Shopping Cart-Related Anger

Gugny

Not cart related but supermarket relevant.

This pisses me off: The cashier has run up your items and given you a total. Then the customer rummages into their purse or pulls out their wallet to get their card to pay. 
Did they think they were getting this for free? Is there any reason they could not have the card ready to pay? And if I see them pull out a check, then I have to take a happy pill. 

• Agree 1

I wish the stores would either fix or take out of the cycle the carts with broken wheels. As nothing more frustrating then getting that cart with that front wheel that just won't spin or is on an odd angle. I agree with others and the people that can't put their carts away. It's not that difficult, Aldi's quarter locked carts seems to avoid a lot of this and/or for the real lazy's to just toss their carts to someone else coming into the store. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I wish the stores would either fix or take out of the cycle the carts with broken wheels. As nothing more frustrating then getting that cart with that front wheel that just won't spin or is on an odd angle. I agree with others and the people that can't put their carts away. It's not that difficult, Aldi's quarter locked carts seems to avoid a lot of this and/or for the real lazy's to just toss their carts to someone else coming into the store. 

I've gotten into the habit of quickly checking that the cart's wheels all work.  If I have room, I'll check the alignment, too.  I hate a cart that pulls to the left or right.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/20/2022 at 1:55 PM, Gugny said:

Obviously, when it comes to shopping cart-related anger, the first thing that comes to mind is the lazy pieces of sh*t who don't put their carts back in the corral when done.

But wait ... there's more!

I think the one that pisses me off the most is the people who walk BESIDE their carts down the aisles.  Hey ... (*^*&%^$^#.... YOU'RE TAKING TWO LANES, YOU SELFISH ASS!!!

I have more, but I want to see some others first.

This 100%.  

2 more.

When someone parks their cart and stares at items on the shelf as if they are making a decision their life depends on and are taking up 8 linear feet of shelf space.  I can see the 1 specific item I want/need but I have to wait for the Walking Dead to get out of the way.

When we are leaving the store to the front of the checkout lanes and the person in front of me's brain starts malfunctioning and they just stop to either check their receipt, or adjust items in their purse.

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

This 100%.  

2 more.

When someone parks their cart and stares at items on the shelf as if they are making a decision their life depends on and are taking up 8 linear feet of shelf space.  I can see the 1 specific item I want/need but I have to wait for the Walking Dead to get out of the way.

When we are leaving the store to the front of the checkout lanes and the person in front of me's brain starts malfunctioning and they just stop to either check their receipt, or adjust items in their purse.

The one area where I feel like I might take too much time is the spices.  They're never in any logical order and sometimes I get stumped.  But I do try to make sure I'm not in anyone's way.  Many times, there will  be someone else having trouble finding a spice, so I'll tell them what I'm looking for/ask them what they're looking for so we can help each other out and speed up the process!

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The one area where I feel like I might take too much time is the spices.  They're never in any logical order and sometimes I get stumped.  But I do try to make sure I'm not in anyone's way.  Many times, there will  be someone else having trouble finding a spice, so I'll tell them what I'm looking for/ask them what they're looking for so we can help each other out and speed up the process!

Amazing... You are a no fuss, no muss guy at the town agora, but turn into Chatty Cathy in the spice aisle. There's hope for you after all! 😉 

Alphabetized spices is no logical order? If you're looking for the cardamom... Look in the "CA's". Upper left depending how long the shelves are. 😉 😜 

And anyway... Everyone should be banned from public spaces if they don't step into the space first with the top thing on their minds: "Consideration of others." That's all it takes folks and usually everything goes fine. Yup, that's right... No punch-ups in the cereal aisle with the 90 year old grumpy fella. 

Really. How hard is it to wait and stay outta people's way? Whatya, all live alone on a desert island? @GoBills808 you don't have to answer this! 😉 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/20/2022 at 2:30 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Speaking of shopping carts, there was a thread here somewhere on The Board... About shopping carts as the ultimate societal litmus test. It was put out there by Glenn Danzig:

https://movemequotes.com/glenn-danzig-quote-on-shopping-carts/

Did you ever catch it?

"The shopping cart is the ultimate litmus test for whether a person is capable of self-governing. To return the shopping cart is an easy, convenient task and one which we all recognize as the correct, appropriate thing to do. To return the shopping cart is objectively right. There are no situations other than dire emergencies in which a person is not able to return their cart. Simultaneously, it is not illegal to abandon your shopping cart. Therefore the shopping cart presents itself as the apex example of whether a person will do what is right without being forced to do it. No one will punish you for not returning the shopping cart, no one will fine you or kill you for not returning the shopping cart, you gain nothing by returning the shopping cart. You must return the shopping cart out of the goodness of your own heart. You must return the shopping cart because it is the right thing to do. Because it is correct. A person who is unable to do this is no better than an animal, an absolute savage who can only be made to do what is right by threatening them a law and the force that stands behind it. The Shopping Cart is what determines whether a person is a good or bad member of society.”

~Glenn Danzig

Interesting.  You'd think a Satan worshipper wouldn't GAF about shopping carts.  Or people.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

To avoid carts (here we call them "baskets") abandoned in the parking lot, our local/regional supermarket chain (United/Market Street) has employees (mostly school kids, some retirees) who push your cart to your car, load the stuff in your car, and take the cart back. You can imagine my culture shock when we moved from Rochester to Lubbock and I was shopping in the supermarket for the first time. After paying, there was suddenly this kid who wanted to steal my cart - I had to fight for it to be able to push it to my car. I was quite embarrassed after I had learned the local custom of "take out to register 11". How widely distributed is this service?

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I usually try to make my layovers about an hour or more, and get a window seat, so I can just sit there and wait till enough people are gone from around my row, before I start to get off.  

Another tip, don't put your carryon in the bin over your seats.  Put it in the bins over the seats on the other side of the aisle.  Think about it.  You stand up, get in the aisle, then have to turn around to grab your bag.  By putting it across the aisle, as you exit your row, you can just reach across to the bins on the other side and grab your bag at the same time. 

• Like (+1) 1

EVERY time I go to the grocery store, I am STUNNED at the level of cluelessness and self-centeredness displayed by my fellow shoppers.

Just look at how people position themselves and/or their carts so as to make perfect road blocks, or dawdle around then come to a dead stop in traffic areas...with absolutely no thought given to the idea that maybe there are other people in the store trying to shop and get around as well.

It never ceases to amaze me!  People lost in their own little world of idiocy.  

28bfa9faef101095ff7567f96eac9c35--cluele

grocery-store-safety-coronavirus.jpg

On 12/20/2022 at 2:33 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am gonna use this. @BringBackFergy thanks you for providing me knowledge! 😏 

Because you're not over 6 feet and can help short people reach to the top shelf. 

I stroll down an aisle since I was 17 and I am immediately pressed into service by the under 5'5" crowd.

#GoHelpSocietyElseWhere

#I'dHelpYouToo&MakeSmallTalkNeighbor

On 12/20/2022 at 2:39 PM, LeviF said:

If it's an old person I oblige. If it's a hot chick I try to get her to jump for it first. Everyone else is ignored.

A few months ago I was I was hurriedly pushing my cart past the milk/dairy refrigerator door section at the back of the store.  I realized, somewhat late, that there was a tiny little old lady waving at me.  She was probably 5'0" tall...early 80s at the youngest.  

She asked me if I could get her the half 'n half which was on the top shelf.

So I opened the door and noticed a bunch of them were off to the side where it was harder for me to reach.  I made an effort to get one of those anyway, and sure enough...it was a solid 7 days newer expiration date than the stuff more easily accessible.  So I reached to grab one of those and handed it to the woman.

I mentioned it was the best date up there.  She crossed her arms over her chest like to gesture a hug or some such, and said "Oh thank you so much!"

It made me feel good for a few days.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My wife's brother works for a data analysis company and one of their clients is United. He was telling us how a seemingly random boarding assignment actually fills the airplane faster than loading everyone from the back to front.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

A few months ago I was I was hurriedly pushing my cart past the milk/dairy refrigerator door section at the back of the store.  I realized, somewhat late, that there was a tiny little old lady waving at me.  She was probably 5'0" tall...early 80s at the youngest.  

So I opened the door and noticed a bunch of them were off to the side where it was harder for me to reach.  I made an effort to get one of those anyway, and sure enough...it was a solid 7 days newer expiration date than the stuff more easily accessible.  So I reached to grab one of those and handed it to the woman.

I mentioned it was the best date up there.  She crossed her arms over her chest like to gesture a hug or some such, and said "Oh thank you so much!"

You did good! Short, elderly people at the mercy of the milk cartel!  BigDairy won't win!

😊

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

EVERY time I go to the grocery store, I am STUNNED at the level of cluelessness and self-centeredness displayed by my fellow shoppers.

Just look at how people position themselves and/or their carts so as to make perfect road blocks, or dawdle around then come to a dead stop in traffic areas...with absolutely no thought given to the idea that maybe there are other people in the store trying to shop and get around as well.

It never ceases to amaze me!  People lost in their own little world of idiocy.  

28bfa9faef101095ff7567f96eac9c35--cluele

grocery-store-safety-coronavirus.jpg

That's why they should add these to shopping carts:

kids-bike-horn-blue.jpg?&f=800x800

• Haha (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Come on man, you missed the signs.  A widow lady, in distress, the milk aisle…waving you down for help?    By 80 she surely swings by the local gas station and grabs 10 to 12 hazelnut pods because she likes her small cup of coffee “light”.  She probably hasn’t bought creamer since Jimmy Carter was President. 

Half and half is the upside down pineapple of the dairy world.  It’s a story as old as time, my naive friend, and there ain’t no expiration date on dat. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I often leave the cart with the Wifey who holds a bizarre fascination with looking at multiple brands of the same item.  While she is in the state of an immobile, perplexed shopping coma,  I go and pick up the next 25 items on the list in nanoseconds. I return and dump them in the cart. I then let her know when she makes her selection we are free to go to the checkout lane. 

It never fails that she looks at me bewildered.  She can’t believe that I could possibly have every other item on the list in the cart.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

I often leave the cart with the Wifey who holds a bizarre fascination with looking at multiple brands of the same item.  While she is in the state of an immobile, perplexed shopping coma,  I go and pick up the next 25 items on the list in nanoseconds. I return and dump them in the cart. I then let her know when she makes her selection we are free to go to the checkout lane. 

It never fails that she looks at me bewildered.  She can’t believe that I could possibly have every other item on the list in the cart.

This is the correct strategy. I did the same thing you did.

We used to go aisle to aisle while I pushed the cart. Then one day I decided to just keep going and finish the shopping while they were deciding.

Now When we get to the market, everyone scatters while I get everything on the list, then proceed to checkout where the family deposits what they picked out. They seem to prefer this method since they get more time to look, ,usually adding stuff not on the list... specific snacks, shampoos... etc.

This satisfies their need to "window shop" and wander. It also gives a time-limit; if they don't get back before the cart is scanned and paid, then it's not leaving the store.

Edited by unbillievable

19 hours ago, DrW said:

To avoid carts (here we call them "baskets") abandoned in the parking lot, our local/regional supermarket chain (United/Market Street) has employees (mostly school kids, some retirees) who push your cart to your car, load the stuff in your car, and take the cart back. You can imagine my culture shock when we moved from Rochester to Lubbock and I was shopping in the supermarket for the first time. After paying, there was suddenly this kid who wanted to steal my cart - I had to fight for it to be able to push it to my car. I was quite embarrassed after I had learned the local custom of "take out to register 11". How widely distributed is this service?

Go european and rent the carts out.

Get money back like the airport.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 12/21/2022 at 1:19 PM, The Jokeman said:

Even worse... I never return an Aldi cart... NEVER! I leave it anywhere...

...Gives a homeless person a quarter. Hope they change it to a dollar!

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

Go european and rent the carts out.

Get money back like the airport.

You'd never see me return a cart.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Maybe she is "quietly quitting?" Sounds like a grand plan! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.