb Down Our Children.

The Wall Street Journal reports on a growing trend in high schools to ditch homework and move to an “equitable grading” system, which is supposed to measure whether a student knows the classroom material by the end of a term without penalties for behavior like skipping class.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/rick-moran/2023/04/26/now-comes-equitable-grading-to-dumb-down-our-children-n1690597

I don’t hate this. If you can get the grade and master the material why does how you got there matter? 

4 hours ago, Chris farley said:

I don't mean to be completely dismissive but why are parents accepting poor schools? I moved to make sure that my children's schools were top notch schools, better than the majority of private schools. If the schools fell apart I would move into a better district, but there is no way I would accept what is happening in Buffalo city schools or so many other places.

40 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t hate this. If you can get the grade and master the material why does how you got there matter? 

The issue with this is how does a child show mastery? If it is an in person test then I can accept it but since cheating is so easy in every curriculum now, it must be a monitored and in person proof.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I don't mean to be completely dismissive but why are parents accepting poor schools? I moved to make sure that my children's schools were top notch schools, better than the majority of private schools. If the schools fell apart I would move into a better district, but there is no way I would accept what is happening in Buffalo city schools or so many other places.

The issue with this is how does a child show mastery? If it is an in person test then I can accept it but since cheating is so easy in every curriculum now, it must be a monitored and in person proof.

You answered it yourself.  You would move.  Many don't have the resources to move to a burb for the schools.  

I just see many moving to charter , home or private. 

23 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

22 hours ago, Chris farley said:

You answered it yourself.  You would move.  Many don't have the resources to move to a burb for the schools.  

I just see many moving to charter , home or private. 

it’s just absurd… one extreme wants to force one to bear a child they don’t care enough about to want to properly raise, and the other side chooses to incentivize having kids you can’t afford to support with subsidies.

• Like (+1) 1

Bernie!  Education is a priority.  He wants people to be upwardly mobile and supports efforts to that goal

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3980539-sanders-warns-lawmakers-not-to-go-to-war-on-the-working-class-during-debt-negotiations/

“And I’m willing to look at any other proposals. There’s a lot of waste within government. Let’s go after it. But don’t go to war against the working class of this country, lower-income people. Don’t tell kids that they can’t afford to go to college or cut back on public education in America. We have already too much inequality in America. Let’s not make it worse,” he added.

More Bernie today: And if Democrats and the president get stronger on working-class issues and “take on the greed of the insurance companies, drug companies, Wall Street, all the big money interests, and start delivering for working class people,” Sanders said, “I think Biden is going to win in a landslide.”

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Eyeroll 1