McCarthy Plans To Cut Debt By Gutting Funds For Veterans

Tiberius

32 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

We are lucky to have politicians 

Yes we are but i would like more of them that are all about what's best for the American population first & foremost rather than putting everyone else in front of America & expecting us as American citizens to pay for it to the extent of being Trillions of dollars in debt than can in no way EVER be paid back .

But hey if you read my reply to you earlier i think much differently than politicians & you to say the very least .

13 minutes ago, T master said:

Yes we are but i would like more of them that are all about what's best for the American population first & foremost rather than putting everyone else in front of America & expecting us as American citizens to pay for it to the extent of being Trillions of dollars in debt than can in no way EVER be paid back .

But hey if you read my reply to you earlier i think much differently than politicians & you to say the very least .

They represent their constituents and not all constituents have the same interests

14 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

They represent their constituents and not all constituents have the same interests

But wouldn't it be in the best interests of the constituents no matter their personal stance on issues to have a surplus of funds rather than a deficit ? 

Edited by T master

19 minutes ago, T master said:

But wouldn't it be in the best interests of the constituents no matter their personal stance on issues to have a surplus of funds rather than a deficit ? 

Depends on how we get there. Raising taxes would just pull money out of the economy and people;'s pockets (not good). And cutting services would mean people would just have to pay themselves for things the gov does now. Cutting the military or NASA? No way 

55 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Depends on how we get there. Raising taxes would just pull money out of the economy and people;'s pockets (not good). And cutting services would mean people would just have to pay themselves for things the gov does now. Cutting the military or NASA? No way 

WOW ! First let me say Tibs there is hope for you yet you actually answered a question with a legit common sense answer & not another question way to go brother !! 

But i would be willing to bet if we the people (you & I being included in that which would be the gov't having full transparency chichis a joke) could look at most all of the bills that have been put in place i would say if you & I were to look at them together we together could come to a agreement & could find some pretty irresponsible bills that truly do nothing for the country or the people in it .

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, T master said:

WOW ! First let me say Tibs there is hope for you yet you actually answered a question with a legit common sense answer & not another question way to go brother !! 

But i would be willing to bet if we the people (you & I being included in that which would be the gov't having full transparency chichis a joke) could look at most all of the bills that have been put in place i would say if you & I were to look at them together we together could come to a agreement & could find some pretty irresponsible bills that truly do nothing for the country or the people in it .

I'd cut ethanol funding tomorrow 

3 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

Good. The debt ceiling is dumb and threatening to breach it for political reasons is even dumber. Don’t negotiate with hostage takers and let the American public see that the GOP wants to tank the US economy. 

Well we can just keep going the same way they have since they did away with the gold standard & eventually the America as we know it will have to file bankruptcy & default on all of our debt because the actual money (which isn't now) won't be worth the paper it's printed on !

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I'd cut ethanol funding tomorrow 

Here's a thought . If the FDA & the EPA would stop allowing the likes of Monsanto & many food companies to continue to put preservatives in our foods that are known to cause cancer & stop Round up (which is banned in countries in the EU) from allowing this to be manufactured then spray on our food the medical insurance issue would probably be a lot less .

But if they did that the business of cancer & causing it would lose trillions over time not to mention big pharma because they wouldn't have to make any meds for it either plus the back door money (or wait let me rephrase that) the political donations from super groups would be much less than they are now .

With that & if all of the lobbyist were all fired too there would be enough money left over to fund health care for every one but it will never happen cancer makes way to much money for all concerned both those that cause it & those that try to say they cure it .

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

Biden pans McCarthy’s debt plan as ‘huge cuts’ to Americans

But President Joe Biden swiftly swatted down the plan, which would cap much federal spending at increases of 1% a year, as requiring “huge cuts” to programs helping millions of Americans.

https://apnews.com/article/speaker-kevin-mccarty-debt-ceiling-biden-1dd542c6c7acfc2287e68e6facae2be4

The debt ceiling is dangerous to fool with . The real fire works will be the next federal budget for House to pass with their GOP majority in control. Will likely end with stalemate with Senate.

Continuing resolutions are temporary spending bills that allow federal government operations to continue when final appropriations have not been approved by Congress and the President. Without final appropriations or a continuing resolution (CR), there could be a lapse in funding that results in a government shutdown

Edited by ALF

On 4/19/2023 at 6:31 AM, ALF said:

Biden pans McCarthy’s debt plan as ‘huge cuts’ to Americans

McCarthy's Debt Ceiling Gambit Gets Senate Republican Support (for Now)

By Joe Cunningham

Now that House Speaker Kevin McCarthy has put forward a proposal to raise the debt ceiling but have it tied to government spending cuts, a lot of the suspected apprehension from Senate Republicans appears to be dissipating a bit, leading some to even be optimistic that a bipartisan deal that would include spending cuts may be possible.

Earlier this morning, Punchbowl News detailed in its morning newsletter that McCarthy’s gambit appears to finally have Senate Republican support – or, at least, it doesn’t have their opposition.

{snip}

But the longer this drags on, the more the situation turns against Biden. His refusal to negotiate when McCarthy has laid out his starting point will put him on the hot seat rather than McCarthy. That pressure does give McCarthy leverage in the long run – Biden can’t risk any more negative sentiment from the American public going into a re-election year.

https://redstate.com/joesquire/2023/04/20/mccarthys-debt-ceiling-gambit-gets-senate-republican-support-for-now-n733938

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You mean like how Ted Cruz engineered a government shutdown that catapulted him into the White House?

apples-and-oranges.jpg

No. Lunchpail Joe cannot afford any more economic issues.

• Like (+1) 1

Here are the White House’s options as I see it:

1. Don’t negotiate over the debt ceiling because allowing a party to threaten the entire US economy unless they get their way creates a dangerous incentive for the future.

2. Negotiate over the debt ceiling because if it is not raised it’ll cause severe harm to the US economy even if this means we’ll be right back here in the near future.

If you do 1, you risk harming the economy now. If you do 2, you increase the risk of harming the economy in the future. 

In either case, it’s insane that anyone would use the debt ceiling as political leverage but I guess that’s just the times we live in now. 

The GOP won the House. If they want to be adults then they should pass bills, make the Dems in the senate veto your agenda and then take that back to the voters. 

41 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Here are the White House’s options as I see it:

1. Don’t negotiate over the debt ceiling because allowing a party to threaten the entire US economy unless they get their way creates a dangerous incentive for the future.

2. Negotiate over the debt ceiling because if it is not raised it’ll cause severe harm to the US economy even if this means we’ll be right back here in the near future.

If you do 1, you risk harming the economy now. If you do 2, you increase the risk of harming the economy in the future. 

In either case, it’s insane that anyone would use the debt ceiling as political leverage but I guess that’s just the times we live in now. 

The GOP won the House. If they want to be adults then they should pass bills, make the Dems in the senate veto your agenda and then take that back to the voters. 

The debt ceiling will be increased.

Elections have consequences, and there seems to be no end to writing checks that future taxpayers will have to cover.

It is completely responsible for Congress to enforce spending limits.

That is their job, among others.

It is completely irresponsible to allow the Executive to write these checks way beyond it's Constitutional authority, ie, student loan elimination.

It is time to get back to having our government's three branches doing what they were intended to do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2