What was the one play that made you fall in love with the Buffalo Bills?

PrimeTime101

I hate to say it, but as a young man, the double murderer (allegedly) completing the 1973 season against the Jests at Shea by topping 2003 rushing yards in a single season locked me in.  Much to my shame, I bought into Maris'ing Dickerson with an asterisk, as if that practice hadn't done enough damage already.  Sorry, gotta be honest.  He who shall not be mentioned made me a Bills fan.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I hate to say it, but as a young man, the double murderer (allegedly) completing the 1973 season against the Jests at Shea by topping 2003 rushing yards in a single season locked me in.  Much to my shame, I bought into Maris'ing Dickerson with an asterisk, as if that practice hadn't done enough damage already.  Sorry, gotta be honest.  He who shall not be mentioned made me a Bills fan.

That’s the memory that comes to mind for me. I also remember crying as a kid when he was traded to SF. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t know if it was one play in particular, but I was an 11 year old kid growing up in south central pa, right in the middle of the Steelers, eagles, and redskins triangle. I didn’t succumb to liking one of those teams, but when the bills beat the raiders 51-3 in the afc title game to go to their first super bowl, I was hooked. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

nothing to be sorry about. I was just 4 yrs old In 73. Another big one for me was James Loften catch for 74 yards. Made me go... "wow" just like now with many of JA throws

Apparently it was Scott Norwood “wide right”.

i was too young to understand football, but somehow I was able to understand and process the importance of that last drive, and getting into position for the game winning FG, it was supposed to be the first last second sports win I had experienced in my life, it was supposed to be an exhilarating moment…… and then he missed. Instead, it was utter heartbreak.

I started crying uncontrollably. I wasn’t sure why. I called my uncle for support. Then I see them get back to the SB again and again and again.  

by #3 and #4 , the Bills had become the laughingstock of the NFL at my elementary school.

and at that point I was a lifer, wanting nothing more than see the Bills win ONE Super Bowl to shut everyone up once and for all.

Still where I’m at today… and until I die.

In fact, if the Bills ever did win that SB, I often  wonder if I’d care as much afterward, because that’s what it has always been all about for me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I hate to say it, but as a young man, the double murderer (allegedly) completing the 1973 season against the Jests at Shea by topping 2003 rushing yards in a single season locked me in.

I was just at the age where I was starting to pay attention to football, and that's my first vivid memory of a particular play. I was already a fan of the team and the player, but that moment was huge.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is one of the earliest plays I remember as a kid. This was probably the first season of football that I can really remember being old enough to get interested in the Bills and football:

Flutie mania was a lot of fun. And Eric Moulds was my first favorite player. Loved seeing him play.

2 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Mike Stratton's hit on Keith Lincoln in the 60s. "Shot heard around the world".

obv a lot younger, and im sure that call has been made a bunch, but "shot heard round the world" will always make me think of game 1 (or 2?, whichever was sabres 1st W of series) Sabres v Stars Stanley Cup game winner. Jason Wooley overtime, it couldnt be more etched in my brain where i was

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.