Joe Montana Rooted Against Brady Too!

NoHuddleKelly12

A really great article from Wright Thompson…an in-depth dive into the background and current life of Joe Montana. I always respected his game and found him to be very rootable when not playing the Bills.

Some nuggets include his acrimonious relationship with basically all of his coaches from high school in Western Pa, Notre Dame and 9ers…he succeeded despite them and their constant questioning of his abilities to be a transcendent talent.

Also goes into greater detail about his complicated feelings towards Brady’s accomplishments…some excerpts:

The violent league he dominated no longer exists. He got knocked out of three different playoff games with hits that would now be illegal. Jim Burt hit him in 1987, and the camera settles on Montana seeming to mumble. He was knocked cold and taken away in the back of an ambulance. In the fourth quarter of the 1990 NFC Championship Game, he rolled out, dodged Lawrence Taylor and looked downfield. Leonard Marshall hit him from behind, helmet to helmet, driving Montana's head down into the turf. The hit broke his hand, cracked his ribs, bruised his sternum and stomach and gave him a concussion. Steve Young sprinted onto the field in concern and got to Joe first.

"Are you all right, Joe?" he yelled.

"I'll be all right," Joe whispered.

The team doctors asked where he hurt.

"Everywhere," he told them.

Montana, who looked like a golden boy with his hair and his Ferrari, knew the secret to winning football better than anyone. It wasn't athleticism or mental acuity or even accuracy.

"Suffering," Ronnie Lott says.

Montana accepts that pain is the price football extracts. It's easy to imagine why the success of Tom Brady, who got out without any scars, would seem like a violation of the most basic codes of the game. Growing up, Montana idolized Johnny Unitas, who made the plays and took the shots. Joe wore No. 19 as a kid. A photo exists of him as a rookie wearing a Niners No. 19, but when camp broke, the equipment managers assigned him No. 16 instead. The next time Montana chose a number again, with the Kansas City Chiefs, he picked No. 19.

Worth a read even though it’s a long article. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35604915/49ers-legend-joe-montana-reflects-legacy-ahead-super-bowl

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
Clarity
  • Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

A really great article from Wright Thompson…an in-depth dive into the background and current life of Joe Montana. I always respected his game and found him to be very rootable when not playing the Bills.

Some nuggets include his acrimonious relationship with basically all of his coaches from high school in Western Pa, Notre Dame and 9ers…he succeeded despite them and their constant questioning of his abilities to be a transcendent talent.

Also goes into greater detail about his complicated feelings towards Brady’s accomplishments…some excerpts:

The violent league he dominated no longer exists. He got knocked out of three different playoff games with hits that would now be illegal. Jim Burt hit him in 1987, and the camera settles on Montana seeming to mumble. He was knocked cold and taken away in the back of an ambulance. In the fourth quarter of the 1990 NFC Championship Game, he rolled out, dodged Lawrence Taylor and looked downfield. Leonard Marshall hit him from behind, helmet to helmet, driving Montana's head down into the turf. The hit broke his hand, cracked his ribs, bruised his sternum and stomach and gave him a concussion. Steve Young sprinted onto the field in concern and got to Joe first.

Montana, who looked like a golden boy with his hair and his Ferrari, knew the secret to winning football better than anyone. It wasn't athleticism or mental acuity or even accuracy.

Montana accepts that pain is the price football extracts. It's easy to imagine why the success of Tom Brady, who got out without any scars, would seem like a violation of the most basic codes of the game. Growing up, Montana idolized Johnny Unitas, who made the plays and took the shots. Joe wore No. 19 as a kid. A photo exists of him as a rookie wearing a Niners No. 19, but when camp broke, the equipment managers assigned him No. 16 instead. The next time Montana chose a number again, with the Kansas City Chiefs, he picked No. 19.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35604915/49ers-legend-joe-montana-reflects-legacy-ahead-super-bowl

In fairness..........Brady played about 8-9 years before the violence was forcibly legislated out of the passing game by Goodell.

Brady was tremendous at avoiding big hits.    

Montana was very good at it but he did like to keep plays alive with his feet.........as evidenced by "The Catch"..........so just not as good at it as Brady.

2 great QBs who rode the "chip on my shoulder, everyone doubted me" shtick to the HOF.

The article doesn't really describe a dislike for Brady, just an annoyance that there is a comparison because Joe doesn't think Brady (or other QBs after him I guess) doesn't have to be as tough any more to achieve the highest level of success.  The fact that only 1 guy since him has done so dents his argument a bit.  Plus, no QB in history has taken more hits than Brady.  Increased penalties have not stopped brutal hits.  Helmet to helmets happen every single game, for example, despite being "illegal".  Guys in Joe's era didn't take care of themselves like today's players do as a routine.

5 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Except the Nate Clements hit that would’ve got him fined, ejected, and arrested in Goodell‘s NFL.

solid shoulder-shoulder hit.  Brady got right up.  that wouldn't be an ejection today.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

2 great QBs who rode the "chip on my shoulder, everyone doubted me" shtick to the HOF.

The article doesn't really describe a dislike for Brady, just an annoyance that there is a comparison because Joe doesn't think Brady (or other QBs after him I guess) doesn't have to be as tough any more to achieve the highest level of success.  The fact that only 1 guy since him has done so dents his argument a bit.  Plus, no QB in history has taken more hits than Brady.  Increased penalties have not stopped brutal hits.  Helmet to helmets happen every single game, for example, despite being "illegal".  Guys in Joe's era didn't take care of themselves like today's players do as a routine.

solid shoulder-shoulder hit.  Brady got right up.  that wouldn't be an ejection today.

Would’ve at the very least been flagged, I guarantee it. Even if it was legal. 

• Agree 2

Working in Whistler and managing a ski shop, I sat down for lunch with Montana and his family in 2002 to get them set up with gear. I will never have a bad thing to say about that man. Gracious, humble and one of the nicest celebrities I’ve ever met. I loved watching him play and that experience placed him in the pantheon of greats for me.

• Like (+1) 7

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

That was my takeaway.  I didn't seen anything that said he disliked Brady.  Montana didn't like being compared to him because he thinks they both played in different eras.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

i guess. not fined, ejected nor arrested.

Flagged and fined. Ejected and arrested was my early morning humor attempt. We’ve seen bogus flags that led to fines and then the NFL doubles down on those fines days after the game rather than admit they were wrong. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• NoHuddleKelly12 changed the title to Joe Montana Rooted Against Brady Too!
6 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

That was my takeaway.  I didn't seen anything that said he disliked Brady.  Montana didn't like being compared to him because he thinks they both played in different eras.

Have edited the thread title to better clarify. Also in the OP I originally stated “complicated” in describing his feelings about Brady’s run. Hope that helps. 

• Like (+1) 1

Haha I love reading the comments from older players and internet tough guys when they talk about older years and “when men were men.” As if trying to keep themselves safe makes them less manly. Are some of the rules a little ridiculous, sure, but also look at how many former players have life long complications because of hits they took during a game. 

people talk about guys like Jack Lambert like he was this amazing player, toughest guy, all this stuff, when in reality he was mostly a cheap shot artist playing a kids game. Todays players are in fact bigger, stronger, faster than what players used to be (and please don’t mention individual players, I’m talking about players as a whole) because of the fact they play and train year round, so yes rules do need to be put in place to protect these guys. Has Brady benefitted from these rules, obviously yes, but so had Josh and every other QB. The whole “back in my day” talk just sounds like sour grapes to me

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Flagged and fined. Ejected and arrested was my early morning humor attempt. We’ve seen bogus flags that led to fines and then the NFL doubles down on those fines days after the game rather than admit they were wrong. 

Fined for what?  Wasn't head to head.

39 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

Haha I love reading the comments from older players and internet tough guys when they talk about older years and “when men were men.” As if trying to keep themselves safe makes them less manly. Are some of the rules a little ridiculous, sure, but also look at how many former players have life long complications because of hits they took during a game. 

people talk about guys like Jack Lambert like he was this amazing player, toughest guy, all this stuff, when in reality he was mostly a cheap shot artist playing a kids game. Todays players are in fact bigger, stronger, faster than what players used to be (and please don’t mention individual players, I’m talking about players as a whole) because of the fact they play and train year round, so yes rules do need to be put in place to protect these guys. Has Brady benefitted from these rules, obviously yes, but so had Josh and every other QB. The whole “back in my day” talk just sounds like sour grapes to me

I felt like it was more of a situation where Montana was saying look, I should’ve been allowed to continue to compete for the starting job based on my performance before the 90 NFC Championship injury and coming off back to back SB campaigns…we could’ve gone to many more and thereby implying the 9er dynasty would’ve been the equal of or even longer than Brady’s…here’s what I’m talking about:

In 1988 and 1989, he led the team to Super Bowl titles. His third and fourth. In 1990 San Francisco was leading the NFC Championship Game deep in the fourth quarter when he got hurt. Steve Young took over and Montana never started for the Niners again.

"Why wasn't I allowed to compete for the job?" he says. "I just had one of the best years I'd ever had. I could understand if I wasn't playing well. We had just won two Super Bowls and I had one of my best years and we were winning in the championship game when I got hurt. How do I not get an opportunity? That's the hardest part."

As Montana worked to recover, he says Seifert banned him from the facility when the team was in the locker room. Something ruptured inside Joe that still hasn't healed. Those other coaches doubted him, fueled him, even manipulated him, but in the end they never pushed him out of the circle. A team was a sacred thing. Joe's an only child -- an essential detail to understand, former teammate Ronnie Lott says, because he lived so much of his early life in his own head -- and his teammates became his family. All the old Niners knew Joe's parents. They gathered around his mom's table for ravioli. Jennifer made fried chicken for team flights. As much as Joe wanted to win football games he also wanted to belong to his teammates, and they to him.

"Why am I not allowed in the facility?" he says. "What did I do to not be allowed in the facility?"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

I started following the 49ers after we traded OJ. I'm a big fan of the original Super Joe/Joe Cool. I remember writing him as a youth and them sending back a bunch of autographed pics and stuff. I couldn't be prouder showing all that stuff to my friends back then, good times. I'm with Joe, Good read thanks.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In fairness..........Brady played about 8-9 years before the violence was forcibly legislated out of the passing game by Goodell.

Brady was tremendous at avoiding big hits.    

Montana was very good at it but he did like to keep plays alive with his feet.........as evidenced by "The Catch"..........so just not as good at it as Brady.

Montana threw not one, not two but Three bad picks in the legendary “catch” game. Probably would have been benched or behind three scores in today’s NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Fined for what?  Wasn't head to head.

I guess you aren’t aware of the fines that follow bogus flags. And despite the player appealing, when it’s obvious an infraction wasn’t committed, the league upholds the fine. “Personal foul, unnecessary roughness on the defense, #22. 15 yard penalty, automatic first down.” A fine would follow Clements after the game, one that he would unsuccessfully appeal.

37 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I guess you aren’t aware of the fines that follow bogus flags. And despite the player appealing, when it’s obvious an infraction wasn’t committed, the league upholds the fine. “Personal foul, unnecessary roughness on the defense, #22. 15 yard penalty, automatic first down.” A fine would follow Clements after the game, one that he would unsuccessfully appeal.

there were 10 (ten) roughing the passer fines in 2022, including the playoffs. 

if that hit on Brady isn’t illegal, why would there be a fine?  You haven’t explained that yet. 

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

there were 10 (ten) roughing the passer fines in 2022, including the playoffs. 

if that hit on Brady isn’t illegal, why would there be a fine?  You haven’t explained that yet. 

I’m talking about fines coming after bogus penalties, it doesn’t necessarily have to be roughing the passer. Just because the hit wasn’t illegal - just like Cody Ford’s block on that DE in the Houston playoffs - doesn’t mean a fine won’t follow. If there’s a 15 yard infraction the league is looking to hand down financial penalties. In fact, even after upholding Ford’s fine, the league then sent the tape to officials as an illustration of what doesn't constitute a penalty. Go figure.

EDIT: Oh and the hit against Brady couldn’t have been called roughing the passer since he was a runner at that point. 

Edited by JayBaller10

13 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I’m talking about fines coming after bogus penalties, it doesn’t necessarily have to be roughing the passer. Just because the hit wasn’t illegal - just like Cody Ford’s block on that DE in the Houston playoffs - doesn’t mean a fine won’t follow. If there’s a 15 yard infraction the league is looking to hand down financial penalties. In fact, even after upholding Ford’s fine, the league then sent the tape to officials as an illustration of what doesn't constitute a penalty. Go figure.

EDIT: Oh and the hit against Brady couldn’t have been called roughing the passer since he was a runner at that point. 

Yes, Brady took a legal hit as a runner...

........So now you're saying he wouldn't be flagged, ejected or arrested....but just might be fined in "Goodell's" NFL, even though "the hit wasn't illegal"?  You're making less sense each post. 

In the same week Ford got fined--after flagged (later reduced, not "double downed" or "upheld")--Clowney gave Wentz a clear helmet shot that sent him to the locker room.  Zero fine.  

The league is looking to hand down fines for 15 yards penalties? they penalized 10/93 roughing the passer (10.7%) and 53/162 unsportsmanlike conduct (any reason)/helmet to helmet/defenseless player (32.7%).  Total fines were $181K for roughing the passer. Defenseless player only $174K.  Compare that to a whopping $166K for taunting, $167K for fighting, $133K for obscene gestures and $135k for celebration.  There were more fines laid out for taunting and obscene gestures--EACH--than roughing the passer.

If "the league is looking to hand down financial penalties" for 15 yard penalties, they aren't really looking too hard, are they? 

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, Brady took a legal hit as a runner...

........So now you're saying he wouldn't be flagged, ejected or arrested....but just might be fined in "Goodell's" NFL, even though "the hit wasn't illegal"?  You're making less sense each post. 

In the same week Ford got fined--after flagged (later reduced, not "double downed" or "upheld")--Clowney gave Wentz a clear helmet shot that sent him to the locker room.  Zero fine.  

The league is looking to hand down fines for 15 yards penalties? they penalized 10/93 roughing the passer (10.7%) and 53/162 unsportsmanlike conduct (any reason)/helmet to helmet/defenseless player (32.7%).  Total fines were $181K for roughing the passer. Defenseless player only $174K.  Compare that to a whopping $166K for taunting, $167K for fighting, $133K for obscene gestures and $135k for celebration.  There were more fines laid out for taunting and obscene gestures--EACH--than roughing the passer.

If "the league is looking to hand down financial penalties" for 15 yard penalties, they aren't really looking too hard, are they? 

I said Clements would be flagged and fined if the same hit occurred today. NEVER said it was roughing the passer, it would’ve been termed “unnecessary roughness.” Also said the ejected and arrested part was a joke. Do you have reading comprehension problems? Why are you so hung up on roughing the passer fines? When was the argument EVER about RTP? Yes, I’m convinced you have reading comprehension problems.

You then proceed to list the amount of fines players incurred during the season about a million dollars worth, and then you say the league isn’t looking too hard to hand out financial penalties for 15 yard infractions. Classic WEO nonsense.  

12 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I said Clements would be flagged and fined if the same hit occurred today. NEVER said it was roughing the passer, it would’ve been termed “unnecessary roughness.” Also said the ejected and arrested part was a joke. Do you have reading comprehension problems? Why are you so hung up on roughing the passer fines? When was the argument EVER about RTP? Yes, I’m convinced you have reading comprehension problems.

You then proceed to list the amount of fines players incurred during the season about a million dollars worth, and then you say the league isn’t looking too hard to hand out financial penalties for 15 yard infractions. Classic WEO nonsense.  

lol--"reading comprehension"...the ultimate white flag.

Anyway:

"The league is looking to hand down fines for 15 yards penalties? they penalized 10/93 roughing the passer (10.7%) and 53/162 unsportsmanlike conduct (any reason)/helmet to helmet/defenseless player (32.7%).  Total fines were $181K for roughing the passer. Defenseless player only $174KCompare that to a whopping $166K for taunting, $167K for fighting, $133K for obscene gestures and $135k for celebration."

As I made clear, my stats included not only "roughing the passer" (settle down, son), but all 15 yards penalties--which fell into the second group (helmet to helmet/defenseless/unsportsmanlike).   Given your legendary powers of reading comprehension, I know you understood that.

I'm pretty sure, with your superior, nay, unmatched, reading skills, you could see I was comparing (when I said "compare that to") the 15 yard penalty money ($893K)  to nonsense penalties such as gestures, celebration, taunting and fighting, which combined totaled a whopping  $601K.  (in 2021, the roughing/helmet/unsportsmanlike totaled only $587K).

That's hardly a focus on "handing down fines" for those 15 yard penalties (under 25% are fined).  It's the pretty rare occurrence, in fact.  That would make it the opposite of "looking to" by the NFL.  Pretty simple.

To close the circle on your initial unfortunate post:  how many players were suspended for 15 yard penalties in 2022? 1 (Evans for fighting).  2021? 1.  "Goodell's NFL" isn't doing a very good job of handing down financial penalties (via fines or suspensions) for 15 yard penalties after all. 

And, 1 more time, hit on Brady wasn't a penalty in 2001 or 2022.  Clean hit. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

lol--"reading comprehension"...the ultimate white flag.

Anyway:

"The league is looking to hand down fines for 15 yards penalties? they penalized 10/93 roughing the passer (10.7%) and 53/162 unsportsmanlike conduct (any reason)/helmet to helmet/defenseless player (32.7%).  Total fines were $181K for roughing the passer. Defenseless player only $174KCompare that to a whopping $166K for taunting, $167K for fighting, $133K for obscene gestures and $135k for celebration."

As I made clear, my stats included not only "roughing the passer" (settle down, son), but all 15 yards penalties--which fell into the second group (helmet to helmet/defenseless/unsportsmanlike).   Given your legendary powers of reading comprehension, I know you understood that.

I'm pretty sure, with your superior, nay, unmatched, reading skills, you could see I was comparing (when I said "compare that to") the 15 yard penalty money ($893K)  to nonsense penalties such as gestures, celebration, taunting and fighting, which combined totaled a whopping  $601K.  (in 2021, the roughing/helmet/unsportsmanlike totaled only $587K).

That's hardly a focus on "handing down fines" for those 15 yard penalties (under 25% are fined).  It's the pretty rare occurrence, in fact.  That would make it the opposite of "looking to" by the NFL.  Pretty simple.

To close the circle on your initial unfortunate post:  how many players were suspended for 15 yard penalties in 2022? 1 (Evans for fighting).  2021? 1.  "Goodell's NFL" isn't doing a very good job of handing down financial penalties (via fines or suspensions) for 15 yard penalties after all. 

And, 1 more time, hit on Brady wasn't a penalty in 2001 or 2022.  Clean hit. 

For the umpteenth time - and maybe this one gets through - THE EJECTED AND ARRESTED QUOTE WAS A JOKE. Never did I even put “suspension” out as a joke either, so it was never in my “initial and unfortunate post.” But I’m not surprised you thought that, seeing as how your comprehension is lacking. 

People like you shrink behind their convictions if they’re forced to stand on them, so let’s put it to the test. A friendly $100 wager, I’ll put up a post with the Clements hit and have members of TBD vote whether it would warrant a flag and a fine in 2022, today’s NFL. I could also dig into CONTROVERSIAL FINES from this year alone and ask if those warranted flags and fines. If more people think as you do, congrats, there’s a free $100 to you. I can live with the subjectivity of the votes either way. You like to talk, so put your money where your mouth is. Otherwise shut up and take your nonsense to one who won’t force you to stand on your convictions. Deal?

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

For the umpteenth time - and maybe this one gets through - THE EJECTED AND ARRESTED QUOTE WAS A JOKE. Never did I even put “suspension” out as a joke either, so it was never in my “initial and unfortunate post.” But I’m not surprised you thought that, seeing as how your comprehension is lacking. 

People like you shrink behind their convictions if they’re forced to stand on them, so let’s put it to the test. A friendly $100 wager, I’ll put up a post with the Clements hit and have members of TBD vote whether it would warrant a flag and a fine in 2022, today’s NFL. I could also dig into CONTROVERSIAL FINES from this year alone and ask if those warranted flags and fines. If more people think as you do, congrats, there’s a free $100 to you. I can live with the subjectivity of the votes either way. You like to talk, so put your money where your mouth is. Otherwise shut up and take your nonsense to one who won’t force you to stand on your convictions. Deal?

It doesn’t what posters think is a penalty. Half of them think all refs fish’s against the Bills are bogus and nearly all the real penalties against the Bills are not called.  So that’s a suckers bet.  Most of them would say it’s a clean hit if it’s applied on, say, Mahomes or Burrow…but a dirty hit/penalty if it’s Allen on the receiving end. So, obviously your bet is silly.

My “conviction” is that There is no focus on fines ( the only conviction you’re sticking to from your original post) for the 15 yard penalties,  as I have shown you 3 times and therefore, you simply made that up.   You could have saved yourself some face if you had “dug into” any facts regarding any of this at all,  before stumbling into your first, ill fated post. 

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It doesn’t what posters think is a penalty. Half of them think all refs fish’s against the Bills are bogus and nearly all the real penalties against the Bills are not called.  So that’s a suckers bet.  Most of them would say it’s a clean hit if it’s applied on, say, Mahomes or Burrow…but a dirty hit/penalty if it’s Allen on the receiving end. So, obviously your bet is silly.

My “conviction” is that There is no focus on fines ( the only conviction you’re sticking to from your original post) for the 15 yard penalties,  as I have shown you 3 times and therefore, you simply made that up.   You could have saved yourself some face if you had “dug into” any facts regarding any of this at all,  before stumbling into your first, ill fated post. 

But it’s not Allen, Mahomes, or Burrow on the receiving end, so your argument is baseless and silly. In fact, I can post the video on another fan’s board, you pick the team. Probably better that way anyway since it’d be entirely neutral. I’ll grant you that advantage of picking whatever team of the 32 you like.

The question will be simple: is this a flag for unnecessary roughness if the same hit occurred today? And would #22 on the Bills be fined for the hit? Both conditions will have to be met. Your next post is yes or no and if yes, the team that will receive the post. We can have someone from TBD hold the money so that neither party reneges. Your conviction is that it’s not a penalty or fine in today’s NFL because it’s a legal hit. It’s sad I have to remind you. My conviction is that it is. I don’t care about all your other words talking me to death. Let’s see who waves the white flag…

5 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Just because the hit wasn’t illegal, doesn't mean a fine won't follow

4 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

But it’s not Allen, Mahomes, or Burrow on the receiving end, so your argument is baseless and silly. In fact, I can post the video on another fan’s board, you pick the team. Probably better that way anyway since it’d be entirely neutral. I’ll grant you that advantage of picking whatever team of the 32 you like.

The question will be simple: is this a flag for unnecessary roughness if the same hit occurred today? And would #22 on the Bills be fined for the hit? Both conditions will have to be met. Your next post is yes or no and if yes, the team that will receive the post. We can have someone from TBD hold the money so that neither party reneges. Your conviction is that it’s not a penalty or fine in today’s NFL because it’s a legal hit. It’s sad I have to remind you. My conviction is that it is. I don’t care about all your other words talking me to death. Let’s see who waves the white flag…

Asked and answered...your  words---talking your own point to its death.  No need to remind me--I'm agreeing with you!--the hit IS not illegal, as you said.  Stick with  your convictions!!!!

If that hit is put on Mahomes or Burrow (or Brady) "in 2022" (the topic of this discussion), the overwhelming majority of posters here say it's not a penalty.  They would be correct--this is in contradiction to your first proposition, why change your bet?----stick with your convictions!!!

9 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Would’ve at the very least been flagged, I guarantee it. Even if it was legal. 

9 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Asked and answered...your  words---talking your own point to its death.  No need to remind me--I'm agreeing with you!--the hit IS not illegal, as you said.  Stick with  your convictions!!!!

If that hit is put on Mahomes or Burrow (or Brady) "in 2022" (the topic of this discussion), the overwhelming majority of posters here say it's not a penalty.  They would be correct--this is in contradiction to your first proposition, why change your bet?----stick with your convictions!!!

I said the hit would be fined and flagged If happened today, referenced my two posts above so you couldn’t miss it. Doesn’t matter if it was a shoulder to shoulder hit which is legal contact, it’d still be flagged for unnecessary roughness. But I knew you would lack the conviction to stand on your own words and put this discussion to the test, even if it was with a neutral fanbase. A team of your choosing. I said it earlier, talkers like you shrink when forced to put their argument to the test so run along now. You’re just wasting my time with any other rebuttals that aren’t you backing up your own conviction that the hit which occurred in 2000 still wouldn’t be flagged and fined in 2022. 

Edited by JayBaller10

9 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

You were correct, it was a long read, but it was a very good read. Well written and good insight into what life is like …..”after”.

Thanks for the link. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I said the hit would be fined and flagged If happened today, referenced my two posts above so you couldn’t miss it. Doesn’t matter if it was a shoulder to shoulder hit which is legal contact, it’d still be flagged for unnecessary roughness. But I knew you would lack the conviction to stand on your own words and put this discussion to the test, even if it was with a neutral fanbase. A team of your choosing. I said it earlier, talkers like you shrink when forced to put their argument to the test so run along now. You’re just wasting my time with any other rebuttals that aren’t you backing up your own conviction that the hit which occurred in 2000 still wouldn’t be flagged and fined in 2022. 

why would I help you out of a corner you carelessly painted yourself into?—or ask a bunch of strangers in other sites to help you figure out your point?

Wouldnt it be simpler to just tell us what is illegal  about that hit in 2022?  And tell us how you concluded that the NFL is specifically emphasizing fines for 15 yard penalties, despite all evidence to the contrary.  Stop obfuscating.  Just tell us what is the basis of your position on these 2 points.  Just say it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.