Frank Reich named new Head Coach of Panthers

Draconator

26 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don't get the hype. Maybe he is a good coach, even great, but I don't know where anybody would draw that from. 

His 2 years in San Diego his offenses were bad. 
He didn't call the plays in Philly. And 2016 Carson Wentz was meh.
When given the opportunity to make something of Carson Wentz without Pederson it flopped. 

He got 4.8 ypc out of Zach Moss, so maybe he would be an upgrade?

Didn’t know about not calling plays.

Had three of 4 winning full seasons with Indy with a different QB every year. 
    Showed the ability to create an amazing rushing attack which almost beat us in the playoffs ,except for some questionable Reich decisions and Rivers falling apart on last drive.

He is a legit coach. We shall see.

56 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

He's going to need a Defensive Coordinator...

:devil:

image.png.55f636f765c5eef3f3bce8337c707021.png

I'll even come up from Florida to help him pack.

37 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I was hoping we would have at least spoken to him !

I honestly don't think they are going to talk to anyone.  All indications I've seen are that Dorsey's job is safe for at least another year.  We might make a move with DC, but not likely with the OC.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Didn’t know about not calling plays.

Had three of 4 winning full seasons with Indy with a different QB every year. 
    Showed the ability to create an amazing rushing attack which almost beat us in the playoffs ,except for some questionable Reich decisions and Rivers falling apart on last drive.

He is a legit coach. We shall see.

I think he is likely a good coach to come in and stabilize an organization. But I think the super high praise as an OC or HC candidate is largely hometown driven.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Having one really bad season with a string of washed-up QBs and a lunatic owner wouldn't exactly classify as running a team into the ground. 

Turning the premier offensive line in football into one of the worst ones assuredly would tho...especially when you have All-World G Quentin Nelson healthy.

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Turning the premier offensive line in football into one of the worst ones assuredly would tho...especially when you have All-World G Quentin Nelson healthy.

It's the QB that makes the offensive line great. A bad QB makes the o-line not as good. Name one good, not great QB since Luck in Indy

19 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Frank had top-10 offenses for many of his years with recycled QBs:

Year.    Rank.   PPG.

2018 –  5th –   27.1 (Luck)

2019 –  16th – 22.6 (Brissett)

2020 – 9th –   28.2 (Rivers)

2021 – 9th –    26.5 (Wentz)

2022 – 30th – 16.1 (Ryan)

he did a decent amount with admittedly very little at QB. Hopefully he can get his guy and find some success down there

I mean, he traded a first and a third for Carson Wentz.  His only other swings at QB were Eason and Ehlinger. 

The big one for me as an OC is that he had an opportunity to revive Wentz and it flopped without Pederson. That to me says that Pederson was the secret sauce not Frank. 

27 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I did not expect this. I thought Reich would be an OC for another team before he got a new head coaching gig.

Good for him.

Charlotte or Buffalo were the two most logical landing spots. I have unintentionally pooped on him up thread. I think he is a good stable coach, but not a game changer. He likely has more "hometown hype" than anything else at this point. 

Reich planted roots in Charlotte. He got a degree in theology there and was pastor at a local church until he was hired in Indianapolis. 

Throughout Reich's NFL career, he remained a devout Christian. He is a motivational speaker utilizing the great comebacks and the importance of God as a main keynote of his speeches. He credits the song "In Christ Alone" by Michael English as his inspiration. Reich attended the Charlotte Campus of Reformed Theological Seminary in Charlotte[33] and he earned a Master of Divinity degree. He served as president of RTS' Charlotte campus from 2003 to 2006.[34] Reich was also a pastor at Ballantyne Presbyterian until he moved to Indianapolis.[35]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Reich

16 minutes ago, Draconator said:

It's the QB that makes the offensive line great. A bad QB makes the o-line not as good. Name one good, not great QB since Luck in Indy

To a degree but their pass protection would never really even let you see what you have. They were every bit as bad as the Bills if not worse.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

I did not expect this. I thought Reich would be an OC for another team before he got a new head coaching gig.

Good for him.

I think when teams flop on a young first time coach they kinda gravitate towards a more experienced coach next time around.  I’m not shocked at all by this hire. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

I'll even come up from Florida to help him pack.

I honestly don't think they are going to talk to anyone.  All indications I've seen are that Dorsey's job is safe for at least another year.  We might make a move with DC, but not likely with the OC.

I hope you are incorrect here. Some changes need to be made. But which ones ? 
 Dorsey did Not show growth through out this season, and more so to finish out

4 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I hope you are incorrect here. Some changes need to be made. But which ones ? 
 Dorsey did Not show growth through out this season, and more so to finish out

If you happened to listen to Beane's and McD's pressers, the takeaway for me regarding Dorsey was that his job is safe.  That's just my opinion based on what they said, but that's the feeling I got from both.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

Having one really bad season with a string of washed-up QBs and a lunatic owner wouldn't exactly classify as running a team into the ground. 

His QBs in CArolina are Mayfield and Darnold.

Plus, he was the HC when those "washed up QB" decisions were made---one after another. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.