Diggs vs. Josh: Sideline Disagreement?

Nextmanup

Teams have been doubling Diggs since the GB game and forcing the Bills to beat them with everyone else. 

It wasn’t really a disagreement either, it was just Diggs crying about not getting the ball. We seen it before, we’ll see it again.

Edited by BananaB

15 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

They’ll get over it.  It’s not like Josh was intentionally ignoring Stefon.  I don’t think he had enough time to even think and throw effectively with his offensive line and the plays called.

Not so sure about the "They'll get over it" remark.  This has been ongoing for much of the season.  He no longer seems to think that Josh is "his guy".  Diggs wants to win a championship now.  Once Diggs has some time to reflect on the season and his time in Buffalo, I think he'll feel the same way he does now.  I can see Diggs requesting a trade.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Josh is way down on the list of problems yesterday, but he wasn’t good.  

Missed Diggs early on a big play and then threw a bunch of no-chance balls deep to him. 

More fire.   I’d applaud Diggs if he took a flamethrower to the team … someone needs to do it.  

Maybe if players speak up, our owner will be moved to make some tough decisions. 

He has that famous AFC CG picture in KC, and two years in a row, we’ve gone backwards.  How do you think he should feel?

If you’re talking about the deep shot on the first series that wasn’t much of a miss.  It was a bad weather throw that had to be made on a line way, way downfield lest the safety either intercept the ball or destroy Diggs.  If that miss is the complaint I don’t know what to say.  It was right in front of me, and I thought it *might* have been a TD if Allen is on the money because I thought Diggs *might* have slipped past the safety based on the angle.  But that was a really, really difficult throw. 

33 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Teams have been doubling Diggs since the GB game and forcing the Bills to beat them with everyone else. 

It wasn’t really a disagreement either, it was just Diggs crying about not getting the ball. We seen it before, we’ll see it again.

I wonder if Diggs is one of the guys who thinks the coaching staff doesn’t have it.  (This was mentioned by a longtime poster on another thread.)  Many signs seem to point in that direction. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, BananaB said:

I think his issue is he sees chase/jefferson/kupp etc.  get schemed open.  

• Like (+1) 4

In the past, too much has been made of Diggs' outbursts. Especially since he was right as in those times the gameplan (and Josh) were ignoring him, and he has proven that he delivers when called upon. But yesterday? It sucked. He should have done that way earlier in the game. At this stage, it was just yet other bad element of that meltdown that could leave lasting scars. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Don’t think so, otherwise he’d be yelling at Dorsey and not his QB on the sideline. It’s Josh’s job to get the ball to him and Diggs obviously felt like that wasn’t happening yesterday. I saw Diggs open quite a few times but the two couldn’t connect more often than not. Frustration boiled over and there you have it. 

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

Don’t think so, otherwise he’d be yelling at Dorsey and not his QB on the sideline. It’s Josh’s job to get the ball to him and Diggs obviously felt like that wasn’t happening yesterday. I saw Diggs open quite a few times but the two couldn’t connect more often than not. Frustration boiled over and there you have it. 

Hows he gonna yell at dorsey...? 

Just now, JayBaller10 said:

Pick up the phone they use to talk to the booth coordinators. His frustration was not aimed at Dorsey as he yelled at JOSH on the sideline. 

I wouldn't look into it too much.  Much like how this board is devolved into everyone wanting to fire everyone, in the heat of the moment he was upset and angry.  Allen was trying to ignore it to stay focused on what he can control.  

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

This point was really stressed hard this morning at GR-55....Jeremy and Howard Simon. 

Their point was that the other elite teams left playing (read Bengals and Chiefs in particular) know how to get guys open, almost AT WILL.  KC continued to have effective offense even with Mahomes on one leg.

Andy Reid can get Diggs open 27 different ways, and I think Diggs thinks about this.

Is there no experienced, solid, smart OC type guy floating around out there?

It seems like Dorsey is easily upgraded.  And we don't have time to sit around and let him get an education on how to do his job.  The clock is ticking on Josh.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

It's not just the sideline "I want the ball" thing, it's the taking his stuff and shooting out of there pronto. 

That's just not what an actual leader does

1 hour ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Chase is open because he's #15 for targets and #17 for receiving yards - owing to having Tee Higgins at # 20 for receiving yards.

Does Diggs actually want to share the spotlight like that?

I feel like this whole season for Allen has been a push-me pull-you between expressing the philosophy "our offense works better when we spread the ball around" and "we've got to find a way to get the ball to Diggs more".  I don't think both of those things can work at the same time.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I wouldn't look into it too much.  Much like how this board is devolved into everyone wanting to fire everyone, in the heat of the moment he was upset and angry.  Allen was trying to ignore it to stay focused on what he can control.  

I’m sure if you asked Diggs he’d tell you he’s open almost every play. That’s how these receivers think. I don’t for one second believe he’s ever sitting somewhere thinking “man, [insert coach’s name here] can sure scheme open his receivers!” If the connection between him and his QB isn’t being made, he’s going to vent those frustrations at the guy throwing the ball, rightly or wrongly. I didn’t like to see it, because it’s dressing down another teammate in front of the public eye, but I didn’t like hearing that he left early even more.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Pick up the phone they use to talk to the booth coordinators. His frustration was not aimed at Dorsey as he yelled at JOSH on the sideline. 

You have no way of knowing whether Diggs was mad at the offense as a whole, Josh or both(Most plausible answer). Did Diggs talk to Dorsey on the phone, in the locker room at halftime or after the game? We don't know, for all we know he was yelling in Josh's direction because he's the only one there to yell at.

On top of that he's got no reason to b!tch. Top 3-5 in every major receiving catagory including targets, receptions, yards and tds while playing in one less game and while playing in the worst weather conditions of anyone in the top 20. Add to that a QB that played through an UCL injury that should've kept him on the sidelines for a month. How many catches and games won does Diggs think he could've had with Case Keenum at QB? Especially with Case playing behind that OL.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

You have no way of knowing whether Diggs was mad at the offense as a whole, Josh or both(Most plausible answer). Did Diggs talk to Dorsey on the phone, in the locker room at halftime or after the game? We don't know, for all we know he was yelling in Josh's direction because he's the only one there to yell at.

Some of you guys are making this more than it is. If the offense was moving and putting up points successfully, then Diggs is not on the sideline screaming at his QB. He feels he can help and was not being given the opportunity - either through overthrown balls or Josh not looking his way. Of course he’s frustrated with the offense as a whole and he’s going to take that out on the player who’s throwing - or in this case not throwing - him the ball. He’s not screaming at Josh in frustration because other receivers around the league are being schemed open and he’s not. C’mon. 

It seems like Diggs/Allen were off from the very beginning of the game. 

The 3rd down play where Allen (under pressure) just misses Diggs on a deep throw, Diggs shakes his head "no" a few times and then waves his hand in front of his face. He might've been gesturing for Josh to put more arc on the throw so he could run under it? Might've been saying he lost track of the ball in the snow? The 2nd option seems unlikely to me as Diggs made a good reach towards the ball. 

Then in the 3rd quarter on this play:

1st & 10 at BUF 12

(1:11 - 3rd) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete deep right to S.Diggs.

Diggs ended his route by cutting to the sideline, but Allen threw it like Diggs was going to cut up the field. After the incompletion Josh chops his arm down in an angular motion a number of times. I'm guessing Diggs ran the wrong route there and that Allen was peeved at him.

Then of course Diggs yells at Allen on the sidelines which Allen completely ignores. 

These 2 guys have had such great chemistry the last 3 years that I'd be pretty surprised if this game damages that, but it is a possibility. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SF Bills Fan said:

I would not be surprised if that was his last game in Buffalo. I think he sees that he won't get a ring there. 

He's not going anywhere unless he re-works his contract in a serious way giving back bonus money and guarantees - which I'm not sure the NFL/NFLPA allow.  Look at his contract.  He got $70M guaranteed.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/stefon-diggs-16872/

The Bills dead cap is $45M this year; $25.7Mnext year; and $18.7Min 2025.

Of the $45M dead cap for 2023, $33.2M is already-paid option and signing bonuses that the team eats if they trade him, plus of course $12M in guaranteed salary.

He's under contract.  The Bills are not gonna trade him or release him and eat all that dead cap.  They can't.  He can retire I guess, but he won't get a ring then either.

Diggs choice for the next 3 years if he wants to get a Superbowl ring is to stand in front of a mirror and figure out what part his attitude and performance may have played in this (see post above) and what he can do to get on the page better with Josh and help the other WR and TE develop so as to take more of the heat off him.

If he wants to continue to sulk and throw snits and point fingers at Josh on the sideline, people may think he's justified but he's not helping his QB perform better in a "Win or Go Home" game.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

Diggs is one of the most targeted WR in the league. Sure there are some missed opportunities, but at scale it’s unrealistic to really target him significantly more than we already are. 

He should have stayed with his team post game. Shame on him. 

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.