Assemble your new staff

RyanC883

Assume that you own the Bills, and want to assemble a new staff (if you like the current one, that's fine, no need to respond to this thread).  Who would you have at GM, HC, OC, and DC.  You can keep some of the current guys, but have to replace at least one.  

I'll start: 

GM: Bean.  "What, but you hate his picks."  I do, but I think his picks are too influenced by McD.  That said, I would interrogate the heck out of him, particularly what changes he will make to draft process, so we stop drafting for need over BPA.  If I made a change, I'm taking DeCosta from the Ravens.  

HC:  Shane Steichen--OC Eagles (worked with both Hibberts and Hurts.  Eagles' offense is fantastic with an all-around attack of defenses)  

OC: whoever Steichen wants.  Even keeping Dorsey is an option here in that Steichen could likely fix him/take over playcalling.  

DC: Jerod Mayo--Pats LB Coach or Brian Flores--PIT Assist DC.  Would only be here a minute, and his NFL litigation is absurd, but whatever, he can coach D.  

Interested in the ideas of others! 

• Like (+1) 1

I’d keep McD 

Fire Frazier and Dorsey.

Hire Fangio @ DC

Hire Reich @ OC

Yes, I realize that will never happen.  

Ben Johnson is intriguing.  I don’t know anything about the guy other than he called a great offense this year behind one of the best OLs in the league.  Can he lead a team?  Or is he Norv Turner v230584.0

• Agree 2

Beane stays, but it’s clear you need an offensive minded head coach to advance in the playoffs.  Daboll was a huge loss.  Hire the best offensive minded guy available as head coach.  Don’t really care about DC.  Just somebody that ain’t gonna choke in 13 seconds and plays a more aggressive brand of defense.  

There are very few teams I would say this for. But I make exceptions for the Bills and Ravens. I think Eric Bieniemy would be a fantastic coach at both places. I get the skepticism that he's a product of Andy and Mahomes. But he was highly regarded before then. He can coach the s*** out of the run game. He will coach a team that is disciplined and physically tough. He would construct an offense built around the run while maximizing Josh Allen's specific skill set, and allow him to shine in the pass game. I really think he would be a great fit in Buffalo. 

Why it won't happen: Buffalo isn't firing McDermott, and KC would get two free 3rd round compensatory picks. 

I hate to say it but nobody is getting fired.  Perhaps they will make some changes to the position coaches but likely gm, head coach and coordinators will stay put for one more year and then material changes will be made if they don’t improve in 2023.  

I think if it was any other year, McD would definitely feel the heat from his seat, but after this tumultuous season he’s safe. Beane even felt he should’ve been named coach of the year. With that said, his defensive approach absolutely has to change, no more soft zone reactionary defenses. They depend too much on the defensive line winning its battles. Get me someone who has a history of scheming his players and getting the most out of whatever little they have. I like Vic Fangio most. On offense I’m willing to give Dorsey another year. He had his faults at times, but was also a rookie coordinator. The thinking is that he can only get better from here. If we go HC after another McD failure next year, I’m all for an offensive coach. Like Simms says, you’d have three layers - HC, OC, and QB coach, three minds to maximize offensive scheme.

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm on board with retaining Beane, and going from there.

Wouldn't mind seeing McDermott, and both coordinators replaced. 

I'd prefer the HC to be an offensive guy, like the rest of the league's good teams.

Beane simply picks who McDermott wants. I'm giving Brandon another chance. Hire Frank as your HC and find a good dynamic OC who will rebuild our OL.  Flores as DC. Scrub the Tampa 2 zone and play 50% man.

It’s not going to be popular but my dream offense all along for Josh, is Super Bowl panthers. I want Mike Shula to take this offense where that team was. Josh is better than Cam and I want to see that recreation with our talent. I think that’s how you unlock the most from Josh. Won’t happen…that’s what I want. Defense? I want anyone but Leslie 

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm on board with retaining Beane, and going from there.

Wouldn't mind seeing McDermott, and both coordinators replaced. 

I'd prefer the HC to be an offensive guy, like the rest of the league's good teams.

I'm intrigued by Ben Johnson, but can anyone see Pegula making a change at HC? It won't happen, so the best feasible outcome is changing coordinators. At minimum, we need to bring in someone less conservative and reactive to run the D.

Edited by Dr. Who

12 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Beane stays, but it’s clear you need an offensive minded head coach to advance in the playoffs.  Daboll was a huge loss.  Hire the best offensive minded guy available as head coach.  Don’t really care about DC.  Just somebody that ain’t gonna choke in 13 seconds and plays a more aggressive brand of defense.  

We need an aggressive DC paired with an Offensive minded HC, because at the end of the day, we will never have a Defense as loaded with high picks/FA's as this team entered the season with as long as Josh Allen is here.  

The Defense needs to transition to big play defense that will give up big plays from time to time as well.  Clear out some of these "good, not great" contracts and pour that money into a potential difference maker, then fill in around them.   Is there a monster DT available that we could pair with Von for the next two years?  Would probably be worth sacrificing Edmunds and cutting/trading anyone on the Defense not named Matt Milano, Von Miller, Daquan Jones or Micah Hyde for the '23 season. 

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

I think if it was any other year, McD would definitely feel the heat from his seat, but after this tumultuous season he’s safe. Beane even felt he should’ve been named coach of the year. With that said, his defensive approach absolutely has to change, no more soft zone reactionary defenses. They depend too much on the defensive line winning its battles. Get me someone who has a history of scheming his players and getting the most out of whatever little they have. I like Vic Fangio most. On offense I’m willing to give Dorsey another year. He had his faults at times, but was also a rookie coordinator. The thinking is that he can only get better from here. If we go HC after another McD failure next year, I’m all for an offensive coach. Like Simms says, you’d have three layers - HC, OC, and QB coach, three minds to maximize offensive scheme.

I can't fire dorsey based off of one game.  I hated the gameplan, and the team played terrible.  But they played a tough schedule, won 13 games, and had a top level offense.  I think we lacked some identity as the season wore on, and they need to be able to counter more effectively. 

I'd like to see them bring in an experienced coach to help as well, ideally someone maybe from outside the panthers tree.  Pat Shurmur maybe.  Need a different perspective, someone to help with run game coordination and just generally creating a bit more of a balance.  Dorsey and Brady both seem to be a bit pass happy.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.