12/1/2022 - NFL Week #13 - Bills at Pats* - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

10 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

4th straight winning season (5th in 6 years).

first team to win 3 Thursday games in a season.

first team to win all 3 thanksgiving time slots (and in four years).

first team this season to get to 6 road victories (to hell with “that was a home game”).

first team to win 3 games in 12 days.

Damn, I am so proud of these guys.

Thanks for the post! All are excellent points and very heady stuff! 5 out 6 winning seasons is awesome after following 17 years of absolute despair where mediocrity was perceived as a great and hopeful season.

Never forget. It’s what makes our current team so loved.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Just rewatched the Hamlin hit in end zone. 

By rule, the roughness call may be correct. But ejection was a bad call. 

Here’s what happens. 
Pat WR catches ball in air, returns to ground. 
Then, he lowers his head, as he is anticipating Hamlin hit. 
So he’s NOT really defenseless. Makes a move to protect himself by getting lower. 

Problem was, by getting lower, he ducks his head right into Hamlins shoulder pad. 

If he hadn’t ducked, Hamlin shoulder would have hit his chest, not his head. 

Hamlin didn’t lead with helmet. 
Hamlin didn’t launch. 
Bad call. 

I agree with this description and hopefully the Bills will "seek clarity" on the ejection as I don't believe it was flagrant and perhaps that will save Damlin a rep and a fine.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Al needs a good colorman alongside for him to work

Funny you said that.  I was thinking how "dry" Kirk is.  I think it's just his monotone voice.  He never seems to get too excited like a Nance does.  Think about that call Nance had in KC.  "HE"S GOT DAVIS!!!!"  or even Collingsworth where he amps it up.  Kirk tries, but it just doesn't come across like he is excited to be there and lucky to be calling a game.

2 minutes ago, wjag said:

3. I didn't even know Dane Jackson was playing until late in the game.

5. First game in four where the Bills secondary wasn't a dumpster fire.

To this:

It's the difference a truly effective 4 man pass rush, plus a week of practice, makes.

Dane Jackson was clean beat on a deep route at one point.  But Jones was under duress, and overthrew his receiver by a mile (essentially throwaway deep)

The Bills were (to my eyes, not necessarily reliable on broadcast) playing a lot of zone.  I saw a lot of intricate handoffs.  Jackson is a capable off-ball corner.  Taron Johnson is also good in zone coverage and with the "string" of Milano-Edmunds-Johnson in place

Po got robbed on that pick.

"Six o'clock in the morning, you're the last to hear the warning
You been tryin' to throw your arms around the world"  -U2

Well, 6:20 actually, but I woke up at 5:20 feeling rested and peaceful.

A few comments on the game:

1) the OL.  I give Quessenberry credit for toughness, but can we all send "get well cards" and hold prayer circles for Dawkins ankle? 

2) the Elbow.  "It's BACK!"

3) most interesting part of the Fitzy pregame interview: Josh commenting on how the QB is an extension of the OC, and it's been taking time for him and Dorsey to see things the same way.  (Fitzy asking Josh to sign the photo of that ...."interesting" tattoo of him was just so Fitz.  For his cousin, of course)

4) playing time.  'fess up people, who knew that John Brown was on the field for 12 snaps?  Khalil Shakir got 16 AND we saw a nice reception.

5) RB playing time.  Cook and Hines are starting to cut into Singletary's snaps: 32:22:33 or 43%:31%:44%.  For the math enabled, yes that sums to >100%, yes that means the Bills were running "pony" and 2 back sets again. 

6) But Gilliam only saw 5 or 7% of the snaps.  I really thought he was an effective player for us earlier in the season, and with the OL banged up perhaps we should see more of him?

6) Sweeney is a mixed bag.  He had an amazing downfield double block.  But then that hold on Judon which canceled that beaut of a TD throw 😬

7) McKenzie 5 catches on 5 targets for 44 yds, all of them short routes.  This is the production we want to see from slot. If McKenzie and Josh are finally building some trust and timing, that's huge

8 ) That series, 4 minutes left in the 1st half where I thought "oh no, the Mad Bomber is back" (incomplete to Davis, Allen stuffed after 2 yds, incomplete deep to Diggs).  I"m not the only one who was cussing and yelling at the TV, admit it!

9) We were not playing the defense I thought we'd play.  Xavier Rhodes got 87% of the snaps, Tre White 61%, Jackson 52%.  Taron was on the field 100%, no LB other than Milano and Edmunds got snaps, nor did Siran Neal, meaning we were in base nickel all game.  Count me as one of the guys who thought we'd play some 4-3 base, and we also did a "heavy nickel" with Siran Neal replacing Johnson last time we played NE which we didn't see today.  But we must have been moving guys around with a bit of a wrinkle.  At least, the snap counts surprised me.

10)  Overall, I think the Bills successfully took the Hoodie by surprise. I think he was very focused on taking away those quick-strike "chunk" plays with deep throws to the WR and long Allen runs, and he was successful at that (I think he wanted to take away Diggs, and he was less successful at that, in part because of how the Bills used him).  I do not think he anticipated the Bills coming out in heavy sets with 2 TE or 2 RB as much as we did, nor playing ball control, grind-it-out offense - even though we did show that against the Browns.  Good job by the Bills coaching staff!

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 2

This is the second time (Green Bay was the first) this season where it felt like the opposition just rolled over in defeat in a game that had a somewhat competitive score.  I was stunned by the lack of urgency the Pats had down 24-7 with 9 minutes and 3 timeouts.  They used up 6 of those minutes dinking and dunking their way to a FG.

• Agree 3

I have to say, i agree with a lot of the posters. I actually slept good after the game and it was the calmest i have been watching our boys play in a long time. I just never felt we were going to lose. Even after the Pats TD i was not worried. It was nice to see the Bills turn tables and go on a 7-8 min td drive. Did not think i would ever see that in a Josh offense!!! LOL Also, 3 games in 12 days..... WOW!! Never thought this team would get through that with 3 wins. As the team gets healthier it looks like it is able to cover for the other key injuries which means we have some decent depth. This 10 days off is a great thing and should get more healthy for the Jets! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.