Mt. Rushmore of 90s Bands

BillsPride12

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Good band but only possibly MR worthy because they're from Buffalo.

Again, Buffalo aside, you should really revisit the dominance they had in the late 90s spilling over into 00s. MTV is not Buffalo radio. City of Angels is not a Buffalo movie, nor was treasure Island. They were the band that epitomized the late 90s. Coincidentally, they were from Buffalo. 

Just now, SDS said:

Again, Buffalo aside, you should really revisit the dominance they had in the late 90s spilling over into 00s. MTV is not Buffalo radio. City of Angels is not a Buffalo movie, nor was treasure Island. They were the band that epitomized the late 90s. Coincidentally, they were from Buffalo. 

I was well on top of the 90's music scene.  It was the soundtrack of med school and residency for me.  

GGD were a really good band and best of all were from Buffalo.  Iris is an amazing song and is perfect for CoA.  But their time was fleeting and limited mainly to the late 90's.  They sold 7.5M albums while a band like Soundgarden sold 14M without having their songs featured in movies.  That's why I can't put them on the MR of the 90's without feeling like a homer.  But hey, that's just me.

23 minutes ago, SDS said:

They epitomized pop rock of the time. They did nothing influential.

Goo Goo Dolls were a significant contributor to 90s music, but I don't think they're in the MR discussion.

They're still very much in demand, as they embark on a 2023 world tour playing arenas/amphitheaters that hold 17k+ people. 

milli vannili?

on a serious note I did not see/hear any bands that would classify as MR bands. of course this is coming from a different generation where as bias as it may sound the '90s did not reach the MR level of those bands from the 60s/70s. not saying some of the music wasn't tolerable or that I didn't like some of the '90s music. off the top of my head a couple bands come to mind that I even bought their cd. 

counting crows and the band from athens georgia, collective soul.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

milli vannili?

on a serious note I did not see/hear any bands that would classify as MR bands. of course this is coming from a different generation where as bias as it may sound the '90s did not reach the MR level of those bands from the 60s/70s. not saying some of the music wasn't tolerable or that I didn't like some of the '90s music. off the top of my head a couple bands come to mind that I even bought their cd. 

It would've been easier to say "Please discount any thoughts I have on this subject"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

It's about as possible to nail down 4 bands which define 90's music as it is to define the 60's by 4 bands.  It's all taste in how you define something, maybe something more ethereal and feelings and emotions.  

The Mt. Rushmore to me has to start with

For anyone watching MTV the moment that video was played... Everything 80's was GONE.   All the New Wave was no longer relevant and EVERY Hair-Metal band on the planet, simultaneously, shat their collective pants because they knew their careers were... OVER.  F%#^Ing OVER.  It was a *^+=ing glorious day... literally 5 minutes that changed everything.

For me, number 2 that defined 'The 90's' was this band- something about their sound that set the stage for everything to come.  Mascis set a 90's soundstage earlier, but this later pop hit was the most accessible  (I do love this song and totally miss the way the air felt when it came out- I really hope there'e something unifying like this, some undefinable feeling of sound, purpose, or maybe just a fashion statement like Dr. Marten's, I dunno... something for the current and upcoming younger folks to make then feel like we're all in this together in our own oddball and unique ways:

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Back by popular request, I'll motor on. There's a choice between a literal s%^*-ton of bands which rose to produce some magnificent music in the 1980's, but found a widespread audience in the 90's.  I'm going Nick Cave- both Magnificently 90's, and timeless. 

"But how can you old people listen to music that doesn't say, "you're beautiful" in every verse??

Well, that's a good question, SaraJonnie.  We were ignorant back then.  

4th and goal to go- this is a great piece of the 90's.  What the #%^* led to a generation of music actually LESS challenging to the music of the predecessors is beyond me:

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/9/2023 at 7:46 AM, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

milli vannili?

That's like me saying Herman's Hermits was the pinnacle of 60's rock.  Though Mrs. Brown  does have a lovely daughter.  

On 1/27/2023 at 11:31 AM, Logic said:

My story mirrors yours, except with Pearl Jam.

Grew up listening to The Beatles, Elvis, Neil Young, and the Who. Lost my Dad at age 13. Overtaken with grief. Pulled my hood up, put my headphones on, and retreated into my own little world. Just about that time, I discovered Pearl Jam, and like you say, it was the first music that was MINE. And Eddie lost his Dad around the same age, and his music...really A LOT of the music of that era...was speaking directly to me. It was like it was written for me specifically.

While I was lost in Pearl Jam land, my brother Joe was a monstrous Nirvana fan. He grew his hair out like Kurt, dressed like him, formed a Nirvana cover band called "Sliver". He bought all the b-sides and imports and magazines and VHS's from those old record stores in the malls. Through him, I wound up hearing and learning by heart just about every Nirvana tune. I don't listen as much to them these days, with the exception of Unplugged in NY, because my musical tastes have mellowed out a bit over the years.

Kurt was such a sweet, vulnerable, gentle soul. Heavier Than Heaven is possibly the best biography I've ever read, and I love biographies. It IS, well...heavy, though. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I don’t have a lot to offer on this thread, my screen name might indicate I’m a bit older than you and @thenorthremembers.  I was working, having fun with a few bucks in my pocket and only a few years out from starting a family of my own when the 90s started.  I have virtually no understanding of the devotion to Nirvana, pretty much bypass any music they produced when given the opportunity, and see the life of Kurt Cobain as just another tragic story of a troubled artist and rock and roll.  None of it connects with me, which in the end, sort of is the point about genre and timing.  

What I do know, though, is the connection between music/pain/loss.  Your story, and North’s as well, hits me on that level.  The ability to connect with music in times of loss, that help you in some way deal with what you’re going through—especially at a young age—is what makes any of it Mt. Rushmore worthy. 

My father passed away right around the time some of these bands were gaining traction, but music helped me get through all of that dreadful time.  There were songs that hit me right in the heart and still do.  

Thanks for sharing, and truly, I’m sorry you both had to go through all that at such a young age, but it’s awesome the music helped you deal with it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

a band I only quite recently Really listened to in depth was the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Of course I'd heard them on mainstream radio. They've had a multitude of hits. But just now I was prerusing youtube and saw This clip. I liked it a lot.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I don’t have a lot to offer on this thread, my screen name might indicate I’m a bit older than you and @thenorthremembers.  I was working, having fun with a few bucks in my pocket and only a few years out from starting a family of my own when the 90s started.  I have virtually no understanding of the devotion to Nirvana, pretty much bypass any music they produced when given the opportunity, and see the life of Kurt Cobain as just another tragic story of a troubled artist and rock and roll.  None of it connects with me, which in the end, sort of is the point about genre and timing.  

What I do know, though, is the connection between music/pain/loss.  Your story, and North’s as well, hits me on that level.  The ability to connect with music in times of loss, that help you in some way deal with what you’re going through—especially at a young age—is what makes any of it Mt. Rushmore worthy. 

My father passed away right around the time some of these bands were gaining traction, but music helped me get through all of that dreadful time.  There were songs that hit me right in the heart and still do.  

Thanks for sharing, and truly, I’m sorry you both had to go through all that at such a young age, but it’s awesome the music helped you deal with it. 

One of my fondest memories of my Father is him turning on a scrambled pay per view of the Skynyrd reunion when Johnny first became the lead singer.   We couldn't afford to buy it but he sat in his armchair and listened with tears in his eyes.  Skynyrd was that big of a deal to him.  

Thank you for sharing your story.  Cheers brother!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/12/2023 at 10:25 AM, Another Fan said:

Smashing Pumpkins

Oasis

The Offspring

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones 

Spice Girls (I guess they are more a group per say.  But when I was young I thought Posh and Ginger were hot.  And I grew up to like their music.  They just seem like very 90s)

That's 5....

Maybe just leave off the Might Mighty Bosstones

I love that 90's bands mean so many things to different people.  What I was listening to mainly during the 90's was Disney and other VHS videos. Sesame Street and Classic Rock radio stations on my FM dial while running carpools to soccer practice and cub scout meetings. It wasnt until they got older and sounds began coming from their bedrooms...the one classical and Broadway the other punk rock and grunge. My own interests broadened in those areas.

As it would happen both my kids ended up at one point or another being professional musicians. Son in an indie rock band. My daughter opera and now cabaret. She has a show upcoming 3/28 here in san diego.. "Part of your World" which chronicles her musical path while being on the autitism spectrum

www.KatrinaAguilarMusic.com

katrina.jpg

• Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.