Penn State players in 2023 draft

pennstate10

Which of Penn States 2023 draft entrants are a fit for the Bills?

Here is my non-expert view as someone who has followed these guys through their college careers.

PSU has 8th most players currently in NFL, per SpoTrac.  The top 10 are all the usual suspects, except somehow Iowa slips in at 9.

There are currently two starters on Bills from PSU, both solid if unspectacular contributors.  Ryan Bates and Daquan Jones.

PSU has had high profile players overdrafted (Maybin) and underdrafted (A. Robinson, C. Godwin) in the past few years.

PSU players going to the combine are listed below:

Round 1--Joey Porter Jr, CB.  One of the top 3 CB in the draft.  Will likely be gone before Bills draft, and not a need for Bills.  Pass.

Round 2-3--Jayir "Tig" Brown, Safety.  Top 5 safety.  Strong tackler, good ball skills, not an elite coverage guy.  I think would be a good fit for Bills.

Round 3-4 -- Parker Washington, WR.  Slot receiver I've seen mocked as high as 1st round.  I dont think he's a first round talent.  Best comp is Julian Edelman, but PW isnt as quick as Edelman.  Pass

Round 3-5 --PJ Mustipher, DT.  Was considered a 1-2 round pick in 2021 before ACL.  Not as dominant this past year.  Could be a "steal" for a team willing to take a chance, but 1T DT not really  a need for Bills.

Round 4-6 -- Juice Scruggs, C/G.  Had a nasty auto accident that delayed his career for over a year. Seems healed from that , started at G in 2021 and C in 2022.  Clearly a need for Bills and definitely worth a Day 3 pick.

Round 5-7 -- Brenton Strange, TE.  Good blocker dependable hands. Not a need for Bills .  Pass

Round 6+ -- Michell Tinsley, WR.  Good college WR, dependable hands, but not elite speed or separation.  Pass

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I once was a PSU fan but after the whole Jerry Sandusky thing they can piss off. It’s also no surprise to me at all that they’ve been laundering money for the “Big Guy”. Let’s Go Brandon.

To be clear. Sandusky is part of the PSU history.  But otherwise, I think you have the University of Pennsvlvania and Penn State University confused. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Here is my non-expert view as someone who has followed these guys through their college careers.

PSU has 8th most players currently in NFL, per SpoTrac.  The top 10 are all the usual suspects, except somehow Iowa slips in at 9.

There are currently two starters on Bills from PSU, both solid if unspectacular contributors.  Ryan Bates and Daquan Jones.

PSU has had high profile players overdrafted (Maybin) and underdrafted (A. Robinson, C. Godwin) in the past few years.

Round 1--Joey Porter Jr, CB.  One of the top 3 CB in the draft.  Will likely be gone before Bills draft, and not a need for Bills.  Pass.

Round 2-3--Jayir "Tig" Brown, Safety.  Top 5 safety.  Strong tackler, good ball skills, not an elite coverage guy.  I think would be a good fit for Bills.

Round 3-4 -- Parker Washington, WR.  Slot receiver I've seen mocked as high as 1st round.  I dont think he's a first round talent.  Best comp is Julian Edelman, but PW isnt as quick as Edelman.  Pass

Round 3-5 --PJ Mustipher, DT.  Was considered a 1-2 round pick in 2021 before ACL.  Not as dominant this past year.  Could be a "steal" for a team willing to take a chance, but 1T DT not really  a need for Bills.

Round 4-6 -- Juice Scruggs, C/G.  Had a nasty auto accident that delayed his career for over a year. Seems healed from that , started at G in 2021 and C in 2022.  Clearly a need for Bills and definitely worth a Day 3 pick.

Round 5-7 -- Brenton Strange, TE.  Good blocker dependable hands. Not a need for Bills .  Pass

Round 6+ -- Michell Tinsley, WR.  Good college WR, dependable hands, but not elite speed or separation.  Pass

How is a backup TE not a need? 

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Cheapest fa available

No more draft resources on the DL.

Brace yourself because I think Beane is going to draft a DL guy.  Edmunds will walk and he'll use FA to address oline issues.  Then draft a DE or DT on Day 2.  They have too many guys with one year remaining - Oliver, Jones, Settle and Epenesa.  Jordan Phillips and Shaq are free agents.  Need to get better, younger, and cheaper guys.

20 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

I was going to post something similar - and can't agree with this any more.  SPOT ON IMO.  Tig is probably the biggest wildcard.  Worth a 2-3 round pick...but isn't as sure of a thing there as id like.  Parker Washington in the first round is puzzling.  He isn't Dotson, or Godwin, or Allen Robinson or KJ Hamler... 

50 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

I was going to post something similar - and can't agree with this any more.  SPOT ON IMO.  Tig is probably the biggest wildcard.  Worth a 2-3 round pick...but isn't as sure of a thing there as id like.  Parker Washington in the first round is puzzling.  He isn't Dotson, or Godwin, or Allen Robinson or KJ Hamler... 

yeah I think beane messed up last year with Dorson

i think he felt he would slide but didn’t - Dotson is going to be incredible and I will look at him like I did OJ McDuffie going to the Dolphins as a mistake ugh

2 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

yeah I think beane messed up last year with Dorson

i think he felt he would slide but didn’t - Dotson is going to be incredible and I will look at him like I did OJ McDuffie going to the Dolphins as a mistake ugh

Right. Anyone who watched Dotson day in and day out knew this was going to happen.  Dude has amazing hands and NEVER dropped a ball - no matter the situation (and ESPECIALLY the situation).    He's doing what we both expected with the commanders.   Dotson on the bills would have been the perfect fit - and certainly much better than Elam.  

That said - he wasn't there when we picked - and we'd have had to have traded up.   But I'd trade Elam and Cook for Dotson any day.  Can't really fault Beane here - but damn hindsight is 20/20.

Oh well.  Nobody on the Penn state list this year even comes close to that level.  Porter will be a good CB - and absolutely take him if he is there (he won't be).  But the rest are role players if that.  There isn't even someone with a high ceiling/low floor which is what I like to grab in the mid/late rounds.  Strange probably best fits that rating - but he's a practice squad guy IMO.  Injuries to Juice and PJ give me pause - but id take either in the later rounds.

This is making me feel better about PSU next year though.  Not losing a ton.  Allar, Singleton, Kaytron.  That offense is going to be FUN.  Just wish they had a WR.  Amazing how bad the WR slate is coming off Allen Robinson, Dotson, Godwin, Hamler, et. al.  You'd think a 5 star WR would be knocking down the doors to play with Allar.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

Right. Anyone who watched Dotson day in and day out knew this was going to happen.  Dude has amazing hands and NEVER dropped a ball - no matter the situation (and ESPECIALLY the situation).    He's doing what we both expected with the commanders.   Dotson on the bills would have been the perfect fit - and certainly much better than Elam.  

That said - he wasn't there when we picked - and we'd have had to have traded up.   But I'd trade Elam and Cook for Dotson any day.  Can't really fault Beane here - but damn hindsight is 20/20.

Oh well.  Nobody on the Penn state list this year even comes close to that level.  Porter will be a good CB - and absolutely take him if he is there (he won't be).  But the rest are role players if that.  There isn't even someone with a high ceiling/low floor which is what I like to grab in the mid/late rounds.  Strange probably best fits that rating - but he's a practice squad guy IMO.  Injuries to Juice and PJ give me pause - but id take either in the later rounds.

This is making me feel better about PSU next year though.  Not losing a ton.  Allar, Singleton, Kaytron.  That offense is going to be FUN.  Just wish they had a WR.  Amazing how bad the WR slate is coming off Allen Robinson, Dotson, Godwin, Hamler, et. al.  You'd think a 5 star WR would be knocking down the doors to play with Allar.

Issue is? Look no further than Franklin - he just doesn’t have “it” imo

gling to continue to be bullied my the Michigan’s and Ohio states 

7 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

I liked Dotson a lot coming out.  He made a handful of OBJ type catches in his PSU career that never got the attention they deserved.  My one concern was whether his frame could handle NFL hits.  A hamstring injury doesnt have much to do with lack of size but he did miss a lot of games his rookie year.  

9 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Brace yourself because I think Beane is going to draft a DL guy.  Edmunds will walk and he'll use FA to address oline issues.  Then draft a DE or DT on Day 2.  They have too many guys with one year remaining - Oliver, Jones, Settle and Epenesa.  Jordan Phillips and Shaq are free agents.  Need to get better, younger, and cheaper guys.

That happens I immediately start advocating to fire him.

Gross negligence.

On 2/19/2023 at 11:38 AM, pennstate10 said:

I think Tinsley is a bit underrated. Built a lot like Skyy Moore or a Brandon Aiyuk (long arms and big hands for his size). Especially if you go back to his WKU games with Zappe, he plays much bigger than he is when things are contested and I think is fast enough to be a solid WR in the NFL. At one point at WKU he got a step on 4.2 40 Tariq Woolen and kept that step over like 30-40 yards to the end zone. Def someone I would target as a Bills fan in the later rounds

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.