Khalil Shakir / answer for WR 2 / Makes Sports Illustrated

Figster

who has a bigger season?  

181 members have voted

1. 1. who has a bigger season?

2. 2. Does Khalil Shakir eventually become the Bills WR 2?

14 hours ago, Wizard said:

I hope the person that is our #2 next year is not Davis or Shakir because Shakir will be our #3 slot receiver and Davis the 4th receiver on the roster.

I think this is exactly right, and would be ideal. We need a real playmaking WR2. That guy isn't on the roster right now. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What does the interior OL look like?  Is there any day 2 talent at WR?

Interior OL is one of the better groups in the class IMO. No superstar 1st round Q Nelson type.... but plenty of guys who I think can go round 2-4 and be good NFL starters reasonably early. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He doesn't "scream more playing time" to me. He had a REAL issue separating early in the year and learning how to recognise and then sit in zones that make you available to your Quarterback as an NFL receiver. He played against less zone coverage in college and his speed and shiftiness at his level of competition facing lots of man defense meant he was open. In the NFL where it is mainly zone defense he had to learn how you adjust. There was definite progress by the end of the year, so I hope we see that in 2023. 

But anyone who wants to tell me Shakir "deserved" more playing time in 2022 I will refer them to the film. 

As for can he be the Bills WR2.... it depends what you mean by that. Can he play on the outside opposite Diggs? No. Not as any sort of long term proposition. Can he win the slot receiver job and overtake the 2nd outside guy (be that Gabe or someone else) in targets? Yes. Although I'm sceptical that he becomes the 2nd most targeted receiver in 2023. Maybe that is more a 2024 target. 

You're right, he wasn't getting open and that is not something you can just project will change entirely.

He's a work in progress and also kind of a tweener with regard to outside and inside skills.........limitations in both areas........he may never be more than a good 4th receiver option for a top offense.  

But we are at the point of the offseason where fans are getting far enough removed from the actual games played  to start getting delusional about expectations for players who are down the roster.     It only gets worse until camp starts.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Figster said:

Andre Reed was drafted in the 4th round from a small School and yet played all 16 games as a rookie with over 600 yards.  Player development under HC McD is being questioned. I'm fine with showing loyalty to a player / senority to a point. Not when it means slowing the development of a more talented athlete. 

Andre Reed went into his 2nd season 37 years ago.  Appropriate comparisons have left the building.

Any of JSN, Josh Downs or Zay Flowers and I am happy.

15 hours ago, Figster said:

Andre Reed was drafted in the 4th round from a small School and yet played all 16 games as a rookie with over 600 yards.  Player development under HC McD is being questioned. I'm fine with showing loyalty to a player / senority to a point. Not when it means slowing the development of a more talented athlete. 

Gabe Davis had 599 yards as a rookie and I believe led the team in receiving TDs...forgot or did you conveniently leave that out?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Gabe Davis had 599 yards as a rookie and I believe led the team in receiving TDs...forgot or did you conveniently leave that out?

This is right. 

Going into this 1st Round it looks like Hyatt, Smith-Njigba, Flowers, Johnson, Downs, Addison. 

Get one of those players. 

56 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

My memories not he greatest and I'm fine with positives about Davis. Tight hips and lower body will alwys limit Gabe Davis's route running capabilities IMO. Limitions Shakir does not have IMO. Both Davis and Knox run a 4.5 or above forty. Shakir is faster then Knox, Davis and Diggs. 

9 hours ago, Figster said:

Knox probably deserved to be on the poll.

Myself personally, Shakirs a better route runner then both of them IMO. I think Shakir can get better seperation then both of them. I also think Shakir can high point a football better then both of them IMO. 

Knox is 5 inches taller than Shakir. No idea what you mean better at high point of the football??  Knox catch radius is far greater than Shakir. Go watch Bills first TD in playoff game versus Pats.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We need to do what we did last year and bring in a solid vet to be wide receiver number two push Gabe Davis to number three and hope that Shakir shows enough to be the starting slot and wide receiver number four

In the end, I think that’s where we screwed up this year. Gabe Davis wasn’t ready to make the transition to be the number two receiver yet we should’ve had a veteran in front of him even if it was an older veteran.

I don't get the Gabe hate. Playoff record in K.C.?  Titans game this year? Wasn't he dealing with calf/ankle issues for most of the year? I have plenty of faith in Gabe. I'm still pissed they let Dabol swipe Hodgins, but Gabe will have a better year next year. Should they stop trying to get elite talent?, no. I would rather have Pickens than James Cook, ( if that possibly could have happened) but I'm just a lowly fan of almost 50 years.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I tend to not buy the "he would have done zyz if only he had the chance". There is usually a reason and its not like he was sitting behind a ton of guys. We were so light at WR that we signed Brown and Beasley. Its more likely he is not good enough yet and may never be more than a jag. Could have a decent game here or there or could not be dressing for games. Very unlikely he is a #2 on a playoff team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Knox is 5 inches taller than Shakir. No idea what you mean better at high point of the football??  Knox catch radius is far greater than Shakir. Go watch Bills first TD in playoff game versus Pats.

Good point on the catch radius of Knox although being taller doesn't necessarily mean you high point a football better IMO. 

Fair enough...

7 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I don't get the Gabe hate. Playoff record in K.C.?  Titans game this year? Wasn't he dealing with calf/ankle issues for most of the year? I have plenty of faith in Gabe. I'm still pissed they let Dabol swipe Hodgins, but Gabe will have a better year next year. Should they stop trying to get elite talent?, no. I would rather have Pickens than James Cook, ( if that possibly could have happened) but I'm just a lowly fan of almost 50 years.

Hate? If you look at he poll from Bills Mafia at the beginning of the thread TBD is showing its love for Gabe Davis IMO.

23 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I don't because he doesn't have elite traits. 

He runs two routes - the go and the comeback off the go, and he drops the ball. 

He's not going to become nimble, or fast enough to be significant (sub-4.45)

There is more too it than just Gabe:

1. Allen is in his prime right now

2. Stefon Diggs isn't going to be at his apex forever 

3. Slot was an absolute mess with McKenzie, Shakir and Beasley - none of them holding down that position

4. Numbers are going to matter as Kumerow, Beasley, Brown, Crowder are all FAs. 

I think the lesson from 2022 was you can't just bank on organic development, Allen needs more elite talent. 

Beane added Diggs and stopped. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Figster said:

On a side note heres someone to keep your eye on at WR in the upcoming draft. 

Until he runs a 4.31. 

Then magically all the GMs that saw the Combine is mostly for the medicals, will suddenly start talking about his elite speed. 

Then all of the sudden, Hyatt will be in the upper 1/2 of the first round. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Until he runs a 4.31. 

Then magically all the GMs that saw the Combine is mostly for the medicals, will suddenly start talking about his elite speed. 

Then all of the sudden, Hyatt will be in the upper 1/2 of the first round. 

This cat can flat out fly. I told myself I wouldn't get excited about a high round WR in the upcoming draft. Last guy I had my hopes on in Tee Higgins went to the team that kicked our ass in the playoffs. 

Well I am...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.