2023 Yankees thread.........Domingo German pitches perfect game

BADOLBILZ

Big 4 game Hou/NYY series coming up.  I thought this would be a fun contest.

Who will have more RBI in the upcoming series:

A- Yordan Alvarez

B- The Yankees

C- They will tie

I will go C as Alvarez is working his way back from an injury and may skip one of the games.

12 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Big 4 game Hou/NYY series coming up.  I thought this would be a fun contest.

Who will have more RBI in the upcoming series:

A- Yordan Alvarez

B- The Yankees

C- They will tie

I will go C as Alvarez is working his way back from an injury and may skip one of the games.

Is Verlander pitching?

10 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The extremely well run Yankees took from May until August to figure out their .078 hitting first basement has a concussion.

Edit:  I meant baseman not basement, but if the shoe fits…….

.078!!

That's impressive for a 16 year old!

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 8/5/2023 at 2:46 AM, Buffalo716 said:

.078!!

That's impressive for a 16 year old!

.078 was an approximation but since the play below Rizzo has the lowest hitting metrics of any player in MLB.  He has an Italian surname so I guess the Yanks had to leave him in.  Worse than the Tua thing?  Can’t be because we’ve been told in no uncertain terms that the Yankees are an extremely well run organization.

Cashman has a 4-year deal, and the media reports are saying he will still be the GM going forward. If anything, Boone will be the fall guy. Another terrible loss yesterday to the Marlins. Looks like there won't be any playoff baseball in NY this October.

49 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Nobody has a better grasp of the Yankees organization than Axisa, IMO.

The 1 thing I will add to his piece is:

1.  When you win for 30 straight years...........while the league is understandably continually changing rules trying to create more parity in the sport........there has become only one good way to stay ahead of it.    Accepting that you need to spend more EVERY year.   And while Axisa talks about the decisions to cut and conserve payroll at times during the period what he should be saying is that the cost of maintaining a winning program EVERY YEAR without any tank jobs is to be spending considerably more every year.     This team should have gradually built itself up to a $400M+ payroll by now and they should never take an offseason off of shopping for star talent like they did with Harper/Machado because you don't know what the next class will bring or if the few stars in one class will be afraid of playing in NY.    No excuse for them ever to not be #1.   Highest revenues and most valuable team in their sport.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/24/2023 at 7:36 PM, 4merper4mer said:

IKF too.

I get a little bored sometimes with the lopsided teams talk.  Can the Yanks beat the Astros?  Etc.  plenty of time for that in September.  I’m looking at teams that are up and coming or will exceed expectations.  I can see the white Sox making a comeback.  They were snake bit last year.  My “over” team is the Royals.  They’ll lose but have a lot of talent and youth.  

@BADOLBILZ I’m quoting myself above to fess up to what turned out to be really bad preseason takes.  The W Sox were clearly not “snake bit”.  They had/have talent but there is A LOT missing somewhere.  I’ll defend KC just a little as injuries hit their offense and they are coming around a bit and still young/talented.  Witt is the goods.  Their pitching?  Oof.  

Baseball is hard to predict.  With that said, it is clear that the Yankees are a big budget poorly run operation from top to bottom and relatively bereft of prospects.  The MLB top 100 prospect list was just updated with NY only having #’s 78, 79, 80.  All of them are OF.  I think they fare slightly better with Baseball America but yikes.  At least the Mets replenished a little.  

Their only hope for the next 3+ years is to spend huge.  While the Cardinals are not in great shape by their high standards, they can flourish with a lot less angst.  They don’t have 10 albatrosses on their roster.  Cincy, Mil, and maybe the other two will present some challenges but Baltimore and TB are here to stay and your other two are better than you.  4th place will be a target for a few years.

31 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nobody has a better grasp of the Yankees organization than Axisa, IMO.

The 1 thing I will add to his piece is:

1.  When you win for 30 straight years...........while the league is understandably continually changing rules trying to create more parity in the sport........there has become only one good way to stay ahead of it.    Accepting that you need to spend more EVERY year.   And while Axisa talks about the decisions to cut and conserve payroll at times during the period what he should be saying is that the cost of maintaining a winning program EVERY YEAR without any tank jobs is to be spending considerably more every year.     This team should have gradually built itself up to a $400M+ payroll by now and they should never take an offseason off of shopping for star talent like they did with Harper/Machado because you don't know what the next class will bring or if the few stars in one class will be afraid of playing in NY.    No excuse for them ever to not be #1.   Highest revenues and most valuable team in their sport.

Or maybe not “develop” Andujar, Frazier and Bird or pay $$$$$$ to Donaldson and guys like him to avoid guys like Seager.  Lol.

Edited by 4merper4mer

4 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I heard yesterday that with the two losses to the Braves so far, that the Yankees are at .500 in August for the first time since 1995? 

Yes their current streak of 30 straight winning seasons in the second longest among the 4 major US sports(baseball, football, basketball, hockey)............second only to their own streak from the 1920's to 1960's.     

They really should just bring up some young players and put guys like Stanton and LeMahieu on the 60 day IL to open up at bats....... because 6.5 games out of the WC is a lot this late and with their starting pitching now in shambles they don't have a legitimate shot to make that up.

But I suspect Hal will want them to try to keep up the streak of winning seasons at the expense of development.   Because he and Cashman have been poo-pooing the criticism of their team building pretty consistently until recently and salvaging a 82-80 season would save them a ton of embarrassement.   Them they could save some face and point at teams like the Mets, Padres and Cardinals and say AT LEAST they didn't finish like those high expectation/losing results sh!t shows.   

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

60-60. 14 GB in the division and 6.5 back in the WC race. George is turning over in his grave.

In fairness,  George did the same thing in the 80's.

After basically buying two pitching staffs worth of hurlers and every good hitter he could get his hands on to keep his championship teams stocked in the mid-late 70's.......and proving that model wins.....George got down with the other owners and colluded against free agents in the 80's.

George agreed not to bid on certain players.......most egregiously Jack Morris........which made it more than obvious from a civil perspective that the owners were working together to keep salaries down because the Yanks were pitching starved.   Much like Hal in recent years that turned out to be George's Verlander/Harper/Freeman/Seager type WTF-why-didn't-they-get-that-perfect-fit-guy? moment.   

Comes down to this........greed expands.   When George was pulling in south of $300M in revenues and had a $200M+ payroll in the early 2000's he was probably pretty pleased with himself about how much he was raking in relative to his expenses while not sacrificing the product on the field.     Now Hal is pulling closer to $1B in annual revenues on a $290M payroll.  The profits were once a fraction of the payroll........now it's the other way around.

If you wonder why there is a "Yankees tax" when it comes to trades it's because a lot of owners resent very much that the Yanks aren't sharing more of that revenue.   They set up these luxury tax thresholds in lieu of a hard cap to get access to Yankee money and Hal has since tried to juggle winning while not sharing their outrageous profits instead of doing what the league expected..........for them to pridefully keep spending to evade parity.  

But Hal has no shame at this point and pocketing billions of dollars organizationally over the last decade is why.   Their profit expectations have changed.   What's amazing is the lengths that they've gone at times to avoid paying just a few million in luxury tax.   It has just made no sense from a competitive standpoint.   It's almost spiteful.   Axisa's column touches on that a bit but is even a bit understated, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

well, they did sign Aaron Judge to a $360,000,000 contract, and they are paying that Human Gourd Gioncarlo Stanton $32 Million/Year (and his contract goes through most of this decade).  $80 Million in this year's payroll is sitting on IR. ($21 Million to Josh Donaldson?)

Their payroll is still very high.  Just not Mets-ludicrous.  The money is just allocated poorly and they seem behind the times.  Especially, much like the AFC East, the traditional doormats seem to have gotten their houses in order.  

Edited by May Day 10

34 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In fairness,  George did the same thing in the 80's.

After basically buying two pitching staffs worth of hurlers and every good hitter he could get his hands on to keep his championship teams stocked in the mid-late 70's.......and proving that model wins.....George got down with the other owners and colluded against free agents in the 80's.

George agreed not to bid on certain players.......most egregiously Jack Morris........which made it more than obvious from a civil perspective that the owners were working together to keep salaries down because the Yanks were pitching starved.   Much like Hal in recent years that turned out to be George's Verlander/Harper/Freeman/Seager type WTF-why-didn't-they-get-that-perfect-fit-guy? moment.   

Comes down to this........greed expands.   When George was pulling in south of $300M in revenues and had a $200M+ payroll in the early 2000's he was probably pretty pleased with himself about how much he was raking in relative to his expenses while not sacrificing the product on the field.     Now Hal is pulling closer to $1B in annual revenues on a $290M payroll.  The profits were once a fraction of the payroll........now it's the other way around.

If you wonder why there is a "Yankees tax" when it comes to trades it's because a lot of owners resent very much that the Yanks aren't sharing more of that revenue.   They set up these luxury tax thresholds in lieu of a hard cap to get access to Yankee money and Hal has since tried to juggle winning while not sharing their outrageous profits instead of doing what the league expected..........for them to pridefully keep spending to evade parity.  

But Hal has no shame at this point and pocketing billions of dollars organizationally over the last decade is why.   Their profit expectations have changed.   What's amazing is the lengths that they've gone at times to avoid paying just a few million in luxury tax.   It has just made no sense from a competitive standpoint.   It's almost spiteful.   Axisa's column touches on that a bit but is even a bit understated, IMO.

LOL, you're "well run" Yankees have the second highest payroll in the league.  It is not lack of spending that is holding them back.

Hilarious to contrast your "criticisms" of the build of the Yankees vs. that of the Bills.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

well, they did sign Aaron Judge to a $360,000,000 contract, and they are paying that Human Gourd Gioncarlo Stanton $32 Million/Year (and his contract goes through most of this decade).  $80 Million in this year's payroll is sitting on IR. ($21 Million to Josh Donaldson?)

Their payroll is still very high.  Just not Mets-ludicrous.  The money is just allocated poorly and they seem behind the times.  Especially, much like the AFC East, the traditional doormats seem to have gotten their houses in order.  

Yes......."(we) did sign Aaron Judge to a $360,000,000 contract" is exactly what Hal wants fans to focus on.   Forget the fact that they used to spend 2/3 of their revenue on talent every year and not bat an eye..........but now they spend 1/3 or less of their revenue on talent and are sure to remind us just how much they spend relative to the rest of the league(like that matters when most of those other teams have a fraction of their revenue).  

One of my favorites was the company line that no other MLB team lost as much revenue during covid as the Yankees.   Well no *****........your revenue dwarfs that of teams like Pittsburgh or Cinci to start with.  That's like a guy making $250K per year saying he lost more money by a work stoppage than a guy who was making $40K at the same company.  :doh:    

And btw........what's lost in the Judge deal is that they were somehow not even the highest bidder!  They got a hometown discount from Judge or they were even letting him walk. :lol:   

7 hours ago, SWATeam said:

LOL, you're "well run" Yankees have the second highest payroll in the league.  It is not lack of spending that is holding them back.

Hilarious to contrast your "criticisms" of the build of the Yankees vs. that of the Bills.

I've never called the Yankees "well run" anywhere on TSW ever.

I mean, obviously.

Man you are a gullible idiot. :lol:

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've never called the Yankees "well run" anywhere on TSW ever.

I mean, obviously.

Man you are a gullible idiot. :lol:

LOL, whatever.  I just find it amusing Beane’s biggest critic is a John from Hemet level Yankees fanboy.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yes their current streak of 30 straight winning seasons in the second longest among the 4 major US sports(baseball, football, basketball, hockey)............second only to their own streak from the 1920's to 1960's.     

They really should just bring up some young players and put guys like Stanton and LeMahieu on the 60 day IL to open up at bats....... because 6.5 games out of the WC is a lot this late and with their starting pitching now in shambles they don't have a legitimate shot to make that up.

But I suspect Hal will want them to try to keep up the streak of winning seasons at the expense of development.   Because he and Cashman have been poo-pooing the criticism of their team building pretty consistently until recently and salvaging a 82-80 season would save them a ton of embarrassement.   Them they could save some face and point at teams like the Mets, Padres and Cardinals and say AT LEAST they didn't finish like those high expectation/losing results sh!t shows.   

Bring up what young players?  Their system is shot.  Give Peraza and Cabrera more time?  Sure.  

Cardinals?  Shirley you can’t be serious.  They have disappointed sure but they look like the have a clue.  They will be back.  The Mets already  did what you say the Yankees should do.  They beat you to the punch.  The Yanks traded for Middleton and that was it.  OMG!  Padres?  Ok there is a case.  Add the Angels to that mix unless they somehow manage to keep Ohtani, but the Yankees are easily the most inept big money team in the league.  The Padres have a decent pipeline and the Angels have Trout and a few young guys.

In the off-season the Yankees either need to spend gigantic money and get it right or tear it down.  IMO they should trade Cole for a ton of prospects if they find a buyer.  Not sure who is buying, but Cole is legit.  Judge needs to stay but I do feel bad for him.  Maybe getting Montas and Donaldson back will……..never mind I can’t even joke about it.

20 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

LOL, whatever.  I just find it amusing Beane’s biggest critic is a John from Hemet level Yankees fanboy.

You haven't read any fan-boy level praise from me..........you got suckered by renowned fake-ass troll account @4merper4mer and now you are really leaning into your idiocy.   

The thread is full of warranted criticism of players and Hal and Cashman for what they've done to an organization that has no business not winning 95-100 games every year and winning WS on the regular.

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You haven't read any fan-boy level praise from me..........you got suckered by renowned fake-ass troll account @4merper4mer and now you are really leaning into your idiocy.   

The thread is full of warranted criticism of players and Hal and Cashman for what they've done to an organization that has no business not winning 95-100 games every year and winning WS on the regular.

Lol, ok, tell us all again about their streak of winning seasons!!!!  😂 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The first three posts on page 3 of this thread beg to differ.  Yes you’ve criticized the Yankees some, but comparing their current build to the Cardinals as things project into the near and mid term future is a joke.  Forget the Cards, look at Baltimore, Tampa, Toronto and Boston.  Two of them spend, two don’t.  All four have good farm systems and/or multiple recent call ups to build around.  Who exactly are the Yanks building around that will still be prime when they’re ready?

I’m old enough to remember when they brought up a legitimate core that lasted a decade.  Jeter, Mariano, Pettitte, Posada and more.  Where is any semblance of that now?  

Your relentless bashing of the Bills looks nothing like your rosy assessment of the Yankees.  One of the early posts is about some rando who hit a long HR but worried that the Yanks had no room at first or third to put him.  

Edited by 4merper4mer

20 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Fun fact:  If you were to add the Orioles’ entire payroll to the Yankees’ payroll, the Yankees would STILL be #2 in the league to the Mets. 

The top 3 payrolls, NYM, NYY, SD - will likely all miss the playoffs. 

On 8/16/2023 at 8:27 PM, SWATeam said:

Lol, ok, tell us all again about their streak of winning seasons!!!!  😂 

1926-1964 (39 seasons)

1993-2022 (30 seasons)

No other MLB franchise has had more than 18(1968-1985 Orioles) and you'll be taking a dirt nap LONG before any mlb team could challenge either so I'm sorry if it bothers........but you'll have to take it to your grave.  :beer: 

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1926-1964 (39 seasons)

1993-2022 (30 seasons)

No other MLB franchise has had more than 18(1968-1985 Orioles) and you'll be taking a dirt nap LONG before any mlb team could challenge either so I'm sorry if it bothers........but you'll have to take it to your grave.  :beer: 

Curt Flood called and mentioned your initial entry is about as meaningful as a recipe for bean dip.

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1926-1964 (39 seasons)

1993-2022 (30 seasons)

image.jpeg.851f5c7a87f835a6559721f77d11858a.jpeg

He’s Italian.  Why would they need to play Peraza at short when Volpe throws spicy meatballs like this to first?

They topped it though by batting a guy who is literally hitting .098 with two on and two out down one in the 9th.  Well run organization!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 4merper4mer

With the competitive part of the season over here is a nice look at a tremendous group of Yankees prospects in rookie ball this year:

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2023/8/23/23840991/yankees-prospects-minors-rookie-league-fcl-lombard-delgado-arias-tejeda-montero-serna-cruz-lalane

Also Baseball America ranks 7 Yankees prospects in their most recent update of top 100 prospects:

https://elitesportsny.com/2023/08/11/these-7-yankees-prospects-made-baseball-america-top-100/

Overall pretty good season for the Yankees farm system.    A lot of lefty and/or switch hitters close to the majors.......the lack of which is by far their biggest weakness.   The Yankees have beaten up left handed starting pitching(were 14-4 last I checked) but most teams just avoid using LHP against them knowing that their only real lefty bats are Quad-A players like Bauers and McKinnie.   Not a coincidence that they broke their losing streak against a LHP.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That man is STRONG! It appeared to me that he even got slightly under that ball and still hit it a mile.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.