Will DeAndre Hopkins be available this offseason?

NeverOutNick

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I was not reading that tweet as exclusive to the Bills, btw. I do think as a matter of conjecture they might be one of those teams.

OK, I misinterpreted "A little harder for the skeptics to paint this as a mirage speculated on the basis of IG posts and pseudo-NFL Insiders on Twitter."

Nothing pseudo about Rapaport, but still speculation and conjecture.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

That's how I see it.

When we traded for Diggs, several posters here critiqued the deal saying that it's not just "we traded a first and stuff for Diggs, a great WR, and the Vikes got Jefferson in the first, so we both won".    The Vikes got a great player on a cost-controlled rookie deal while we got a great older player for whom we had to pay a fat contract. 

I still think the deal was a good one: the Bills got a savvy vet who could help Allen develop and help raise the level of the WR room; the Vikes got a youngster who could learn to do things as their savvy vet QB wanted them done.

But that's not where we are now.  If the Bills are going to sustain success, they have to get production from cost-controlled drafted players.

I think the best receiving option with a plausible chance to be available at 27 is Dalton Kincaid, the Utah TE. I would take him.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Which WR at 27 are you thinking of? It's easy to just say take a first round wr, but it's not a strong position in the draft. Some think Zay Flowers will be there. He's another slot, though potentially a very good one. Certainly, the two best receivers, Quintin Johnston and Jaxson Smith-Njigba, will not. 

What do you think about Jordan Addison?  Greg Cosell named him as a WR he thought might be there who would fit the Bills needs

24 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

counter: adding an all pro to any team nationally considered a contender would be called a final piece. No one is weighing a RT to compete with brown in that statement. 

Of course they are seeking high compensation. Are they supposed to leak that he’s cheap?

just posted the link mac. then deleted as the Dr. had posted at the same time.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I think the best receiving option with a plausible chance to be available at 27 is Dalton Kincaid, the Utah TE. I would take him.

I have the impression (from the flyer taken on OJ Howard) that Dorsey would like to use 2 TE sets.  So if he's a solid 1st round pick who is ready to at least function as an NFL WR as he learns the rest of his job, I'd be for it.

• Like (+1) 1

What do you think about Jordan Addison?  Greg Cosell named him as a WR he thought might be there who would fit the Bills needs

I'd be surprised if he is available at 27, but I'd be happy to get him. Johnston, JSN, and Addison are the three best receivers imo.

I have the impression (from the flyer taken on OJ Howard) that Dorsey would like to use 2 TE sets.  So if he's a solid 1st round pick who is ready to at least function as an NFL WR as he learns the rest of his job, I'd be for it.

Michael Mayer and Kincaid are both receiving threat TEs who could be available around 27. I think Kincaid has the potential to be a dangerous offensive weapon, so he's my preference. If you wait for 59, Darnell Washington might fall that far. I am an UGA fan, so biased, but he is a great blocker. Only an adequate receiver, but he would allow for more use of 12 personnel. Fella was pounding the table for Tucker Kraft, so I researched him a bit. I think he's a nice player and maybe you can get him in the third. TE is one of the better positions in this draft, so I hope we get one of the aforementioned.

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Does anyone recall.....I think we tried to get Hopkins in 2020, but when he went to Arizona...Beane immediately traded for Diggs?  Is that correct?

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Yes, that is correct.

Unless the Texans were just dead set against trading him inside the conference that seems unlikely given how cheaply they traded him that year.

4 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

it's clear that KC and BUF both "walked away" to try and force AZ to lower their asking price 

Clear as mud.

In all seriousness, I can’t see anybody giving up much more than a 3rd without some help on the contract. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Clear as mud.

In all seriousness, I can’t see anybody giving up much more than a 3rd without some help on the contract. 

If he hasn't been moved on Draft Day...if we get to pick 27 and the Bills don't have a very highly graded player....I'd call AZ and offer them our pick, we trade down to their 2nd rounder (which I think is only 7 picks lower) and give them our 3rd next year 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Or, maybe some team with a young QB (or a capable QB with minimal weapons) and big cap space will pay something closer to it.

The Bears have more cap space than they know what to do with, for example, and a young QB who could use a savvy vet WR who can catch anything flung in his general direction.  They have extra draft picks after trading their first to the Panthers.

The Panthers have 2nd most cap space, made it clear they're taking a QB who could benefit from a savvy vet WR, and they still have their own 2nd and 4th round picks as well as the 3rd and 4th rounder they got from SF in the McCaffrey trade.

The Lions have they 3rd most cap space.  They are going into Dan Campbell's 3rd year, have Goff under a manageable contract for 2 more years, and lost 5 games by 3 or 4 points.   They may feel the clock is ticking for them, and feel like adding a second top WR to Amon-Ra St Brown would put them over the top and flip those games, giving them 13-4 or 14-3.  They have the 3rd most free cap space and 8 draft picks, 4 in the first 2 rounds so they're well-positioned to trade a 2nd round pick without hurting their board.

Good NFL WR can be arrogant.  They feel that they can make catches and yards with anyone throwing to them - Tyreek Hill saying to a reporter "I could make yards with you throwing to me."  My sense of DHop is that's something he would say.  So it's probably more important to Hopkins to go to a team that can pay him, than it is for him to go to a team that has one of the best QB in the league.

See above - I made a case for 3 teams with a buttload of cap space.

Lions have Jameson Williams so they're all set. Also has been widely reported he wants to go to a contender so that would likely rule out most of the teams with cap space.