SB LVll Game Thread: Eagles VS Chiefs

T&C

27 minutes ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

It probably was a penalty as you can see that he did grab for a moment the jersey but should not of been called. Tough spot for an official for sure but they do need to do better in just being consistent.  It wasn’t being called on both sides all night. 

Both sides said hold so although ticky tack both players agreed.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

To be fair…Hurts strip sack fumble run in for a TD was a difference making play in the game.  Aren’t we pretty damn critical of other QB who turn the football over for a score like that?

Agree on the Eagles D.  Again, that penalty at the end was bad….but if the Eagles ST didn’t get toasted on a return, and toasted crispy on 2 TD passes, they aren’t in a position where that makes a difference in the game

People just love to blame results on a call or two late in a game and ignore the other 120 or so plays that lead to those moments.

The reality is that teams very often play themselves into situations where a bad break can cost them the game.   And that's what happened to Philly.    They did a lot of things well on offense but their near-historic pass rush got shut out and they made some huge blunders to set up TD's for KC with that fumble and the long punt return allowed.

But if some fans want to blame officiating,  that's still OK with the NFL..........nothing bonds fans to their team like the perception that they've been treated unfairly by the powers that be.    The NFL knows that drama drives interest.   They stand nothing to gain financially by perfecting officiating and they know it.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I’m honestly asking here…I’m guessing the answer is yes but I didn’t see it myself. Were there a lot of defensive holding penalties going uncalled in this game? I think the one that was called at the end was pretty blatant personally and likely saved a TD so I personally think it had to be called, but I’m open to the idea that there were other blatant ones that were not.

Ultimately I thought this was maybe the best officiated game of the playoffs which isn’t saying a lot but kinda is.

The playing surface and QB sneak abuse were the two most annoying parts of the game to me. 

There was none called to the best of my knowledge.  That's what makes this one all the more worse and that one in particular was so weak, I would've had a problem with it  if it happened during a regular season game where the game was already out of hand due to the score.

The fact this happened in a Super Bowl and essentially decided the outcome is still shocking to me.

18 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I suspect it will be outlawed this off-season anyways (not qb sneaks in general but specifically the ones where everyone just pushes him from behind). 

Why? That kind of play goes back to the very origins of the game...controlling the line of scrimmage.  If the defense can't stop it, it's because they're losing the battle in the trenches.

41 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

I think Daboll would have been able to go toe to to with either team offensively.

But he’s long gone and the Bills weren’t in this game, so we will just never know.

Not with them shape our D line was in the end of the season and certainly not with our current O line.  It would've been ugly on both sides of the ball, just like the Cincy game.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Could be, but it’s more like watching a great TV series and then it has a garbage ending (no holding called until then!). That’s what the holding call was for me. 

Good lord.  Anyone happy with the way that game ended is either a Chiefs homer or a closet Chiefs fan and from the beginning, I didn't care who won.

Worst call I've ever seen considering it decided the outcome of a Super Bowl.

1 hour ago, Governor said:

We could’ve drafted Bolton. We already knew Edmunds stunk and we hadn’t paid Milano yet. We screwed up. He was all over the field.

Bolton is 5'11".  No way that the Bills brass would have drafted him - he doesn't 'disrupt passing lanes' like Edmunds does.  Never mind that Bolton has a nose for the ball, and is a sideline-to-sideline demon.  Disruption of passing lanes is what really matters!

• Haha (+1) 1

Bradberry said post game it was holding and that he tugged at the jersey.  He hoped the holding call wouldn’t be made.  What sucks is that was probably one of the less egregious holding calls I’ve seen.  Much worse happens every game that isn’t called.  

I’m not saying it shouldn’t have been called, just call every game the same.  What is holding this game is holding in the next game on offense and defense.  Either on the line or in the defensive backfield.

Edited by davefan66

For the "refs are in for KC" crowd....in tonights game and the Cincy game...KC had TD's taken back by review or penalty.  Why if you are fixing it for KC do you take away TD's?  That Goddeart 3rd and 16 catch...could have been overtrurned...we've all seen worse than that called a no catch...but it wasn't.  KC had Jalen Hurtz stopped on one of those sneaks...and the whistle doesn't blow forever...and they finally push him over the line....

The Refs suck.  They suck consistantly for everyone.  I can name a ton of calls that didn't go KC's way, bad missed calls.  Bad calls made.  I can do that for every team in the league...we can all agree the officiating is terrible.  But this fix crap is something else...

2 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

For the "refs are in for KC" crowd....in tonights game and the Cincy game...KC had TD's taken back by review or penalty.  Why if you are fixing it for KC do you take away TD's?  That Goddeart 3rd and 16 catch...could have been overtrurned...we've all seen worse than that called a no catch...but it wasn't.  KC had Jalen Hurtz stopped on one of those sneaks...and the whistle doesn't blow forever...and they finally push him over the line....

The Refs suck.  They suck consistantly for everyone.  I can name a ton of calls that didn't go KC's way, bad missed calls.  Bad calls made.  I can do that for every team in the league...we can all agree the officiating is terrible.  But this fix crap is something else...

I'm not saying it's fixed.  I'm saying a very iffy call determined the outcome of a dang Super Bowl and that type of crap shouldn't happen, especially given they weren't calling that all night.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

That is why many are upset with the call. Was it holding? Yes but not calling it all game then calling it at the end it's frustrating. I'm not a fan of either team just hate how the league favors certain teams. It happened last season too at around the same time in the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

That is why many are upset with the call. Was it holding? Yes but not calling it all game then calling it at the end it's frustrating. I'm not a fan of either team just hate how the league favors certain teams. It happened last season too at around the same time in the game. 

Super Bowl 2022: Rams' winning TD fueled by controversial call (nypost.com)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

People just love to blame results on a call or two late in a game and ignore the other 120 or so plays that lead to those moments.

The reality is that teams very often play themselves into situations where a bad break can cost them the game.   And that's what happened to Philly.    They did a lot of things well on offense but their near-historic pass rush got shut out and they made some huge blunders to set up TD's for KC with that fumble and the long punt return allowed.

But if some fans want to blame officiating,  that's still OK with the NFL..........nothing bonds fans to their team like the perception that they've been treated unfairly by the powers that be.    The NFL knows that drama drives interest.   They stand nothing to gain financially by perfecting officiating and they know it.

The margin of error in playoff football is so small that one call often can swing a game.  Takes luck and skill to win a Super Bowl for that very reason.  

50 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It was a quick hand in the jersey and release within the approved jamming receiver area…receivers are getting tied up with jersey grabs constantly in that area of the field with no call and I didn’t expect a game with no penalties on either secondary for 58 minutes to be when that changed lol 

I really don’t think bradberry throws that quick grab in if it was being called more tightly 

3 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

Newcam.. my man.

Mahomes could challenge Brady, but he won’t get there. 

KC is a very good team, but beatable for sure. Mahomes is absolutely not unstoppable.

(I offer zero congrats to KC or their fans.)

I like going the humble route. I have no issues with Mahomes or Reid. However, T. Kelce rubs me the wrong way. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So much for the Eagles 70 sack pass rush.

Zero sacks on a high-ankle-sprained Mahomes. 😆

You beat the Chiefs.......or the Bengals or Eagles etc.. by outscoring them.

I think the Eagles defense played the Chiefs all wrong. They played them like the 2021 Chiefs where you had to drop everyone back into deep zones because of the threat of Tyreek Hill. This year they don't have a player like that so defenses have learned you can cheat more towards the short and intermediate areas without getting burned too often. The Eagles instead called an extremely vanilla and easy to dissect defense. Always rush 4 and drop everyone into their zone. Reminded me of our plan against the Bengals. That's way too easy for an elite QB and play caller, especially with an offensive line as good as the Chiefs. Because of this vanilla defense the Chiefs kept winning on 1st and 2nd down which made it difficult for the Eagles pass rush to ever find a rhythm. Andy Reid schooled his former team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

Not with them shape our D line was in the end of the season and certainly not with our current O line.  It would've been ugly on both sides of the ball, just like the Cincy game.

I agree. It's pretty unrealistic to think that the Bills team could have beat either team today. 

I mean didn't they see the Miami and Cinci playoff games?

KC and Philly are much better teams than Buffalo. Next season who knows? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think the Eagles defense played the Chiefs all wrong. They played them like the 2021 Chiefs where you had to drop everyone back into deep zones because of the threat of Tyreek Hill. This year they don't have a player like that so defenses have learned you can cheat more towards the short and intermediate areas without getting burned too often. The Eagles instead called an extremely vanilla and easy to dissect defense. Always rush 4 and drop everyone into their zone. Reminded me of our plan against the Bengals. That's way too easy for an elite QB and play caller, especially with an offensive line as good as the Chiefs. Because of this vanilla defense the Chiefs kept winning on 1st and 2nd down which made it difficult for the Eagles pass rush to ever find a rhythm. Andy Reid schooled his former team.

Interesting post and a very good perspective. I'm not sure how I feel about the take though.

While watching the game, I was very surprised that the Philly D didn't get to Mahomes. Very little pressure throughout the game. I knew the KC Oline was good but I still thought Philly's Dline could severely disrupt Mahomes. Pretty surprising to see Mahomes with so much time. 

Blitzing Mahomes is usually not advised. So not sure what good options the Eagles had. Maybe someone can give better insight on this. Whatever they did clearly wasn't effective in the second half. 

In the end, you just have to give credit to Reid and Mahomes. They are just so clutch in big games. They know how to finish. I think we all basically knew by the middle of the 4th quarter that Chiefs were likely going to win. That says a lot about the winning ways and the organization of the Chiefs. Unfortunately, the Bills are lagging behind.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Eagles had no answer for Kelce, he was running free in the secondary. There still doesn’t seem to be anyway to limit him. 

The Chiefs had some slick run plays were Pacheco and McKinnon would slide across the formation and take the handoff, instead of head on.

In the second half, the Eagles had problems getting the ball to Smith and Brown. There were long stretches of the game where I said where is Brown, Smith hasn’t touched the ball forever. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.