Davis Webb

TheBillsOrDie

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm guessing here, but I'd bet a beer that it's No Such Thing.

Isn't Wilson the one who has his own entourage - mental coach, mechanics coach, massage therapist, trainer - and insisted on bringing them into the building?

My guess is that the reason the Broncos went for someone relatively inexperienced is to get someone who won't butt heads with those guys or with Wilson, but who will be high-energy about helping Wilson with anything he wants to do, chopping film up however Wilson wants it chopped, and super tactful with anything he points out instead of lacing it with ego.

Webb would probably fit the needs of that package (see what I did there?  and yeah I know it was Joe)

That PFT excerpt totally misunderstands the difference between coaching and players. For example, Great golf coaches  aren’t elite pro-level players. But they understand the mechanics and how to convey information a lot of times a lot better than the pros they coach. 

I don’t think the broncos would just hire some lackey. I bet Webb is coming in there to be a legit coach, imo. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

That PFT excerpt totally misunderstands the difference between coaching and players. For example, Great golf coaches  aren’t elite pro-level players. But they understand the mechanics and how to convey information a lot of times a lot better than the pros they coach. 

I don’t think the broncos would just hire some lackey. I bet Webb is coming in there to be a legit coach, imo. 

It's what George Bernard Shaw said:  "Those who can, do; those who cannot, teach."  

And...they teach those who can.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 2/23/2023 at 6:00 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Good for him. It’s also wild that guys can just get nfl jobs over guys who have been grinding for years. The best is when he gets a head coaching job for “fixing” a guy who was considered a borderline top 5 qb before last season. 

You're assuming Russell Wilson can be fixed I don't think he is.  He was in the right situation in Seattle  and he wasn't the reason for the Seahawks success he played a part but wasn't the reason.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I'm guessing here, but I'd bet a beer that it's No Such Thing.

Isn't Wilson the one who has his own entourage - mental coach, mechanics coach, massage therapist, trainer - and insisted on bringing them into the building?

My guess is that the reason the Broncos went for someone relatively inexperienced is to get someone who won't butt heads with those guys or with Wilson, but who will be high-energy about helping Wilson with anything he wants to do, chopping film up however Wilson wants it chopped, and super tactful with anything he points out instead of lacing it with ego.

Webb would probably fit the needs of that package (see what I did there?  and yeah I know it was Joe)

I know there was some hubbub when Payton first got to Denver. At the very least he said that Russ's people wouldn't be allowed in. Not that it could have been "new coach lip service" and of course there is nothing saying Wilson can't meet with his own people on his own time....but at least in the building it appears that Webb is the guy in charge of the room. And it doesn't appear Payton wants to be hand in hand with Wilson's team. 

Of course all that is subject to change even if you take these statements at face value.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/23/2023 at 6:10 PM, chongli said:

Excerpt from PFT article linked above:

"Wilson has started 189 games in his NFL career. Webb has started one game, the Giants’ meaningless Week 18 game at the end of last season. But Broncos coach Sean Payton apparently thinks the 28-year-old Webb can teach the 34-year-old Wilson about the quarterback position."

At this point, I’d probably be willing to play Webb over Wilson. 

In all seriousness though, the lesser talented guys have to learn the fine points of the game more to have any shot, so he may be an absolute wealth of knowledge.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I know there was some hubbub when Payton first got to Denver. At the very least he said that Russ's people wouldn't be allowed in. Not that it could have been "new coach lip service" and of course there is nothing saying Wilson can't meet with his own people on his own time....but at least in the building it appears that Webb is the guy in charge of the room. And it doesn't appear Payton wants to be hand in hand with Wilson's team. 

Of course all that is subject to change even if you take these statements at face value.

Ball has been fumbled. Link on Kansas City has been fumbled.

OOPS... Unfortunately, we are unable to locate the page you requested. Please check the web address you entered and try again.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/partners/article272193588.html#storylink=cpy

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Ball has been fumbled. Link on Kansas City has been fumbled.

OOPS... Unfortunately, we are unable to locate the page you requested. Please check the web address you entered and try again.

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/partners/article272193588.html#storylink=cpy

Weird. Opened for me. Maybe this one's better. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/seattle-seahawks-russell-wilson-personal-team-booted-out-new-denver-broncos-coach-sean-payton

"That's foreign to me," new coach Sean Payton said in his first meeting this week with the Denver media. "That's not going to take place here. I'm not familiar with it, but our staff will be here. Our players will be here.

"And that'll be it."

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I can see Payton's point. 

It's not as bad as Brady with his fitness guru/trainer Alex Guerrero, where he and Guerrero had their own company but he was allowed access to the Patriots facility and even use of the rooms and equipment, and players said they felt pressured to sign up with Guerrero or that Guerrero would contradict instructions from the Patriots trainers/S&C staff

At least, as far as we know.

But I can 100% see not wanting an independent parallel staff for the QB.

I do wonder if it will "stick" though.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Poleshifter said:

Every time John Elway’s name comes up, I think of how he passed on drafting Josh Allen, and took Bradley Chubb instead.

Not a great GM.

Yeah, that was unforgivable, but at least Elway squeezed a first round pick out of the Dolphins for Chubb, who is JAG…

41 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I can see Payton's point. 

It's not as bad as Brady with his fitness guru/trainer Alex Guerrero, where he and Guerrero had their own company but he was allowed access to the Patriots facility and even use of the rooms and equipment, and players said they felt pressured to sign up with Guerrero or that Guerrero would contradict instructions from the Patriots trainers/S&C staff

At least, as far as we know.

But I can 100% see not wanting an independent parallel staff for the QB.

I do wonder if it will "stick" though.

Yea I agree. That whole Brady/Guerrero situation was...weird. Somewhat surprised that Belichick would allow that much leeway in his building.... unless Kraft overruled him.

Payton always struck me as a real smug guy. There really aren't many coaches I have a lower personal opinion on...so I may be bias😂. Wouldn't shock me if push came to shove Russ is scapegoat number one for him next season. 

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yea I agree. That whole Brady/Guerrero situation was...weird. Somewhat surprised that Belichick would allow that much leeway in his building.... unless Kraft overruled him.

I thought Belichick pretty much had to put up with it?  That Kraft was paying Brady under the table by funneling money into the TB12 training facility owned by Brady and Guerrero?  Until Guerrero went too far by flat out telling certain players to not follow Patriots medical team advice, and Brady went too far by pretty much telling players to get treatment with Guerrero if they wanted his attention?

27 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Payton always struck me as a real smug guy. There really aren't many coaches I have a lower personal opinion on...so I may be bias😂. Wouldn't shock me if push came to shove Russ is scapegoat number one for him next season. 

Well...the Broncos surely didn't trade for Wilson and pay him the big bucks so they could sit in the cellar of the AFC West.  The current storyline is, it's not Russ Wilson's fault, Nathaniel Hackett was a mess.  So I wouldn't give odds against Wilson being Scapegoat Number 1.

Payton's ethical standards can be described in one word:  Bountygate

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I thought Belichick pretty much had to put up with it?  That Kraft was paying Brady under the table by funneling money into the TB12 training facility owned by Brady and Guerrero?  Until Guerrero went too far by flat out telling certain players to not follow Patriots medical team advice, and Brady went too far by pretty much telling players to get treatment with Guerrero if they wanted his attention?

When Guerrero went to far was also period when Beli-CHEAT also wanted to trade Br*dy but Krafty refused. 

The Sith disciple surpassed the master.

8 hours ago, MJS said:

People do NOT have to be able to do something in order to teach it. Tons of coaches have never played much football, and yet they teach complex schemes and plays to players. Offensive line coaches don't have to be former offensive linemen. Linebackers coaches do not have to be former linebackers.

Knowledge of what you are teaching is required, but it doesn't have to be first hand knowledge. Does it potentially help? Yes. But it is not required.

There are so many examples outside of football too.

how many QB coaches never played QB?

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

how many QB coaches never played QB?

I know you didn't ask me, but I thought it was an interesting question so I looked it up.

Bills-Joe Brady- WR

Patriots -BOB-Linebacker

Browns-Ashton Grant - WR

Steelers-Mike Sullivan -DB

Titans-Charles London-RB

Cardinals -Israel Woolfork-WR

There were 2 more teams that didn't officially have a QB coach (both have former QBs as OC, so double duty is likely there)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.