Regardless of what you think of him as a coach, McDermott is a really good man.

Draconator

15 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It's funny over the years how opinions have changed on a dime in a matter of months.  

The "opinions have changed" because some perpetually loud voices have gotten louder resulting some to not post as much or anymore.

You see the same slanted questions wording differently.  Reminds me of sales calls I get when they are not automated ones.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, McBean said:

Nice guy? I don’t give a crap.

Good father? Screw you go home and play with your kids.

If you want to be the head coach of the Josh Allen led Buffalo Bills, go win a Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history. If you can’t do that, get the f out of here.

image.thumb.png.825640f5539a99e5b5f662a92a7c177a.pngI see what you did there....  These tenderhearts have no sense of culture.

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Question is, will McDermott still be here when Allen and the Bills finally make it to the Super Bowl?  

Isn't most of that dependent upon McD himself?  

I mean the primary reason why we didn't advance further in the two seasons where we had our best chances, '21 & '22, was coaching, particularly in the defensive side.  There's not a lot of dispute there.  "13 Seconds" was a pure and outright coaching blunder, and so was playing ridiculously of the ball vs. Cinci.  

Funny you ask the question like that.  It could also have been asked, will Allen still be here when McDermott wins his first Super Bowl.  

Just sayin' 

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The "opinions have changed" because some perpetually loud voices have gotten louder resulting some to not post as much or anymore.

You see the same slanted questions wording differently.  Reminds me of sales calls I get when they are not automated ones.

All I know is that it will get very interesting here in ten more months if we underachieve again, to see how much character factors in.  

The defense of coaches and GMs in the past has been staunch going into a season, when afterwards everyone wants to burn down the building.  It's pretty funny to watch unfold, those reactions that is.  

Leave it to this place to turn what should just be a nice thread about McDermott's character into his abilities as a football coach. Some of you are way too serious about this stuff. Leave threads like this about the human aspect of McDermott, not what goes on during the game. That wasn't the intention of this thread.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Airseven said:

So what. This isn’t personal. You don’t know him. It’s about being a football coach. He should be judged in the context of wins and losses.

And you should be judged in the context of your posts in this forum. 

No, we don’t know McD personally, but he comes across as someone we would enjoy getting to know.

You? Well, does anyone really want to get to know a total delta bravo?

7 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Leave it to this place to turn what should just be a nice thread about McDermott's character into his abilities as a football coach. Some of you are way too serious about this stuff. Leave threads like this about the human aspect of McDermott, not what goes on during the game. That wasn't the intention of this thread.

You know how threads are tho, they typically all go off the rails after a page-and-a-half, if not sooner.  It's pretty common.  Either way, there's not going to be 30 pages praising McD's character.  That'd be a little weird, wouldn't it.  

45 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

All I know is that it will get very interesting here in ten more months if we underachieve again, to see how much character factors in.  

The defense of coaches and GMs in the past has been staunch going into a season, when afterwards everyone wants to burn down the building.  It's pretty funny to watch unfold, those reactions that is.  

If by "very interesting" you mean more threads on issue I disagree.  Irrational mobs are not interesting.

Bills-Mob.png

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

Who cares.    Beat the Bengals and don’t choke away a lead with 13 secs left vs the Chiefs 

Focus all that nice guy energy into not choking away games.  

He should sign his paycheck over to Josh Allen for saving his ass on repeat 

Preaaaaaaach!

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Justin C said:

Exactly! Send that stuff right here:

I am in the Philly area and my oldest daughter lives in the same area as McDermott's parents.. She and my youngest granddaughter were in local Breakfast place about a month ago, Granddaughter had on her Allen jersey, and in walked McDermott's parents.. His father had  Bills cap on , spotted my daughter and granddaughter and came right over, both he and McDermott's  mother introduced themselves as did my daughter, and his parents could not have been nicer!. Spoke about how much they like Orchard Park , etc.. just regular nice people.. Can never hate on Coach McD

I’ll talk smack about his game plans and game day management all day. In terms of quality of human I don’t think anyone can doubt he’s one of the best.  You could tell that from the moment he got on the mic at his opening press conference.  That’s why I sincerely hope he evolves and brings home a championship.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When you hire a culture guy instead of an innovator..........you've chosen the longer path.    But it's a win-now league so criticism follows coaches like McDermott who are great during the week but a work-in-progress on Sundays.    Don't get yourself exercised about it.   The criticisms might be exaggerated but not unwarranted.   McDermott(and Beane) have to get better at what they do if they expect to win a SB.   I actually like that McD is probably taking over the defensive play calling.   That represents an attempt at progress with disregard to the potential for added accountability.  

I don't disagree but it is wild to me that in the middle of march they are still whining about things that will not change.

I am also excited about mcd taking over play calling duties as he has been very successful and I'm looking forward to a more aggressive style defense.

Ive posted previously how hard it is to win the super bowl with a lot of stats regarding different coaches.  Mcd has some flaws but no coach is perfect.  Mcd has clearly performed at a minimum as a top 10 coach in this league and over an extended amount of time.

People can be mad about not winning the sb this year but does anything think on a talent level at the end of the year the Bills were as good as the eagles, chiefs, or bengals? At the start of the year with Hyde, Von, and a healthy Poyer id say yes.  By the end of the year I don't think they were.  Add in everything that happened to the team and the city and I thought mcd coached very well this year.

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Funny you ask the question like that.  It could also have been asked, will Allen still be here when McDermott wins his first Super Bowl.  

Just sayin' 

I'm not even assuming a win. I just want to get back to the Super Bowl. Not sure why you are questing the way I ask the question as it seems you agree with my assessment of McDermott in that there is a good (50/50) chance he is not the head coach in 2024 if the Bills continue their trend of going backwards. 

8 hours ago, Limeaid said:

If by "very interesting" you mean more threads on issue I disagree.  Irrational mobs are not interesting.

LOL, no, by interesting I mean the emotional disposition of posters.  In the past, the most ardent defenders and apologists of a coach or GM often become the most virulent critics within the course of a season.   It's pretty comical.  The "but she's got a great personality" line has its limits.  :D 

15 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Really? 4 quick topic starts? Does nobody like you in your house?

You’re assuming he’s not living alone with a case of genesee beer as his true love. 

Edited by Dopey
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.