NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

4 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

I put that in the same category as the people who want to do things like trade Oliver.  I'm not against the idea, but what teams are jumping at the chance to trade for an undersized DT who's been underperforming and is owed $11 million bucks this year?  They make it sound like it's a simple task and they don't know what Beane is waiting for.  SMH.

Underperforming relative to a top 10 pick expectations, sure. Underperforming relative to DTs in the NFL? No. But that is the point on an Ed for picks trade that I have made since the season ended. There is no way you are going to get the value for the player you lost. On a one year, $11m contract Ed's likely trade value is somewhere around 4th round. His play for the Bills on the field is considerably above 4th round value. You couldn't take a 4th round DT out of this draft and expect them to perform as Ed has the last two years especially (when fully healthy). So it makes no sense. The ONLY trade of Ed that ever made sense was a player for player trade (you might throw a day 3 pick in with it) with a team seeking to give away an offensive guy they are moving on from. Hopkins and Evans were the two that looked feasible but it appears both are staying put. Definitely not a simple task. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

26 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Would not be at all surprised by Bresee or Mazi (Star) Smith.

They simply do not trust their ability to evaluate talent on offense.

That's a slight problem. Maybe they should bring in some new evaluators.

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I've developed this fantasy in my head of the Bills drafting Bryan Bresee or Mazi Smith at pick 27, then immediately trading away Oliver and trading for DeAndre Hopkins. In one fell swoop we free up $10.7 million so that Hopkins becomes affordable and draft Oliver's replacement. Defense gets marginally worse but cheaper, and the offense gets a high impact player. I'd take that outcome right now if I could.

So far 20 of our top 30 visits have been reported. Mazi Smith is on that list, Bresee is not. I won't believe Bresee is a possible pick until I know he was a top 30 visit. But he fits a lot of traits McDermott would like - high athletic upside, former #1 college recruit, faced a ton of adversity over the past year (he suffered multiple injuries including a kidney infection, and his sister sadly died of brain cancer). I've been thinking in the back of my mind that Bresee could be the stealth pick no one sees coming. That's what Elam was last year and his top 30 visit wasn't reported until very close to the draft.

This is a good post....and while I would be upset at first with a DT pick at 27, I'd be good with it.....if the rest of your fantasy happened. 

8 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm not crazy about Darnell Wright, but I would take him. Paris Johnson definitely gone, Broderick Jones as well. At WR, JSN, Addison, and Johnston who is risky are the only true first round considerations. I don't like JSN's hammy issues. I think Addison is gone early. Maybe Johnston slides. Hyatt is strictly a second rounder for me. I like Kincaid a lot. He'll go before 27, so where do you go for impactful offensive players in the first? Maybe they take John Michael Schmitz early. I would prefer Darnell Washington if they reach a bit.

Not even considering RB. Those folks are almost as irrational as the Campbellites.

Normally I'd agree.  However, if Robinson is there at 27, he's going to be easily the highest ranked player on the Bills board. 
Instant offensive impact. Cook and Harris are good backs, but defenses aren't scared of them.  They will be of Robinson.
His measurements and athletic testing are basically identical to LaDainian Tomlinson. 

Trade up in the 2nd for Washington.  Trade for Hopkins.   

Suddenly.... you have added significant weapons at every skill position on offense.

RB Robinson

TE Washington

WR Hopkins 

It's very unlikely, but it would be massive for the Bills 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Normally I'd agree.  However, if Robinson is there at 27, he's going to be easily the highest ranked player on the Bills board. 
Instant offensive impact. Cook and Harris are good backs, but defenses aren't scared of them.  They will be of Robinson.
His measurements and athletic testing are basically identical to LaDainian Tomlinson. 

Suddenly.... you have added significant weapons at every skill position on offense.

RB Robinson

TE Washington

WR Hopkins 

Except your OL is still pretty much the same as last year…swapping out Saffold for McGovern.   

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Would not be at all surprised by Bresee or Mazi (Star) Smith.

They simply do not trust their ability to evaluate talent on offense.

Their ability at evaluating talent on defense in the draft isn't exactly encouraging either.

Oliver - has not lived up to 1st round pick
Epenesa - they asked him to drop a bunch of weight, why?  He's been mostly disappointing. Somehow managed 6.5 sacks last year
Basham - Not sure where he fits on this team. I want to like him. 
Rousseau - This does look to be a strong pick. May develop into a consistent 10 + sacks player 

Elam - Staff does not like playing rookies. He finished strong. Could be very good 
Benford - Solid pick in the late rounds. Versatile. Ball skills. 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Their ability at evaluating talent on defense in the draft isn't exactly encouraging either.

Epenesa - they asked him to drop a bunch of weight, why?  He's been mostly disappointing. Somehow managed 6.5 sacks last year
Rousseau - This does look to be a strong pick. May develop into a consistent 10 + sacks player 

Elam - Staff does not like playing rookies. He finished strong. Could be very good 

At least on D, their misses tend to be mediocre and not complete whiffs.

29 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

RB Robinson

TE Washington

WR Hopkins 

I think Robinson goes before 27. It is still too much expenditure at the position. The running back room is pretty good, imo. Dorsey needs to use Cook and Hines ability to catch passes and generally call a better game. You probably do need to move Oliver to get the cap room to acquire Hopkins, so then you would probably see a high pick DT to replace him. @HappyDays wrote up this scenario. (They might go DT early regardless.)

Edited by Dr. Who

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I think we need to find a way to deal our 2nd round pick, or just skip altogether. We seem to get lost.

Zay Jones

Cody Ford

Epenesa

Basham

• Like (+1) 1

49ers taking calls on potential trades for Trey Lance. 

Ian Rapoport on Twitter: "Sources: The #49ers have received inquiries from several teams looking into a potential trade for former No. 3 pick QB Trey Lance. The conversations have been the result of SF fielding the calls, not making them, with teams aware that Brock Purdy is likely the future starter. https://t.co/ddOZjZq5Xn" / Twitter

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

RB Robinson

TE Washington

WR Hopkins 

I have a feeling that Washington is a real consideration at 27...and I would not be against it.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Gregg said:

49ers taking calls on potential trades for Trey Lance. 

Ian Rapoport on Twitter: "Sources: The #49ers have received inquiries from several teams looking into a potential trade for former No. 3 pick QB Trey Lance. The conversations have been the result of SF fielding the calls, not making them, with teams aware that Brock Purdy is likely the future starter. https://t.co/ddOZjZq5Xn" / Twitter

Fascinating. Maybe Houston, which could then focus on adding pieces with its two first-round picks? Lance is not going to beat out Purdy, and Darnold is a better #2 than Lance as well. That's not to say that Lance doesn't have upside. I just don't see a place for him there given how good Purdy was (and Purdy's elbow is going to be fine, btw -- that's a surgery that medicine has fully mastered) and the fact that Darnold is one of the league's higher-level #2s (Darnold played fairly well last season). A #3 overall pick as a third stringer? I don't see that happening. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Fascinating. Maybe Houston, which could then focus on adding pieces with its two first-round picks? Lance is not going to beat out Purdy, and Darnold is a better #2 than Lance as well. That's not to say that Lance doesn't have upside. I just don't see a place for him there given how good Purdy was (and Purdy's elbow is going to be fine, btw -- that's a surgery that medicine has fully mastered) and the fact that Darnold is one of the league's higher-level #2s (Darnold played fairly well last season). A #3 overall pick as a third stringer? I don't see that happening. 

Perfect fit with Ryan’s as the HC. The question is, what do you trade for a QB that hasn’t really played extensively in 4 years?  

They can start him all year, lose a ton of games and draft a real QB next year. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Perfect fit with Ryan’s as the HC. The question is, what do you trade for a QB that hasn’t really played extensively in 4 years?  

They can start him all year, lose a ton of games and draft a real QB next year. 

Third round pick, maybe.  Late second, at most.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Third round pick, maybe.  Late second, at most.

Yeah, for houston, a 3rd is basically a late 2nd. 

As a guy that follows the niners more than most, I wouldn’t trade anything more than a 4th and another late pick for him.  They’d be better off trading 2023 picks for 2024 picks and drafting a real QB next year.  Williams and Maye, right now, are much more nfl ready than Lance will ever be. Can’t replace experience and a Lance has none.  No experience.  No reps.  No production.  No nothing.  Not entirely his fault, but that’s the sitch.  

jmo

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, for houston, a 3rd is basically a late 2nd. 

As a guy that follows the niners more than most, I wouldn’t trade anything more than a 4th and another late pick for him.  They’d be better off trading 2023 picks for 2024 picks and drafting a real QB next year.  Williams and Maye, right now, are much more nfl ready than Lance will ever be. Can’t replace experience and a Lance has none.  No experience.  No reps.  No production.  No nothing.  Not entirely his fault, but that’s the sitch.  

jmo

What a horrible trade/draft pick for the 49ers, and yet, if Purdy turns into something better than Jimmy G, it will be a wash…

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

What a horrible trade/draft pick for the 49ers, and yet, if Purdy turns into something better than Jimmy G, it will be a wash…

A lot of QBs bust. Better to roll the dice than not if you truly believe, I think. They've certainly weathered the storm, though - their roster is terrific overall. I believe they would have beaten the Eagles if Purdy hadn't gotten hurt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.