London Updated

corta765

9 minutes ago, MattM said:

Many thanks again. This article lists the train lines impacted by the strikes (although it's tough to tell which days which lines are striking, as there are apparently several days) and unfortunately HE is in the list of striking railways:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/09/24/train-strike-dates-2023-rail-services-affected-aslef/

Well there ya go. Good thing we’re arriving on Thursday morning then! Fingers crossed. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Well there ya go. Good thing we’re arriving on Thursday morning then! Fingers crossed. 

We're unfortunately arriving on Friday, so I just tried to order a cab via our hotel's concierge desk. London also has Uber so we should all be prepared for surge pricing being in effect on Friday.

Time to check on what's near the hotel for Friday afternoon activities....

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m also arriving at Heathrow Thursday morning about 8am (Delta from ATL) and I figured I’d drop my bag at the hotel and wander about. I was curious about check-in time and just realized it looks like I’m booked for Wed night! The sensible thing to do would be to cancel that night. The wife said “just keep it if you want, you might be glad you did.” I love my wife! 

As for the transportation, we’ll just have to figure it out. I guess that will have to be part of the adventure!

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m also arriving at Heathrow Thursday morning about 8am (Delta from ATL) and I figured I’d drop my bag at the hotel and wander about. I was curious about check-in time and just realized it looks like I’m booked for Wed night! The sensible thing to do would be to cancel that night. The wife said “just keep it if you want, you might be glad you did.” I love my wife! 

As for the transportation, we’ll just have to figure it out. I guess that will have to be part of the adventure!

Keep it, just make sure they'll let you "check in" Thursday morning.  It'll be nice to drop your bags in your room instead of leaving them with the front desk.  Plus you can grab a quick nap or change or shower before heading out.  When I went to Australia, we landed in the morning, I think around 9am, and couldn't check in till after 3pm.  Was stuck wearing the clothes we had on while walking around Sydney, wishing we could just grab a nap and shower. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Keep it, just make sure they'll let you "check in" Thursday morning.  It'll be nice to drop your bags in your room instead of leaving them with the front desk.  Plus you can grab a quick nap or change or shower before heading out.  When I went to Australia, we landed in the morning, I think around 9am, and couldn't check in till after 3pm.  Was stuck wearing the clothes we had on while walking around Sydney, wishing we could just grab a nap and shower. 

I’m sure many parts of Sydney wished you had had a chance to clean up as well.    😂 

On 9/22/2023 at 5:10 PM, BritBill said:

If anyone else is wanting to join us for a curry on Saturday 7th evening could drop me message to confirm that would be great. 

We’ll be aiming to eat at 7pm. 

I’ll look at reserving the restaurant this time next week. 

Where will be going?

I am told that this place is excellent:

Dishoom

13 hours ago, Peter said:

Where will be going?

Dishoom

Here is the plan - https://easterneyebricklane.co.uk

Are you wanting to join us? We have 7 so far. 

Dishoom is excellent though. My stepson used to work at the branch in Manchester. The bacon naan bread sandwich is one of the best breakfasts  you’ll ever have. 

11 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I use the Time and Date website to get a two week forecast. Right now it’s showing 71 and cloudy for the game….but remember it’s London so it changes pretty regularly. 

Any wind will be a non-factor. Spurs stadium is a big closed bowl.

No roof so rain will have an impact if there is any. 

I got a mail this morning saying tickets were available

Pardon me at first, I have a very light knowledge use of a smartphone, I bought one recently for this special event

so in the mail, I have 2 links for the tickets (i have bought 2 tickets)

I have installed on the smartphone google wallet app

I clicked on the 1st link, after a painfull I'm not a robot sequence, it seems the ticket was added into the wallet

Then I clicked on the second link, and when i wanted to add the ticket i got a message saying i can only add the card to one account, do I confirm.

(I didn't confirm, I was afraid it would erase/override the 1st one)

So now I am a bit lost

Do my friend coming with me need to add the 2nd ticket in his smartphone wallet ? seems the easier thing

Can someone help/enlight me please ?

On 9/24/2023 at 1:59 PM, MattM said:

Many thanks again. This article lists the train lines impacted by the strikes (although it's tough to tell which days which lines are striking, as there are apparently several days) and unfortunately HE is in the list of striking railways:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/09/24/train-strike-dates-2023-rail-services-affected-aslef/

A possible alternative could be a National Express coach service into London Victoria. Cost to get that far into the City would be considerably less, and an Uber/black cab from there to wherever you are staying, would also be a lot cheaper. You will need to book in advance though (the coach), as they are bound to be extra busy due to the train/tube strikes.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BritBill said:

Here is the plan - https://easterneyebricklane.co.uk

Are you wanting to join us? We have 7 so far. 

Yes, I am interested in joining you guys. 

For some reason, my office blocked the link but it appears that this place is near my hotel in Shoreditch. 

Also, my friend who was supposed to meet me in London is probably not going to be able to go because of something that just got scheduled on that Friday.

I will be going to the Bills game, but will have to leave early because the Arsenal game got rescheduled from Saturday to Sunday afternoon. 

Transportation questions for anyone in the know:

Apparently, I am arriving on the day of the tube strike. Normally, I would take the Heathrow Express and connect with the tube . . . unless, of course, I were staying in Paddington, in which case, I would walk to my hotel.

This trip, I am staying in Shoreditch. Given the planned tube strike, any advice on how best to get from Heathrow to Shoreditch?

Also, is the Elizabeth line considered to be a tube line and subject to the strike?

I look forward to meeting my fellow Bills fans . . . especially if they are Gooners like me.

COYG!!!

Edited by Peter

On 9/25/2023 at 3:36 PM, Buddo said:

A possible alternative could be a National Express coach service into London Victoria. Cost to get that far into the City would be considerably less, and an Uber/black cab from there to wherever you are staying, would also be a lot cheaper. You will need to book in advance though (the coach), as they are bound to be extra busy due to the train/tube strikes.

Many thanks--I've decided to bite the gullet and just do a cab from the airport which my hotel arranged. Just don't want to get stranded on Friday--too much to try to do and see!

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/26/2023 at 2:29 AM, Riverboat Ritchie said:

Are there other bars and establishments near the Bills backers bar in London if you don’t have tixs to event but still want to hang w Bills fans?  

The UK Bills group have mentioned The Admiralty pub as a designated Bills pub for the weekend. The address is 66 Trafalgar Square, St James's, London, WC2N 5DS. The nearest tube station to the pub looks like Charing Cross served by the Bakerloo and Northern lines. 

There's also the The Fitzrovia Belle pub which is where the UK Bills meet to watch games. The address for this is 74 Tottenham Ct Rd, London, W1T 7NS. The nearest tube station is Goodge Street which is served by the Northern Line. You could do both mentioned pubs using the Northern Line!

I hope this helps. The UK Bills social media channels would be the best place to get more information. 

On 9/25/2023 at 11:41 PM, Peter said:

Yes, I am interested in joining you guys. 

For some reason, my office blocked the link but it appears that this place is near my hotel in Shoreditch. 

Also, my friend who was supposed to meet me in London is probably not going to be able to go because of something that just got scheduled on that Friday.

I will be going to the Bills game, but will have to leave early because the Arsenal game got rescheduled from Saturday to Sunday afternoon. 

Transportation questions for anyone in the know:

Apparently, I am arriving on the day of the tube strike. Normally, I would take the Heathrow Express and connect with the tube . . . unless, of course, I were staying in Paddington, in which case, I would walk to my hotel.

This trip, I am staying in Shoreditch. Given the planned tube strike, any advice on how best to get from Heathrow to Shoreditch?

Also, is the Elizabeth line considered to be a tube line and subject to the strike?

I look forward to meeting my fellow Bills fans . . . especially if they are Gooners like me.

COYG!!!

Lizzy Line is not a tube line and is not subject to the strike.

• Like (+1) 2

Any more the curry house on Saturday 7 October at 7:30pm?

Eastern Eye Balti House

63A Brick Lane

E1 6QL

Restaurant is in between Shoreditch High Street London Overground & Aldgate East tube stations on the famous Brick Lane in the East End of London. 

I'll be calling to reserve a table this Saturday. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/23/2023 at 8:53 PM, MattM said:

Many thanks—I agree that it’s normally super easy to get around London, but the day we arrive there is a Tube strike planned, so was wondering if that also means the HE will also not be running. I’d love to avoid having to book an advance taxi or car for $200 if we can, but also would hate to arrive and be stuck at the airport with no way into the city due to the strike.

For those of you who haven't been to London recently, the Heathrow Express (the most expensive train ride per mile in the world) is now obsolete.  The brand new Elizabeth Line (which is part of the London Underground) goes from Heathrow right through the center of town including Paddington and points east, and it costs the same as a tube ride and takes only about 10 minutes longer.  The Heathrow Express costs about $30 and the Elizabeth Line costs less than $7 for a single ride, even less if you get a daily or weekly pass.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/25/2023 at 2:13 AM, Peter said:

Where will be going?

Dishoom

Dishoom is excellent but you can't book. So for bigger parties not ideal.

5 hours ago, BritBill said:

The UK Bills group have mentioned The Admiralty pub as a designated Bills pub for the weekend. The address is 66 Trafalgar Square, St James's, London, WC2N 5DS. The nearest tube station to the pub looks like Charing Cross served by the Bakerloo and Northern lines. 

There's also the The Fitzrovia Belle pub which is where the UK Bills meet to watch games. The address for this is 74 Tottenham Ct Rd, London, W1T 7NS. The nearest tube station is Goodge Street which is served by the Northern Line. You could do both mentioned pubs using the Northern Line!

I hope this helps. The UK Bills social media channels would be the best place to get more information. 

Ugh. Really? Fair to say not my favourite pub. Stinks of cheap fried fish and chips. Service is slow. Poorly laid out. 

In its favour... decent choice of beers.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

Suggestion for those headed over.  Buy / use a AirTag or Tile device for your check in luggage.  Inexpensive (~$25).  Saved my vacation back in July.

We’ve taken to packing light and doing it all with carry on. A small suitcase PLUS a backpack. You’d be surprised how much you can actually fit. It allows us to get around much easier once we’re over there with all of the public transport (trains and subway systems). 

PS: Don’t over pack. Just bring black and grey clothes. Europeans tend to dress much simpler.

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

When I bought tickets they said I would be notified at a later date to download, or access them, since then I haven't heard anything.  What is the status of the tickets for others?

Funny you should mention it. StubHub intentional just emailed me my confirmation this morning. My tickets are confirmed and will be available for download when I get there. That’s how it worked last time we went to London too. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, CNYfan said:

When I bought tickets they said I would be notified at a later date to download, or access them, since then I haven't heard anything.  What is the status of the tickets for others?

I bought my tickets last week and I received the email to download them yesterday.  

• Like (+1) 1

I might now have a spare. I will know Monday. 

Appreciate late for people to arrange to come over but if any parties are travelling 1 game ticket short give me a shout before Monday. 

I just got 2 together for me and my mate on Stubhub so my original one might be going free (as long as downloadable link for the stubhub ones turn up Monday as promised). If someone here wants it I'd do it at face value. Otherwise I will try the secondary market.

Edited by GunnerBill

4 hours ago, BritBill said:

Any more the curry house on Saturday 7 October at 7:30pm?

Eastern Eye Balti House

63A Brick Lane

E1 6QL

Restaurant is in between Shoreditch High Street London Overground & Aldgate East tube stations on the famous Brick Lane in the East End of London. 

I'll be calling to reserve a table this Saturday. 

Hi BritBill, can you count myself (Graeme) and my friend Ed (the Eagles fan!) - in for the curry booking please?  Looks great. We're coming down on the Saturday from Edinburgh.     

38 minutes ago, GrimboG said:

Hi BritBill, can you count myself (Graeme) and my friend Ed (the Eagles fan!) - in for the curry booking please?  Looks great. We're coming down on the Saturday from Edinburgh.     

Of course, GG. I'll be in touch with final details at the end of the week. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

For those in the know, I have some questions regarding the "contactless" way of traveling. 

How does it work? Do I just tap in and out with an accepted credit card or do I do something else?

I tried to set up an account but the site automatically did not allow me to proceed. Does that mean that non-UK residents cannot set up an account?

I have Oyster cards from prior trips. Should I just use those? Do they work on the Elizabeth line?  

Based on the great advice of posters above, I plan on taking the Elizabeth line from Heathrow to the Liverpool Street Station on October 6.

Thank you in advance for all of your input!

14 minutes ago, Peter said:

For those in the know, I have some questions regarding the "contactless" way of traveling. 

How does it work? Do I just tap in and out with an accepted credit card or do I do something else?

I tried to set up an account but the site automatically did not allow me to proceed. Does that mean that non-UK residents cannot set up an account?

I have Oyster cards from prior trips. Should I just use those? Do they work on the Elizabeth line?  

Based on the great advice of posters above, I plan on taking the Elizabeth line from Heathrow to the Liverpool Street Station on October 6.

I'm NOT in the know, but was looking at the website earlier and got the impression that the contactless account (?) was restricted, but that Apple Pay would work as alternative to Oyster card w/ Elizabeth Line....can anyone confirm?

• Like (+1) 1

According to the below you can tap in and out on the Liz Line. You should be fine using Apple Pay on your iPhone or a debit/credit card if it had contactless payment ability.

Do remember to tap in and out at the stations both ends of your journey.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/elizabeth-line/your-journey-by-elizabeth-line#on-this-page-2

Edited by BritBill
  • Like (+1) 2

It appears that I stumbled into a great situation.

As I have mentioned in prior posts, I go to London now and again to see Arsenal play. In the past, I have stayed at a hotel in Paddington (because that is where the Heathrow Express goes). When I was making plans, I initially checked out the hotel that I typically stay at. For whatever reason, their rates are now ridiculous. Accordingly, I looked to see what hotels partnered with the American Express Platinum card. A friend turned me on to this approach. You can get great deals (or at least better deals).

I ended up booking in an area of London that I have never been to . . . Shoreditch. From what I have learned from BritBill and others, Shoreditch is a fun area to stay. I was worried about how to get to my hotel (the Mondrian) from Heathrow in any event but especially because of the strike. It turns out, the Elizabeth Line goes to the Liverpool Street Station which is not too far from my hotel. In fact, it is walking distance.

Thanks to BritBill and GunnerBill (and others) for all of your helpful advice.

Go Bills!!!

Go Gunners!!!

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Peter said:

You can tap in with any credit card that works for contact free payment.  You can use up your old Oyster cards if they have a balance and haven't expired so try them first.

Elizabeth Line is like any other Tube line, payment is the same.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

You can tap in with any credit card that works for contact free payment.  You can use up your old Oyster cards if they have a balance and haven't expired so try them first.

Elizabeth Line is like any other Tube line, payment is the same.

Thanks

Are Oyster cards essentially gone then? My wife and I still have ours from our last visit. If we now use my credit card how do we go through together? Do you just pass the credit card to each new rider in your party? 

I have dinner reservations at Wright Brothers in Kensington on Saturday. 

I noticed there are a lot of pubs near the stadium, will those be full of Bills fans before the game on Sunday? 

Staying at Drayton Court Hotel in Ealing.

Any feedback?

46 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

Coincidence, but they just dropped in my email box.  So, things are great.

I am not packing light though.  

How long will you be there? We packed WAY too heavy for a 2 week trip in the spring. I’ll be leaving Wednesday evening (a week from TODAY!) and returning on Monday. I can get by  with a small carryon bag. 

This may be hokey and touristy (OK, it IS), but I’ve never been to London before and may do one of those hop on/hop off loops around the city to get my bearings. Kind of take a quick lap to get acquainted.  We never did that for my first trips to Paris and Rome in the spring, and I kinda wish we had. Is that a horrible idea? 

Edited by Augie

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

How long will you be there? We packed WAY too heavy for a 2 week trip in the spring. I’ll be leaving Wednesday evening (a week from TODAY!) and returning on Monday. I can get by  with a small carryon bag. 

This may be hokey and touristy (OK, it IS), but I’ve never been to London before and may do one of those hop on/hop off loops around the city to get my bearings. Kind of take a quick lap to get acquainted.  We never did that for my first trips to Paris and Rome in the spring, and I kinda wish we had. Is that a horrible idea? 

It'll also be my first time and I'm totally going the tourist route. I'm planning on getting the 72 hr ticket to get around. It's cheaper than taking an uber or taxi.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.