2023 Yankees thread.........Domingo German pitches perfect game

BADOLBILZ

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

With the competitive part of the season over here is a nice look at a tremendous group of Yankees prospects in rookie ball this year:

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2023/8/23/23840991/yankees-prospects-minors-rookie-league-fcl-lombard-delgado-arias-tejeda-montero-serna-cruz-lalane

Lol did you skip to rookie ball because of the bereft nature of AAA and AA?  Their top ranked prospect is the #78 MLB prospect.  Literally every team in baseball could write a puff piece like that about guys they just drafted.  The Yankees are in big trouble for a long time unless they spend an absolute ton AND nail EVERY deal.

5 hours ago, Gregg said:

I didn't see a Mets thread so I will put this here. Daryl and Doc will have their numbers retired by the Mets next season.

F4Tni6RXUAAJYsK?format=jpg&name=900x900

Have other guys worn those numbers in the interim?

11 hours ago, Gregg said:

I didn't see a Mets thread so I will put this here. Daryl and Doc will have their numbers retired by the Mets next season.

F4Tni6RXUAAJYsK?format=jpg&name=900x900

Also were good Yankees.   Nobody is stopping the Mess fans from starting an annual thread, btw.    

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Also were good Yankees.   Nobody is stopping the Mess fans from starting an annual thread, btw.    

I am a Yankees fan, so I wasn't going to start one. Still Doc and Daryl were a big part of the Mets history in the 80's.

• Agree 1

I believe I heard on last night’s Mets game broadcast that August 26th is the latest point in any season in which the Mets and Yankees both held the bottom spot in their respective divisions. 

Top two payrolls in MLB. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Yanks release Josh Donaldson and put Masterson Bader on irrevocable waivers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/mlb/article-12459099/Yankees-waive-Harrison-Bader-release-Josh-Donaldson.html

Two of Cashman's worst player evaluations.......he was like "You thought we couldn't hit right handed pitching in 2021?  Hold my beer I got some trades to make...".

Hopefully we see some more prospects up.   How I'd prioritize them:

1. Jasson Dominguez OF switch hit

2. Austin Wells C lefty bat

3. Estevan Florial OF lefty bat

4. "Uncle" Ben Rice C lefty bat

They will probably go Wells first if they bring just one of them up as the roster expands 2 spots.    But Dominguez is red hot.   Now is the time to get him some at bats.

On a positive note tonight.......nice start from Mike Cocaine.........2 ER in 8.1 innings as a starter now........maybe he has a future at the back end of the rotation next year..........and great long relief from Johnny Burrito.    Filthy stuff from Johnny B.

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yanks release Josh Donaldson and put Masterson Bader on irrevocable waivers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/mlb/article-12459099/Yankees-waive-Harrison-Bader-release-Josh-Donaldson.html

Two of Cashman's worst player evaluations.......he was like "You thought we couldn't hit right handed pitching in 2021?  Hold my beer I got some trades to make...".

Hopefully we see some more prospects up.   How I'd prioritize them:

1. Jasson Dominguez OF switch hit

2. Austin Wells C lefty bat

3. Estevan Florial OF lefty bat

4. "Uncle" Ben Rice C lefty bat

They will probably go Wells first if they bring just one of them up as the roster expands 2 spots.    But Dominguez is red hot.   Now is the time to get him some at bats.

On a positive note tonight.......nice start from Mike Cocaine.........2 ER in 8.1 innings as a starter now........maybe he has a future at the back end of the rotation next year..........and great long relief from Johnny Burrito.    Filthy stuff from Johnny B.

2020-54

2012-32

2022-61

2023-78

The above is Dominguez’ ranking on a year by year basis on the MLB top 100 prospect list.  You may deduce that it’s not exactly trending in the right direction.  No one else on your list is in the top 100.  Personally I think Wells could prove to be a serviceable backup catcher at some point.  Congrats.  The Yanks only hope to compete in the next 5 years, like it has been since the end of the Jeter era, is to buy buy buy in the off-season and hope they get it right,  Spoiler alert: they won’t.  And now they don’t actually have any real prospects to trade.  It’s all free agents to fill in the 17 holes on their 26 man roster.  

Brito and King?  OMG Shirley you can’t be serious that they will do anything other than fill out a spot.  Maybe a #5 starter between the 2.  At least Bader offered elite defense.  Is Judge going back to CF?  

Meanwhile in Baltimore: Rutschman, Mullins, Santander, Cowser, Kjerstad, Rodriguez, Henderson, Mountcastle, Westburg, Hays, Mayo, Ortiz, Basallo.  All the current MLB players I listed are at least reasonably young.  Some are babies.  All the minor leaguers are prospects which rank above the Yankees best single prospect.

Good luck in 2030 Yanks

Oops.  Forgot Jackson Holliday in my list.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Martian takes Verlander yard on first career swing.

Youngest Yankee to hit first career HR in first MLB at bat and 5th youngest player in AL/NL history.

https://www.mlb.com/news/jasson-dominguez-first-mlb-homer-vs-justin-verlander#:~:text=He's also the youngest Yankee,youngest in AL%2FNL history.

Holy ***** holy *****!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I just noticed that they batted Dominguez third tonight.  That surprised me. 

Their lineup with the younger guys is a little more balanced but it won’t be enough in the long run.  And by in the long run I mean 2024 and 2025.  2023 is long gone.  

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the Royals/Astros.  Perez got hit in the mask with a foul tip, clearly hurt but would not come out.  The coaches came out a few times and he just wouldn’t’.  Finally Yordan Alvarez and the home plate umpire stood there and basically had an intervention with him until he came out.  They showed him a ton of respect…..and he has earned every bit.  I’m not sure if he’s done after this year but the dude plays the game the right way and will be missed.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 8:27 PM, SWATeam said:

Lol, ok, tell us all again about their streak of winning seasons!!!!  😂 

Oh SQUATeam...........ye of little faith........Yanks finish the season with best record in MLB over the last 5 weeks and your hopes of a Yankees losing season were dashed.

Predictably.........because that's how I am sure life always goes for you.

Also @4merper4mer the random bandwagon Cardinal fan got to enjoy a team that finished an abysmal 71-91...........victims of the balanced schedule after decades of feasting off of half-invested competition in the NL central.

But........no more time for you losers:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-clinch-winning-record-with-win-no-82-despite-disappointing-season-extend-streak-to-31-years/

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh SQUATeam...........ye of little faith........Yanks finish the season with best record in MLB over the last 5 weeks and your hopes of a Yankees losing season were dashed.

Also @4merper4mer the random bandwagon Cardinal fan got to enjoy a team that finished an abysmal 71-91...........victims of the balanced schedule after decades of feasting off of half-invested competition in the NL central.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-clinch-winning-record-with-win-no-82-despite-disappointing-season-extend-streak-to-31-years/

Congratulations!!!!  🤣

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Lol you’re just trolling but it’s such a lame attempt.  You cannot be in here bragging about 82-80.  Somewhere in here you called the Padres season a disaster.  They finished 82-80 like the Yankees but that 82-80 was proof of brilliance?

Sure my Cardinals had a rough season but they are a well run organization and will be back.  There are some players in the pipeline.  I don’t think it will be next year but it will be soon.  How exactly are the Yankees, with TWO good players on their roster, coming back?  Spend their way out of it with more Josh Donaldsons?  Trade for more Middletons?  Lol their prospect pool is abysmal and they sold nothing at the deadline.  They can’t even afford to trade for another gem like Frankie Montas.  Maybe they can have their player personnel department turn over another superstar like Rodon.  OMFG.  Have fun paying Stanton while the Orioles have 463 young stud players on cheap contracts.  Oh, and the Rays.  Maybe you can squeak in a wild card appearance in 5 years or so.

NL Central has two World Series Champs since the Yankees won one.  The Cardinals last WS is more recent than the Yanks.

If the Bills finished 9-8…..over .500……I can’t even imagine the grousing you’d do.  Your screen name is literally a complaint about the Bills offensive line, but somehow you have a soft spot and lack of objectivity when it comes to the Yankees.  It has to be trolling because it can’t be real.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Who ya got for NL and AL champs then who wins it all.

I can’t go all chalk but have to go Braves to win it all.  That means I need an underdog in the AL.  Rays.

Edit:  I admit even with the Ray’s it’s pretty chalky,  I like some of the underdog teams but just don’t see the pitching there.  

Edited by 4merper4mer

59 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yankees Drew Thorpe earns prospect equivalent of the 2023 Cy Young award for all levels of minor league baseball

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-drew-thorpe-earns-prospect-pitcher-of-the-year-award

The same Drew Thorpe is currently rated the #99 prospect in baseball.  Scouts see his upside as “possibly middle of the rotation at some point”.  Hey.  He cracked the top 100.

• Haha (+1) 1

How do you guys feel about them keeping Boone?

I know he is annoying to Yankees fans for his positivity and seeming to ignore problems.  Sitting on those grenades and getting the players' backs does score points and respect in the lockerroom though.  I think Boone is a good guy with integrity and if they ever get that roster and salary structure in order, he will do just fine

Managers basically refer to a binder to determine what to do nowadays.  The last actual manager has retired (francona).

I do think Cashman is awful though and the league has passed him by.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

How do you guys feel about them keeping Boone?

I know he is annoying to Yankees fans for his positivity and seeming to ignore problems.  Sitting on those grenades and getting the players' backs does score points and respect in the lockerroom though.  I think Boone is a good guy with integrity and if they ever get that roster and salary structure in order, he will do just fine

I think that they should have moved on from Boone.

He is too soft a manager, and doesn't advocate 'aggressive' baseball.

Yes, he would be better if the lineup was strengthened, but who wouldn't ?

There are several good "free agent" managers out there.

*  as much as I live Donny Baseball, I wouldn't choose him.

*  with such a young team, I wouldn't mind Showalter.

9 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I think that they should have moved on from Boone.

He is too soft a manager, and doesn't advocate 'aggressive' baseball.

Yes, he would be better if the lineup was strengthened, but who wouldn't ?

There are several good "free agent" managers out there.

*  as much as I live Donny Baseball, I wouldn't choose him.

*  with such a young team, I wouldn't mind Showalter.

Cashman signed a 4-year deal earlier this year, so he isn't going anywhere but he has to take some of the blame here. This roster needs to be better. Take Judge out of the lineup and look at what you have.

On 10/2/2023 at 7:26 PM, 4merper4mer said:

Who ya got for NL and AL champs then who wins it all.

I can’t go all chalk but have to go Braves to win it all.  That means I need an underdog in the AL.  Rays.

Edit:  I admit even with the Ray’s it’s pretty chalky,  I like some of the underdog teams but just don’t see the pitching there. 

Rays fan must despise their stadium. Lowest attended playoff game in over 100 yrs.

Would like to see the Orioles to win it all, but, seems too good of a turn around story.

AL East is even tougher. A healthy Judge and Rodon next year add 15 victories? 🤔

9 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Rays fan must despise their stadium. Lowest attended playoff game in over 100 yrs.

Would like to see the Orioles to win it all, but, seems too good of a turn around story.

AL East is even tougher. A healthy Judge and Rodon next year add 15 victories? 🤔

Ohtani had the top MLB WAR this year and Kim of the Padres was surprisingly second.  They added up to 14.2.  But an additional half season of Judge plus Rodon will add up to 15?  Because of pinstripes or ?????

38 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Ohtani had the top MLB WAR this year and Kim of the Padres was surprisingly second.  They added up to 14.2.  But an additional half season of Judge plus Rodon will add up to 15?  Because of pinstripes or ?????

Why does talk of the Yankees trigger you so much?  

21 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Why does talk of the Yankees trigger you so much?  

Why do you think I’m triggered?  Carlos Rodon and half a year of Judge do not add 15 wins to any team.  How is pointing that out an indication of being triggered?  It’s a discussion.  I disagree with what was said and used facts to back up my opinion.  

Just now, 4merper4mer said:

Why do you think I’m triggered?  Carlos Rodon and half a year of Judge do not add 15 wins to any team.  How is pointing that out an indication of being triggered?  It’s a discussion.  I disagree with what was said and used facts to back up my opinion.  

Why do I think you're triggered? 

"Because of pinstripes or ?????" comes off as triggered to me ( just one example)

For the record I probably hate the Yankees more than you and I do appreciate your insights. But your incessant Yankee hatred hyberbola is off-putting.

On 10/3/2023 at 9:39 PM, 4merper4mer said:

The same Drew Thorpe is currently rated the #99 prospect in baseball.  Scouts see his upside as “possibly middle of the rotation at some point”.  Hey.  He cracked the top 100.

Yeah, sounds about right.   But it wasn't a post about top 100 lists it was about a Yankees prospect winning an award and acknowledging a great pro debut season for Thorpe.

Yanks have more than their share(literally 1/20th of that list you referenced) of prospects in top 100 and as some of those graduate to the majors next season they will be followed up by another wave of them.  

Cardinals system was overrated and now it's pretty barren...........but don't despair..........by virtue of their last place finish this season they will be drafting near the top of round 1 so you'd think they'd get a good player.    

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah, sounds about right.   But it wasn't a post about top 100 lists it was about a Yankees prospect winning an award and acknowledging a great pro debut season for Thorpe.

Yanks have more than their share(literally 1/20th of that list you referenced) of prospects in top 100 and as some of those graduate to the majors next season they will be followed up by another wave of them.  

Cardinals system was overrated and now it's pretty barren...........but don't despair..........by virtue of their last place finish this season they will be drafting near the top of round 1 so you'd think they'd get a good player.    

JMO - but it feels like Yankee fans only post here when there's something good to post. When things go bad this thread goes silent. Not much critical thinking as far as I can tell. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

I was just pondering about Judge and Rodon, 15 game uptick seems a lot. Not a big stat reader, but, thanks, I’ll pay more attention to WAR. Now if the Yankees signed Ohtani……🤔

6 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Why do I think you're triggered? 

"Because of pinstripes or ?????" comes off as triggered to me ( just one example)

For the record I probably hate the Yankees more than you and I do appreciate your insights. But your incessant Yankee hatred hyberbola is off-putting.

I admit to using hyperbole in this thread but typically it is in response to unintended hyperbole like implying Carlos Rodon will have a WAR approaching 10.

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Like Tink Hence, or Masyn Winn, or Jordan Walker?  But honestly, fair enough point.  Nothing wrong with pointing out the award.  Congrats to the kid.

In the spirit of fairness will you admit that the “Bilz” OL hasn’t been that bad this year?  

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

I was just pondering about Judge and Rodon, 15 game uptick seems a lot. Not a big stat reader, but, thanks, I’ll pay more attention to WAR. Now if the Yankees signed Ohtani……🤔

Ohtani at Yankee stadium would be undeniably impactful.  Of course he would be anywhere, but it would be something.  Let’s see if Cashman’s analysis, which netted the Yankees a 47 year contract with Stanton, deems Ohtani the worthy of pursuit.

Edited by 4merper4mer

6 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

JMO - but it feels like Yankee fans only post here when there's something good to post. When things go bad this thread goes silent. Not much critical thinking as far as I can tell. 

This Yankees fan is right here.  Hey hater, why the venom?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.