Playoff Solutions Assuming they don’t replay the Bengals game.

Locomark

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

Taking another L is an ultimate show of respect for Damar Hamlin? That's just flat out wrong.

Then write logical. Again, how is forcing us to take another L, to forfeit, is a sign of utmost respect for Damar Hamlin?

This isn't about how best to honor Damar Hamlin.  It's about finding a solution for the rest of the season that 32 teams will consider reasonably equitable.  It may be that the fairest, most equitable solution is to treat it as a Bills forfeit.  That's not the outcome that I'm hoping for, but it's not like it throws the universe out of alignment or anything -- it's the same outcome as if we had just lost a tough game to a good opponent.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I’ve said repeatedly they should schedule for after the Pats game.  I gave the other scenario as an option, never said it was likely or right.. just an option.  The one for it happening after thePats game seems the most logical, move everything back a week for playoffs and the winner be the #1 seed if everyone wins this weekend. 

In reality if you're going to speculate on replaying this game it would make more sense to skip the Patriots game and have the Bills play the Bengals next weekend because the Patriots game against the Bills does not matter much, at least the Bengals/Ravens game matters a little more but... If you want far fetched and a Bills lens than cancel the Bills/Pats game and Ravens/Bengals game. And have Buffalo at next weekend. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

In reality if you're going to speculate on replaying this game it would make more sense to skip the Patriots game and have the Bills play the Bengals next weekend because the Patriots game against the Bills does not matter much, at least the Bengals/Ravens game matters a little more but... If you want far fetched and a Bills lens than cancel the Bills/Pats game and Ravens/Bengals game. And have Buffalo at next weekend. 

Patriots-Bills has a bearing on the seventh seed - if the Patriots win they’re in. If not, and one of the Dolphins, Steelers or Titans win, then they’re out.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, UKBillFan said:

Patriots-Bills has a bearing on the seventh seed - if the Patriots win they’re in. If not, and one of the Dolphins, Steelers or Titans win, then they’re out.

7th seed < 1st seed

The first seed matters more. And the Patriots aren't important 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

Pats game matters to the Dolphins, Steelers, Pats, and technically Jaguars still though. All are looking at playoff implications with the result of our game against the Pats. 

The Pats game means a lot for the final playoff spot. Pats win they are in. (Lol as unlikely as that is) Pats lose and Miami wins they are in, both lose and Pitt wins they are in.. so yes the outcome does matter for a team to make the playoffs.. FYI I DONT want my Pats in I want them out of the playoffs they are not good enough. 

7th seed < 1st seed

The first seed matters more. And the Patriots aren't important 

They may not be important to you. Just like the other 31 teams, they are important to the NFL. And in some ways the seventh seed is more important than the first. Whatever happens, the Chiefs, Bills and Bengals are in the post season. The Pats, Dolphins, Steelers and Titans are not.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, vincec said:

Honestly, every other scenario besides just canceling the game seems far fetched to me. If you cancel the game you don’t disrupt dozens of schedules and you give the team a full week to get news and try to process what has happened before taking the field again. Playoff positions stay as is, which is disappointing for both Buffalo and Cincinnati but it is what it is.

Agreed. We wrote the same thing within a minute. It is by far the best solution. 

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

This isn't about how best to honor Damar Hamlin.  It's about finding a solution for the rest of the season that 32 teams will consider reasonably equitable.  It may be that the fairest, most equitable solution is to treat it as a Bills forfeit.  That's not the outcome that I'm hoping for, but it's not like it throws the universe out of alignment or anything -- it's the same outcome as if we had just lost a tough game to a good opponent.

I humbly disagree.

Forfeiting does throw the NFL universe out of alignment: we're not the number one seed anymore. Every little detail matters. So we're not just disrespecting Damar Hamlin, but also Josh Allen, Von Miller, Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis, Dion Dawkins, Poyer, Milano, Knox, the rest of the team, the coaching staff and trainers, Buffalo Bills fans, and the city of Buffalo.

Can't forfeit a game when the actual game ended in mid first quarter. Here are the options I'm getting from this thread:

1) Continue the game somewhere (which seems impossible).

2) Give us and Cincinnati a W.

3) Coin flip

Take your pick.

• Disagree 1

38 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

They should. They're not getting punished, but they're not getting rewarded either. It's a neutral move. No harm done.

It penalizes them. They were the favorite to win that game last night and were literally leading in the game.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If the game is canceled, flip a coin.  Best of 3. 

Makes sense logically but doesn't sit well with me, even if we win the toss. 

Forfeiting is out of the question. Is that what Hamlin would've wanted? Hell no. Loser mentality. "Just give it to em". 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Forfeit should be a non-starter.  This team has worked too hard to be essentially punished for a circumstance beyond anyone's control

If the Titans weren't forced to forfeit a game or multiple games a few years ago....and instead a handful of teams were negatively impacted

How can the league possibly justify a forfeit here

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Airseven said:

It penalizes them. They were the favorite to win that game last night and were literally leading in the game.

? Vegas had the Bills as the favorites to win last night unless the line shifted at the last minute and I didn't catch it.

The game ended mid first quarter. Score was 7-3, Cincinnati. Can't call the game. Too small sample size. If it was 3rd quarter, maybe.

Edited by Buffalo Ballin

I overheard on Good Morning Football a tweet from Shaq Lawson stating he is an emotional wreck. I agree with DrJax comments about the trauma of witnessing this is something you probably can’t  just brush off. 

I can’t see this game being played in a day or two. I can’t fathom asking asking the team to fly back to Cinci and play while Damar is still in ICU.

Whatever the Nfl decides I’m fine with. The whole incident just makes me sick to my stomach. At some point though I would think the decision needs to be made rather quickly with a Pats game looming. I don’t even know how the team shifts focus to the next game which does mean something to the Pats. 

Just now, Buffalo Ballin said:

? Vegas had the Bills as the favorites to win last night.

The game ended mid first quarter. Score was 7-3, Cincinnati. Can't call the game. Too small sample size. If it was 3rd quarter, maybe.

I’m not referring to Vegas odds. I’m referring to the reality of what was occurring on the field.

I do understand this “neutral” outcome is the preference here because it prevents the Bills from getting beat.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.