London Updated

corta765

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. The only thing I'd say about Millwall is they are not the friendliest bunch and isnt the easiest place to get in and out of. But a decent standard. Depends a bit where you are staying. Are you near the Isle of Dogs?

Thanks

We’re staying up by Kensington but we’ve been to all the stadiums in the immediate area, so we were looking for a change of venue in and around London. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I've been to Millwall many times to watch my club (Brighton). It's not as intimidating as their old ground - we once knocked them out of the play offs and were kettled in the ground for over an hour after the game whilst the home fans battled it out with the local police force and started fires on the terracing. Nowadays it can still be a fairly primitive experience, but I quite enjoy the rawness of it all to be honest. The stand to the left of the away seating is a particular source of entertainment, with the local 'yoof' usually spending more time wildy gesticulating at the visiting fans than watching the game. I think they're due to play Hull on Oct 7th, who do have their fair share of troublemakers as well, but I wouldn't let that put you off. There's quite slim pickings for Premier League games around London that Saturday, with several matches being moved for TV or due to European fixtures the preceding midweek. I'm missing Brighton's game with Liverpool as it now coincides with the Bills game, which is pretty annoying. Fulham v Sheffield United would be the obvious one to go to, I guess. Not that I'd ever bring myself to recommend going to Selhurst, but Palace v Forest is an option - although it does have a later kick off time which would eat into your Saturday night.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

We’re staying up by Kensington but we’ve been to all the stadiums in the immediate area, so we were looking for a change of venue in and around London. 

Consider dinner at Churchill Arms in that area.

A bit touristy, but good Asian food in an old pub setting, which is a bit odd.

Wife loves it. Her favorited place.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, sherpa said:

Consider dinner at Churchill Arms in that area.

A bit touristy, but good Asian food in an old pub setting, which is a bit odd.

Wife loves it. Her favorited place.

Thanks! That’s right by where I’m staying. Looks like a cool place, but yes, the Asian twist is a bit unexpected based upon the classic Pub looks of the place. I’ll give it a go! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Thanks! That’s right by where I’m staying. Looks like a cool place, but yes, the Asian twist is a bit unexpected based upon the looks of the place. I’ll give it a go! 

The place is great. The Asian food is really good. The pub is great as well.

Big US airline crew spot, so the value is there.

Again, I always trust the wife, and she loves it.

Her favorite in London.

18 hours ago, sherpa said:

The place is great. The Asian food is really good. The pub is great as well.

Big US airline crew spot, so the value is there.

Again, I always trust the wife, and she loves it.

Her favorite in London.

That’s super close to our hotel and right behind the street with all the foreign embassy houses/mansions. If you’ve never walked down the embassy street….it’s kind of cool. Pub appears to feature Thai food, go figure. 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s super close to our hotel and right behind the street with all the foreign embassy houses/mansions. If you’ve never walked down the embassy street….it’s kind of cool. Pub appears to feature Thai food, go figure. 

Correct on all counts.

Been there many times, never disappointed, but they do hustle you out.

It's my wife's go to place, so that endorsement worked for me.

One word of caution; going up the "heat" scale on European food is a bit dangerous for US folks who ware used to more mild seasoning.

6 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Correct on all counts.

Been there many times, never disappointed, but they do hustle you out.

It's my wife's go to place, so that endorsement worked for me.

One word of caution; going up the "heat" scale on European food is a bit dangerous for US folks who ware used to more mild seasoning.

Maybe we’ll stick to Nandos. 😂 We love that chicken! 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

Count me in. Flying into Stanstead that day (staying, conveniently enough for the game, with my mum in Tottenham Hale) but should be able to be in town by 7-ish.

Excellent. I was thinking here - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d1735578-Reviews-or30-Eastern_Eye_Balti_House-London_England.html

Open to other suggestions 👍

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have no idea what any of that means but it sounds fun! 😉

Google translate - My associates and I will be participating in the very jolly exercise of eating Indian food in a restaurant on the well known London street of Brick Lane on the evening of the Saturday 7th October 2023. Those wishing to do the same will be made to feel most welcome. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, CNYfan said:

Just thought of this:

Is recreational marijuana legal in the UK?   

Are there dispensaries?

Thank you

Brittney Griner suggests playing by the rules.   😋

On 8/17/2023 at 1:29 PM, GunnerBill said:

I am sure you have seen but it has been moved to the Sunday 😔

Yes. I was shocked. 

I was under the presumption that the London police do not like conflicting events in proximity to each other.

I also am surprised that Kroenke would allow this to happen given that he also owns an NFL team (Rams) etc.

How is it that it took this long for the broadcaster to figure out that Arsenal v. Man City is a game that people might be interested in seeing . . . . 

In any event, I am planning on starting my day watching the Bills at the Spurs stadium wearing my Arsenal shirt and then going to the Arsenal game (hopefully the Bills are winning by a large margin so that I will not feel guilty leaving early if I decide to do so).

These are first world problems. Oh well.

Go Bills!!!

COYG!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yes. I was shocked. 

I was under the presumption that the London police do not like conflicting events in proximity to each other.

I also am surprised that Kroenke would allow this to happen given that he also owns an NFL team (Rams) etc.

How is it that it took this long for the broadcaster to figure out that Arsenal v. Man City is a game that people might be interested in seeing . . . . 

In any event, I am planning on starting my day watching the Bills at the Spurs stadium wearing my Arsenal shirt and then going to the Arsenal game (hopefully the Bills are winning by a large margin so that I will not feel guilty leaving early if I decide to do so).

These are first world problems. Oh well.

Go Bills!!!

COYG!!!

I thought the same about the police. Thought Arsenal - City was a banker for the 5.30pm Saturday slot. As for the broadcaster they do the games in blocks. So only about 6-8 weeks in advance. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I thought the same about the police. Thought Arsenal - City was a banker for the 5.30pm Saturday slot. As for the broadcaster they do the games in blocks. So only about 6-8 weeks in advance. 

Agreed.

I am not going to let this ruin my weekend.

With any luck, the Bills and Arsenal both win.

Now I have to figure out what to do on Saturday. I see that Fulham and Crystal Palace are both at home on Saturday. Have you been to either stadium?

P.S. I usually stay at a hotel in Paddington but they raised their rate to a ridiculous amount. I am staying at the Mondrian London Shoreditch. I have never been to Shoreditch. Any thoughts regarding that area of London?

1 hour ago, Peter said:

P.S. I usually stay at a hotel in Paddington but they raised their rate to a ridiculous amount. I am staying at the Mondrian London Shoreditch. I have never been to Shoreditch. Any thoughts regarding that area of London?

I just ran into the same thing earlier this month in London. West End hotel prices were ridiculous.

I enjoyed exploring a different part of London Spitalfields market is right there, and to be honest the energy of the newer/younger London has shifted east. Have fun!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I just ran into the same thing earlier this month in London. West End hotel prices were ridiculous.

I enjoyed exploring a different part of London Spitalfields market is right there, and to be honest the energy of the newer/younger London has shifted east. Have fun!

Thank you!

Bills Tickets secured.  AirBNB Updated and confirmed, Passports are in, Harry Potter Tour tickets booked, Paris Day Trip Booked, AC Adapters ordered. 

This has been a 3 month process of getting all the logistics together,

At this point, just need to plan out the non-agenda days, find the Bills backer area on Saturday and Sunday

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Bills Tickets secured.  AirBNB Updated and confirmed, Passports are in, Harry Potter Tour tickets booked, Paris Day Trip Booked, AC Adapters ordered. 

At this point, just need to plan out the non-agenda days, find the Bills backer area on Saturday and Sunday

You’re going to have a blast! If it’s anything like last time, this will be a great experience…win, lose, or draw. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/30/2023 at 1:14 AM, Virgil said:

You could always join us for a curry on Saturday (see @BritBill's post above

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CNYfan said:

BritBill should reserve the entire restaurant.  

Seriously, if anybody is wanting to join us please either reply to this or send me a message and I’ll do my best to get us booked in. Maybe, have a deadline to confirm of 30 September? 

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I know you can rent bikes around London.  Can kids rent bikes too?  I have 7 and 10 year olds with us 

No offense but have you been in London traffic? There’s not a chance in the world I’d have my kid ride a bike there. That’s especially true with the fact that they drive on the opposite side of the road. They literally paint which way to look on every street corner. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve seen a pedestrian step out into traffic because they were looking the wrong way. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

No offense but have you been in London traffic? There’s not a chance in the world I’d have my kid ride a bike there. That’s especially true with the fact that they drive on the opposite side of the road. They literally paint which way to look on every street corner. I cannot tell you how many times I’ve seen a pedestrian step out into traffic because they were looking the wrong way. 

Yup I love cycling but would not even consider bikes around London for my kids, who are a similar age. 

Walking and the Underground/tube/bus is the way to go. Its a great system. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GrimboG said:

Yup I love cycling but would not even consider bikes around London for my kids, who are a similar age. 

Walking and the Underground/tube/bus is the way to go. Its a great system. 

And to reinforce my earlier comment….if any of you are taking kids to London, please be SUPER careful with them at all pedestrian crossings. (Strongly consider holding their hand….even if they resist.) You don’t realize how our brains have been trained to look in the opposite direction for oncoming traffic. It can be VERY dangerous. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Game tickets have been coming available on Ticketmaster a fair bit over the last few days. 

Also, loads keep being made available on the Facebook sales group I mentioned earlier in the thread. 

After Monday’s performance prices are going to be dropping like a stone. 😉 (I was going to make a ‘giveaway’ joke but it may be too soon following four turnovers.)

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I haven't seen them on ticketmaster. You got a link?

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/nfl-tottenham

They’ve been going on around midday the last few days apparently. 

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

After Monday’s performance prices are going to be dropping like a stone. 😉 (I was going to make a ‘giveaway’ joke but it may be too soon following four turnovers.)

Never too soon for a joke. Allen treated us a performance of one Monday night. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.