What is the plan at DT?

Matt_In_NH

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

There are all sorts of guys they can replace him with.  You don't have to believe me, just wait a while.

Our defense will miraculously look about the same with someone else in Edmunds' place.

To your point we played McDermotts first year with Preston Brown at MLB and made the playoffs.  They can play defense without Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Somehow managed to post this under the Cheatriots dynasty thread... was multi-tasking - poorly.

The Bills do need to get a bit bigger and stronger especially at the 1-tech position to have an effective rotation and depth.

There are more than a few 1-techs in the draft that can at least anchor if not get push or even better if a prospect can force some double-teams.

There should be some prospects available in the later rounds without reaching and probably will have more promise than what we saw from Settle...

Would be a good investment as the light, quick, DTs we have in abundance get blown off the ball if we don't have that other guy.

Those speedy DTs work fine and can be disruptive when teams are forced to play catch-up and they can tee off on their pass rush.

However, when the opposing team is leading or hanging with us and committed to mixing in runs, they can be a liability getting pushed around and allowing blockers to get to the 2nd level.

As we saw when Jones went down during the Bengals game it had a domino effect on our D once we lost in the trenches.

I would not mind if Beane went LB or OL early. I will pretty much be fine with most picks as long as they don't draft a tiny DT or DE with years needed to be good enough to make a limited rotational role.

I do feel Groot is on his way to becoming a very good DE, so not entirely dumping on our talent evaluators.

I would trade Oliver & use the draft pick to draft his replacement, move Basham inside next year, and re-sign Jordan Phillips to hopefully a cheap contract.  I understand Oliver is probably only worth a later round pick, but you can get a big DT in the later rounds and we would be looking for someone to compete with Basham for the 4th DT spot.  Jones/Phillips/Settle/Basham/draft pick.  Saves hopefully ~$7-8 million against the cap compared to our current line.  

Draft another DT in the 2nd or 3rd next year and hopefully extend/re-sign Jones.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

I would trade Oliver & use the draft pick to draft his replacement, move Basham inside next year, and re-sign Jordan Phillips to hopefully a cheap contract.  I understand Oliver is probably only worth a later round pick, but you can get a big DT in the later rounds and we would be looking for someone to compete with Basham for the 4th DT spot.  Jones/Phillips/Settle/Basham/draft pick.  Saves hopefully ~$7-8 million against the cap compared to our current line.  

Draft another DT in the 2nd or 3rd next year and hopefully extend/re-sign Jones.

Agree, the Oliver era is over. Find another big 320# DT to compliment Daquan.  If you can get a 3rd/4th and get rid of that 10M, do it in a heartbeat. I don't see any place for Basham on this team. Not big enough to be a DT and zero moves to be a DE.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

It’s probably going to be a lower draft pick

I would hope that we were draft his replacement a little higher than that

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Agree, the Oliver era is over. Find another big 320# DT to compliment Daquan.  If you can get a 3rd/4th and get rid of that 10M, do it in a heartbeat. I don't see any place for Basham on this team. Not big enough to be a DT and zero moves to be a DE.

Completely agree.  Given the current limited resources I would be ok with Basham competing with a rookie for playing time as DT #4 for a year.  I don't see him being a part of the long term plan unless some kind of light switch goes off for him..  The back-up DT position would be a work in progress a little but in exchange my hope would be that the cap savings could be enough to re-sign Micah Hyde next year when the Bills are up against even tougher cap constraints than they were this year.  

15 hours ago, harmonkillebrew said:

J-Phillips should be back, I'd think.  

He didn't have the best year but gutted it out through a few injuries.

I'd like to see him and Shaq back.   

The problem with Phillips is, he can’t appear to stay healthy. We can’t rely on him in anything other than a strict rotation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Draft a big DT in the mid rounds. 325+
bring in a few UDFA big bodies and hope you strike gold

besides Ford, unaware of who else is out there. Any big veterans for cheap works.

DaQuan

Draft Pick

Settle

UFA/UDFA

if Phillips will re-sign cheap then sure!

Edited by Warriorspikes51

11 hours ago, Chaos said:

Every position on an NFL team is important.  But other than Aaron Donald, is there a single DT in the NFL, that in the week leading up to playing that team fans (or coaches) are discussing "how are we going to handle that guy"?

Yes, absolutely.

Guys like Fletcher Cox, Chris Jones, Quinnen Williams, Jeffery Simmons and Dexter Lawrence. It appears likely that two or three DTs are going to get contracts somewhere in the neighborhood of $25M next offseason. And there's a reason for that. They're worth it for the havoc they cause. 

Hargrave got $21M/ year. He's worth it too.

Guys like that give coaches sleepless nights.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 hours ago, mrags said:

Technically he’s not wrong. Things have never gone our way. He’s just being realistic. 

but honestly, I couldn’t remember a single post anyone here makes. I have a memory for this place like 10 second Tom. Once I move on down the screen it’s already a distant memory. That goes for who posts what too. It takes a lot for me to remember any of you on here. 

Again, an objective critique is different from a decade plus of constant whining, he is like the Peanuts character “pig pen” there is a dark cloud of dismal surrounding him everywhere he goes. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I read many of you saying they should trade Oliver because they already know they’re not retaining him next year. Makes sense. Was the same true with Edmunds? Or do you believe they thought they had a shot of keeping him? 

Little bit of both, Edmunds meant more to this defense. 

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Little bit of both, Edmunds meant more to this defense. 

Thanks. I guess it’s settled then. It has to be LB in Round One. 

I personally believe they’re going to ride with Oliver in 2023. Way too many holes to fix everything and I doubt they’re in the posit to eat much if any of his salary. 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks. I guess it’s settled then. It has to be LB in Round One. 

I personally believe they’re going to ride with Oliver in 2023. Way too many holes to fix everything and I doubt they’re in the posit to eat much if any of his salary. 

I think they do too, unless someone offers something crazy in a trade. 

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I think they do too, unless someone offers something crazy in a trade. 

I just saw a nice mock draft in one of the other threads where the Bills take a RT in Round 1 and then the Iowa LB in Round 2. Beane’s going to need balls of steel to bypass LB and sweat it out hoping his guy is still there at Pick 59…or risk having literally nobody at MLB. It’ll be interesting for sure! 

11 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

To your point we played McDermotts first year with Preston Brown at MLB and made the playoffs.  They can play defense without Edmunds.

Yes, we made the playoffs with Preston Brown at MLB. We went 9-7. That doesn't mean we played defense tremendously well.

We were the 26th ranked defense, 18th in scoring allowed. They weren't awful by any means. They were better than the offense, but still not all that good.

22 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I just saw a nice mock draft in one of the other threads where the Bills take a RT in Round 1 and then the Iowa LB in Round 2. Beane’s going to need balls of steel to bypass LB and sweat it out hoping his guy is still there at Pick 59…or risk having literally nobody at MLB. It’ll be interesting for sure! 

I think you may be right but at the same time the LBs in this draft are all undersized. Campbell is not and Sewell is not. Sewell could probably be had ir rd3 or later. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.