Bengals @ Bills - Post Game Thread - January 22, 2023 - NFL Divisional Round Playoffs

BuffaloBill

2 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

After the 13 seconds debacle I think the feeling was we were a Von Miller away from getting where we needed to be against the teams with the best QB's (Mahomes, Burrow).   I don't know if we can definitively say that wasn't true.  We won't know because we lost him, then all the other series of unfortunate events to deal with happened.  Put Von Miller back, erase all the misfortune and maybe, just maybe things turn out differently - including capturing the bye.  We won't ever know.  But it creates a serious quandry into considering where to go from here.  Maybe we really aren't as far away as most are thinking based upon this one lackluster performance.

Von Miller didnt stop our offense from only scoring 10 points.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's funny how Milano and Edmunds "regress" to last year's form when guards are suddenly allowed into the second level uncontested and with their associated momentum

DaQuan is very important to this team, and we need to build depth so that when he misses time in the future this doesn't happen again. Not sure if this phenomenon is scheme related or true for all linebackers

But I just watched Edmunds and Milano each put together awesome seasons and then each get plastered today. They aren't that bad I don't think

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

First real “loss” this year. First time I felt they were beat down and outplayed. From start to finish. 

Bengals had better game plan for the weather. Run hard and short swing passes.

Only because we avoided them doing the exact same thing to us 2 or 3 weeks back when the 1st quarter got off to pretty much the exact same start.

I think the bills could play the bengals 10 times and lose all 10 times. The Bengals are just a much better team than us. They look bigger, stronger, more physical -- tends to win you games in the playoffs. 

The bills team was built with some weird small/fast/finesse philosophy on defense which maybe was designed to take care of Mahommes and KC but is not built to take care of the new champs.

• Agree 2

And we see again, other than Mahomes, 3 of the 4 Championship game teams have teams on a rookie deal or non franchise money.

Jags are going to take a big step up next year if I had to guess.

IMO, teams are going to start trying to copy Shanahan's system of plug and play QBs to save big money and use it at other positions. Will be fascinating to see how many teams try and emulate that 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

I don’t feel the same way I felt after then KC game. That was heart wrenching, this was a good ole fashion, wake up calling, coach firing a$$ whooping. We didn’t deserve to win and the better team won. Cheering for bengals to win it all. 

Edited by Awwufelloff
  • Agree 2

I always had hope but something inside me knew that this season was wiped out for good when we came back to commercial and saw Allen and Diggs and Tre in a panic over Damar, and then learned he was receiving CPR. That did not look like a football team ready and interested in playing for a long time, and even at the time I was ready for the announcement that the Bills were done for the season. I don't blame anyone for that, but it felt like too much, and Milano/Allen's comments and demeanor confirm that this team was done long before the final whistle today

I just hope we can regroup, dedicate the next 2 offseasons to building an elite O line, and have a few seasons where nothing particularly out of the ordinary happens. 

49 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It doesn’t necessarily take high draft picks to fix the trenches. You can find super physical players later in the draft. You just need to look for the proper traits. We aren’t that far off but we absolutely need to gain a physical element to this team. You probably need to upgrade at least 2 spots on the Oline. Go out and find the strongest, nastiest players available. That doesn’t have to mean 1st and 2nd round picks. There are several ways to skin a cat but go find some maulers.

Like wyatt teller? We wouldn't know a good one if we found one just saying. Our talent evaluators have been bad outside of a few picks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The only positive I can take into next season is that I will enjoy flying under the radar to start the season. This team and Allen will get very little respect even if they start hot out the gate. This was a weird season where despite holding a great record and first place in the standings for the majority of it, we just constantly felt like we were underachieving expectations. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It may get him killed, but Josh's running is a HUGE part of what makes Josh, Josh.

It's not that way at all with Burrow.

If Josh gets hurt running, so be it.  He should be doing it routinely, it's a part of his value to the team.

One of many flaws in this game today is that he didn't run nearly enough.

He hasn't run much at all since that bengals player leg whipped him in the 1st Q of MNF.

2 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

After the 13 seconds debacle I think the feeling was we were a Von Miller away from getting where we needed to be against the teams with the best QB's (Mahomes, Burrow).   I don't know if we can definitively say that wasn't true.  We won't know because we lost him, then all the other series of unfortunate events to deal with happened.  Put Von Miller back, erase all the misfortune and maybe, just maybe things turn out differently - including capturing the bye.  We won't ever know.  But it creates a serious quandry into considering where to go from here.  Maybe we really aren't as far away as most are thinking based upon this one lackluster performance.

Shocker mid 30 year old guy at end of his career coming off previous injuries would get hurt and unable to contribute, imagine predicting such a thing as possible.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Go into the draft. Find the guy that nobody will draft because he punched out a woman, and draft that guy. We just got beat because the Bengals are willing to do that.

We need down and dirty, aggressive playmakers who play with a chip on their shoulder.  So sick of character guys and humble and hungry nonsense.  As obnoxious as the Bengals' cockiness is, it works for them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

Home field used to mean something to past Bills teams. You defended your home turf and made away teams tremble just thinking about playing here. Not this team. That mental toughness comes down from the coaches. Levy, Saban and even Knox would not get pushed around at home. We used that to our advantage. There was no fear from Miami or New England over those last few games, including the wild card game. It showed in the way the games were played. Thank goodness for Hines two returns for td's against the Pats. Something just seems to be different or missing. Can't really put my finger on it, but it just feels that way.

This was just the second home playoff loss ever in the Super Bowl era for the Bills. Kelly’s final game and today. Just a pitiful performance today for whatever reason. The hope was Hamlin’s presence would fire up the team. Instead it seemed to have the opposite effect today. Hard to figure.  

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.