McCarthy Plans To Cut Debt By Gutting Funds For Veterans

Tiberius

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/20/biden-mccarthy-debt-ceiling-00078853But Biden’s remarks set off a back-and-forth later in the day that underscored the deep divide between the White House and House Republicans over how to approach the debt ceiling discussions.

McCarthy tweeted shortly afterward that he would accept a request to meet “and discuss a responsible debt ceiling increase to address irresponsible government spending.”

The White House responded in a statement issued later on Friday, where Jean-Pierre reiterated that “raising the debt ceiling is not a negotiation; it is an obligation of this country and its leaders to avoid economic chaos.”

“We are going to have a clear debate on two different visions for the country — one that cuts Social Security, and one that protects it — and the President is happy to discuss that with the Speaker,” Jean-Pierre said.

The development comes a day after Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said that the U.S. had reached its debt limit and would need to use special measures to avoid a default. Yellen has projected that Congress has until at least June to pass a debt ceiling increase.

Edited by Tiberius

What ever happened to the gov't having a budget & working with in it ? They may make a budget but it's all BS ! I don't believe any of these F**K TARDS can even balance their own personal check books let alone one as big as the US .

This is exactly why doing away with the gold standard was the most ignorant move in American history & who ever put that idea in motion needed to be B***H slapped .

Where would any of us be if when our checking account was empty just say Okay i'm just going to say i have more money in there so i can go spend money that i don't have or well i will have money coming into my account in the coming weeks when i get paid so i'll just spend it now & I will actually give you the money when i get it .

"Fiscal Responsibility" Is NOT a word that any of these politicians know the actual definition is . I think the country would probably be in a lot better place if they would let the gov't shut down & send the politicians home (with all their brilliant ideas) to save that money & just let the monies used for things needed such as military, SS, Medicare, VA benefits & other must haves for the country to run be used .

We have seen what happens when the Brain trusts/politicians get together & brain storm what happens ? I feel it should be the way it use to congress come in session a couple of times a year & get paid much less for that time then those elected go home & be treated like all the rest of us & live by the laws they make then they could see just how ignorant some of their thoughts are .

If you want to see true incompetence just watch the US gov't work it's a total Cluster F ...  If every business ran by the model the US gov't sets they would be bankrupt !! 

And we could thank just about every single president for the last 100 yrs for it & we all saw or can remember what happens when one try's to make those kind of huge changes to it .

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 1/22/2023 at 9:38 AM, BillStime said:

Imagine that 

Seeing as he's a Dem & that he didn't show in comparison what Obama did in his term i'm thinking this is just a part of the political plan moving forward then there is the comparison of what good ole Joe has added on to the deficit in his short time in office but let's not bring that up right ?? 

Pictures can be painted differently by each individual artist & you can't tell how it resembles the actual original unless you can see it for your self & make your own determination so i'm to saying the guy is wrong but until i can see what was truly done prior i refuse to make a conclusion .

Because in reality one is no better than the other !! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, T master said:

Seeing as he's a Dem & that he didn't show in comparison what Obama did in his term i'm thinking this is just a part of the political plan moving forward then there is the comparison of what good ole Joe has added on to the deficit in his short time in office but let's not bring that up right ?? 

Pictures can be painted differently by each individual artist & you can't tell how it resembles the actual original unless you can see it for your self & make your own determination so i'm to saying the guy is wrong but until i can see what was truly done prior i refuse to make a conclusion .

Because in reality one is no better than the other !! 

FOX NEWS:

Donald Trump added nearly as much national debt during his four years in office as Obama did in eight.

Biden on Tuesday called McCarthy a “decent man” but criticized the Speaker to a group of Democratic donors in New York City for making “off-the-wall” promises to Republicans to secure the Speakership.

Some House Republicans have said debt talks should be used to secure assurances on spending cuts, even as the party remains divided over whether defense spending and programs like Medicare or Social Security should be under consideration.

John Stipicevic, McCarthy’s former floor director, noted that the Speaker is known for bringing together multiple factions of the House Republican Conference

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/3838181-biden-mccarthy-meet-for-high-stakes-debt-showdown/

On 1/22/2023 at 9:38 AM, BillStime said:

Imagine that 

If this be the truth which as usual you never show numbers to prove yourself just a here say post from another lib democrat but that is why they being these republicans are wanting to NOT raise the debt ceiling which none of them should have been allowed to do .

It wouldn't hurt my feeling if they sent all of these wing nuts home like many Americans had to do when they shut down the economy & have them get 1/4 of their pay plus there wouldn't be any more ignorants coming out of DC for the amount of time they were to stay at home .

But that will never happen because they are all above us in ranking humanity in all they do & how would we ever survive if these jack wagons didn't have their governmental ideas stuck so far up our asses that we can't make a move with out some stupid crap happy dream law they make which is usually just to buy votes .

5 minutes ago, T master said:

If this be the truth which as usual you never show numbers to prove yourself just a here say post from another lib democrat but that is why they being these republicans are wanting to NOT raise the debt ceiling which none of them 

You would default on our debt? 

You would do that to the bond market??? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

You would default on our debt? 

You would do that to the bond market??? 

I'm going to try to keep this respectful . Some where some how these Gov't officials need to STOP SPENDING OVER THE LIMITS OF THE BUDGET !!!!!!! 

If you or I were to do what this United States gov't does we would be thrown in jail I'm sure if someone anyone would look at all the pork spending that is put into any of the bills over the last 20+ years there would be TRILLIONS of spending that doesn't need to be there .

I'll give you a example : 2019 i made more money than i have EVER made in my some 50 years of employment then the pandemic came along I unlike the gov't instead of spending ALL & MORE of the money i made put a good chunk back & paid 6 months ahead on my mortgage just incase because i have down time every year .

I went from making money to making nothing for some 2 months while other Americans were freaking out because they spend exactly like your gov't does way beyond their income limits every one was freaking out i had some money set back & 6 months to earn money which i did going back into construction & never missed a payment !

I'm just going to throw this out there if I T master with a 12th grade education & a certificate in Electrical from a skilled trades school & years of education from the school of hard knox WTH can't these supposed "Very Highly Educated politicians" keep our country some where near the budget ?

The only reason why they can't is because the US is expected to bail every buddy else out over spend on every contract they get on anything that happens & never keep them selves in check yet they keep getting re elected by people that are fleecing the system every chance they get because that's what these politicians teach them .

Another quick example : YEARS ago my ex was working & just barely could make ends meet went to the local gov't to get food stamps to help out on top of her check & my child support when she asked for the help they told her she made to much money .

Here's what she was told & this is the gov't way of thinking : if you quit  your job we can not only give you food stamps but we can pay your rent, electric, water & sewer but right now you make to much money 🤔 

Here's a bit of common sense that the gov't NEVER uses !!!! Why would they help her with a lessor amount & allow her to keep working while PAYING TAXES into the gov't to help cover the money used for the little bit extra in food stamps BUT NO QUIT YOUR JOB DON'T PAY TAXES & WE WILL HALP YOU .

Then we wonder why the US debt is where it is . I know you won't get to this point because you never read anything to it's entirety but this is exactly the US gov't mind set keep them totally dependent on us so we have power over them and they won't think or do for themselves yet you agree with it .

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Sounds just like a politician !! And is par for this POTUS because he wants to fund his frivolous bills !! 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, T master said:

I'm going to try to keep this respectful . Some where some how these Gov't officials need to STOP SPENDING OVER THE LIMITS OF THE BUDGET !!!!!!! 

If you or I were to do what this United States gov't does we would be thrown in jail I'm sure if someone anyone would look at all the pork spending that is put into any of the bills over the last 20+ years there would be TRILLIONS of spending that doesn't need to be there .

I'll give you a example : 2019 i made more money than i have EVER made in my some 50 years of employment then the pandemic came along I unlike the gov't instead of spending ALL & MORE of the money i made put a good chunk back & paid 6 months ahead on my mortgage just incase because i have down time every year .

I went from making money to making nothing for some 2 months while other Americans were freaking out because they spend exactly like your gov't does way beyond their income limits every one was freaking out i had some money set back & 6 months to earn money which i did going back into construction & never missed a payment !

I'm just going to throw this out there if I T master with a 12th grade education & a certificate in Electrical from a skilled trades school & years of education from the school of hard knox WTH can't these supposed "Very Highly Educated politicians" keep our country some where near the budget ?

The only reason why they can't is because the US is expected to bail every buddy else out over spend on every contract they get on anything that happens & never keep them selves in check yet they keep getting re elected by people that are fleecing the system every chance they get because that's what these politicians teach them .

Another quick example : YEARS ago my ex was working & just barely could make ends meet went to the local gov't to get food stamps to help out on top of her check & my child support when she asked for the help they told her she made to much money .

Here's what she was told & this is the gov't way of thinking : if you quit  your job we can not only give you food stamps but we can pay your rent, electric, water & sewer but right now you make to much money 🤔 

Here's a bit of common sense that the gov't NEVER uses !!!! Why would they help her with a lessor amount & allow her to keep working while PAYING TAXES into the gov't to help cover the money used for the little bit extra in food stamps BUT NO QUIT YOUR JOB DON'T PAY TAXES & WE WILL HALP YOU .

Then we wonder why the US debt is where it is . I know you won't get to this point because you never read anything to it's entirety but this is exactly the US gov't mind set keep them totally dependent on us so we have power over them and they won't think or do for themselves yet you agree with it .

Sounds just like a politician !! And is par for this POTUS because he wants to fund his frivolous bills !! 

So that's a yes? You would default on our debt. 

You really hate this country, don't you

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

You know every time you post i find out your a bigger A** hole than i previously thought you were !!

And we wonder why the country is in the state that it is .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The Treasury will never "default" in the way you or I would in a personal or business debt and default situation because they have the ability to create or print "money" at will while you and I do not have that privilege.  What such an event would do is trigger a run on the dollar along with turmoil and chaos in the credit markets. But the world wouldn't end lenders to the US government would simply get paid back the required nominal amount of dollars which would be worth much less than the dollars the government borrowed from them. 

The traditional way to deal with the debt limit is to suppress any debate or conversation and insist on a rubber stamp "yes" vote without any conditions or limitations.  

Another approach might be forcing a serious conversation that almost nobody in either political party or the government wants to have by threatening consequences about continuing to avoid the use of unlimited deficit spending and a national debt of $31 Trillion.  The thing they don't speak out loud is the government will never pay back that money.  Which to me means we're in a denial phase about the debt situation and this course of spending eventually will lead to ruin.  With eventually getting pretty close. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 1/22/2023 at 5:49 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Anybody over twelve years old completely ignores this debt limit story. How many times do they think the American people are going to fall for this trick? We know, we know…the quarter is behind your left ear! Yawn. 

I'm quoting myself here because it still applies. This is a total non-story. Just more ridiculous political posturing in a slow news cycle. Gotta fill that air-time, don't ya know.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The Treasury will never "default" in the way you or I would in a personal or business debt and default situation because they have the ability to create or print "money" at will while you and I do not have that privilege.  What such an event would do is trigger a run on the dollar along with turmoil and chaos in the credit markets.  

And for what? Why would the GOP do something so stupid?