I hope the Bills invest heavily into the offensive line this offseason

Einstein

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

A quick look at CBS Sports latest Mock Draft thread and their three writers have the Bills going with the following in Round One

Johnson, Safety…Texas A&M

Njigba, WR…Ohio State

Torrence, OL….Florida 

For what it’s worth.

Chad Reuter had a good write up on NFL.com where he took the top 20 Senior Bowl prospects with short Bios and NFL comparisons. Plenty of Oline prospects to ponder. I wouldn't be surprised with Torrence and Voorhees from USC. Maybe we can bring Teller back with a late rounder since Browns need picks, maybe Nelson?

I'm sure Beane knows he needs to build this line.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is the issue...yes we need OL help, there is no doubt about that, and no doubt it will be addressed in some way.

But...while it easy to look at THIS team right now, with these EXACT players on it and say OL will 100% be the first round pick, the reality is, this team could look much different on draft night with several massive holes to fill.  

So, my point is, for those expecting there is no option but OL in the first, I think you are premature on that and I expect Beane to do what he always does, stay true to his board and take BPA...and that, might be a defensive player.  I am NOT advocating for a defensive player, I am not advocating for anything actually, just looking at the reality of where our holes could be come draft night and realizing Beane has 100% stayed true to his board in the past, and I don't expect him to do anything again but that.  

There are real questions about whether Hyde or Poyer will be here next year, so we could have a hole at safety.  Big decision on Edmunds looming, so could have a big hole at LB.  We also have potential DL issues with Von out, and not knowing if Jordan and Shaq can be resigned yet.  

We also have Devin as a FA, and Cook isn't a 3 down RB IMO, so I don't think he is the answer.  He goes down too easy and can't gain the tough yards.  

Then there is the glaring need for another WR.  

Now, some of these, including OL, could be addressed in FA.  But we don't have a lot to spend either in FA, so a lot of this will come down to who they retain and who they sign.  

Just saying, big yes OL is an issue that will need to be addressed this year.  But come draft night, we could potentially have glaring holes at OL, S, LB, WR, and RB (in no particular order) and I do not under any circumstance believe Beane will reach with that pick, instead he will do what he always does and will take BPA, and that guy could be from any of those positions depending on the decisions made prior to the draft. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

I agree with most everything Cowherd said this morning. Dolphins outplayed and out-coached the Bills, but Allen won the game. It’s amazing they’re stuck in this same spot over-relying on Allen going into yet another postseason. It’s not sustainable. Yes, 3 of the first 5 picks need to be OL (and they should’ve been last spring too!).

• Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Chad Reuter had a good write up on NFL.com where he took the top 20 Senior Bowl prospects with short Bios and NFL comparisons. Plenty of Oline prospects to ponder. I wouldn't be surprised with Torrence and Voorhees from USC. Maybe we can bring Teller back with a late rounder since Browns need picks, maybe Nelson?

He should be on the "visit" list.

28 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Not sure getting Teller back is doable, but I do think the Browns will cut or trade Joel Bitonio. They will be up against it and Jack Conklin is a free agent. Bitonio is the perfect fit at left guard in this offense. Super athletic with a mean streak. 

• Like (+1) 2

As much as I would love the Buffalo Bills to field the NFLs best offensive line. Having Josh Allen at QB has proven that hasn't been a necessity. 

I even dislike mentioning it...however, age, injuries often catch up with all elite athletes...eventually.

I agree that the Buffalo Bills should be building the very best offensive line this offseason just to prepare for that eventuality. Build that run game to control the game/clock...which will simply allow Josh Allen to be more dominant with the passing game. 

Last season's playoff push has shown what Josh Allen can do when given time in the pocket to throw...unstoppable!  It was that "prevent" defense that killed them in KC.

Balance though...Defense does win Championships. Of the 110 teams to reach the SB, 88 of them fielded a top 10 in scoring. Of the 55 SB champs, 48 had a top 10 scoring defense. 

5 hours ago, WideNine said:

That's fair.

He has so many of the "other" things you want in a TE, I am rooting for him to become that reliable receiving option every game.

We need that, because when he is dialed in you can see what a positive impact he has on our ability to move the ball and score in the RZ.

Every off season you read many posts here, imagine if we had a TE like Kelse.  Well yeah but around 28 other teams are saying the same and many of those have early draft picks who could easily grab that guy, but to no avail.  Him and the guy in SF and maybe Pitts appear to be unicorns, but after that there's some mini unicorns, maybe Knox is one of them and a large number of Tyler Kroft, Hooper types. 

Who was the FA TE the Bills signed 6 or 7 years ago from Miami who was going to be great, but ended up being average.

8 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Every off season you read many posts here, imagine if we had a TE like Kelse.  Well yeah but around 28 other teams are saying the same and many of those have early draft picks who could easily grab that guy, but to no avail.  Him and the guy in SF and maybe Pitts appear to be unicorns, but after that there's some mini unicorns, maybe Knox is one of them and a large number of Tyler Kroft, Hooper types. 

Who was the FA TE the Bills signed 6 or 7 years ago from Miami who was going to be great, but ended up being average.

Charles Clay

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/18/2022 at 8:33 AM, dollars 2 donuts said:

We have a 45 million dollar qb.

A line that is better than above average when 100% healthy and a true 1A receiver with wheels should probably be pretty high on the list for success.

in another thread I half seriously had the draft going…

1. WR

2. OL

3. WR

4. OL

5. WR

5. RB

i am completely willing to change that up as necessary between these two primary positions, but we are going to need more help in free agency.

I can see this too, except for the RB part.  Too many other needs.  There will be RB’s galore on waivers etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Truth.

The guy I wanted the Bills to target over Knox ended up needing back surgery after 3 games went on IR, came back the next season and broke a bone in his foot during non-contact drills and went to IR again.

Traded to another team so..... in hindsight those may be freak accidents, but glad we went the Knox route.

The great ones are very hard to find, and the good ones are worth the investment to help them continue to hone their craft.

5 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Truth.

The guy I wanted the Bills to target over Knox ended up needing back surgery after 3 games went on IR, came back the next season and broke a bone in his foot during non-contact drills and went to IR again.

Traded to another team so..... in hindsight those may be freak accidents, but glad we went the Knox route.

The great ones are very hard to find, and the good ones are worth the investment to help them continue to hone their craft.

The guy drafted by Denver then traded last year to Seattle as part of the Wilson trade??

51 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Problem is that Kelce is pretty much a generational talent at TE.  Hard to fine those. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The guy drafted by Denver then traded last year to Seattle as part of the Wilson trade??

Nah... was entrigued back in '19 by Josh Oliver - size speed and very good hands out of San Jose and more of a catcher than a blocker. What I liked and what I thought Allen needed back then was a big target with a great catching radius, hands, and ability to get contested balls. The Bills had a shot at him in the draft, but he was picked up by the Jags. Tested out well at the combine too. 

But then all the injuries and he was finally traded to the Ravens. Now he looks a lot more bulky and like his best fit would be limited role as blocking TE, although he has caught some short EZ passes for TDs for them.

We got the better end of the deal with Knox, especially when it comes to the durability aspect. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

It unreal...but it appears like they drafted Boogie because they missed on Epenesa, then missed even worse by drafting Boogie. He looks like hot garbage in run defense, kid couldn't set the table let alone set the edge. 

We all knew Creed Humphrey was a sure thing. 

Boogie was by far the highest rated player on Bills board and BPA

On 12/18/2022 at 4:52 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

Ton of hindsight here. That season we were comin off afccg loss to kc. We couldnt do anything to slow him, and our offense was at its peak.

Looking back, two des wasnt crazy at all. Hoping development still mskes this look like the best decision

No hindsight I actually thought at that time the Bills were going to draft Humphrey. Humphrey should of been a first rd pick . If u wanna talk about the KC game in the playoffs our interior Oline got there asses kicked as well. We couldn’t run block or pass block. The point is McD uses to much assets on our defense while leaving our offense out to dry especially on the Oline it’s an imbalance that needs to be addressed.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/20/2022 at 2:28 AM, Pete said:

Boogie was by far the highest rated player on Bills board and BPA

Boogie wasn’t the highest rated player on the board in general some draftniks had him as 3rd/4th rd pick. He was a guy McD wanted that was McD pick and it was a horrible pick at the time and still is a horrible pick. Beane needs to have full control of the draft and address both sides of the ball equally. If u look at our drafts most of the higher rd pks are spent on the defense especially on the dline . The problem with that is we’re not getting a influx of young talent on the Oline, Wrs and other positions of the defense such as safety Hyde and Poyer are getting old we need to have there replacements in house. 

On 12/18/2022 at 2:59 PM, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

And then wasting a pick on Bernard over Parham is unacceptable too. My worry is Beane isn’t good at drafting o lineman either. Spencer Brown sucks. 

U can add RB to the list of Beane sucks at drafting as well. 

6 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Boogie wasn’t the highest rated player on the board in general some draftniks had him as 3rd/4th rd pick. He was a guy McD wanted that was McD pick and it was a horrible pick at the time and still is a horrible pick. Beane needs to have full control of the draft and address both sides of the ball equally. If u look at our drafts most of the higher rd pks are spent on the defense especially on the dline . The problem with that is we’re not getting a influx of young talent on the Oline, Wrs and other positions of the defense such as safety Hyde and Poyer are getting old we need to have there replacements in house. 

U can add RB to the list of Beane sucks at drafting as well. 

Adding Gregory Rousseau, the defensive end from Miami who two seasons ago finished second in the nation in sacks, wasn''t good enough for the Buffalo Bills. They had to have Wake Forest defensive end Carlos "Boogie" Basham Jr. in the second round too.

In fact, if they couldn't get him with the 61st overall pick, they were going to trade down, according to general manager Brandon Beane.

"What we try to do prior to the draft is just set us up to take the best player on our board," he said. "That's what we've done."

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/bills-hit-their-target-with-boogie-basham

Edited by Pete

On 12/19/2022 at 11:47 AM, Airseven said:

I agree with most everything Cowherd said this morning. Dolphins outplayed and out-coached the Bills, but Allen won the game. It’s amazing they’re stuck in this same spot over-relying on Allen going into yet another postseason. It’s not sustainable. Yes, 3 of the first 5 picks need to be OL (and they should’ve been last spring too!).

I don’t get it it’s like you post everything the opposite of reality

in the first fins game, we totally controlled the time of possession for the whole game and barely lost with that also be a case of the bills coaching, coaching the Miami’s coaching

In the second game, we played to our strengths, and we won

Miami is not out coaching us as a matter fact it’s the exact opposite, because Miami is better at many offensive positions than we are except for one

Our coaching is beating their talent

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.