Updated Beasley signing to practice squad

Niagara Dude

12 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

No I didn't... actually I saw what he said and it resonated with me. I've had a brutal past couple of years and he was right. If anything I feel like Uncle Billy these days... age has taken its toll.

Many blessings to you!  I hope Bease has an immediate impact for the offense

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Allen's recent numbers are NOT great, FTR. They are "cleaner" lately, which has been good enough against some meh offenses (and good defenses). 

After an 8-game span of historically ELITE performance (2021 playoffs through week 6 of 2022), we CANNOT ignore Allen's sudden and stark regression beginning with the 2nd half against GB and lasting into the 4th quarter of the Thanksgiving game. There are SO many contributing factors to this regression to the mean, including injuries to Allen and his supporting cast, but NONE of that excuses Allen's sudden refusal to take what defenses give him and distribute the ball patiently and precisely. 

He kinda got the yips, TBH. Of course we still saw flashes of the absolute maestro he's become, but over the course of those 3-4 games we saw a surprising amount of bad reps from #17. It happens over the course of a career. He's by no means alone in the blame for these uncharacteristic stumbles. 

As for his supporting cast, they'd look a HECK of a lot better if the offense designed more plays for Knox. Use HIM as the #2 option, maybe? Let Davis be a third or even fourth option on some plays and see if that operates better. People weren't so down on Buffalo's skill positions last season, seemingly. And I KNOW Sanders wasn't some plus target down the stretch. 

It wasnt all a disaster from the GB game to the Detroit game. Allen and the offense were very good against Cleveland and also Josh was very good against Minny until he short circuited in the 4th quarter with 2 picks and a fumble. With 10mins left in the 4th quarter Josh was 22/29 for 262 1TD and 0 turnovers. I know he had an all time disaster 4th but we were not an inept offense for 4 weeks straight.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Putin said:

Wow dude take it easy !!!

If the locker room felt the way you do Beasley wouldn’t be here , obviously that is not the case actually his teammates love him !!! 

Seems some folks take words or difference of opinion as if they stole something or physically hurt them.  

Whatever happened to the saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"

Edited by CaliBills

1 hour ago, CaliBills said:

Seems some folks take words or difference of opinion as if they stole something or physically hurt them.  

Whatever happened to the saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"

That truism is demonstrably false. Words can create wounds that last a lifetime -- though, of course, I know what you mean. The snowflake generation has taken the need for civility in dialectical discourse and turned it into a weapon of insularity and intolerance. And the real wisdom in the classic aphorism is that one ought to be indifferent towards the insults of the wicked and the dim. In short, don't worry about what Fin fans say.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

That truism is demonstrably false. Words can create wounds that last a lifetime -- though, of course, I know what you mean. The snowflake generation has taken the need for civility in dialectical discourse and turned it into a weapon of insularity and intolerance. And the real wisdom in the classic aphorism is that one ought to be indifferent towards the insults of the wicked and the dim. In short, don't worry about what Fin fans say.

thanks Dr...... 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Limeaid said:

So Cole is playing the Joe Pesci character Tommy DeVito since Danny DeVito is not available, right?

My play is this pic foreshadows the offensive  stats leaders from tomorrow going into the playoffs 🙂 hahahaaa GO BILLS!~!~!!! 

4 minutes ago, muppy said:

My play is this pic foreshadows the offensive  stats leaders from tomorrow going into the playoffs 🙂 hahahaaa GO BILLS!~!~!!! 

Cole Beasley always seemed to be a Joe Pesci type of wise guy to me although I think many on this site and Pat(hetic)s would want it to be Isaiah McKenzie.

22 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Nyheim Hines is a running back.  He is not a wide receiver.

He's been being used in 2-back sets (Pony formation) on a variable number of snaps - 23 vs NE, 10 vs the Jets.

I'm kinda puzzled as to why someone would think an RB would make a "perfect" slot receiver.

He is 1 of the best pass catching RB in the league just nobody knows how to utilize him properly. He'd be around a 75 catch RB in a Brady lead offense no doubt in my mind. He could easily be an Austin Ekler type for us if we used him properly. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

He is 1 of the best pass catching RB in the league just nobody knows how to utilize him properly. He'd be around a 75 catch RB in a Brady lead offense no doubt in my mind. He could easily be an Austin Ekler type for us if we used him properly. 

And I'd love to see it, just as I'd love to see Cook being more reliable and used more often.

But he's still not a slot receiver, and using him properly would not mean "use him as a slot receiver", even if he would be lining up wide and running a route from time to time.

2 hours ago, jletha said:

It wasnt all a disaster from the GB game to the Detroit game. Allen and the offense were very good against Cleveland and also Josh was very good against Minny until he short circuited in the 4th quarter with 2 picks and a fumble. With 10mins left in the 4th quarter Josh was 22/29 for 262 1TD and 0 turnovers. I know he had an all time disaster 4th but we were not an inept offense for 4 weeks straight.

I agree, our offense was good against Cleveland.  But to the point of the OP you're responding to: we were good against Cleveland by changing it up - running an unusual (for us) number of 2 TE and 2 back personnel packages.  We actually rushed more times than we passed - 33 rushes, 27 passing attempts - and only 3 of the rush attempts were Josh Allen.  Singletary and Cook both had 86 yards.

I don't think our offense has been inept, or we wouldn't be winning games.  But it hasn't been the same as it was earlier in the season, either.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 2

I agree. Even in the examples listed where running backs routinely do damage catching balls, Brady and Herbert still usually have Godwin and Keenan Allen in the slot running routes or blocking at the same time the rb is receiving.

The CMC types who can line up in the slot and win routes consistently are a whole different breed imo.

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Allen's recent numbers are NOT great, FTR. They are "cleaner" lately, which has been good enough against some meh offenses (and good defenses). 

After an 8-game span of historically ELITE performance (2021 playoffs through week 6 of 2022), we CANNOT ignore Allen's sudden and stark regression beginning with the 2nd half against GB and lasting into the 4th quarter of the Thanksgiving game. There are SO many contributing factors to this regression to the mean, including injuries to Allen and his supporting cast, but NONE of that excuses Allen's sudden refusal to take what defenses give him and distribute the ball patiently and precisely. 

He kinda got the yips, TBH. Of course we still saw flashes of the absolute maestro he's become, but over the course of those 3-4 games we saw a surprising amount of bad reps from #17. It happens over the course of a career. He's by no means alone in the blame for these uncharacteristic stumbles. 

As for his supporting cast, they'd look a HECK of a lot better if the offense designed more plays for Knox. Use HIM as the #2 option, maybe? Let Davis be a third or even fourth option on some plays and see if that operates better. People weren't so down on Buffalo's skill positions last season, seemingly. And I KNOW Sanders wasn't some plus target down the stretch. 

QB's even Mahomes go through rough patches every season.  The reasons for Allen's drop in production are those that you outlined:  injuries to Allen and other offensive players - but also include a tough schedule & bad weather.

And I don't believe Allen is "refusing" to take what defenses are giving him.  At least I've yet to see compelling evidence of this.

As for Knox, it appears he is desperately needed to shore up pass & run blocking.

When you take an honest look at the Bills offense from top to bottom it's been a case of smoke & mirrors where the elite play of Allen & Diggs has masked a great many deficiencies.  It's not surprising that defenses have adjusted to what the Bills actually can do and made it harder for them to keep doing it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

QB's even Mahomes go through rough patches every season.  The reasons for Allen's drop in production are those that you outlined:  injuries to Allen and other offensive players - but also include a tough schedule & bad weather.

And I don't believe Allen is "refusing" to take what defenses are giving him.  At least I've yet to see compelling evidence of this.

As for Knox, it appears he is desperately needed to shore up pass & run blocking.

When you take an honest look at the Bills offense from top to bottom it's been a case of smoke & mirrors where the elite play of Allen & Diggs has masked a great many deficiencies.  It's not surprising that defenses have adjusted to what the Bills actually can do and made it harder for them to keep doing it. 

yes, 3 ints at Denver. He offered them a victory and they rudely declined. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/12/gone-but-not-forgotten-inside-the-phone-call-that-led-cole-beasley-back-to-the-bills.html

Talks about how Beane missed a phone call from Cole Beasley while traveling the day after Thanksgiving.  Says they had a lot of things to work through before Beasley signed.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that one of the things they had to work out in Beane's mind, was whether or not OBJ was ready to play and interested in signing here.

When McKenzie heard about Beasley reaching out to Beane, he took to Twitter to make his case. He told his old friend to give him a call so he could explain how much the team wanted him back.

“He can teach us a lot of things, especially in the slot for me,” McKenzie said. “But just off the field, he’s a great guy. We can hang out with him off the field, you know, do anything. I mean, even though he’s like 33 now. He’s still young, we can play basketball and stuff like that. But he’s just a good guy to have around - a leader and everything.”

Does anyone else kind of do a double-take at the notion of 5'8" Beasley and 5'7" McKenzie playing basketball?  I know Beasley can dunk.   A while back Bills social media put up a clip of Knox and Sweeney playing Horse (spoiler: they were bad) and at one point Beasley walked by, grabbed the ball from one of their misses and casually sunk a 3 pointer on the way through: "WATER!".   I believe McKenzie played basketball in HS; he posts off-season clips of himself playing rec league basketball sometimes. 

So it wouldn't surprise me if they could kick butt against some of the bigger players.  But the visual seems hysterically funny.  Like picture Spencer Brown trying to get a steal.  Or if Beasley threw an elbow, where would it hit?

8 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I mean, do you watch film?  What "compelling evidence" do you wish?

He is, but he typically blocks or chips and then leaks out and runs a route.  Elsewhere I posted one example of this, where the Jets actually appear to have planned around this.

There's some truth to this, but there are also points that mistakes (INTs) played a role, and that there are plays to be had.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I think you are having a selective memory of last year, the talk down the stretch was “Beasley is washed”, either “get McKenzie more involved” or “you can’t trust McKenzie!”, “RB with 1st pick!” Etc.  People got their hopes up that Davis was going to be the savior this year and he’s been exactly what he has always been, inconsistent.  He’s a nice #3 or 4, no where near the second #1 the delusionals had in mind. 

It’s actually an easy argument to show the Bills elected to decrease talent vs last year if you look at who they let walk vs what they didn’t replace them with.   Hopefully, Beasley can be effective for 8 weeks, that could be the difference of real SB aspirations and another January where the players don’t need to debate if they should have a dome in Buffalo from their couch. 

But Allen was playing at an ELITE level with this same cast until he wasn't. It's not primarily about his supporting cast, except that maybe Allen feels more pressure to be a hero if we believe he sees his weapons as unreliable. Either way, he fell back into bad habits. He got sloppy, mechanically and cognitively. Hopefully, Beasley helps him regain his zen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, jletha said:

100% agree. Catch is, if an otherwise great QB logs just ONE bad quarter per game, that QB is not playing great anymore. Allen went from a historically great stretch to suddenly posting these quarters or entire halves of puzzling regression. There could be SO many legitimate explanations for this regression to the mean, but the fact is that #17 was overcoming all those explanations until suddenly he wasn't. 

I'm sure he'll learn from and grow because of this adversity, and hopefully the team (and coaching) around him will do the same. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.