What is the plan at DT?

Matt_In_NH

3 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Bills have D Jones, Oliver and Settle all in their final year.   Then they have a bunch of practice squad guys.  So not one guy under contract for 2024.   I don't hear a lot about DT as a need position, it is.  They should be looking in the draft to get younger, they should extend Daquon Jones if they can work that out.  Thoughts?

DT in Rd 1.  This place will go thermonuclear for sure.  

Seriously this could be a double up year in our draft where Bills take a 1 and a 3 technique if no one is signed in FA.  Not a good year for DT though so can see Poona Ford or another FA being signed before draft.  

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Just terrible considering all the money and resources they throw at it the last few years. Multiple 2nd round picks, a 1st rd pick, and a 100m+ FA. And we’re still looking. 

I’ve settled on bad luck. They’re mid to late second rd picks. And late first . They just aren’t difference makers in nfl. Wish it was a second rd hit like a miss st DT named Chris jones. 

Von was killing it until injury on bad turf 

only one I really blame beane for is Oliver. Dude was undersized and played at a middling conf. Never was dominant or productive in college. That was a bad pick. Especially at the pedigree and traits of players taken after him 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

DL is ALWAYS a need, for every team. Filling four spots plus depth for more than one year at a time is impossible. Nobody should be surprised if Beane drafts DL early again. It has the highest potential production to rookie contract value other than QB. Just because Epenesa and Basham were bad picks and Oliver has been underwhelming doesn't mean you stop going back to that well.

You can't ignore the offense year after year if you keep missing on those picks.

This isn't the year for it.

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

You can't ignore the offense year after year if you keep missing on those picks.

Normally I agree. Comment is on point before last years draft. But this year - reality :  They have NO one under contract next year at DT. NO youth. NO future. And for the entire DL - it’s groot as the only average to above average starter w years ahead of him . 

Edited by balln

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

I would like them to acquire Jeudy, Hopkins, or OBJ, and then they can draft whoever they feel is the BPA at each pick. OL I would like them to spend more day two and three picks there. But in round one nobody should be surprised if we take another front 7 player. That's seemingly where the value will be at our spot and our pass rush was abysmal down the stretch last year.

25 minutes ago, balln said:

Normally I agree. Comment is on point before last years draft. But this year - reality :  They have NO one under contract next year at DT. NO youth. NO future. And for the entire DL - it’s groot as the only average to above average starter w years ahead of him . 

And here's the problem with bringing beane back for another go at it. do we trust the guy who's failed pretty miserably at it to do the same thing again?

27 minutes ago, balln said:

I’ve settled on bad luck. They’re mid to late second rd picks. And late first . They just aren’t difference makers in nfl. Wish it was a second rd hit like a miss st DT named Chris jones. 

Von was killing it until injury on bad turf 

only one I really blame beane for is Oliver. Dude was undersized and played at a middling conf. Never was dominant or productive in college. That was a bad pick. Especially at the pedigree and traits of players taken after him 

I hated the Oliver pick before it even happened. When people were comparing him to Donald pre draft. He’s nothing like Donald. Never was. Looking at the 2 side by side it’s like looking at a man and a teenager stand next to one another. 

bad luck is great to claim until it’s not a coincidence anymore. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The Bills have D Jones, Oliver and Settle all in their final year.   Then they have a bunch of practice squad guys.  So not one guy under contract for 2024.   I don't hear a lot about DT as a need position, it is.  They should be looking in the draft to get younger, they should extend Daquon Jones if they can work that out.  Thoughts?

I'd say the draft is looking good in the 4th through 6th round to address this need.  I like the two top DT/NT prospects from Texas this year.  

Ojomo and Coburn

3 minutes ago, mrags said:

I hated the Oliver pick before it even happened. When people were comparing him to Donald pre draft. He’s nothing like Donald. Never was. Looking at the 2 side by side it’s like looking at a man and a teenager stand next to one another. 

bad luck is great to claim until it’s not a coincidence anymore. 

I know that mock drafts don't do a good job of predicting exactly what each team will do, but they do give you a good sense of what the consensus of players' values are going into the draft. Every mock draft in 2019 had Ed Oliver going in the top 10, with most having him going in the top 5. Here they all are: https://www.google.com/search?q=2019+nfl+mock+draft&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS969US969&oq=2019+NFL+Mock+Draft&aqs=chrome.0.35i39j0i512l4j0i22i30l2j0i15i22i30j0i22i30l2.6997j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

I know that mock drafts don't do a good job of predicting exactly what each team will do, but they do give you a good sense of what the consensus of players' values are going into the draft. Every mock draft in 2019 had Ed Oliver going in the top 10, with most having him going in the top 5. Here they all are: https://www.google.com/search?q=2019+nfl+mock+draft&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS969US969&oq=2019+NFL+Mock+Draft&aqs=chrome.0.35i39j0i512l4j0i22i30l2j0i15i22i30j0i22i30l2.6997j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I remember quite well what people were saying about Oliver. I never believed any of it from the start. 

I only accepted the pick after it was made and hoped that the Bills would bring something out of him that I didn’t see. I was proven right (at least to me) when he’s never accomplished much of anything. Now everyone here, even people that loved him from the start, are saying he needs to go, should be traded, or can’t wait until we don’t have his ridiculous contract on the books anymore. 

im not by any means correct about everything. But I saw it from the start he was just too undersized for the position. Maybe they should try and move him to DE since we have such a hike there also. 

51 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

DL is ALWAYS a need, for every team. Filling four spots plus depth for more than one year at a time is impossible. Nobody should be surprised if Beane drafts DL early again. It has the highest potential production to rookie contract value other than QB. Just because Epenesa and Basham were bad picks and Oliver has been underwhelming doesn't mean you stop going back to that well.

Im not saying you stop and I wouldn’t be surprised if we go DL early. The reality is that we’ve invested tens of millions in free agency, drafted guys in the 1st and 2nd rounds and outside of Von there isn’t a single impact player on the DL. That’s really the biggest issue. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Three options

1. Trade Oliver for a 2nd and draft another DT. They don't have the draft capital to spend on a DT at this point.

2. Sign Wagner to play MLB. Keep Oliver on the 5th year. Burn one of your draft picks on a DT.

3. Assuming no veteran MLB is signed, bring back Phillips or some other journeyman for the 4th DT and let Oliver play out his contract like they did with Edmunds. Draft a LB this year to replace Edmunds and draft DT in 2024. Only one of the first 4 picks should be used for defense.

3b. Trade out of the first round and get two day 2 picks. This allows you to get MLB, DT, WR, OT, C/G  in the first four rounds in no particular order.

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yep…I read it. The Bills will rebuild the DT position in free agency and the draft, NEXT year. They’re going to sit tight THIS year. Too many holes to fill this year to dwell on next year’s problems. 

I think they need to start this year and not have completely bare cupboards.   Keep in mind Phillips is gone and right now there is no replacement.   I think they can extend Jones, draft a guy this year.   And then draft/FA again next year.

2 hours ago, Yantha said:

I'd say the draft is looking good in the 4th through 6th round to address this need.  I like the two top DT/NT prospects from Texas this year.  

Ojomo and Coburn

I like the Ojomo fella. I remember seeing a few Longhorn games and he stood out, plus on the pff mock simulator, you can always get him way past his projected value:P

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.