SVB Bank.

10 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

The problem, apparently, is that they bought long-term debt that lost value and they couldn't get out of without taking a huge loss. Kind of like "Oh, we're sure interest rates will remain at 0% for the next 10 years, so we should base our risk analysis around that and make lots of money". What could go wrong?

No schitt dummass, they are all corrupt. Plenty of greedy blame to go around.

This is rich vs. poor, not left vs. right.

Thanks Gene….this is my understanding of what happened as well. There are/were always bound to be all sorts of ‘reactions’ to the Fed raising rates so aggressively. As we all learned in school, every action creates an equal and opposite reaction.

And I couldn’t agree more on your final sentence except I categorize it as Inside vs Outside, rather than Rich vs Poor. The Rich aren’t competing with the Poor. They don’t even give them a second’s thought.  It’s why I laugh at those…insert your favorite poster here…who stick to some old two party line nonsense. Or lazily toss the word Cult around. 👍

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

over his lifetime?  what's that average per year.  Now do McCarthy or McConnell.  What is it with the Mc's?.

Thats a false dichotomy. those two sucks. But has nothing to do with the fact he does take lobby money, when you said he didnt.

And on a side note, dude has never actually worked. just says the same thing and has made a nice living off that stick.

6 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

over his lifetime?  what's that average per year.  Now do McCarthy or McConnell.  What is it with the Mc's?.

Hey! Leave Coach out if this. I’m sure he had almost nothing to do with the collapse of that bank. Unless it took thirteen seconds, of course. 😉

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks Gene….this is my understanding of what happened as well. There are/were always bound to be all sorts of ‘reactions’ to the Fed raising rates so aggressively. As we all learned in school, every action creates an equal and opposite reaction.

And I couldn’t agree more on your final sentence except I categorize it as Inside vs Outside, rather than Rich vs Poor. The Rich aren’t competing with the Poor. They don’t even give them a second’s thought.  It’s why I laugh at those…insert your favorite poster here…who stick to some old two party line nonsense. Or lazily toss the word Cult around. 👍

And right now there are voices and reporting on why the fed needs to stop raising rates, for just that reason.  Its NUTZ

ignoring the reasoning behind why rates are rising.

I guess the choice is Bank runs and recession or runaway inflation.

Good times.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

lesser of evils

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

They don’t even give them a second’s thought.

which one gives it more milliseconds, the Koch's or George Soros?

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

lesser of evils

And here you are right back to the Party Line. One day you’ll figure out that NONE of these people give a rats arse about you. It doesn’t make them evil. It makes them human. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

And here you are right back to the Party Line. One day you’ll figure out that NONE of these people give a rats arse about you. It doesn’t make them evil. It makes them human. 

Im like "the two are the same"

like that comic strip where you find what's different. but both pictures are exactly the same.

10 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

Looks like the street isn't overly concerned:  https://finance.yahoo.com

1% up tomorrow would be great.  Certainly things can change and if I had a crystal ball it would be on my yacht (I did have a fishing kayak once- sold it- too unstable).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/03/12/stock-market-futures-open-to-close-news.html

3 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Im like "the two are the same"

like that comic strip where you find what's different. but both pictures are exactly the same.

I’m not sure why people believe these ultra rich folks are the slightest bit worried about them. They aren’t! Just like you, me, and everyone else they are living their own lives trying to get ahead in the world…and yes even when they’re already what we would consider ‘ahead’. Sure, they talk a good story from time to time in order to placate their egos, score points in their social circles, and get people outside their circle to think they care, but is that really so different from EVERYONE else? I think not. No matter how much money I’ve made or had at different phases of my life I have never given Bill Gates, Elon, Soros, or any of the rest of them much thought. And they give way less to me.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I also agree with Gene that SIVB, which for some unknown reason, was buying the long end of the credit market but as the smoke clears I expect we'll find out they've also employed a lot of leverage.  Puts and Calls, Futures, Derivatives, all on top of a fractional reserve banking system.  Leverage can compound gains to many multiples but it also has the potential to multiply losses on the way down.  My guess is that's what went on here. 

The fact they employed a clearly losing strategy of going long with lots of leverage in the face of rising rates when the Fed gave no clear signal or statement they were contemplating reversing course or standing pat is incredibly stupid.  

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Gene Frenkle said:

I mean, they weren't very smart with their money, I guess. Still, Forbes just named SVB the best bank in the country for 2023, so how does one safely navigate this mess? This is 100% on our overleveraged banking system and they deserve to fail and likely see prison time for some of it. People/companies banking with them are mostly just collateral damage.

correct, this is Leftist entrenched Dems and then Biden, simple as that

• Thank you (+1) 2

18 hours ago, aristocrat said:

If you think the fed is gonna let them fail you’re crazy 

You'd like it if they just let the system go to hell, wouldn't you? 

23 minutes ago, B-Man said:

JOEL KOTKIN: 

The SVB collapse marks the end of the Silicon Valley era: The Bay Area is no longer brimming with innovative startups and entrepreneurs.

https://unherd.com/thepost/svbs-collapse-marks-the-end-of-the-silicon-valley-era/

Get woke, go broke.

Ya, this is the end! 

Seriously! 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ya, this is the end! 

Seriously! 

They voted for this ass clown. That's capitalism baby. If their companies are worth anything someone will buy them. You didn't like covid bailouts why change your mind now?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, redtail hawk said:

lesser of evils

Yesterday you made sure to highlight that Barney Frank was a “non-employee” of the troubled bank but did not care to mention that the same article referred to him pulling in 1M from that bank in a three year period. Why did you see the first point as relevant but not the second? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ya, this is the end! 

Seriously! 

Welp. if the goal of the company is to make profits and stay in business. one does not invest in BS that has no return while having a very negative balance sheet.

All while ignoring the markets and FED statements and actions about raising rates.

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

damn right what?

Capitalism baby! 

Just now, Chris farley said:

Welp. if the goal of the company is to make profits and stay in business. one does not invest in BS that has no return while having a very negative balance sheet.

All while ignoring the markets and FED statements and actions about raising rates.

Yes, they screwed up 

• Eyeroll 1

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ya, this is the end! 

Seriously! 

I wouldn't count Yellen and Powell out just yet.  Various Fed and Treasury Department officials have succeeded in holding together the financial system with some glue and rubber bands for the last 15 years so I expect they can keep the financial system together a bit longer.  My read of the markets this morning is an expectation something is seriously broken, but the Fed will stop raising rates or cut, and some huge amount of liquidity is going to be injected into the banking system and the markets.  If all this happens the US dollar might be the loser here along with anyone that gets paid in dollars or has assets denominated in dollars. 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Capitalism baby! 

Yes, they screwed up 

Guessing the heads of all the rest of these banks and companies with silly spending on green carbon capture credits, Paris accord, social justice/inclusion high paid divisions might be seeing that writing on the wall.

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Guessing the heads of all the rest of these banks and companies with silly spending on green carbon capture credits, Paris accord, social justice/inclusion high paid divisions might be seeing that writing on the wall.

Don’t know why they would since that had nothing to do with the current problems. 

Over investing in long term government bonds in the face of rising interest rates as well as investing heavily in crypto isn’t social justice as far as I’m aware. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Chris farley said:

And right now there are voices and reporting on why the fed needs to stop raising rates, for just that reason.  Its NUTZ

ignoring the reasoning behind why rates are rising.

I guess the choice is Bank runs and recession or runaway inflation.

Good times.

True.

And that's why we find ourselves in this situation where a "return to normalcy" -- interest rates in the traditional stable economy range (where they were headed), inflation also in the post-Volcker range -- seems to be impossible. The slightest hint of actual harm -- a weird bank with a weird depositor base failed! -- and the overreaction will bring us back to zero interest rates and another cycle of inflation, and another world (which many people want!) in which There Is No Alternative (TINA) to the stock market, and another stock market bubble, and another ... and so on and so on.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have never given Bill Gates, Elon, Soros, or any of the rest of them much thought. And they give way less to me.

I don't know much about the philanthropy of the others but Bill Gates matches Rotary donations for Polio eradication and it's a tidy sum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation

https://ridistrict6290.org/stories/why-bill-gates-partner-with-rotary

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), a merging of the William H. Gates Foundation and the Gates Learning Foundation,[6] is an American private foundation founded by Bill Gates and Melinda French Gates. Based in Seattle, Washington, it was launched in 2000 and is reported as of 2020 to be the second largest charitable foundation in the world,[7][8] holding $49.8 billion in assets.

When former President Trump threatened to defund the WHO in summer 2020 over concerns that it was too "deferential" to the Chinese Communist Party, because the BMGF constituted at that time the second-ranked contributor to the WHO, concerns were raised in the charity and academic sector that the BMGF might conceivably bias the WHO in the pursuit of its ideology. In the most timely accounting period, the BMGF provided 45% of the WHO's NGO funds, or in other words 12% of the total operating expenditure of the WHO.[36][37]

It was revealed after the fact that the BMGF had contributed US$1.553 billion to the GAVI over the five years 2016 to 2020. The BMGF was the number two ranked contributor.[38] At the Global Vaccine Summit in June 2020, the BMGF pledged $1.6 billion (or just under 20% of the total) for the subsequent five years

Good people that care do exist.  Unfortunately, those that don't almost cancel them out.

Edited by redtail hawk

23 hours ago, Unforgiven said:

The beginning of the next great depression, or another govt bailout. This is serious business.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/10/silicon-valley-bank-collapse-how-it-happened.html

Interesting read on what the people who ran the bank were fixated on, no surprise.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zerohedge.com%2Fnews%2F2023-03-10%2Flulz-svb-website

So then what your saying is that those in the know really don't know what they think they know  🤔 !! 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chris farley said:

48 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Don’t know why they would since that had nothing to do with the current problems. 

Over investing in long term government bonds in the face of rising interest rates as well as investing heavily in crypto isn’t social justice as far as I’m aware. 

my read is inflation’s devastating impact to the tech sector particularly with net inflows switching to net outflows (venture cus switched to cash burning)  almost overnight, then word of selling off some assets at a loss leaked to social media and once word got out there was a run on the bank, some 42billion in asset withdrawals. 

While it’s clear risk management problems are there, it’s the type of organic inflation we are still seeing, exacerbated by inflationary energy and fiscal policy, that is going to of course obliterated the speculative sector further. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Part of the problem is they know they'll get away with it and profit handsomely along the way.  Reminds me of trump...

Or Barney Frank. You know, the guy that made 1M over three years from the failing bank as a “non-employee”. Maybe you saw the story. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Part of the problem is they know they'll get away with it and profit handsomely along the way.  Reminds me of trump...

Reminds me of ALL politicians if we in any way think they are truly doing the job of & for the people we are foolish ! If you wonder why so many in politics wind up being multi millionaires when (& i say this because of what i make) only making $400k a year & less makes me wonder how they get to that type of income .

Pelosi & others know just how to do some insider trading you think because there's not many looking towards her wisdom !! 

Sure ex POTUS get paid to speak after their runs are over but i again would bet that if we only knew the amounts of money that comes in the back door of the US gov't well no one would care as long as they get their entitlements .

But that's why there are Lobbiest/bribary consultants that get paid millions for the things they push for because its all about the money & it's more than just Trump if you think not than your more foolish than you know . 

It's just that Trump is also a business man which involves the savvy of being a BS artist to begin with so everyone pushes that to the fore front politicians are just full of S**T too ...

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

I don't know much about the philanthropy of the others but Bill Gates matches Rotary donations for Polio eradication and it's a tidy sum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_Melinda_Gates_Foundation

https://ridistrict6290.org/stories/why-bill-gates-partner-with-rotary

The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), a merging of the William H. Gates Foundation and the Gates Learning Foundation,[6] is an American private foundation founded by Bill Gates and Melinda French Gates. Based in Seattle, Washington, it was launched in 2000 and is reported as of 2020 to be the second largest charitable foundation in the world,[7][8] holding $49.8 billion in assets.

When former President Trump threatened to defund the WHO in summer 2020 over concerns that it was too "deferential" to the Chinese Communist Party, because the BMGF constituted at that time the second-ranked contributor to the WHO, concerns were raised in the charity and academic sector that the BMGF might conceivably bias the WHO in the pursuit of its ideology. In the most timely accounting period, the BMGF provided 45% of the WHO's NGO funds, or in other words 12% of the total operating expenditure of the WHO.[36][37]

It was revealed after the fact that the BMGF had contributed US$1.553 billion to the GAVI over the five years 2016 to 2020. The BMGF was the number two ranked contributor.[38] At the Global Vaccine Summit in June 2020, the BMGF pledged $1.6 billion (or just under 20% of the total) for the subsequent five years

Good people that care do exist.  Unfortunately, those that don't almost cancel them out.

Of course good people exist. They exist everywhere and in ALL economic sectors. Gates makes the news because of the size of his philanthropic contributions. That however doesn’t make him any better than the poor woman who puts a quarter in the basket. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Or Barney Frank. You know, the guy that made 1M over three years from the failing bank as a “non-employee”. Maybe you saw the story. 

Yep, on the board.

Well At least he seemingly earned his way into politics and the power he achieved the old fashioned way, well before his sexuality would have been deemed not only an asset but a job prerequisite. 

ahh the good old days. 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

I'm pleased you read the entire article.  Was that your virgin voyage into completeness?  The article was always there and available for review.

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Of course good people exist. They exist everywhere and in ALL economic sectors. Gates makes the news because of the size of his philanthropic contributions. That however doesn’t make him any better than the poor woman who puts a quarter in the basket. 

uh huh....but we were talking about billionaires not giving a crap about anyone.  Gates cares a lot and backs it up with his wallet

Edited by redtail hawk

Just now, redtail hawk said:

I'm pleased you read the entire article.  Was that your virgin voyage into completeness?  The article was always there and available for review.

Seems odd that you won’t speak to why you left out the tidy sum of 1M angle. Particularly so after spending the better part of a week whining about ol’ tuck. It borders on hypocritical don’t you think? 

Much easier to use a laughing emoji than to do any self reflection. Carry on. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Seems odd that you won’t speak to why you left out the tidy sum of 1M angle. Particularly so after spending the better part of a week whining about ol’ tuck. It borders on hypocritical don’t you think? 

Much easier to use a laughing emoji than to do any self reflection. Carry on. 

Thanks for your permission.  What I cut and pasted was true unlike ol tuck.  I didn't conclude that Barney was up for sainthood, for example.

Edited by redtail hawk

5 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Thanks for your permission.  What I cut and pasted was true unlike ol tuck.  I didn't conclude that Barney was up for sainthood, for example.

And here we go. You’re claiming that the videos TC showed were ‘untrue’? Interesting take. 

4 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

You attempted to paint a picture of Barney. That you did it so feebly is an ol’ red problem born of your need to reflexively defend your team under every circumstance. Seems weird to me but there’s no harm in calling out hypocrisy when we see it.

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

Thats the CNN headline. and has fact to it.  but is just one part of it. 

https://www.svb.com/news/company-news/silicon-valley-bank-commits-to-$5-billion-in-sustainable-finance-and-carbon-neutral-operations-to-support-a-healthier-planet

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

https://www.svb.com/news/company-news/silicon-valley-bank-commits-to-$5-billion-in-sustainable-finance-and-carbon-neutral-operations-to-support-a-healthier-planet

Any evidence that it was these investments that caused the collapse and not buying long term government bonds in the face of rising interest rates?

SVB invested in biotech, startups and tech. But for some reason, you’re not blaming those…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

50 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

My current employer is hot and heavy for some ESG and DEI lovin' of their own.  I've dedicated myself to avoiding it all, quite successfully.  My co-worker that has spent time working and living in poor parts of Africa and Asia calls all this stuff "first world problems" for people with nothing to worry about such as not starving to death.    

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

My current employer is hot and heavy for some ESG and DEI lovin' of their own.  I've dedicated myself to avoiding it all, quite successfully.  My co-worker that has spent time working and living in poor parts of Africa and Asia calls all this stuff "first world problems" for people with nothing to worry about such as not starving to death.    

that person seems to have a good grasp of it.

is Larry fink/Blackrock an investor of said company?