Bengals Get Monday Off After Beating KC... Show up to work Monday anyway.

ArtVandalay

18 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I agree with everything here, but your point was even stronger given the fact that TEN was the #1 seed in 2021. They lost a close game to the #4 seeded Bengals in the divisional round.

Thanks for the correction FrenchConnection. Edited my post to reflect that.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In each of the seasons the Bills have been competitive under McDermott they have had a mid-season malaise.

Typically that involves unforeseen home "no show" asskjickings to teams like Philly or Indy..........or a stunning loss like the 9-6 defeat to the worst team in football last season.

This season their malaise lasted 5 games with the damage being stunningly blowing huge second half leads to the Jets and Vikings in back to back weeks.

As I've said before.......if you expect to finish with the #1 seed in one of these season you need to have one where you do not string together month plus long stretches like that.

Of the last 40 #1 seeds in either conference in the NFL only ONE has finished with a sub .750 win %.

i don’t disagree with anything above, and yes, it is frustrating.  Those losses that cost them can obviously be pointed to the results of the circumstances they found themselves in the playoffs…that and not being able to win on the road in January.

However, that does not change my earlier comment. Right now they are on top.  If you think they are going to lose I will not even argue with that.  However, this is the first time this late in the season they have been the 1 seed since 1993.

We have to beat the remaining teams, including the bengals to finish at 1…but the Bengals have to, as well, and they are in that position because of what they didn’t do earlier in the season.

I can neither weep for them, nor be impressed, because they were without their starting wr for awhile.

We have been devastated by injuries, we have had remarkable adversity.  The storm was the s*** and the illness was crazy.  We will play more road games this year than any team in nfl history that wasn’t going through a new stadium build, or dislocation due to damage.

…and we sit at 1.

All things considered I’m good and I am not looking with envy at the actions of other teams…coming in on Mondays because they are so hardcore.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

15 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/joe-burrow-bengals-went-to-work-despite-being-off-following-win-over-chiefs

Talk about a massive difference of culture and player commitment. 

Now to be clear 1 day a week off is mandated by the CBA on a normal week.  3 days off is mandated after a Thursday game long week. 

However, it is up to the players to do with that time as they see fit, for the Bills we got players leaving town, for the Bengals, they are showing up to get better. 

Culture like this is the difference between winning teams and Championship teams. We got guys hopping on planes to chill, they got guys bucking down in the most important stretch of the season.

Meanwhile, Bills have not played anywhere near their potential since the bye and the Bengals have gotten better going 6-1 in their last 7 despite missing their top offensive weapon, who is now returning. 

Bengals pose every much a threat as the Chiefs, this Monday night game week 17 is going to be very telling. Hope the Bills get their stuff together.

Bills just played 3 road games in 12 days !!! 
WTH are you talking about ??? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, folz said:

I think this is a little bit of the grass is always greener. We suffer from a bit of Bills myopia. We focus on and scrutinize our own team so much that we don't always have a balanced perspective on the rest of the league. Let me throw a few things out there.

First, over the last 5 years, 10 teams have qualified as a #1 seed (AFC/NFC). Do you know how many of them won a Super Bowl? One. Yes, only 1 number one seed of the last 10 won the big game. No question the first seed is great to have, can't beat home field advantage, but it is no guarantee of a Lombardi.

Also, you act as if other top teams don't go through ups and downs during a season, like the Bills do. Let's look at the last 4 years (the last 8 #1 seeds). These are the teams with the best records that year and yet all but one (KC in 2020) had a "Bills/McDermott-like" slump. 

Tenn: 2021 #1 AFC seed: lost 2 of 4 to start the year, then lost 3 of 4 games between weeks 11-15.

GB: 2021 NFC #1 seed: lost 2 out of 3 games in a stretch between weeks 9 and 11.

KC: 2020 AFC #1 seed: No slump or stretch of bad games.

GB: 2020 NFC #1 seed: lost 3 of 6 in a stretch from weeks 6-11.

Balt: 2019 AFC #1 seed: lost 2 games in a row (weeks 3-4)

49ers: 2019 NFC #1 seed: lost 3 of 6 games between weeks 10-15.

KC: 2018 AFC #1 seed: lost 3 of 5 games between weeks 11-16.

NO: 2018 NFC #1 seed: lost 2 of their last 5 games.

And If KC is currently the standard, well in the last 5 years, only once did they avoid the type of slump that you are describing for McDermott/the Bills. Four out of five years they suffered a similar or actually worse slump: 

2021: lost 4 out of 6 games between weeks 2 and 7 (including a 27-3 drubbing by the Titans and an 18 point loss to the Bills).

2020: No slump...but didn't win the SB.

2019: lost 4 of 6 games between weeks 5 and 10.

2018: lost 3 of 5 games between weeks 11-16.

2017: lost 6 games in a 7-game stretch---though that was with Alex Smith at QB, not Mahomes

I think you may be putting too much into this slump thing for the Bills. Every team has ups and downs based on many different factors throughout the year (injuries, travel, adjustments, defenses catching up to offenses, etc., etc.). And it's just hard to maintain the same passion, confidence, execution for 17 weeks straight, especially when you are a top team and everyone is gunning for you every week. The NFL season is long.

Sure and if the Bills can just win 8 straight.........a very reasonable expectation at some point in a #1 seed season for the team that entered it as the consensus SB favorite.........then they will have the #1 seed in the AFC this season.

I'm well aware of ALL of the seasons that have been had by teams that attained the #1 seed.   I don't have "Bills myopia".....I follow the NFL in real time every season like that.  

There are many combinations to get to the minimum .750 win % or better that has been needed for 39 of the past 40 #1 seeds to get the job done.

But the problem for the Bills has been that they have had the same issue at midseason EVERY year.   

It's not a "well that year this and this year that" thing........it's a habit.  

This season with just 2 consecutive losses and a last second escape in Detroit they seem to have avoided the more serious damage that they self inflicted in 2017, 2019, 2020 and 2021 when that slump resulted in 3-5 losses EVERY time.      

They dodged a similar bullet in 2020 when they appeared to be about to lose a 3rd game in a month to the Patriots before Justin Zimmer stripped Cam Newton in the closing minute as he was heading toward the end zone and a 7th straight Patriots win over Sean McDermott.    They still lost a 3rd in Arizona before their bye........but they didn't bury their home field hopes entirely in their malaise like they did in 2021.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

16 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/joe-burrow-bengals-went-to-work-despite-being-off-following-win-over-chiefs

Talk about a massive difference of culture and player commitment. 

Now to be clear 1 day a week off is mandated by the CBA on a normal week.  3 days off is mandated after a Thursday game long week. 

However, it is up to the players to do with that time as they see fit, for the Bills we got players leaving town, for the Bengals, they are showing up to get better. 

Culture like this is the difference between winning teams and Championship teams. We got guys hopping on planes to chill, they got guys bucking down in the most important stretch of the season.

Meanwhile, Bills have not played anywhere near their potential since the bye and the Bengals have gotten better going 6-1 in their last 7 despite missing their top offensive weapon, who is now returning. 

Bengals pose every much a threat as the Chiefs, this Monday night game week 17 is going to be very telling. Hope the Bills get their stuff together.

Are they showing up tomorrow too? I hope they do!

15 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

i don’t disagree with anything above, and yes, it is frustrating.  Those losses that cost them can obviously be pointed to the results of the circumstances they found themselves in the playoffs…that and not being able to win on the road in January.

However, that does change my earlier comment. Right now they are on top.  If you think they are going to lose I will not even argue with that.  However, this is the first time this late in the season they have been the 1 seed since 1993.

We have to beat the remaining teams, including the bengals to finish at 1…but the Bengals have to, as well, and they are in that position because of what they didn’t do earlier in the season.

I can neither weep for them, nor be impressed, because they were without their starting wr for awhile.

We have been devastated by injuries, we have had remarkable adversity.  The storm was the s*** and the illness was crazy.  We will play more road games this year than any team in nfl history that wasn’t going through a new stadium build, or dislocation due to damage.

…and we sit at 1.

All things considered I’m good and I am not looking with envy at the actions of other teams…coming in on Mondays because they are so hardcore.

In past years, we have had some stinkers where we have gotten blown out by teams all of our losses this year I’ve come by a combined eight points or something like that

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

This was laughed at by some... but after Sunday the commitment from coaching staff and teams was drastically on display. 

This weekthe Bills had the day off on Tuesday as required, but then McDermott also gave the players an extra day off for a family day on Saturday... the day before the Divisional Playoff... against the defending AFC Champs... inexcusable. And it showed big time who was prepared who wasn't. 

Coaching staff needs to go. Not Chamionship caliber. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ArtVandalay said:

This was laughed at by some... but after Sunday the commitment from coaching staff and teams was drastically on display. 

This weekthe Bills had the day off on Tuesday as required, but then McDermott also gave the players an extra day off for a family day on Saturday... the day before the Divisional Playoff... against the defending AFC Champs... inexcusable. And it showed big time who was prepared who wasn't. 

For once we agree on something Arty.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

in their defense, they were gassed.  

if they played a health Miami team last week they probably wouldn't even have to worry about this week.  they looked defeated and done.

4 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I hadnt heard they had Saturday off.    Kind of inexcusable. 

4 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

you come across as spiteful and somewhat unhinged at times, but you are 100% bang on with this one Arthur.

the team is soft from the head down.  we are too emotional as a team, and it takes a toll that we can't cover.

last year when indy was blowing us out the building in a light rain at home, i thought they must have a solid DL and a great OL, as they brought us near defeat in allen's first home playoff game the year before, and they do have some talent, but the got ground down last season and this season by teams we beat.  what it was is they played hard and fast and targeted the weakness of our team and it got no response from our coaches and our guys could see that and basically quit.  it happened the season prior vs Tenn, and KC.  it happened the year before that against philly in a windy playoff game, and now it just happened w the bengals.

from what i can see, diggs and milano were the only players (i'll except allen as he's our whole freaking team) to like call out that the team was not playing w energy.

this team didn't want to be in the playoffs last night, and it showed, and our coaches have to wear that as much as the 13 second debacle last season. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.