NFL warns it will punish teams for faking injuries

Fleezoid

14 hours ago, Reks Ryan said:

You have it reversed.  1988 the Bengals had a hurry up offense. They accused the Bills of faking injuries to slow them down and make subs.

The Bills no huddle was not their strategy until the 1990 season

Wow.  How did I forget that?  I must be getting old. 😆

On 12/6/2022 at 1:02 AM, Boatdrinks said:

The Bengals did have a hurry up offense but it wasn’t the Bills that faked injuries in the playoffs that year. It came to a head when the Bengals played the Seahawks in the divisional round. Seahawks players were accused of faking injuries to slow down the Cincinnati offense and to avoid being called for Offside or too many men on field when the Bengals would line up quickly and snap the ball. The league was concerned about the potential for similar shenanigans in the AFC title game and warned the Bengals for using the hurry up in this manner. They told the Bills to not fake injuries as well but informed Cincinnati that if they used their offense to create a penalty that the officials would flag both teams : Buffalo for too many men or Offside and the Bengals for unsportsmanlike conduct and the penalties would offset. Head coach Sam Wyche was furious over this ruling, but I don’t remember it being called in the game. I do remember Bruce Smith being flagged for a phantom face mask during a sack of Esiason when he actually pulled his jersey. The Bills offense was not effective that day and struggled to cross midfield. 

Your summary is good.  But in

reference to the AFCCG that I was responding to, the Bengals definitely accused the Bills of faking injuries.  Chris Collinsworth actually referred to it on air during a Sunday night game this year.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Your summary is good.  But in

reference to the AFCCG that I was responding to, the Bengals definitely accused the Bills of faking injuries.  Chris Collinsworth actually referred to it on air during a Sunday night game this year.

His recollection is probably better than mine, lol I just don’t remember it being an issue in that game. It seemed everyone was on their best behavior although we may have had a player ejected for something else. The Bills and Bengals also played in the regular season that year and maybe that’s where the accusations started. The league was definitely concerned about it leading up to the game. 

On 12/5/2022 at 3:58 PM, Fleezoid said:

When it's that obvious to cover a mistake in a substitution then i'd say yah that's worth a penalty because if they don't fake it it would be to many men on the field or a delay of game so i'm all for it ... It can't be any worse than surviving the ground on a catch can it ??

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, T master said:

When it's that obvious to cover a mistake in a substitution then i'd say yah that's worth a penalty because if they don't fake it it would be to many men on the field or a delay of game so i'm all for it ... It can't be any worse than surviving the ground on a catch can it ??

For all the times Wrecks got caught with 10 or 9 on the field, can we make this like an accounting exercise? 🤔

"Yeah, we had 12, but last week we only had 9 on the field!"

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

J. Jonah Jameson is how every team reacted to the this memo.

news-are-you-serious.gif

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.