London Updated

corta765

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

How long will you be there? We packed WAY too heavy for a 2 week trip in the spring. I’ll be leaving Wednesday evening (a week from TODAY!) and returning on Monday. I can get by  with a small carryon bag. 

This may be hokey and touristy (OK, it IS), but I’ve never been to London before and may do one of those hop on/hop off loops around the city to get my bearings. Kind of take a quick lap to get acquainted.  We never did that for my first trips to Paris and Rome in the spring, and I kinda wish we had. Is that a horrible idea? 

Hey Augie…it all depends on your ability to walk around. ALL of the below listed major sites are along a three mile route right along the Thames. In order of west to east: 

Westminster

10 Downing Street

Buckingham Palace

Piccadilly Circus / Regent Street

The National Gallery

Nelson’s Column/Trafalgar Square 

Covent Garden

West end theater district 

St Paul’s Cathedral 

Shakespeares Globe Theatre (cross the River and back)

Tower of London

And when you get to one end you just hop on the tube back to your hotel. It takes the majority of a day but you simply can’t beat walking the streets of London. 

By the way….weather is currently showing temperatures in the mid 60s to low 70s for the course of Thursday through Monday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dr Krentist said:

It'll also be my first time and I'm totally going the tourist route. I'm planning on getting the 72 hr ticket to get around. It's cheaper than taking an uber or taxi.

I’ll be touristy….in a Pub somewhere! I kid, kind of. 

As our spring trip wore on I found myself leaving my wife to see the extra museum or cathedral by herself. I opted to wander in the city we were visiting and see the sights and people. The farther I wandered from the touristy stuff, the more I generally liked it. Awesome trip for this guy who got a late start in life with serious traveling. 

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hey Augie…it all depends on your ability to walk around. ALL of the below listed major sites are along a three mile route right along the Thames. In order of west to east: 

Westminster

10 Downing Street

Buckingham Palace

Piccadilly Circus / Regent Street

The National Gallery

Nelson’s Column/Trafalgar Square 

Covent Garden

West end theater district 

St Paul’s Cathedral 

Shakespeares Globe Theatre (cross the River and back)

Tower of London

And when you get to one end you just hop on the tube back to your hotel. It takes the majority of a day but you simply can’t beat walking the streets of London. 

By the way….weather is currently showing temperatures in the mid 60s to low 70s for the course of Thursday through Monday.

Thanks! That sounds like a lot to see in a short stretch. Our house is 3 miles from the Braves stadium and I’ve walked that before, while seeing FAR LESS!  

If you look at the health app on my phone, you can easily see the times we were traveling and my steps spiked! 

Just now, Augie said:

Thanks! That sounds like a lot to see in a short stretch. Our house is 3 miles from the Braves stadium and I’ve walked that before, while seeing FAR LESS!  

If you look at the health app on my phone, you can easily see the times we were traveling and my steps spiked! 

If it sounds like a lot to see....it is. If you see everything on my list I highly doubt you'll return wishing you'd seen anything else.  Just take your time and stop in a pub or two along the route. And remember to save some sites for next trip. We did really enjoy visiting Windsor Castle, which is a few Tube stops out be Heathrow. That you'll want to do on another day, if you're up for it.  Likewise there are tons of museums, if that's your thing...but I'd definitely start with my list. You won't regret it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

We are doing a similar thing.  We signed up for the 2 day bus tour for that Monday and Tuesday, and are going to make those two days our London site seeing days, taking our time.

For us

Wednesday - Arrive that morning, get settled in AirBNB, get groceries, adjust to time zone, wander the local area

Thursday - Day trip to Paris.  Long day

Friday - Harry Potter Tour at the filming studios, then London's version of Time Square in the evening

Saturday - Some local famous farmers market in the morning, Soccer Match afternoon, then Bills Pub (TBD) in the evening

Sunday - Bills Game

Mon/Tue - Tour London

Wednesday - Fly home

• Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

We are doing a similar thing.  We signed up for the 2 day bus tour for that Monday and Tuesday, and are going to make those two days our London site seeing days, taking our time.

For us

Wednesday - Arrive that morning, get settled in AirBNB, get groceries, adjust to time zone, wander the local area

Thursday - Day trip to Paris.  Long day

Friday - Harry Potter Tour at the filming studios, then London's version of Time Square in the evening

Saturday - Some local famous farmers market in the morning, Soccer Match afternoon, then Bills Pub (TBD) in the evening

Sunday - Bills Game

Mon/Tue - Tour London

Wednesday - Fly home

Hey Virgil

What soccer match are you going to? I haven’t decided yet. 

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Hey Virgil

What soccer match are you going to? I haven’t decided yet. 

I'm actually not going to the game.  They are seeing Queen's Park Rangers hosting Blackburn.  I don't think my knee will be able to handle a full day like that.  My Father, BIL, and Nephews are all going.  I'm going to take my daughter back to the AirBNB for a break mid-day.  If I could have scored Wrexham tickets, I may have pushed through.  

They all got tickets to see 

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks

Are Oyster cards essentially gone then? My wife and I still have ours from our last visit. If we now use my credit card how do we go through together? Do you just pass the credit card to each new rider in your party? 

Oyster cards are still there and are still an option, but no need to get one if you don't already have one and if you have a contactless credit card.

Since you need to tap in when you get on the train and tap out when you get off (unlike NYC where you don't need to tap out), you and your beloved should use separate cards, either separate credit cards or one Oyster and one CC

By the way you can use Google Wallet, Apple Pay etc and you can pay with a smart watch which saves the trouble of fumbling for cards in a busy station.

Forgot to mention is that there is a daily cap above which you ride for free.  Check the TFL website (transport for London) for details.

Edited by Dan Darragh
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Cromwell Mansions to Victoria.  It's 2.8 Miles away.  Need to get there around 9a and will be heading back around 5p

You can get the 74 bus from Earls Court to Hyde Park Corner. That will get you most of the way. About a 15 minute walk from there. 

Or a cab.

• Like (+1) 1

Unsolicited advice, but having travelled internationally for my entire career, it might help someone.

Get a photocopy of the second page of your passport, the one with your picture and data on it,

Store that copy away from your passport. If the passport is somehow misplaced, you can use the photocopy at Immigration on your return.

I've never lost mine, but I've seen flight attendants lose theirs many times, and having that photocopy can save a massive hassle.

• Like (+1) 4

Hi all, here’s update from Manchester Bills Backers, if anyone didn’t get into Fitzrovia:

Hey guys, a little info for you:

Hi everyone! Welcome to both our British and American Bills families as they arrive in London for the game! This is an event for any Bills fans who didn't / couldn't purchase tickets to the Fitzrovia Belle for the Saturday and Sunday Bills parties. Feel free to share this event with family and friends. We're looking forward to turning Tottenham Court Road blue!

The plan:
Please arrive OUTSIDE of the Fitzerovia Belle Pub in Central London at 6PM on SATURDAY, OCT. 7TH and between 7-9PM SUNDAY, OCT. 8TH. On both dates, the PRIMARY sponsored pub for Bills Stragglers will be TCR BAR (183 Tottenham Ct Rd., W1T 7PE). The OVERFLOW bars will be THE COURT (108a Tottenham Ct Rd., W1T 5AA), and THE CARPENTERS ARMS (SAT ONLY) (68-70 Whitfield St., W1T 4EY). All three bars have outdoor terraces.

On SUNDAY, we are setting up a pub for the stragglers to meet up before the game. Please keep your eyes peeled here, in Stragglers WhatsApp, and on FB for updates on this.

Speaking of WhatsApp - if you wish to join the Stragglers WhatsApp group, follow: https://chat.whatsapp.com/LsDQkstGpIl8hgm5pafNSV

It goes without saying, but please be respectful of London, its local pubs, and of each other. We are a reflection of Bills fans in the UK and abroad, so violence and other forms of mental, physical, or emotional abuse will result in the individual being asked to leave. Keep each other safe and have fun! GO BILLS!

We're up to 13 confirmed fine folk for the curry on Saturday night before the game. If anyone else would like to joins us (even just to get us off unlucky number 13!) they'd be most welcome.

I'll be calling the restaurant to confirm numbers tomorrow night. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

Is the Admiralty Pub in Trafalgar Square an unofficial meeting spot for Bills fans who don’t have tixs to other events?  Go Bills. 

Looks like The Admiralty is an official NFL designated team pub - https://www.nfl.com/news/london-game-week-of-game-events

The UK/London/Manchester Bills groups' socials are probably the best bet for all things events wise over the course of the week. 

Edited by BritBill

1 hour ago, BritBill said:

The London weather forecast for the back end of next week and especially the weekend is glorious. Make sure to pack your cargo shorts and golf polos my American friends. 

Currently showing it to be in the low 70s all weekend. Crazy! I may have to rethink my wardrobe. 

• Like (+1) 2

Four days until I fly in. Getting pumped. This is the first time in Europe for my wife and me.

Tourist stuff Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. We got a 3 day all-inclusive pass to see many of the sites.

NFL experience Saturday afternoon and then get to one of the designated pubs for dinner and festivities. 

Game on Sunday.

Paris Monday afternoon until Wednesday.

Looking forward to meeting many of you. Thank you to the British guys for all the tips. I have picked up a lot of information from this thread. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Friendly reminder go and look at the Tower of London..... but don't pay to go in. Just a load of fake plastic attractions and actors pratting about in fancy dress. Save your money. Complete tourist trap. And while I am at it don't even think of buying fish and chips from the "traditional fish and chip" stand opposite. Just mushed up *****. Find a proper london chippy. 

If you are in the westminster / victoria / Buck House neck of the wood the Laughing Halibut is not far from you and it is one of the best chippys in London https://maps.app.goo.gl/Nh5MLnipgu3EPtEc6

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Curry House booked for 7:30pm on Saturday 7 October.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d1735578-Reviews-Eastern_Eye_Balti_House-London_England.html

I think I’ve replied to everyone who sent me a message. Any concerns please do get in touch. Most of you have my phone number. 

See some of you next week! 

• Like (+1) 3

This looks good for anyone interested. 

https://batterseapowerstation.co.uk/events/nfl-experience-london/

Battersea power station also has a really cool elevator experience where a huge circular glass elevator takes you up through one of the chimneys and out at the top so you can see panoramic views of London. A nice alternative to the London Eye.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, joshhasbighands said:

This looks good for anyone interested. 

https://batterseapowerstation.co.uk/events/nfl-experience-london/

Battersea power station also has a really cool elevator experience where a huge circular glass elevator takes you up through one of the chimneys and out at the top so you can see panoramic views of London. A nice alternative to the London Eye.

Yep, we’re heading there with our sons. 

After we’re going to jump on the Thames taxi boat up to Greenwich and gonna give the cable cars over the river a go. 

3 hours ago, BritBill said:

Curry House booked for 7:30pm on Saturday 7 October.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d1735578-Reviews-Eastern_Eye_Balti_House-London_England.html

I think I’ve replied to everyone who sent me a message. Any concerns please do get in touch. Most of you have my phone number. 

See some of you next week! 

Thank you for coordinating this BritBill. I look forward to meeting you and everyone else. Who else is joining us?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Friendly reminder go and look at the Tower of London..... but don't pay to go in. Just a load of fake plastic attractions and actors pratting about in fancy dress. Save your money. Complete tourist trap. And while I am at it don't even think of buying fish and chips from the "traditional fish and chip" stand opposite. Just mushed up *****. Find a proper london chippy. 

If you are in the westminster / victoria / Buck House neck of the wood the Laughing Halibut is not far from you and it is one of the best chippys in London https://maps.app.goo.gl/Nh5MLnipgu3EPtEc6

Yeah, but you need an umbrella and a bolller, right? 😉

36 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

Any locals have advice on train from Gatwick into London Friday afternoon? 

Flying in from Dublin and have a car reserved to get us to hotel, but if it's not necessary I'd rather cancel and take the train if planned strikes not expected to have impacts then.

Central London? You can get train from Gatwick to London Victoria station… it’s like a 20-25 min train. Then you can get on the Tube from there.

I just saw a YouTube clip that made me look up this CityMapper app. I didn’t see it posted and I have no idea if it’s the best thing ever, or hot garbage. Probably somewhere in the middle. Anyway, they say in the event of a strike, they will not only tell you what Tube line to take, where to transfer, etc, but they will re-route you in a way that will work. 

Anyone familiar with this, or is it so simple and obvious everyone knew about it? 

https://citymapper.com/london?lang=en

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

I just saw a YouTube clip that made me look up this CityMapper app. I didn’t see it posted and I have no idea if it’s the best thing ever, or hot garbage. Probably somewhere in the middle. Anyway, they say in the event of a strike, they will not only tell you what Tube line to take, where to transfer, etc, but they will re-route you in a way that will work. 

Anyone familiar with this, or is it so simple and obvious everyone knew about it? 

https://citymapper.com/london?lang=en

Yea most people who live here use it if they are going to a part of town they are less familiar with. It's a good app.

7 hours ago, BillsFanNC said:

Any locals have advice on train from Gatwick into London Friday afternoon? 

Flying in from Dublin and have a car reserved to get us to hotel, but if it's not necessary I'd rather cancel and take the train if planned strikes not expected to have impacts then.

The train is not affected by the strikes. Depends how far you then have to go, because the tube strike us still on as of now I believe.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/4/2023 at 10:33 AM, BritBill said:

Definitely have a good walk if you can. If you get lost, just search on your phone for the nearest tube station. You'll lever be far from one. 

Some excellent self-guided walks can be found here - https://www.londonforfree.net/

I am not as parsimonious as House, but I do appreciate this link.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Our second AirBNB just got cancelled on us and we leave in 2 days. 

Between this and the Tube strikes, how ticket sales were handled, and the Tube strikes, planning for this trip has been stupid.  It shouldn’t be this much of a pain. 

I’m sure we will have a good time, but this is getting stupid 

• Shocked 1

55 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Our second AirBNB just got cancelled on us and we leave in 2 days. 

Between this and the Tube strikes, how ticket sales were handled, and the Tube strikes, planning for this trip has been stupid.  It shouldn’t be this much of a pain. 

I’m sure we will have a good time, but this is getting stupid 

AirBNB is going downhill. It gets sketchier and less reliable each day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.