Buscaglia: Both Bills Coordinators are likely to be back in 2023

JohnNord

13 hours ago, JohnNord said:

To be fair though, he had the same starting 5 last season and they seemed to regress.  Not sure if that’s on him but our like played worse this season 

Not Saffold. But your point stands, I think. For a short while in the early middle of the season things seemed to come together and be improving and it looked a bit the way the 2021 line came together. Then they seemed to regress, particularly at RT. Is it an injury? Who knows, but they didn't improve this year. 

Kromer has a great reputation, but something resulted in the line not getting much better. And Saffold was apparently a Kromer guy and he was not a good pickup.

It's always harder to tell whether the problem is players or coaches than fans want to admit. From outside the building a lot of times it's very hard indeed. But something was wrong there. Hope they'll get serious about drafting some young talent fairly high this year at OL.

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Sounds like McD has at least 2 seasons left as head coach after next season we will fire Frazier and Dorsey and Babitch and Brady will take over . Once we lose again in the 2024 playoffs The Pegulas will realize Mcd is not the answer and he will be fired. 

Sure, there's probably a 1% chance that it all happens like that. But kid yourself you can tell the future if you want.

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not Saffold. But your point stands, I think. For a short while in the early middle of the season things seemed to come together and be improving and it looked a bit the way the 2021 line came together. Then they seemed to regress, particularly at RT. Is it an injury? Who knows, but they didn't improve this year. 

Kromer has a great reputation, but something resulted in the line not getting much better. And Saffold was apparently a Kromer guy and he was not a good pickup.

It's always harder to tell whether the problem is players or coaches than fans want to admit. From outside the building a lot of times it's very hard indeed. But something was wrong there. Hope they'll get serious about drafting some young talent fairly high this year at OL.

Saffold got worse as the season went on. When he said they were out of gas, I believe he was talking about himself.  An O-line is like dominos.  If one guy is struggling, it's going to impact the rest of the line because they have to compensate for the weak spot.  

He was just getting abused later in the season and in the Cincy game, was made to look absolutely foolish to the point I was embarrassed for him. He said he wants to stay in Buffalo.  Unless it's as a backup at the vet min, hard pass.  He didn't come close to earning the $6 million we paid him to come here.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 2

I am actually not upset with no changes from a logical standpoint. These guys built us into a 13 win team. The chances of making a major move and getting worse are high. 

I am concerned that the roster feels to be at a tipping point, and if we run it back there is a chance they lose the roster at some point this year. And at that point you have to blow the thing up. Where just a single change in OC, DC, or even GM could help reset internal belief. For the first time the FO sounds like all questions, no answers. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Letting Saffold walk, would be a big step in the right direction.

I think he's a free agent.  Either way, an even bigger step would be for Beane to quit trying to stock our OL from the league's budget bargain bin in free-agency.  

Would love to see a C and an OT in rounds 1 & 2.  Honestly, if he drafts another DE/DL or DB ...  

Morse isn't long for the game with 6 concussions and being a Center now in his back-9.  He's currently the glue that holds the line together.  He was injury prone before he got here, he missed a few this season.  It would be unwise to count on him at this point.  

Would love to see them make a move for Patterson, even if it's a slight reach.  He could play G until Morse can't play C anymore.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bandito said:

The point is the Bills O and D were both trash that game. It was more the O's fault though

Disagree.  We were facing a team with 3/5 of the starting O-line out and we got manhandled.  A D-Line should be licking their chops to know they're facing an offense in that kind of situation.  

The offense struggling was no big surprise. We've seen this offense do this since the 2nd half of the Packers game.  When Diggs is our only real threat at receiver and Josh can't get him the ball, that's what's going to happen.  

You're saying the offense should've been able to win a shootout with them, even though it's obvious their offense has more legit weapons, and our defense had no answer.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

28 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Not every player will turn from chicken ***** to chicken salad.  Also easier on a defense that knows what we are running all the time.  I would say our run game looked better this year.  That has to do with line play as well.

The Bills are going into next season with Spencer Brown at RT. He has underwhemled at that position since he's been there. Certainly, a big question mark going into next season. The Bills are going into next season hoping he improves. That's not an ideal situation.

Seems like that's the theme of next season with several guys. That mindset certainly hurt the Bills passing game this year as Gabe, McKenzie, and Shakir underperformed for various reasons. 

14 hours ago, JohnNord said:

To be fair though, he had the same starting 5 last season and they seemed to regress.  Not sure if that’s on him but our like played worse this season 

We didn’t have Saffold who seems worse than Williams at G last year. Spencer Brown also looked worse to me. He had off-season back surgery and didn’t have any training camp. For a big guy like him that can be a career killer.

Idk if it’s on Kromer or Dorsey, but we only seemed to have like 2 running plays. Maybe get creative and add a few more for next year to make things more difficult for the opposing team.

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am actually not upset with no changes from a logical standpoint. These guys built us into a 13 win team. The chances of making a major move and getting worse are high. 

I am concerned that the roster feels to be at a tipping point, and if we run it back there is a chance they lose the roster at some point this year. And at that point you have to blow the thing up. Where just a single change in OC, DC, or even GM could help reset internal belief. For the first time the FO sounds like all questions, no answers. 

This.  The scars from 13 seconds and that ass beating on Sunday aren’t going away.  Your All Pro WR is almost certainly not the only guy on the team who is questioning things.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

I wondered if their attempts to “help” Dorsey, actually made it worse.  Brady, an experienced play caller, was brought in as QB coach, so you had a rookie OC over a veteran.  Then, they brought in Mike Shula as a consultant.  Could there then have been too man6 opinions and voices for Josh?

I have wondered the same thing, but about Dorsey.  Especially toss in that Mike Shula was Dorsey's boss in Carolina, the OC while Dorsey was QB coach.  I can't imagine a scenario where it would be comfortable to step up to a new lead role with my former boss of 5 years sitting at the side of the table.  IF Dorsey had a clear vision for the offense, did it suffer from having too many people with their fingers in the pot.  Were Dorsey's efforts diluted by having to align 4 or more viewpoints before he could move forward?

12 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

I understand the defensive DVOA and missing starters argument 

But so was Bengals offense 

injuries are part of the game 

Accountability doesn’t make excuses and there needs to be accountability for the playoff failures as well as our slow starts in the first quarter 

It’s almost like we take no time during the week to game plan. 

Agreed.  The concern should be Allen getting injured.  I mean how long can he play with a below-average OL, taking the hits he takes, unnecessarily because McBeane won't protect him properly.  We've been fortunate to this point.  

If that happens, there's zero chance of much of anything besides finishing in the basement of the East for who knows, what, another 20 years.  They broke the mold on Allen, we'd be lucky to get another great pocket passer, and a pocket passer would not fare well behind our O-Line w/o any semblance of a reliable running game.  I mean seriously, who sees us as anything but a 5-12 (or so) team if Allen's not the QB.  Subtracting the one-possession games alone that we won would have put us at 7-9 this season and behind the Jets who would have been 8-9.  

Allen is unique, I feel bad for him as he has to unreasonably shoulder just about everything associated with this team, and has to overcome poor coaching, poor game-planning, poor protection, the lack of even an average running game apart from himself, poor defense at times, etc.  

Without Allen, our rushing game ranks 2nd-to-Last in both yards and rushing TDs.  

I don't see any QB, including Allen, having much more than a brief career having to play like that every season as he's had to do.  I don't see how it's possible that he plays like that after years of getting hammered once he exits his prime, which is what, a few short years from now and shortly after the new stadium is built, ... if they ever get off their duffs and get it going.  

Underlying your point seems to be the notion that McBeane are content to get all that they can out of Allen without much regard to his future beyond his prime years.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

I didn't have a problem with the Saffold signing. But it was clear as day, to anyone who watches football how horrible he was, and they never made any effort to replace him at all. I know their depth wasn't great, but their was no attempt. Is Van Roten better? I dunno. Ike Boettger when he came back? At this point yeah. They got rid of Quentin Spain quick and should have replaced Saffold in the same manner. 

Another weird thing to me, why put the two most inexperienced linemen on the line next to each other on the right? I mean stick Bates between Dawkins and Morse and Saffold/Van Roten next to Brown. 

The whole process around Saffold was weird and illogical. 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This.  The scars from 13 seconds and that ass beating on Sunday aren’t going away.  Your All Pro WR is almost certainly not the only guy on the team who is questioning things.  

I think Diggs acting the way he did on the filed questioning his QB or OC so publicly (again), not coming back to address the team or the fans the next day, then doubling down on it via twitter, opens up a lot of doors for dissention. Whether I like Diggs as a leader is irrelevant, he is elected captain by his peers on the team. Teammates will fall in line behind him on this. If they struggle next year those numbers grow, and we are in full reset mode. 

That is the way this stuff works. 

??

Starting OL last season:

Dawkins-Feliciano-Morse-Williams-Brown

Dawkins-Boettger-Morse-Williams-Brown

Dawkins-Bates-Morse-Williams-Brown

We moved on from Williams, added Saffold, and moved Bates from LG to RG

This season

Dawkins-Saffold-Morse-Bates-Brown

Effectively different at 2/5 positions

We started the season with a run blocking scheme I don't think we could actually run effectively

Saffold IMHO was a pass blocking disaster at LG.  A mauler in the run game at times, but I think Dawkins worked better with Bates next to him.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

McD - coaches players; hires coordinators and coaches

Beane - brings in players; runs the draft

This isn’t 2016 anymore.  If there are no key injuries and this team takes steps back next year I’m 1000% fine with firing Beane and getting a GM to get a fresh look at everything especially as my QB will begin to enter his age 28 season in 2024.  

Which means the Coach will be fired.  

My problem is Beane.  And if you fire Beane you’re looking at a new coach.  

This is a tough business they tell the players who’s jobs are never safe all the time. 

You get 10 years if you win a Super Bowl.  

We’ve been to 1 AFC Championship game 2 seasons ago now.  

Players will tune out eventually.  And we haven’t developed enough of them the last 4 years - our roster is still being driven by Allen, Hyde, Poyer, Milano, Edmonds, Dawkins, Morse, White, and Diggs.  All the guys mentioned came in before the 2020 season.  There isn’t one other player that you’d say “we need that guy or we’re in trouble.”  

But if one of those guys is out, it’s chaos.  That speaks poorly to the GM and the coaches.  

Our roster is inferior to the Eagles, Bengals, Dolphins, Browns, Chargers, 49ers, and maybe even the Ravens.  But we have Josh so it’s cool.  

But all that said.  I think this team can still be better next year but it absolutely has to 

1.  Improve the oline significantly 

2. Get another WR

3. Get a Safety 

4. Resign Edmonds 

5. Get an NFL Running back.  

They've got three NFL running backs.

There really are a few other guys they need or we're in trouble. Von Miller, for one. Daquan Jones for another. And the offense looked significantly worse when Gabe Davis was fighting through his injury.

And it's just not true that if we lose only one of those guys it's a disaster. At one point we had six out of our eleven defensive starters not playing. A few came back, but a few more went out. This was a horrible year for injuries.

Also disagree that our roster was so far below all those other teams. Generally people have said that our lineup, when healthy, which it rarely was, was one of the top two or three in the league. A bunch of injuries and some OL regression left that a thing of the past.

But I agree with the rest of your post. 

https://theathletic.com/4128667/2023/01/26/buffalo-bills-offseason-coaches/?source=user_shared_article

Leslie Frazier:

Mentions there is heat on Frazier after the playoff loss, but that he was missing a key starter in Jones.  With injuries to Hyde, Miller and White, the Bills defense still finished 4th in DVOA.  

So we can't really blame Frazier, but. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . we can fire the Safeties coach ?

0L6p36m9-300x300.jpg

• Haha (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills are going into next season with Spencer Brown at RT. He has underwhemled at that position since he's been there. Certainly, a big question mark going into next season. The Bills are going into next season hoping he improves. That's not an ideal situation.

Seems like that's the theme of next season with several guys. That mindset certainly hurt the Bills passing game this year as Gabe, McKenzie, and Shakir underperformed for various reasons. 

So far, the vibes I'm getting are they don't see many big issues and are content with running it back.

Getting rid of the safeties coach and possibly Kromer isn't any meaningful change. 

We still have to see what happens in the draft, but with what I've seen and heard so far, next season scares the s*** out of me.

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

So we can't really blame Frazier, but. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . we can fire the Safeties coach ?

0L6p36m9-300x300.jpg

Yes, we sacrifice the guy coaching the position where we were missing one all-pro almost all season and the other all-pro was playing hurt all year.

Make it make sense.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.