McCarthy Plans To Cut Debt By Gutting Funds For Veterans

Tiberius

7 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

you republicans struggle with the concepts of facts and opinions

This is not a Republican issue SUNY. Every taxpayer, regardless of party affiliation pays the same tax rate. It's dependent on their income.  As a taxpayer who pays that rate, I can assure you what I described is essentially true. You may not like it, but it is indeed true. Now, to make matters worse, when Trump lowered the rates he also eliminated the Local/State deduction, which in fact negated the entire tax cut that you're prattling on about. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

This is not a Republican issue SUNY. Every taxpayer, regardless of party affiliation pays the same tax rate. It's dependent on their income.  As a taxpayer who pays that rate, I can assure you what I described is essentially true. You may not like it, but it is indeed true. Now, to make matters worse, when Trump lowered the rates he also eliminated the Local/State deduction, which in fact negated the entire tax cut that you're prattling on about. 

that’s the SALT cap everyone ignores that Pelosi was quietly trying to lift. SALT cap limits a tax deduction for the wealthy who own expensive homes in expensive tax areas and pay high state income tax because they make a lot of money. 

same here, tax reduction helped but was negated by the cap on the salt deduction for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

that would be awesome, I would make sure a single penny of mine doesn't go to bullsh*t massive republican conceived ideas like the Department of Homeland Security or the Space Force lol

Are you aware that assets under Space Force are what alerted the US of the launching if over a dozen Iranian missiles at US forces in Iraq, and permitted a movement of material and personnel into bunkers that saved scores of casualties?

I doubt it, and I doubt you are aware of what is involved in that.

I suppose the point could be made that it wasn't necessary, but on the vector we were on, it makes some sense to get this group out of the Air Force.

And by the way, Trump wasn't going to pull us out of NATO, as you claimed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

that’s the SALT cap everyone ignores that Pelosi was quietly trying to lift. SALT cap limits a tax deduction for the wealthy who own expensive homes in expensive tax areas and pay high state income tax because they make a lot of money. 

same here, tax reduction helped but was negated by the cap on the salt deduction for us. 

BINGO!  But it's always easier to complain about someone else's tax burden. It's yet another reason why I am a huge proponent of a flat tax. It gets away from all of this "what at about the other guy" nonsense. Once we are all paying an equal tithe to the government then we'll see who wants to raise taxes. And probably only then can we can have a conversation about the voluntary additional 'giving' that I mention above.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

Flat tax made more sense 30 years ago when there wasn't such an income gap. These days with 90% of people making so little and 10% making so much, what good with a flat tax do? People gotta have money to tax from

With all due respect. You aren't thinking big enough here SUNY. The income gap that you cite is in large degree CAUSED by the progressive tax code. We keep pouring more gasoline on the fire. As I have said many times on here nobody cares about their gross pay. They only care about their net pay. So...when you vote to raise taxes on your boss, you know what he does? He raised his income to pay for the taxes. His gross pay goes up but his net pay stays the same....and on and on it goes.

To convert to a flat tax everyone's gross pay would be adjusted. It would take your employer about 20 minutes to make this change on a desktop computer. My gross pay would go down, and your gross pay would go up, but our net take-home pay would remain unchanged. Then, with the Great Reset  in place, and both of us paying the same tax rate next year (let's say 25%) we can see if we both vote to raise taxes. I'm guessing not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

that would be awesome, I would make sure a single penny of mine doesn't go to bullsh*t massive republican conceived ideas like the Department of Homeland Security or the Space Force lol

I'll be polite and say you need to educate yourself on the mission of the Space Force. 

All of the satellites in use by the military are managed by Space Force personnel.  This mission is critical for; surveillance, targeting, and global military communications.  You may have even heard (and likely have used) the Global Positioning System used for navigation which is operated by the Space Force out of CO.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

21 hours ago, SUNY_amherst said:

And... if the Klingons from the planet Qo'nos ever invade, thankfully we will have the space force! USA USA

You should consider changing your screen name before the good people of SUNY Amherst sue you for defamation of their organization. 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

GOP has paused discussions on debt ceiling. 

Hey nice post. 

All it lacked was a link and some context

😆

Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) arrived at the Capitol after talks had broken down and said the White House was simply not willing to accept spending cuts at the levels Republicans are insisting upon.

We’ve got to get movement by the White House, and we don’t have any movement yet. So, yeah, we’ve gotta pause,” McCarthy said.  

“Yesterday I really felt we were at the location where I could see the path. The White House is just — look, we can’t be spending more money next year. We have to spend less than we spent the year before. It’s pretty easy.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4012262-frustrated-gop-negotiator-says-debt-ceiling-talks-have-paused/amp/

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The WH is refusing to cut any spending, from what I'm reading.  Cue the Republicansare comingafter SS and Medicare" stories in 3, 2, 1....  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Hey nice post. 

All it lacked was a link and some context

😆

Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) arrived at the Capitol after talks had broken down and said the White House was simply not willing to accept spending cuts at the levels Republicans are insisting upon.

We’ve got to get movement by the White House, and we don’t have any movement yet. So, yeah, we’ve gotta pause,” McCarthy said.  

“Yesterday I really felt we were at the location where I could see the path. The White House is just — look, we can’t be spending more money next year. We have to spend less than we spent the year before. It’s pretty easy.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4012262-frustrated-gop-negotiator-says-debt-ceiling-talks-have-paused/amp/

McCarthy said? Ok 😃

1 minute ago, Tenhigh said:

The WH is refusing to cut any spending, from what I'm reading.  Cue the Republicansare comingafter SS and Medicare" stories in 3, 2, 1....  

lol 

BEHIND THE DEBT CEILING STANDOFF

NOTE: I composed today’s chart before the news broke that the GOP negotiators have suspended the debt ceiling talks today. I suspect they are getting in front of what looks like a Democrat attempt to trap them, as speculated below.

After (P)resident Biden spent months of stubbornly insisting that he would not negotiate about lifting the debt ceiling, suddenly he is having negotiations and striking very conciliatory poses about reaching a deal that would clearly involve some concessions to Republicans.

Perhaps this is a cynical ploy to yank the rug out of a deal and try to blame the Republicans, but after Kevin McCarthy’s deft move of passing an increase in the debt ceiling with conditions, the Democrats were suddenly put in a bad spot.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2023/05/the-daily-chart-behind-the-debt-ceiling-standoff.php

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

still good guys vs bad guys huh? 

not just different opinions trying to strike a balance… 

that’s not democracy you believe in, that’s monocracy you subscribe to

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 hours ago, B-Man said:

BEHIND THE DEBT CEILING STANDOFF

NOTE: I composed today’s chart before the news broke that the GOP negotiators have suspended the debt ceiling talks today. I suspect they are getting in front of what looks like a Democrat attempt to trap them, as speculated below.

After (P)resident Biden spent months of stubbornly insisting that he would not negotiate about lifting the debt ceiling, suddenly he is having negotiations and striking very conciliatory poses about reaching a deal that would clearly involve some concessions to Republicans.

Perhaps this is a cynical ploy to yank the rug out of a deal and try to blame the Republicans, but after Kevin McCarthy’s deft move of passing an increase in the debt ceiling with conditions, the Democrats were suddenly put in a bad spot.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2023/05/the-daily-chart-behind-the-debt-ceiling-standoff.php

I feel like I have seen that tactic before, act negotiable to eat away the time then put up the wall in the 11th hour. 

With a complicit media, the political risk isn’t huge. 

I can hear it now; ‘we’ll stop paying some very visible checks and feed the media the narrative to blame you Mr speaker” 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Joe Biden Gets Lost Again, Tells Reporter to 'Shush up' Before Incoherent Rant on the Debt Ceiling

1a2e7428-4357-41a6-a8f7-ffef4b59dc8e-860

While the country careens toward fiscal disaster, Joe Biden is busy hobnobbing in Japan at the annual G7 conference. Never has a bigger waste of time existed outside of the World Economic Forum in Davos, but the president felt it necessary to attend instead of staying in town to negotiate a deal on the debt ceiling.

https://redstate.com/bonchie/2023/05/20/joe-biden-gets-lost-again-tells-reporter-to-shush-up-before-incoherent-rant-on-the-debt-ceiling-n749037

• Like (+1) 2

Budget/Debt Limit Thread

(mistitled)

McCarthy Says No Debt Ceiling Negotiations Until Biden Returns from Japan Summit

As the nation barrels toward defaulting on our debt, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy said Saturday that negotiations are on pause until President Joe Biden returns Sunday from the Group of Seven summit in Japan. Both sides are accusing the other of being intractable in negotiations over raising the debt ceiling, which Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen says we could hit as soon as June 1, causing “economic chaos.”

https://redstate.com/bobhoge/2023/05/20/who-will-blink-first-mccarthy-says-no-debt-ceiling-negotiations-until-biden-returns-from-japan-summit-n749239

• Like (+1) 1

Biden Accuses Republicans Of Sabotaging Debt Limit To Get Him Out Of Office

“If the economy does default, Biden argued he would be ‘blameless,’ and called for Republicans to move their positions.”

https://dailycaller.com/2023/05/21/president-biden-republicans-sabotaging-debt-limit/

The GOP-controlled House already has voted to raise the debt limit. This is all on the White House.

On 1/21/2023 at 12:07 PM, Tiberius said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/20/biden-mccarthy-debt-ceiling-00078853But Biden’s remarks set off a back-and-forth later in the day that underscored the deep divide between the White House and House Republicans over how to approach the debt ceiling discussions.

McCarthy tweeted shortly afterward that he would accept a request to meet “and discuss a responsible debt ceiling increase to address irresponsible government spending.”

The White House responded in a statement issued later on Friday, where Jean-Pierre reiterated that “raising the debt ceiling is not a negotiation; it is an obligation of this country and its leaders to avoid economic chaos.”

“We are going to have a clear debate on two different visions for the country — one that cuts Social Security, and one that protects it — and the President is happy to discuss that with the Speaker,” Jean-Pierre said.

The development comes a day after Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said that the U.S. had reached its debt limit and would need to use special measures to avoid a default. Yellen has projected that Congress has until at least June to pass a debt ceiling increase.

Another lie.  What a mess.  

PAY NO ATTENTION TO “DEFAULT” HYPE

Today the Wall Street Journal editorial board makes a point that I also have made repeatedly on this site: there is zero chance of a default on sovereign debt arising out of the current budget impasse in Washington. The press hysteria, which we have seen before, arises out of a deliberate misuse of the word “default.”

The editorial board writes:

The debt talks are stalled and President Biden is again threatening to invoke the Constitution’s 14th Amendment to pay interest on America’s debt without Congress raising the debt ceiling. The truth is that the Treasury has more than ample revenue coming in each month to avoid defaulting on the debt, and Mr. Biden doesn’t need to distort the meaning of the 14th Amendment to do it.
Section 4 of the Amendment says that the “validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law . . . shall not be questioned.”

This means the Treasury cannot repudiate debt held by the public as issued in Treasury bonds and notes. In practical terms this means Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen must prioritize debt repayment once statutory federal outlays exceed federal revenue. In other words, she and Mr. Biden can’t willfully default even for a time without violating the 14th Amendment.

If the government runs short of money, it must, and will, continue to pay interest on the debt.

If Joe Biden and the Republican House don’t reach an agreement (even though the House has already voted to raise the debt ceiling), the result could be a partial government shutdown of the sort we have seen several times in recent years. Those partial shutdowns have done little or no damage

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2023/05/pay-no-attention-to-default-hype.php

https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-the-14th-amendment-really-says-debt-ceiling-biden-shut-down-default-constitution-78b24824?st=xm9895wixjflfv3&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Rather than the pilot in this scenario,  Biden's stuck in the restroom in the rear of the plane trying to figure out how to unlock the door. 

No! That's Trump and DeSantis stuck in bathroom together, doing what, I do not know. 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

No! That's Trump and DeSantis stuck in bathroom together, doing what, I do not know. 

Neither of those dudes has any role in the debt ceiling situation so neither has any relevancy to the conversation other than "when in doubt, counter any opinion or view with a Trump analogy or comparison".  But keep on running interference for our fake President.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Neither of those dudes has any role in the debt ceiling situation so neither has any relevancy to the conversation other than "when in doubt, counter any opinion or view with a Trump analogy or comparison".  But keep on running interference for our fake President.

Trump told republicans to not make a deal, so he has a role or is trying to 

18 minutes ago, sherpa said:

More nonsense.

“I say to the Republicans out there—congressmen, senators—if they don’t give you massive cuts, you’re going to have to do a default,” Trump said.

Same thing 

12 minutes ago, B-Man said:

actually that was more lying, by Tibsy

Nope, the leader of the Jan 6 coup wants to crash everything so he can blame Biden. 

Putin style leader 

The nonsense is that Trump has anything to say about this.

Only an obsessed individual would think any different.

The House has offered a proposal to limit spending to last year's levels, and omit the stupid, unheeded covid recovery printing of money.

Biden has called this proposal "extreme."

Anybody who believes that needs to get out of any decision making position.

• Like (+1) 2