Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

I expect.... No hope... That by Friday evening or Saturday morning the NFL plays out the rules of what they'll do. Or prefer tonight or Saturday night after the chiefs forget or play. I don't want them doing it right before the game because it'll motivate them.

Anyway 

Announce that the terms. If KC loses and Buf wins and Cin ties... Yada yada yada. If KC wins and Buf ties and cin wins... And if KC gets Mahommes to get a haircut they get 1 seed. ***** chia pet head mother *****. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

The Bills are the ones who ultimately chose to not finish the Bengals game. This was the right call, but they cannot be rewarded with the #1 seed without finishing that game, which seems to be an unlikely outcome at this juncture. If anyone gets the short end of the stick here, it's unfortunately going to be them. 

This is not true, the Bengals AND the Bills both decided to not finish the game on Monday. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have a strange feeling, highly unlikely but...

If Buffalo, Cincy and KC win, Cincy will forfeit the BUF/CIN game and take the #3 seed.  If KC wins, CIN can't catch them, so it comes down to #2 or #3 seed.  Cincy made it from the #3 seed last season, and while there isn't as much different from #2 to #3, there is a lot riding on top seed.  This would deny KC home-field and assures any Bills/Bengals playoff matchup would not be in the stadium where the trauma went down.

I realize it's highly, highly unlikely.  I don't even know if it would be right for something like that to occur.  It's just an odd hunch.  And if true, they may have already communicated this desire to the NFL, which is why they've been silent about what to do about the suspended game.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Removing games under any circumstances is wildly unfair to other teams and will hopefully never happen.

while I hear what your saying, it also still makes a ton of sense among imperfect solutions and may actually be the most reasonable approach if not for the emotions it evokes and the inability of a guy like Keyshawn Johnson to explain it 

• Agree 1

There is a rumor being floated that the league is recommending playing the NFC playoffs on schedule and playing the Bills/Bengals game only in the AFC if it is meaningful to seeding in the AFC after the outcome of this weeks games. This would be logical although it would give almost all the other AFC teams and the NFC champion a huge advantage in the long run health wise. So this type of dumb approach sound exactly like something the NFL would do anyways because it meets their primary desire of having games and TV revenue every week even though it creates a lot of disadvantage and actually create disadvantages for Bengals and Bills.

17 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

The Bills are the ones who ultimately chose to not finish the Bengals game. This was the right call, but they cannot be rewarded with the #1 seed without finishing that game, which seems to be an unlikely outcome at this juncture. If anyone gets the short end of the stick here, it's unfortunately going to be them. 

The Bills did not "choose" to not finish the game.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

The NFL suspended the game.  

Edited by Kiva
  • Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, The Red King said:

If Buffalo, Cincy and KC win, Cincy will forfeit the BUF/CIN game and take the #3 seed.  If KC wins, CIN can't catch them, so it comes down to #2 or #3 seed.  Cincy made it from the #3 seed last season, and while there isn't as much different from #2 to #3, there is a lot riding on top seed.  This would deny KC home-field and assures any Bills/Bengals playoff matchup would not be in the stadium where the trauma went down.

I realize it's highly, highly unlikely.  I don't even know if it would be right for something like that to occur.  It's just an odd hunch.  And if true, they may have already communicated this desire to the NFL, which is why they've been silent about what to do about the suspended game.

These teams aren’t going to collude and spring arbitrary agreements. The league is communicating with them, but ultimately, the league will make the decision based on what’s best for the league, competitive integrity, and logistics. To think these pros can’t play another football game at Paycor is silly.

If this is true and chiefs win Saturday I am definitely resting starters vs the pats.

The main advantage of the one seed is the bye week. Who cares about 2 vs 3 seed. This team plays fine on the road. 

Plus it sets us up to play the ravens in the wc round which is basically a guaranteed win.

• Disagree 1

22 minutes ago, chongli said:

The Bills did not "choose" to not finish the game.

Who did? Taylor came out today and said that McDermott told him he needed to be at the hospital with Hamlin rather than coach. A courageous and admirable decision, but other teams can't be disadvantaged because of it.

1 minute ago, Process said:

If this is true and chiefs win Saturday I am definitely resting starters vs the pats.

The main advantage of the one seed is the bye week. Who cares about 2 vs 3 seed. This team plays fine on the road. 

Plus it sets us up to play the ravens in the wc round which is basically a guaranteed win.

Which would mean, even if the Ravens beat the Bengals, they wouldn’t get the third seed. And if both the Bills and the Bengals win, the latter won’t get a shot at first. Or if the Chiefs and the Bills win, the latter wouldn’t get a chance to get to one.

35 minutes ago, The Red King said:

If KC wins, they will automatically get the top spot but virtue of having the most wins 

1 minute ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

Who did? Taylor came out today and said that McDermott told him he needed to be at the hospital with Hamlin rather than coach. A courageous and admirable decision, but other teams can't be disadvantaged because of it.

Bengals players reportedly did not want to continue playing game either. The league CAN do whatever they decide in this scenario and Troy Vincent already stated that the solution won’t be perfect and there might not be equity. 

2 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

If NFL comes out and says before the weekend that bills and bengals do not play and somehow awards KC #1 if they win on saturday,  does Buffalo forfeit the game against Pats thereby getting  a rest week and not caring about #2 seed?

No. The 2 seed is relevant as the Bills would be guaranteed 2 home playoff games and the potential of hosting AFCC remains a realistic possibility. 

1 minute ago, die hard bills fan said:

If NFL comes out and says before the weekend that bills and bengals do not play and somehow awards KC #1 if they win on saturday,  does Buffalo forfeit the game against Pats thereby getting  a rest week and not caring about #2 seed?

Forfeit?  I doubt it.  Rest starters?  Quite possible.

Even though the #2 seed doesn't get a bye, they would still get HFA in the divisional round, so it's not exactly a "nothing to play for" situation.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I think that is a fair and respectful outcome. I'd like it. 

9 minutes ago, Patrick Fitzryan said:

conversationally saying that is different than literally quitting 

the nfl has also come out several times saying they did not intend to restart the game, contrary to the ESPN comment 

but you know these things 

7 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

no, they’d much rather host in a 2 v 3 showdown to go to the Super Bowl 

7 minutes ago, BLeonard said:

Forfeit?  I doubt it.  Rest starters?  Quite possible.

Even though the #2 seed doesn't get a bye, they would still get HFA in the divisional round, so it's not exactly a "nothing to play for" situation.

Resting starters and avoiding additional injuries is infinitely more important than HFA in the divisional round. Who cares about playing in Cincinnati vs Buffalo. 

Plus, the Patriots suck. Our backups are capable of beating them. Like they beat Miami by 50 in the exact same situation a couple years ago.

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

conversationally saying that is different than literally quitting 

the nfl has also come out several times saying they did not intend to restart the game, contrary to the ESPN comment 

but you know these things 

ESPN has also said multiple times and said that they were directly given that information from the NFL. Which is more likely -- Joe Buck making up the five-minute rule for no reason whatsoever, or Troy Vincent lying about it to avoid a PR nightmare? Use simple logic here.

1 minute ago, Process said:

Resting starters and avoiding additional injuries is infinitely more important than HFA in the divisional round. Who cares about playing in Cincinnati vs Buffalo. 

HFA in the playoffs os HUGE, particularly for this team, which is undefeated at home and winless on the road in January.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.